Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 12:58:02 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election What-ifs? (Moderators: Bacon King, Dallasfan65)
| | |-+  Say What?!: A President Barry Goldwater Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Say What?!: A President Barry Goldwater Timeline  (Read 5897 times)
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 10:02:41 am »
Ignore

Gallup Polls, May 14, 1968
Republican Presidential Primary, Nationwide Polling

Barry Goldwater (AZ): 36%
John Volpe (MA): 34%
George Romney (MI): 25%
Undecided: 5%

Republican Senatorial Primary in California
Thomas Kuchel (inc): 47%

Barry Goldwater Jr.: 45%
Undecided: 8%

Republican Presidential Primary in California
John Volpe (MA): 33%

Barry Goldwater (AZ): 31%
George Romney (MI): 20%
Undecided: 19%

California Senate Election, 1968

Thomas Kuchel: 44%

Alan Cranston: 43%
Undecided: 13%

Alan Cranston: 46%

Barry Goldwater Jr.: 42%
Undecided: 12%

“The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century.”
-George Romney, in Florida

“I will never use Federal force to enforce unconstitutional rulings from unelected judges. I strongly believe in state’s rights, and I want to return local control over issues that ought to be handled at the local level, such as education.”
-Barry Goldwater, in Florida

“We must achieve peace in Vietnam, but we must achieve peace with honor to maintain our national integrity and reputation.”
-John Volpe, in Oregon

“I have consistently voted to uphold and expand Social Security benefits. I would never do anything to take away the Social Security benefits of those who have paid into the system and who have planned their retirements for Social Security. It’s one of the few reasons why you shouldn’t vote for the Democrats this year: the Democrats have placed Social Security into the general budget so that they can use Social Security funds to hide the overwhelmingly high costs of the ‘Great Society’ and this no-win war. The Social Security trust fund should be used for one thing only, and that is to pay for your Social Security. I will end this plundering of the Social Security funds and get the government off of your backs!”
-Barry Goldwater, in Florida

“Contrary to common analysis now, the Barry Goldwater campaign was dismayed at Volpe’s late entry. Of course Florida was going to go strongly for Barry Goldwater regardless of whether Volpe was in the race or not, but Volpe posed a credible challenge in remaining primaries; namely Oregon, California, New Jersey, South Dakota, and Illinois. Clifton White’s thinking was that because of Romney’s implosion, Goldwater would sweep the remaining primaries without any trouble. After all, few Republicans would have voted for a candidate who believed that there wasn’t any Soviet domination of Eastern Europe, and even moderate Rockefeller Republicans were expected to join the Goldwater camp reluctantly. However, John Volpe provided an outlet for Rockefeller Republicans disenchanted with the gaffe-prone Romney. Early polling showed Volpe competitive in the remaining primaries, due to the positive press he had received due to his declaration of his candidacy. There was even some talk of Volpe pulling away moderate Republicans who had reluctantly grown to support Goldwater as a means to prevent Romney from winning the Republican nomination.
Despite initial fears, Volpe’s surge in the polls quickly dissipated as the weeks went on. This is generally attributed to the weak campaign Volpe ran; very few Republicans remained enthused about Volpe, and both Goldwater and Romney ran more energetic campaigns. Additionally, Volpe was stuck in a tight position. As the moderate candidate, he could not afford to overly attack Romney’s political positions, because doing so would alienate liberal Republicans who were disenchanted with Romney for his personal flaws. Volpe could not overly attack Goldwater’s political positions either, because doing so would alienate moderate-conservative Goldwater Republicans who wanted to stop Romney from getting the nomination but found Goldwater too extreme. Volpe mostly stuck with platitudes, and was unable to satisfy either faction of the Republican Party.
Though George Romney knew he could not win the nomination, let alone the general election, Romney refused to back out of the race. ‘I will not put all of our hard work to waste to give a political opportunist ammunition,’ replied Romney to reporters. Romney would fault Nelson Rockefeller for not doing enough to ward off the Volpe challenge, and vowed to take the fight all the way to the Republican National Convention. Rumors bounded that Romney tried to contact Volpe, begging him to stop his campaign, but Volpe refused. After the primaries on May 28 (Florida and Oregon), all three candidates agreed to a televised debate in California. The California primary was important: if Goldwater won it, he would essentially lock up the Republican nomination. If either of the three candidates made a mistake, there could be huge consequences.”
-Before The Storm: Barry Goldwater And The Unmaking Of The American Consensus, by Rick Perlstein

May 28, 1968
Florida Presidential Primaries, 1968
Republicans:
Barry Goldwater (AZ): 58.3%

George Romney (MI): 26.1%
John Volpe (MA): 15.6%

Democrats:
George Smathers (FL): 50.7% *

Eugene McCarthy (MN): 41.0%

*Favorite son candidate as a stand-in for Hubert Humphrey

Oregon Presidential Primaries, 1968
Republicans:

George Romney (MI): 43.4%

Barry Goldwater (AZ): 36.5%
John Volpe (MA): 20.1%

Democrats:
Eugene McCarthy (MN): 100%

May 31, 1968 (Debate Excerpt)
Moderator: Senator Goldwater, you have been criticized by both parties for your conservative ideology, which is viewed by many as extreme and alien. In 1964, Martin Luther King Jr. said that you represented “an unrealistic conservatism that was totally out of touch with the realities of the twentieth century.” He proceeded to say that you “had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated” and that “On the urgent issue of civil rights, [you] represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal.” Senator Goldwater, this is your chance to explain the reasons behind your political views, and how they fit in the mainstream American political spectrum.
Goldwater: Thank you. There are many reasons for my conservative beliefs. I believe, with all my heart, that America is the greatest country in the world. But America didn’t become the greatest country in the world by accident. American became the greatest country in the world because we embraced liberty and capitalism. American businesses are the best in the world. We see new technological and industrial developments every day. An employee can rise up the economic ladder and become an employer, regardless of his wealth, his education, or his family background. Entrepreneurs are finding new ways to create wealth every day, and we are all the richer for it. Those in poverty have been shown to be more than capable of lifting themselves up through the free market. But there are forces threatening America’s status as the greatest country in the world. In a mistaken attempt to help the poor, the left supports a massive expansion of government into the economy. They wish to expand the government into all facets of our lives, which will cripple our economy and make it harder for anybody to succeed. They have already started with the ‘Great Society.’ Make no mistake about it: welfarism is detrimental to the well being of the poor and the American dream. The recipient of welfarism concedes to the government the ultimate power: the power to grant or withhold the necessities of life as the government sees fit. Welfarism turns man from a dignified, self-reliant human being into a dependent animal creature with no hopes of a better future. What conservatives understand is that only the free market can take care of the poor on both a spiritual and economic level. I am a conservative because I want to continue to see America remain the freest and most prosperous nation there ever was.

“I honestly made up that answer on the fly, and thought nothing of it. But when I came off the stage and walked in into my dressing room, Clifton White was beaming, and told me it was the best debate answer that I’d ever given. We then realized the best way to articulate my economically conservative beliefs (when I had to) was to hone in on American exceptionalism. After all, America is the greatest country in the world because of our liberty—not in spite of it. I understood American exceptionalism quite well; my grandfather, who was a Jewish immigrant from Poland, founded Goldwater’s Department Store. My family understood the American way of capitalism and liberty were the best ways to lift up the poor, and that Americans could do anything.”
-With No Apologies: The Memoirs of Barry Goldwater

“President Goldwater often talked about the greatness of America, and how it was that way because we embraced liberty and capitalism. Well, I’ll tell you that these ideas still hold true in American society today. We’re the greatest nation in the world. We’re the most humanitarian nation in the world. But America is not inherently the greatest nation in the world. If we reject the pathway that made us great, if we keep on piling on our national debt, we will losing everything that we consider dear to us.”
-Rand Paul, running for [REDACTED] of Kentucky, 20xx
hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 10:03:07 am »
Ignore

June 4, 1968

California Presidential Primaries, 1968
Republicans:
Barry Goldwater (AZ): 46.0%
George Romney (MI): 31.4%
John Volpe (MA): 22.6%

Democrats:

California Republican Senatorial Primary, 1964
Barry Goldwater, Jr.: 51.6%
Thomas Kuchel (inc): 48.4%

New Jersey Presidential Primaries, 1968
Republicans:
Barry Goldwater (AZ): 37.5%
George Romney (MI): 36.6%
John Volpe (MA): 25.9%

Democrats:
Richard Hughes (NJ): 70.0% *
Eugene McCarthy (MN): 28.8%

Favorite son candidate as a stand in for Hubert Humphrey

South Dakota Presidential Primaries, 1968
Republicans:
Barry Goldwater (AZ): 50.9%
George Romney (MI): 30.3%
John Volpe (MA): 18.8%

Democrats:

The New York Times
June 5, 1968
Barry Goldwater Wins California Primary And Secures Republican Nomination
“June 4th was a great day for the Goldwater family, not only had my father all but secured the Republican nomination, but I won my primary against Senator Kuchel. Now was the time for damage control for the both of us. The Democrats had nominated Alan Cranston to go against me, and he was as strong of an opponent as you could get. Post-primary polls showed me up 46%-44%, but a lot of that was a post-primary bounce: I had received tons of positive coverage in the media because I was able to beat an incumbent Senator in the primary. Now was the time to appeal to the moderates, and I couldn’t help but wonder how I was going to do that without compromising my principles. My victory in California depended a lot on my father, and vice versa for him. If he got crushed in California, then I’d likely fall along with him. But if Californians strongly rejected me, my father’s chances of winning the Golden State would be majorly decreased, and it was pretty clear my father needed to win California to win the election. Somehow I doubted that Californians would reject one Goldwater but not the other. Though neither of us talked about it, both my father and son were strongly hoping the other wouldn’t mess up.”
-Decisions From The Shadows: The Memoirs of Barry Goldwater Jr.

“Barry Goldwater Jr. had learned much from his father’s campaign about what not to do. He had seen his father fumble with Social Security, farm supports, and civil rights. He had come to the conclusion that to run the best campaign, he had to convince voters that he wasn’t crazy, and focused on key issues, giving broad outlines instead of details that could turn away voters. In fact, many analysts have concluded that if it weren’t for Barry Goldwater Jr.’s near-flawless campaign, his father might have had a tough time winning the Golden State. Indeed, Barry Goldwater Sr. did better than expected in California, most likely because of his son’s coattails.”
-Before The Storm: Barry Goldwater And The Unmaking Of The American Consensus, by Rick Perlstein

Gallup Poll, June 6, 1968:

Vice President Hubert Humphrey: 47%

Senator Barry Goldwater: 39%

Undecided: 14%

Vice President Hubert Humphrey: 51%

Governor George Romney: 37%

Vice President Hubert Humphrey: 41%

Governor John Volpe: 38%

Undecided: 21%

Senator Eugene McCarthy: 43%

Senator Barry Goldwater: 43%

Undecided: 14%

Senator Eugene McCarthy: 42%

Governor George Romney: 42%

Undecided: 16%

Governor John Volpe: 49%

Senator Eugene McCarthy: 37%

June 11, 1968
Illinois Presidential Primaries, 1968
Republicans:
Barry Goldwater (AZ): 43.0%

George Romney (MI): 33.1%
John Volpe (MA): 21.9%

Democrats:

“With the nomination locked up, Goldwater had the daunting task of uniting the fractured Republican Party in time for the general election. While the Republican Party was still somewhat united over opposition to the Johnson administration, Goldwater’s Vice Presidential pick would have to be one that would mollify Rockefeller Republicans who were terrified of the Arizona Senator. Goldwater began to look for potential running mates, examining the backgrounds of key Republican stars who would satisfy Rockefeller’s faction of the Republican Party.
Goldwater first declared to his campaign staff that under no circumstances would he accept a running mate who was opposed to the Vietnam War. This threw out names such as Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon and Senator Clifford Case of New Jersey. Goldwater’s vice presidential choices narrowed down, with several potential running mates including Illinois Governor Charles Percy, Rhode Island Governor John Chafee, Arkansas Governor Winthrop Rockefeller, Congressman George H.W. Bush, and Massachusetts Governor John Volpe.
Goldwater’s presidential campaign had come to the conclusion that economic policy would not be the winning issue. The economy was in relatively good shape, and rhetoric about changing United States economic policy could be an unnecessary risk in the general election. There were three issues that Barry Goldwater’s campaign staff urged him to press: foreign policy, law and order, and cultural issues. Goldwater begrudgingly accepted this, and focused his national campaign on these issues.”
-Before The Storm: Barry Goldwater And The Unmaking Of The American Consensus
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 10:37:50 am »
Ignore

Great Update! While I don't self identify as a Libertarian, it is interesting to read about them, and I like how Rand Paul refers to "President Goldwater" the same way Conservatives today might refer to President Reagan. It'd be cool if Barry chose Bush or Winthrop Rockefeller as his running mate. Even though Bush was only a one term Congressman, he had been considered in real life in 1968 for Vice-President.

hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »
Ignore

Head To Head Matchup

344 - 194

Close States/Toss-Ups: IL, OH, CA, ND, SD, MT, KY, NM, IN, NV, MO, NJ, NH, DE, PA

“Looks like you’ll be anointed, Hubert.”
-LBJ to HHH, privately

The New York Times
August 9, 1968

GOLDWATER NOMINATED BY THE REPUBLICAN PARTY
PICKS GOVERNOR WINTHROP ROCKELLER AS RUNNING MATE

"When the strongest nation in the world can be tied down for four years in a war in Vietnam with no end in sight; when the richest nation in the world can't manage its own economy; when the nation with the greatest tradition of the rule of law is plagued by unprecedented lawlessness; when a nation that has been known for a century for equality of opportunity is torn by unprecedented racial violence; and when the President of the United States cannot travel abroad or to any major city at home without fear of a hostile demonstration -- then it's time for new leadership for the United States of America."
-Barry Goldwater in his nomination speech

“I am announcing my change to the Republican Party. I am endorsing Senator Barry Goldwater for the presidency.”
-Strom Thurmond

“I remember the 1968 Republican convention very well. All in all, the Republicans were more united than they were in 1964. It seemed as though there was much less consternation among the Rockefeller and Goldwater factions of the Republican Party, particularly after my father honed in on issues that both wings agreed on (such as the war, law and order, etc.). What probably also helped was the fact that the Rockefeller candidates fizzled out during the primary season, and the battle between my father and George was much less intense than the battle between my father and Nelson four years ago.
Despite the overall unity, it was quite shocking to hear that my father had selected a Rockefeller as his running mate. I remember advising my father not to do it a few weeks before the convention, but he did it anyway. Some of his campaign advisers were quite concerned that Winthrop’s complicated martial life could cost Goldwater the election. Nevertheless, Clifton White ended up suggesting it for the reason that Winthrop's selection as Vice President would serve as an olive branch to Nelson Rockefeller and his Rockefeller Republicans. After all, Nelson couldn't not endorse a ticket with his brother on it: it would look like brotherly jealousy. There was also the fact that Nelson genuinely wanted to see his brother reach higher office, and he would be blamed for preventing Winthrop from doing so if he refused to endorse the Goldwater/Rockefeller ticket. Aside from the obvious blood connection, Winthrop had enough of a record as a reformer to please progressives, but was moderate enough to avoid alienating my father's wing of the party. He took steps to expand the Arkansas' educational system, reform the state prison system, integrate the draft board and state police, etc. Ultimately, few were turned off by the choice of Winthrop Rockefeller, and enough Rockefeller Republicans were pacified to have a functional Republican ticket.
This wasn't to say that Winthrop's selection didn't have its problems. Immediately after Winthrop's selection was announced, my father privately approached him and told him bluntly: 'Look. I don't give a damn if you actually vote for me or not, but if we're going to win this thing, there's going to have to be some rules. Do not, under any circumstances, give any sign that you disagree with our platform. Is that clear?' Winthrop reluctantly agreed, and we made sure that Winthrop only campaigned in places where he was sure to be popular. Very rarely did my father campaign with Winthrop, until the last few days of the campaign. Even as president, my father kept Winthrop locked away; Winthrop was rarely invited to cabinet meetings. In some ways, I don't think that Winthrop regretted being kept out of the loop. I remember reading some of his published diary entries where he said he opposed what my father was doing. Nevertheless, Winthrop was much more amenable than his brother."
-Decisions From The Shadows: The Memoirs of Barry Goldwater Jr.

Winthrop Rockefeller and Barry Goldwater Jr. At The GOP National Convention

Gallup Poll, August 10, 1968:

Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey/???: 49%

Senator Barry M. Goldwater/Governor Winthrop A. Rockefeller: 41%

Undecided: 8%

August 11, 1968
INTERVIEWER: Can you tell us who you will be voting for on election day?
Nelson Rockefeller: ...I will be voting for Barry Goldwater this November.
INTERVIEWER: Do you encourage all of your friends and supporters to do so as well?
Nelson Rockefeller: …Yes.

The New York Times
August 13, 1968
GOVERNOR GEORGE WALLACE ENDORSES BARRY GOLDWATER

In a surprise to many political pundits, George Wallace announced today that he would endorse Republican nominee Barry Goldwater for the presidency. Many expected Wallace to run a third party candidacy. Indeed, many of Wallace’s supporters were disappointed that Wallace had endorsed a candidate who had voted for the Voting Rights Act of 1965, but George Wallace shrugged off segregationist concerns, saying that “Barry Goldwater is the right man to lead the nation in these troubled times. We could either have Barry Goldwater, who is with us 75% of the time (if not more), or we could either have Hubert Humphrey, who is with us 0% of the time.” Despite Wallace’s endorsement, Barry Goldwater has not thanked or acknowledged Wallace for his endorsement.

September 27, 19xx
INTERVIEWER: Can you tell me about your experience with Barry Goldwater?
John Lennon: I f-----g hated Barry Goldwater when he was president. I thought that his presidency was the s------st piece of s--t at the time. I still dislike what he did as president to this very day, and I wouldn't have voted for him. But his philosophy is f-----g hard to characterize, and the both of us supporting [REDACTED] against [REDACTED] in 19yy...no, 19zz. I remember being surprised at his endorsement of [REDACTED], and I think he was surprised at the circumstances that led him to support the same candidate that John Lennon and Yoko Ono. The media was really surprised too, and the two of us agreed to appear together in a few commercials and campaign appearances for [REDACTED], which everybody thought was f-----g weird, and it really was. But I got to know Barry Goldwater and his son pretty well, and they're alright people. I just wish their politics were different.
(Author's note: I know this sounds really ASB, and it might be, but wait and see it when it comes. Hopefully the Lennon-Goldwater political alliance will make sense when we get there, but I will say that neither Lennon nor Goldwater are changing their political positions or philosophies).
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »
Ignore

Awesome update! I like the choice of Winthrop Rockefeller. A moderate who would appease the Liberals, as well as bring in Arkansas.

However, my complaint would be all the "[redacted]"s and the blocking stuff out. I know it adds to the mystery, but it's weird to read and stuff.

hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 07:42:01 pm »
Ignore

Thanks man! I'll start toning down on all the redacteds and stuff. Wink
hantheguitarman
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 10:38:02 pm »
Ignore

Here's a short update on the Democratic Party:

August 26, 1968

Chicago, Illinois
Democratic National Convention, 1968

Hubert Humphrey’s nomination by the Democratic Party was almost a given from the very beginning. Although Eugene McCarthy performed well in the primaries and had the anti-war left solidly behind him, he had absolutely no chance of winning the Democratic Party nomination. Democratic Party bosses, such as Richard Daley, despised McCarthy and did everything in their power to stop McCarthy from winning the nomination. With 75% of the delegates controlled by Daley and co., Humphrey was nominated on the first ballot, with McCarthy coming nowhere close to Humphrey in terms of delegate numbers. McCarthy and his supporters were livid at the fact that McCarthy lost even though a plurality of Democratic Party voters had voted for him. With the intense polarization at the Democratic Party convention, it was no surprise that riots broke out. The Chicago police reacted with violent force, beating and gassing the protesters. The protesters, however, refused to go quietly in the night, and they fought back at the police, throwing anything they could find and shouting: “the whole world is watching.” As if matters couldn’t be made worse, Eugene McCarthy and his delegates walked out of the convention, disgusted at the outcome. The Democratic National Convention was televised, and the entire nation saw a splintering Democratic Party (author's note: the anti-war riots at the DNC were worse than OTL). Post convention polling showed that Humphrey’s eight point lead had been cut in half, showing a disturbingly close race considering his Republican opponent was Barry Goldwater.
Although Hubert Humphrey was concerned about the anti-war left’s desertion, President Johnson shrugged off McCarthy, assuring Humphrey that Goldwater was too extreme to win nationally, and that McCarthy wouldn’t make a dent in the polls. Johnson thus refused to allow Humphrey to repudiate current Vietnam War policy, in fear of reducing troop morale. Humphrey knew that without McCarthy’s support, he would have to hold onto the blue-collar vote in order to win the election. Though blue-collar workers were intimidated (to say the least) by Barry Goldwater’s economic proposals, they were fed up with the status quo and the general direction of the country. George Wallace’s endorsement had also made blue collar workers consider voting for Goldwater, and this worried Humphrey greatly. Humphrey understood that he couldn’t pick a dogmatically dovish running mate, as many blue-collar workers were hawkish on foreign policy issues (or at the very least, they opposed the immediate withdrawal policies of the new left). With this in mind, Hubert Humphrey announced that his Vice Presidential selection would be Senator Henry “Scoop” Jackson, a hawkish New Dealer. Jackson strongly appealed to blue-collar workers, the working class, and Southerners. Jackson’s greatest weakness however, was his support for the Vietnam War, but the new left had already deserted the Democratic Party, leading Humphrey to conclude that Jackson’s strengths outweighed his weaknesses.

“I cannot, in good conscience, vote to maintain the status quo. I will not vote for Hubert Humphrey, nor will I vote for the reactionary Barry Goldwater. I am announcing my independent candidacy for the presidency, with Congressman Don Edwards as my running mate.”
-Eugene McCarthy, August 28 1968

“I think what was really galling at the convention was that I had the entire anti-war left behind me 100%. Yet the convention bosses chose to pick their darling, even though we clearly made our voices heard through the primary process. If the convention rules were completely fair, Humphrey wouldn’t have stood a chance at winning the Democratic nomination, and I would’ve been the Democratic nominee.”
-Eugene McCarthy, 19xx

Gallup Poll, August 31, 1968:

Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey/Senator Henry M. Jackson: 47%

Senator Barry M. Goldwater/Governor Winthrop A. Rockefeller: 43%

Senator Eugene J. McCarthy/Representative William D. Edwards: 3%

Undecided: 7%
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »
Ignore

Scoop! Cheesy One of my favorite Cold War Democrats.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout