Reagan Wins Republican Nomination 1976!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:55:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Reagan Wins Republican Nomination 1976!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19
Author Topic: Reagan Wins Republican Nomination 1976!  (Read 86867 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

I'm sorry to be a broken record, but I love this timeline!

Thanks.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »

Keep going! I really wanna see how the map looks on election day!
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2012, 01:12:25 AM »

Keep going! I really wanna see how the map looks on election day!
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »

Possible Runningmates for Gore:
Reverend Jesse Jackson
CO Senator Gary Hart
MN Senator Walter Mondale

Wait and see what happens.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:02 AM »

Possible Runningmates for Gore:
Reverend Jesse Jackson
CO Senator Gary Hart
MN Senator Walter Mondale

Wait and see what happens.

Oh no.....
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2012, 10:45:54 PM by TommyC1776 »

In early June Senator Al Gore decides to pick, to everyone's surprised (compared to the list he had put out), NY Governor Mario Cuomo for his running mate.  "I feel that Governor Cuomo will be good to balance the ticket."  Governor Cuomo states "I want to thank Senator Al Gore for selecting me as his running mate."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #231 on: February 28, 2012, 02:42:25 PM »

The Presidential Debate of 1988 will be scheduled for October 10th, 1988.  There will be a Vice Presidential Debate on October 14, 1988.  Dan Rather will moderate both debates.  Senator Weicker has been invited to the Presidential Debate and Senator Larry Pressler has been invited to participate in the Vice Presidential Debate.

All 3 candidates will be spending the summer and fall campaigning all across the country.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #232 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »

In early July the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge is finished.

Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #233 on: February 28, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
« Edited: February 29, 2012, 12:10:42 AM by TommyC1776 »

Democratic Convention: July 18th-July 21st:

On the first night former President Kennedy (who's running for re-election to his old Senate seat) addresses the convention.  "I endorse the Gore/Cuomo team in 1988 and hope they win to bring America back to normal.  We've seen this administration try to get rid of government departments and make the rich richer, etc.  That's why we need Senator Al Gore and Governor Mario Cuomo for President and Vice President this year.  Thank you."

On the third night Governor Mario Cuomo accepts his nomination.  "I want to thank Senator Al Gore for picking me to be his running mate this year.  Senator Gore and I will make sure the average American is better off than they have been.  Let's go forward and defeat President Goldwater.  Thank you and God Bless America."

On the final night Senator Al Gore accepts his nomination.  "I want to thank the Democrats for nominating me.  We need to win in November.  We can't afford 4 more years of Goldwater.  He's ruined the country since he's taken office.  We will fight for the little guy while the Republicans want to look out for the rich.  Thank you and God Bless America."

Senator Al Gore is the 3rd youngest candidate for President (behind Democratic nominee William J. Bryan in 1896 and former Vice President John Breckinridge in 1860.)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #234 on: March 01, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »

On August 5th 2 events happen:

Allama Arif Hussain Hussani is shot in Peshawar as well as the Malaysian Constitutional crisis gets to it's high point with the kicking out of Lord President Salleh Abas.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »

Republican Convention: August 15th-August 18th

On the first night of the convention former President Reagan addresses Republicans.  "I feel that re-electiong Goldwater-Crane in November.  They're better than the Democrats."  stated Reagan.

On the third night of the convention Vice President Crane accepts his nomination for Vice President.  "I want to say that we've had a great 4 years and hope to have another 4 years to continue the great success.  We can't afford more of the liberal spending that the Democrats want to do.  That would be a bad thing.  Thank you and God Bless America."

On the last night of the convention President Goldwater accepts the nomination for President.  "Tonight I want to say that the Vice President gave a great speech last night.  Over the past 4 years we've tried to downsize the government however the Democrats filibustered a few of the bills.  We hope in the next Congress to get some of this legislation passed including getting rid of the Department of Education and the Department of Energy. This will make America better and less more government involvement in our lives.  Thank you and God Bless America."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #236 on: March 06, 2012, 11:25:02 PM »

Goldwater/Crane vs. Gore/Cuomo vs. Weicker/Pressler. Smiley Should be something to see.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #237 on: March 22, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »

Labor Day Polling:
Goldwater 45%
Gore 43%
Weicker 11%
Undecided 1%

President Goldwater tells Americans "If we elect a Democrat we will get bigger government.  We can't afford another administration like the previous Kennedy administration.  Remember if you vote for Gore you'll get another Kennedy liberal."

Gore went on the defense saying "I believe most of what former President Kennedy did was the best option for America.  However I was against the Gun Control Act of 1981 and am more of a moderate rather than a liberal like President Goldwater's saying."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: March 23, 2012, 12:42:49 AM »

GO GOLDY!
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #239 on: March 23, 2012, 06:52:05 AM »

TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #240 on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:54 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2012, 10:30:24 PM by TommyC1776 »

On August 19th there's a truce in the Iran-Iraq War.

Former President Kennedy states "I want Senator Gore and Governor Cuomo to be elected in November.  President Goldwater is too extreme."

When the President hears this he says "The former President is calling me an extremist when he himself is very extreme.  He supported very stringent gun control and that's an extreme position.  I however stand on the side of freedom."

Goldwater puts an ad out saying "Al Gore.  He will be another Ted Kennedy.  He's for bigger government and less freedom.  I'm President Goldwater and I approve this message."

Gore puts an ad out saying "Can we afford a President who wants to get rid of two cabinet departments?  Especially the Education Department.  What was he thinking?  Vote Democratic in November.  I'm Al Gore and I approve this message."
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #241 on: March 23, 2012, 10:23:04 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2012, 10:25:29 PM by TommyC1776 »

Starting on September 17th, the Summer Olympics were held in South Korea.

1988 Summer Olympics
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #242 on: March 23, 2012, 10:43:13 PM »

On September 30th there came a major blow to the Goldwater team when Happy Rockefeller (wife of former Vice President Nelson Rockefeller) endorsed Senator Weicker for President.  "I feel that Senator Weicker is the best person we have out of the three candidates.  He stands for positions that my late husband stood for and has worked well with the Democrats too."

Senator Weicker thanks Happy Rockefeller for her endorsement.  "This endorsement was welcomed very well in our campaign.  We have much respect for Mrs. Rockefeller and the late Vice President.  Thanks again and God Bless America."

Wait and see what happens.  The Presidential and Vice Presidential Debates are next.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »

Presidential Debate: October 10, 1988

Dan Rather: Hello everyone and welcome to the Presidential Debate of 1988.  We have with us tonight President Barry Goldwater Jr., Senator Al Gore and Senator Lowell Weicker.  First question should the government have tried to get rid of the Departments of Energy and Education?  Senator Gore go first, then President Goldwater and finally Senator Weicker.

Al Gore: First I want to thank President Goldwater and Senator Weicker for attending tonight.  In answer to your question, I think it’s absurd that the President encouraged Congress to even consider bringing up legislation that would get rid of both of those departments.  Education is something most members of Congress in the past have agreed upon.  Even former President Thomas Jefferson was a strong supporter of Education.

Barry Goldwater, Jr.Sad I too want to thank my opponents for coming tonight.  As far as the issue with the 2 Departments I believe that energy and education are more or so state’s rights.  When the Constitution was written there were only certain things the federal government could do.  Now it seems the Constitution is ignored for the most part.

Lowell Weicker: I want to thank President Goldwater and Senator Gore allow me to debate tonight.  I seem to think that we can’t get rid of those departments.  It’s just morally wrong to oppose education.  President Goldwater is NOT the Education President.  We can’t afford to go in the direction he’s taking us.

Rather: Alright.  Second question, what’s your opinion about the overturning of the Gun Control Act of 1981?  Senator Weicker?

Lowell Weicker: I thought it was terrible when it got voted down.  However I’m not against guns all together.  I just think there should be a permit for people to have guns.

Gore:  I voted against the Gun Control Act of 1981 when it came to the Senate.  I’ve been opposed to most legislation stopping guns from being totally banned.  I’m glad the law got overturned but do think there’s need for something that would ban certain people who would have it.

Goldwater: I don’t think there needs to be a ban on guns because of our 2nd Amendment rights.  Our founders gave us that right.  That’s all I can say on this except for the fact that my opponents want to take your freedom away from you.

Rather: The final question is what will be your first duty if you’re elected President in November?  President Goldwater?

Goldwater: The first thing I will do if I’m elected again to this wonderful office in the country is to continue to stand for states rights and limited government.  We can’t afford a liberal President like Senator Gore.  If elected he’d bring back the Kennedy liberalism that got us into the mess I had to handle when I was elected.

Weicker: If I’m lucky enough to be the first Independent elected President I’d try to work well with both parties to form compromises.  I think that a lot of my ideas would be like Nelson Rockefeller.  He was a true liberal Republican who worked well with Democrats.  Remember to vote Independent on November 8th.  Thanks again and God Bless America. 

Gore: If I’m elected in November I will return to a government of the people.  I want to look out for the poor and unfortunate compared to the current President.  I won’t be anti-education  like the current President either.  I’m running for President to give everyone another chance at life.  Thanks and God Bless America.

Rather: Alright that’s it.  Thanks for tuning into the Presidential Debate of 1988.  We will be back in four days with the Vice Presidential Debate.  Thanks again for tuning in and remember that Election Day is only a month away.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #244 on: March 28, 2012, 01:44:18 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2012, 05:05:17 PM by TommyC1776 »

Poll after Debate:
Gore 44%
Goldwater 41%
Weicker 14%
Undecided 1%

The public felt that Gore had a couple good zingers against the President with regard to education.  Senator Gore states "This is still very close race and anyone could win."

President Goldwater states "There's still about a month left before the election so the polls today don't matter too much.  They switch every week it seems."  When Gore here's this he says "The President said the poll numbers don't matter that much.  I wonder why that is?  Maybe because he thinks everyone will vote for him no matter what.  That's not true.  Polls matter alot.  It shows whether you're on the right track or the wrong track."

Senator Weicker states "Our poll numbers went up a bit and that shows that some Americans want an Independent."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #245 on: March 28, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »

DAMMIT WEICKER!  GO BACK TO HARTFORD!  Speaking of loudmouth senators from Connecticut, what's going on with Schmo Lieberman?
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #246 on: March 29, 2012, 10:15:23 PM »

DAMMIT WEICKER!  GO BACK TO HARTFORD!  Speaking of loudmouth senators from Connecticut, what's going on with Schmo Lieberman?

Lieberman is running for 1988 CT Senate seat.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #247 on: March 30, 2012, 11:46:21 PM »

Vice Presidential Debate: October 14, 1988

Dan Rather: Hello everyone and welcome to the Vice Presidential Debate of 1988.  We have with us tonight Vice President Phil Crane, Governor Mario Cuomo and Senator Larry Pressler.  The first question is what is your opinion on the federal role of education?  Vice President Crane go ahead, then Governor Cuomo and finally Senator Larry Pressler.

Crane: I want to thank my 2 opponents for showing up tonight.  As far as your question I believe education should be dealt with on the state level.  I also believe that school prayer should be allowed with a Constitutional Amendment to preserve it.

Cuomo: I believe that the federal government deserves some involvement with education.  Senator Gore an I agree that Thomas Jefferson would be appalled at the current President’s stance on education.  As far as school prayer there is separation of Church and State.

Pressler: I think that the federal government needs to stay out of the education role but not totally.  The President is going at this the wrong way.  As far as what the President said about school prayer, we need a voluntary prayer system.

Dan Rather: Alright next question, what is your opinion on protecting the environment?  Governor Cuomo first.

Gore: I believe that protecting the environment should be a top priority.  If we don’t protect it now how will it affect our children, grandchildren, etc?

Pressler: I don’t agree that we have that much of an impact on the environment.  If we have any at all it should be at the state level.

Crane: I agree almost 100% with Senator Pressler.  I think if a state wants to opt out of protection for the environment.

Dan Rather: Last question, what would your first thing you’d do if elected?  Senator Pressler go ahead.

Pressler: One of the first things I’d like to see a Weicker/Pressler administration do is to try to work on a bipartisan basis.  There’s too much fighting in Washington and we need compromise.

Crane: If the Goldwater/Crane team is re-elected we will continue the less government and more freedom for Americans.  Big government isn’t the solution.  Freedom is the best solution.

Cuomo: If electe a Gore/Cuomo team would be the best party for the middle class.  The wealthy are doing just fine but the poor need to be best represented.  We also will have a different approach to the education debate than does the current administration.

Dan Rather: Well that’s it.  You heard it here tonight and this is the last debate of any kind before Election Day.  Remember to vote on November 8th for your candidate.  Voting is your right.  Goodnight and God Bless America.
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

« Reply #248 on: March 31, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »

Polling after VP Debate:
Goldwater 44%
Gore 43%
Weicker 12%
Undecided 1%

President Goldwater and Senator Gore are tight in the polls.  There's less than a month away and we will see who wins.  The one issue that could bring the election toward Gore would be education.

Senator Gore states "President Goldwater isn't the Education President.  He's the worst President since Nixon."

Goldwater states "I have no connection to Richard Nixon.  I'm more conservative especially when he came to the environment."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #249 on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:39 PM »

C'mon! Let's get to election night! What's Gokdwater done on foreign policy so far? And how close is the USSR to collapsing?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies