Gubernatorial Inauguarations Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:16:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gubernatorial Inauguarations Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gubernatorial Inauguarations Official Discussion Thread  (Read 4470 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:11:19 PM »

For those posters whose states chose their Governors in November, when is their inauguration?  (Include freshmen Governors and re-elected Governors).  Also, give an early indication of your thoughts for the 2014 race when these Governors Seats will be up again.  If your state did not elect a governor in 2010, what are your thoughts on your own race in 2011, 2012, or 2013?

For Oklahoma, we elected Republican Congresswoman and former Lt Governor Mary Fallin.  She will take the oath of office on Monday, January 10, 2011 at 12:00 pm.

As of right now, I think she has to be the favorite in 2014, when at the same time, Jim Inhofe is up for re-election.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »

I'll take Kansas, my birth state, since Indiana isn't until 2012...

In Kansas, swearing in day is on the 2nd Monday in January. Next year, Sam Brownback will swear in as the 46th Governor of Kansas on January 10th.

As to 2014, regardless of the national climate, Brownback will easily be reelected. There are no Democratic candidates who could beat him statewide. The national mood will decide whether he wins by 40 points or 20 points.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:36:31 PM »

I'll do S.C., since I am living there right now.

In South Carolina, swearing in day is on January 12th. Nikki Haley will not only be the first female Governor of Soutbh Carolina, ut the first non-white Governor of South Carolina.

As to 2014, I believe it will start off as leans Republican, but if the national climate is right a Democrat could win this race.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »

For at least one state, you're too late -- Neil Abercrombie has been in office for a couple weeks already.

Virginia in 2013: since McDonnell is term-limited, it'll be a dogfight between Ken Cuccinelli and Bill Bolling, and I'd put my money on Cuccinelli. For the Democrats, Terry McAuliffe is probably going to run again, and there's the short-list of other potential candidates: Tom Perriello and State Sens. Mark Herring and Chap Petersen. McDonnell has made a mess of things in his first year in office; unless he gets his act together, he might be a drag on the Republican nominee in 2013.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »

In Wyoming, Matt Mead is to take office as the 32nd governor of the state on Monday, January 3rd, coinciding with the swearing-in of the new Congress.

With regard to 2014, barring a cosmic upset, Mead is set to be reelected in a landslide just by existing.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 05:42:59 PM »

Sean Parnell was inaugurated for his first term as Alaska's governor on Dec 6, 2010.  Dean Treadwell became the Lt Gov on the same date.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2010, 03:21:09 PM by NiK the Psychic Octopus »

In California, Jerry Brown will become the Governor on January 3rd, 2011.

Given the uncertainty of whether Brown will wish to seek re-election or not, I do not know how the race will go. Also, the state of California fiscally is dire, but if I had to guess, I'd suppose that the Democrat will win election in 2014.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

In California, Jerry Brown will become the Governor on January 3rd, 2011.

Given the uncertainty of whether Brown will wish to seek re-election or not, I do not know how the race wil go. Also, the state of California fiscally is dire, but if I had to guess, I'd suppose that the Democrat will win election in 2014.

The new Legislature has already been seated.

Brown will win in 2014 if he runs. If he doesn't, either Newsom or Harris will.
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »

In Maryland, Martin O'Malley will be sworn in for his second term as Governor on Wednesday, January 19th, 2011, at 12:00 P.M.

As for 2014, given my state's epic fail of a GOP, I don't see any reason for the Dems to lose this, and I'll even throw a possible contender's name out there: Chris Van Hollen.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 03:38:16 PM »

In Maryland, Martin O'Malley will be sworn in for his second term as Governor on Wednesday, January 19th, 2011, at 12:00 P.M.

As for 2014, given my state's epic fail of a GOP, I don't see any reason for the Dems to lose this, and I'll even throw a possible contender's name out there: Chris Van Hollen.

Given that the last time you had a pub governor Michael Steele was his Lt........yeah, don't rush to put a pub back in.  Roll Eyes
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:07 PM »

Given that the last time you had a pub governor Michael Steele was his Lt........yeah, don't rush to put a pub back in.  Roll Eyes

Oh believe me, we won't. Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

Apparently, we had some governors-elect take the oath of office on Saturday.  Among those were Democrat Andrew Cuomo of New York succeeding Democrat David Paterson.  We also had Republican Susana Martinez of New Mexico succeeding Democrat Bill Richardson.  I know there was at least one other inauguration over the weekend, but I seem to have lost the article.  Also, as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, Democrat Jerry Brown of California will succeed Republican Arnold Schwarzeneggar tomorrow.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:26:29 AM »

Apparently, we had some governors-elect take the oath of office on Saturday.  Among those were Democrat Andrew Cuomo of New York succeeding Democrat David Paterson.  We also had Republican Susana Martinez of New Mexico succeeding Democrat Bill Richardson.

Throw in Rick Snyder succeeding Jennifer Granholm in Michigan.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:37 AM »

Apparently, we had some governors-elect take the oath of office on Saturday.  Among those were Democrat Andrew Cuomo of New York succeeding Democrat David Paterson.  We also had Republican Susana Martinez of New Mexico succeeding Democrat Bill Richardson.

Throw in Rick Snyder succeeding Jennifer Granholm in Michigan.

Ahh, yes, that's the one I was thinking of!! Thank you. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 12:31:12 AM »

Brian Sandoval's is tomorrow.  Jim Gibbons won't be attending.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 12:36:32 AM »

Brian Sandoval's is tomorrow.  Jim Gibbons won't be attending.

I can't begin to think why.

Mead's also stepping up tomorrow, thinking of it. Ah, Freudenthal, we'll miss you.
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:36:47 AM »

Maryland which has been covered - O'Malley will be sworn in January 19, 2011.

Likely in 2014, the Lt. Governor, Anthony Brown, will try a run. And probably will win the nomination and general election. It's Maryland and very unlikely go red anytime soon.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 02:37:50 PM »

Jerry Brown is now Governor of CA (again).

Yes !

Smiley
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2011, 03:33:26 PM by SvenssonRS »

The legacy of Dave Freudenthal: relatively low unemployment, spectacular clashes with two federal administrations, and a budget surplus of $1 billion. Equating to an approval rating of 90%.

Hope you can live up to that, Governor Mead.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »

The legacy of Dave Freudenthal: relatively low unemployment, spectacular clashes with two federal administrations, and a budget surplus of $1 billion. Equating to an approval rating of 90%.

Hope you can live up to that, Governor Mead.

As long as the coal and natural gas doesn't run out, he shouldn't have much trouble.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 12:46:08 AM »

Well it sure feels good to no longer have Tim Pawlenty as my Governor.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 12:52:46 AM »

Well it sure feels good to no longer have Tim Pawlenty as my Governor.

I read a headline somewhere that he regrets not seeking a third term.  I didn't read the article, just caught a headline, but I thought "woulda, shoulda, coulda" and one of my favorite sayings "If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt".

For your sake, I'm glad Pawlenty is no longer the Governor of Minnesota.  I hope Governor Dayton does your state some good!!

What do you think of Governor Dayton?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »

As I've said, Mary Fallin is set to take the oath of office at Noon on Monday, January 10, 2011.  As I mentioned in the Winter Weather thread in the Off-topic board, there is supposed to be a snow storm with bitter cold temperatures in Oklahoma City on Monday.  Governor-elect Mary Fallin and Lt Governor-elect Todd Lamb could be taking their respective oaths of office with a little shiver in their voices!!!  This is setting up to be the coldest inauguration in Oklahoma in quite some time.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 11:23:53 PM »
« Edited: January 04, 2011, 11:26:21 PM by Liberalrocks »

Jerry Brown is now Governor of CA (again).

Yes !

Smiley
Couldn't be happier here! Im so glad it was a democratic sweep here in California. Brown, Boxer on down. I am watching Lt Governor Gavin Newsom and Attorney General Kamala Harris very closely. I believe they are rising stars in the democratic party.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 01:10:11 PM »

It's official - Oklahoma has her first female governor.  Republican Mary Copeland Fallin took the oath of office at 12:02 pm on Monday, January 10, 2011.  She is the 27th Governor of the State of Oklahoma.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies