Reagan Wins Republican Nomination 1976!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:27:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Reagan Wins Republican Nomination 1976!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Author Topic: Reagan Wins Republican Nomination 1976!  (Read 86999 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:06 AM »

Presidential Debate: October 19, 1980

Dan Rather: Welcome everyone to the only Presidential Debate of 1980.  We have, for the first time in this debate format, 4 candidates here.  They are President Reagan, Senator Ted Kennedy, Congressman John Anderson and Ed Clark.  The first question is, how would you lower unemployment?  President Reagan?

Reagan: Thanks to Dan for moderating and my 3 opponents for attending tonight.  As far as unemployment goes, I need Congress to stop wanting to spend.  If Congress would cooperate with me at least 80 or 90% of the time I'd be happy.  We just can't keep spending and stuff.

Kennedy: Thanks to Dan and my 3 opponents for being here.  I want to say as far as unemployment the President hasn't done a thing.  He won't cooperate with Congress at all.  We tried to pass legislation for a Department of Education as well as a Clean Air Act and he vetoed them.

Anderson: I want to thank Dan for being here as well as my 3 opponents.  President Reagan hasn't done anything with unemployment.  We have both parties that don't want to compromise that why voting for me would be better.

Clark:
I too want to thank Dan for moderating and my 3 opponents for being here.  We can't be spending all this money.  Taxing people too much causes problems.

Will continue later.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2011, 11:29:51 PM by TommyC1776 »

Dan Rather: Second question, what should we do about the Iranian hostage crisis?  Senator Kennedy?

Kennedy: We should talk with Iran and then use force if necessary.  President Reagan would destroy Iran and start another war.

Reagan: I want to say first that we should use force for the Iranian hostage freedom.

Anderson: I agree with the Senator on this issue.

Clark: I don't believe more military spending would be right.

Dan Rather: Last question, what's your opinion on Nuclear Arms Treaties?  Congressman Anderson?

Anderson: I believe we need to have a treaty for Nuclear Arms.  Every President for the past 35 years or so has supported Nuclear Arms treaties.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »

Clark: We need to have treaties.

Kennedy: Treaties are necessary and President Reagan will get rid of them.  That's why I believe I'm better than the President here.

Reagan: I believe that the SALT Treaty is flawed.  I wouldn't support it.

Dan Rather: Well that's it everyone.  Thanks for watching and remember to vote on November 5th.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2011, 12:14:56 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2011, 11:53:01 PM by TommyC1776 »

1980 Presidential Election

Kennedy 51%, Reagan 40%, Anderson 7%, Clark 2%
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2011, 12:32:15 AM »
« Edited: September 09, 2011, 09:55:14 PM by TommyC1776 »

97th Congress:

House: 275 Democrats, 160 Republicans
Senate: 62 Democrats, 37 Republicans, 1 Independent

President-Elect Kennedy will have a Democratic Congress to work with.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »

Coupl'a questions...
-Why wasn't Kennedy's victory more definitive? I was looking for one of those mega-slides like the 1980 map was like in RL.
-Who's gonna be in Kennedy's cabinet? Might we get some guest appearances from Sargent Shriver? Will any of the younger politically inclined Kennedys make appearances?
-What happened in the 1980 NY Senate races? In RL, Javits (R) got primaried by the more Conservative D'Amoto. Javits ran as the candidate of the NY liberal party, and got 11%. Did Javits win re-nomination, or get a better percentage than in RL thanks to the unpopularity of the more Cosnervative wing? Also, in 1978 in Massachusetts, what was the result? Did Tsongas beat Brooke or did Brooke being a liberal save him in this version?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

I'd imagine Kennedy would fill his administration with a tour de force of liberal minds: Cy Vance, Sargent Shriver, maybe even Walter Mondale.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »

Coupl'a questions...
-Why wasn't Kennedy's victory more definitive? I was looking for one of those mega-slides like the 1980 map was like in RL.
-Who's gonna be in Kennedy's cabinet? Might we get some guest appearances from Sargent Shriver? Will any of the younger politically inclined Kennedys make appearances?
-What happened in the 1980 NY Senate races? In RL, Javits (R) got primaried by the more Conservative D'Amoto. Javits ran as the candidate of the NY liberal party, and got 11%. Did Javits win re-nomination, or get a better percentage than in RL thanks to the unpopularity of the more Cosnervative wing? Also, in 1978 in Massachusetts, what was the result? Did Tsongas beat Brooke or did Brooke being a liberal save him in this version?

Secretary of Defense: Sargent Shriver.  You may see some of the Kennedy's involved.  Javets wins as a liberal Republican.  Paul Tsongas beat Brooke in a close race.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 12:25:13 AM »

Kennedy states "Thank you America.  I want to also thank President Reagan for a great race.  Over the next 4 years we will have a better America than we've seen here in the last 4 years."

Reagan states "Americans have spoken and weren't real happy with the last 4 years.  I will say that we haven't got done that much either and America wanted things done.  I will also take some blame for not getting this economy going too.  Let's go forward and support President Kennedy.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 01:16:09 AM by TommyC1776 »

As the 97th Congress begins on January 3, 1981 Speaker O'Neill proposes a bill that would grant Universal Healthcare for all Americans.  After much debate the House passes the Universal Healthcare Act of 1981 245-190 on January 12th.  Then it goes to the Senate where it will be brought up later in the month.

President Reagan gives a farewell speech on January 17th: "Americans, we've had a real rough time the past few years.  We did get a Balanced Budget Amendent passed with bipartisan support.  However the unemployment went up but no one could agree about what to do about that.  All in all I was glad to serve as President of the United State.  Yes there were some moments where I wondered why I'd wanted it but in the end it's the best job in the World.  Thank you all and God Bless America."

President-Elect Kennedy gives his inaugural speech on January 20th: "Americans I was elected to stop the unemployment from growing and I plan to do just that.  Over the next few years we will see better job numbers, better energy costs and so on.  Thank you and God Bless America."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 01:16:35 AM by TommyC1776 »

Kennedy's cabinet:
Secretary of State: Cy Vance
Secretary of Defense: Sargent Shriver
Attorney General: Walter Mondale
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: Patricia Harris

The same day as the Inauguration the Iranian hostages are released.

Iranian hostages

On January 25th the Senate passes the Universal Healthcare Act of 1981 62-38.  President Kennedy signs it into law the next day.  It will take effect over the next few months or so.

Also the House and Senate vote overwhelmingly for the Department of Education Act.  President Kennedy signs it into law on February 4th.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2011, 02:19:05 AM »

On March 30th President Kennedy is shot by John Hinckley.  He's rushed to the hospital and seems to be in good health.

A few hours after removing the bullet they say "President Kennedy is doing fine.  He will be resting over the next few weeks or so.  We will update you later.  Thank you all."

VP Jackson states "I hope and pray that the President gets better over the next few weeks and will be back here to continue the Democratic principles.  Thank you."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 01:18:24 AM by TommyC1776 »

By late April President Kennedy goes back to work.  He wants to push a jobs bill to re-energize the economy and get people back to work.  "I want America to get back to work.  The economy will get better if Congress passes a jobs bill."  stated the President.  First he must ask Congress to amend the New Budget Act of 1978.  The House passed it 245-190.  Then the Senate passed it 57-43.

The House votes for Job Economic Growth Act in late May 1981 265-170.  Then the Senate votes 61-39.  It gives tax breaks to the middle class and a 10% increase in taxes for the rich.  President Kennedy signs it into law on June 15th.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2011, 12:55:51 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 10:14:16 PM by TommyC1776 »

On August 1st MTV is launched.  8 days later MLB starts the strike again regarding the All Star Game.

After a few months of debate (and town halls) Speaker O'Neill decides to bring up the Gun Control Act of 1981.  This bill would regulate who can get a gun.  The House vote is 245-190.  The Senate votes 60-40.  Former President Reagan called this "the worst piece of legislation since the passage of the Universal Healthcare Act of 1981 passed earlier this year."

As 1982 gets closer Democrats are hoping to win more seats.  However polls asked Americans "Who's better to handle the economy?  Republicans or Democrats?"  A majority of American's feel the Republicans would better handle the economy.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2011, 02:04:42 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 10:17:42 PM by TommyC1776 »

Late 1981 and early 1982 some judges are challenging the constitutionality of the Gun Control Act of 1981 as well as the Universal Healthcare Act of 1981.

On February 18th Ireland holds an election and Fianna Fail wins.

In late March the Academy Awards is hosted by Johnny Carson.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:55 AM »

Would America really rally behind gun control? Tongue
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »

President Kennedy goes on the campaign trail for Democrats.  "Americans the Democratic Party is better for you.  The Republican Party just wants to look out for the rich.  They never say that but you should know by now they do."

Former Presidents Ford and Reagan go on the campaign trail for Republicans throughout the summer.  "President Kennedy has grown the government more over the last year than we've seen since the Great Depression.  He needs people in Washington to stop his liberal agenda for America and that's why we need more Republicans."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 10:34:02 PM by TommyC1776 »

Would America really rally behind gun control? Tongue

Changed it so the courts will review it.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2011, 11:50:19 PM »

Republicans promise if elected they would repeal the Universal Healthcare Act of 1981 as well as the Gun Control Act of 1981.  The Republicans could pick up 5 or 6 seats in the Senate.  The House could be a 25-30 seat gain by the Republicans.  The New Budget Act of 1978 and the Modified Budget Act of 1981 are up for renewal in the next Congress.  Kennedy feels no matter what he can keep what's in the modified version of the New Budget Act of 1978.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »

1982 Midterms:
House: 248 Democrats, 187 Republicans
Senate: 57 Democrats, 43 Republicans

The Republicans won 27 seats in the House and 6 seats in the Senate.  Speaker O'Neill states "Democrat's we lost our cool over the last couple years.  We need to re-energize our base for 1984."  House Minority Leader Michel states "The American people listened to Republicans and didn't like government intervention in their lives."  Senate Majority Leader Robert Byrd states "We will work to compromise over the next couple years."  Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker states "We can now stall any liberal legislation being brought forward and work toward compromise."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »

How'd the 1982 California Senate care go? In real life, the Republican nomination had a lot of famous faces in it:
-daughter of President Ronald Reagan Maureen Reagan
-former Congressman and 1972 American Independent candidate John SWchmitz
-son of Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater and Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr.
-1972 candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination and Congressman Pete McCloskey
-San Diego Mayor and eventual winner Pete Wilson
-future candidate for President and Congressman Bob Dornan.

I'm wondering who out of this crowd won the nomination? And, following that, who won? Jerry Brown or the Republican nominee? I can see Maureen Reagan getting a potential boost, but then again she didn't win in real life and her dad wasn't just former President, but President. I've always had a soft spot for getting a second Goldwater into the Senate, though a Senator Schmitz would definitely be interesting.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2011, 11:07:04 PM »

How'd the 1982 California Senate care go? In real life, the Republican nomination had a lot of famous faces in it:
-daughter of President Ronald Reagan Maureen Reagan
-former Congressman and 1972 American Independent candidate John SWchmitz
-son of Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater and Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr.
-1972 candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination and Congressman Pete McCloskey
-San Diego Mayor and eventual winner Pete Wilson
-future candidate for President and Congressman Bob Dornan.

I'm wondering who out of this crowd won the nomination? And, following that, who won? Jerry Brown or the Republican nominee? I can see Maureen Reagan getting a potential boost, but then again she didn't win in real life and her dad wasn't just former President, but President. I've always had a soft spot for getting a second Goldwater into the Senate, though a Senator Schmitz would definitely be interesting.

Barry Golwater, Jr. won the GOP nominee for Senate in California and beat Jerry Brown 56-44 in the General Election.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2011, 09:31:56 PM by TommyC1776 »

CA Senator-Elect Barry Goldwater Jr. says "In the next Congress I want members of the Republican Party to stall liberal legislation before it's brought up.  We need to get rid of the Universal Healthcare Act of 1981 as well as the Gun Control Act of 1981.  I hope Senate Minority Leader Baker pressures Senator Byrd to bring up repeals of these horrific Acts."'

Goldwater Jr. is seen as a potential GOP candidate in 1984.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »

Nice!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2011, 12:18:03 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2011, 10:22:24 PM by TommyC1776 »

In late December 1982 former Congressman (as well as CIA Director, National Security Advisor and Sec. of Sate) George Bush announces his intention to run for the GOP nomination in 1984.  "I feel our government has grown too much over the past couple years.  We need to stop growing government as much as we have.  That's why voting for me would be better than President Kennedy."

Fmr. Sec. of State George Bush

Other potential GOP candidates:
Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker
CA Senator Barry Goldwater, Jr.
IL Congressman John Anderson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies