Why do (modern) conservatives seem to despise TR?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:07:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why do (modern) conservatives seem to despise TR?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why do (modern) conservatives seem to despise TR?  (Read 2081 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »

Why do modern conservatives and libertarians despise Theodore Roosevelt?
I mean, Ronald Reagan, who is considered the father of modern Conservatives, seemed to really admire TR and even had a whole year celebration of his birth.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 09:02:17 PM »

Glenn Beck told them to. They hadn't given im much thought until last year.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »

Why do modern conservatives and libertarians despise Theodore Roosevelt?
I mean, Ronald Reagan, who is considered the father of modern Conservatives, seemed to really admire TR and even had a whole year celebration of his birth.

yo...

Race/ethnic compostion: White
Religion: Christian (interdenominational)
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 195 lbs
Where you were born: Houston
Favorite President:  TR
Favorite Sports team:  Dallas Cowboys
Your other interests:  astronomy
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »

There are exceptions.
Not all modern conservatives hate him, but it seems the leading (or loudest) voices if you will like Beck, Andrew Napolitano, Ron Paul, etc do. Someone like Sarah Palin probably wouldn't even know who TR was if you asked her, so she doesn't count.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »

I personally like Theodore Roosevelt, he is one of our best presidents. In fact I'm currently reading a book on him. This is the first I'm hearing about any hate by conservatives. Surely there are some loud mouth pundits who may hate him, but It seems like you making a generalization here.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »

I don't know, they're vicious partisans and he left the party?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 12:44:39 AM »

He was also from New York City, which doesn't win him any favors with the right.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:56 AM »

He was also from New York City, which doesn't win him any favors with the right.
...and he was a National Park loving hippie!

I agree with 9iron though, I don't think the OP's premise stands.  I always assumed most conservatives like TR, though I have seen a few lately speak poorly of him.  There is certainly a lot to like and not like about the man, but he was most assuredly a man's man despite being from NYC/the NorthEast.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:07:47 AM »

There was a rapid expansion of government control during his term, he was a war monger, and I personally hate him because oh McKinley,  Thomas Reed would have been a much better president.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Deal

Nuff said.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »

The Square Deal was just some sane regulation. I don't know how anyone could in good conscience hate that, unless of course they want corporations to de facto run this country.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 03:38:19 AM »

The Square Deal was just some sane regulation. I don't know how anyone could in good conscience hate that, unless of course they want corporations to de facto run this country.

Duh!
Why do you think Citizens United was decided the way it was decided, overturning a century of precedent?
Mjh

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 06:08:08 AM »

I don't know of any widespread dislike of Theodore Roosevelt on the right.

Can't LBJ Revivalist rather just make a new thread about how Republicans wants to take the country back to the Gilded Age and reinstate slavery or something?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:25:44 AM »

Anyone else remember this time in the 2000 primary when all the GOP candidates were naming TR as their favorite past president? Or was it just McCain and L. Dole?
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:29:45 AM »

Anyone else remember this time in the 2000 primary when all the GOP candidates were naming TR as their favorite past president? Or was it just McCain and L. Dole?

I can't see him taking that title away from Reagan, didn't McCain claim to be a foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »

I can't see him taking that title away from Reagan, didn't McCain claim to be a foot soldier in the Reagan Revolution?

No no, McCain's hero is TR as you can see.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »

In the same sentence that he declares himself a "conservative" he claims TR is his hero. A bit conflicting...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »

In the same sentence that he declares himself a "conservative" he claims TR is his hero. A bit conflicting...

Hey I'm not sticking up for McCain just showing you what he said. Wink
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 09:51:38 AM »

Maybe it's like being featured on a coin or something, because he was still alive (and yet too sick to contribute) they were respectful about how they cited him.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 05:16:59 AM »

Reagan considered himself a conservative and considered TR an American Hero, and seemed to have great admiration for him.

TR was just an excellent reformer who introduced some much needed reforms to our country, IMO.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »

Maybe it's like being featured on a coin or something, because he was still alive (and yet too sick to contribute) they were respectful about how they cited him.
He made it this far, why not?

Reagan considered himself a conservative and considered TR an American Hero, and seemed to have great admiration for him.

TR was just an excellent reformer who introduced some much needed reforms to our country, IMO.
That he was, but he was also an imperialist and a man that had no respect for the Constitution, Wilson at least got his reforms through with amendments.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:38 AM »

Glenn Beck told them to. They hadn't given im much thought until last year.

^^^ This.

There is still a lot of Party literature that references TR along with Reagan and Lincoln as one of our finest Presidents and so far the Birchers haven't managed to eliminate all of it.   Some conservatives do reference his quotes on immigration -- which pretty much sums up today's responsible conservative position.  Its the libertarians, and followers of Beck, who look upon him with disdain for using the authority of the government to protect God's creation.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 03:24:27 PM »

because he was a liberal
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 04:50:50 PM »

Just that? We don't like him for any specific reason, just cause he's a liberal?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:20 PM »

Just that? We don't like him for any specific reason, just cause he's a liberal?
I mean, that's the reason yall don't like Obama/Clinton/Carter/Kerry/JFK/FDR/etc., so why not him too?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies