One week from tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:05:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  One week from tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: One week from tomorrow  (Read 1780 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »

On Monday, January 3, 2011, the 112th Congress is sworn in by Vice President Joseph R. Biden and the gavel will be handed from Speaker-soon-to-be-Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to Minority-Leader-soon-to-be-Speaker John Boehner.  I believe the first actual legislative session, according to Wikipedia, begins on Wednesday, January 5, 2011.

What are your final pre-game expectations for the next two years?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »

I expect a lot of partisan gridlock. A few good pieces of bi-partisan legislation will go through, but nothing major will happen. But unless President Obama can win reelection and get back solid Democratic majorities, he will have no more major legislative accomplishments.
Heading into the 2012 elections, Republicans will blame the gridlock on the Democrats, and the Democrats will blame the gridlock on the Republicans.

I think that pretty much sums up what most are thinking. Wink
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »

I expect a lot of partisan gridlock. A few good pieces of bi-partisan legislation will go through, but nothing major will happen. But unless President Obama can win reelection and get back solid Democratic majorities, he will have no more major legislative accomplishments.
Heading into the 2012 elections, Republicans will blame the gridlock on the Democrats, and the Democrats will blame the gridlock on the Republicans.

Would it be fair to assume that President Obama is in an early lame-duck status?  With 2012 not looking really good for him, could he be a lame duck just 2 years after inauguration?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »

Would it be fair to assume that President Obama is in an early lame-duck status?  With 2012 not looking really good for him, could he be a lame duck just 2 years after inauguration?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't particularly like him, but I think that Obama will win in a small landslide, and I know that I'm not alone.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 10:09:34 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I don't particularly like him, but I think that Obama will win in a small landslide, and I know that I'm not alone.

Based on where Bushie is from, I imagine he is surrounded by people talking like he's been a lame duck since November 2008.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 12:17:05 AM »

I've heard Obama has been working on a tax overhaul that will supposedly somehow appeal to the tea party rhetoric so I'm interested in seeing how that plays out.  I don't think there is any hope for meaningful immigration or energy legislation.  From the Republican side, I suspect there will be a ton of political posturing via House hearings/investigations and lots of effort put into repealing Obamacare with not much to show for either in the end.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »

At this point, Obama's chances at re-election are exactly the same they were 2 years ago: I'd say, roughly 2:1. It is simply too early to start updating meaningfully: a lot will happen between now and November 2012. His chances of winning OK, of course, are negligible - the same they were in 2008. But the world isn't all Oklahoma.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »

Let me ask this again... Anybody know which network will cover the swearing-in, and when?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »

Let me ask this again... Anybody know which network will cover the swearing-in, and when?

C-span?
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:45:57 PM »

3 more days of Gov Crist. Sad
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »

C-span?

That's my guess, but what time are they supposed to swear-in?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »

C-span?

I know it's around noon for the House.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 01:17:38 PM »

C-span?

Noon tomorrow?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 05:41:06 PM »

C-span?

Noon tomorrow?

That's what I thought. Weeks ago, I heard that swearing in was on January 5th this year (a later than usual date). Then I heard it was January 3rd. I was all set to go down to DC tomorrow until I found out it's actually Wednesday.  Tongue
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »

C-span?

Noon tomorrow?

That's what I thought. Weeks ago, I heard that swearing in was on January 5th this year (a later than usual date). Then I heard it was January 3rd. I was all set to go down to DC tomorrow until I found out it's actually Wednesday.  Tongue

I had always thought the swearing-in was January 3, but the session didn't actually begin until January 5.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:37 PM »

Fun fact:

This year is the first year without a Kennedy in Washington since 1948.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:17 PM »

Fun fact:

This year is the first year without a Kennedy in Washington since 1948.

Wow, that is true since Ted Kennedy passed and Patrick left.  I hadn't thought about that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/t/the-112th-congress-conven_22327045589565441.html

If Huff is correct, the new Congress will be sworn in at 2:25 pm EST.  If anyone has more correct information, let me know.  Thanks!
cowboy300
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:42:01 PM »

Prediction: What Dems don't vote for Pelosi?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/t/the-112th-congress-conven_22327045589565441.html

If Huff is correct, the new Congress will be sworn in at 2:25 pm EST.  If anyone has more correct information, let me know.  Thanks!

CNN announced during the Situation Room about an hour ago that Wolf Blitzer and the political team will anchor a special coverage of the swearing-in from 12:00-3:00 Eastern tomorrow.

Also, Speaker-designate John Boehner will live stream the swearing-in on his facebook page and on the GOP's "Pledge to America" facebook page beginning at Noon Eastern.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies