Dearborn (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:36:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dearborn (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dearborn  (Read 3146 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »

Dearborn went from giving Bush 51.6% of the vote in 2000 to giving him 39.9% of the vote in 2004. As an example of how absurd some of the swings were in presumably Arab precincts, precinct 1 gave Bush 73% of the vote in 2000 and only 12% of the vote in 2004. Talk about alienating a base constituency...

Is there any explanation as to why Arabs liked Bush so much in 2000?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:38 AM »

Social conservatism and anti-Communism had Arabs (Muslim and Christian) strongly Republican prior to 2001.

Wow, that's so obvious that it's easy to overlook. I'd still expect Arabs in Dearborn to be fairly Democratic because of their industry though.

This swing reminds me of the gigantic Hasidic swings in New York. Looks like everything balanced out. Kerry lost one group of voters so he could gain another. Except Democrats gained Arabs as a permanent base. Between 2000 and 2006 Dearborn went from giving Stabenow 43.5% to giving her 59.8% with the biggest swings being in Arab precincts.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:23:27 PM »

Social conservatism and anti-Communism had Arabs (Muslim and Christian) strongly Republican prior to 2001.

Wow, that's so obvious that it's easy to overlook. I'd still expect Arabs in Dearborn to be fairly Democratic because of their industry though.

This swing reminds me of the gigantic Hasidic swings in New York. Looks like everything balanced out. Kerry lost one group of voters so he could gain another. Except Democrats gained Arabs as a permanent base. Between 2000 and 2006 Dearborn went from giving Stabenow 43.5% to giving her 59.8% with the biggest swings being in Arab precincts.
Isnt Spencer Abraham of Arab ancestry?

He's Lebanese.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies