It is now 1/1/11
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  It is now 1/1/11
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It is now 1/1/11  (Read 1239 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2011, 04:55:04 PM by Candy Apple Grey »

I only realized this after getting a Call of Duty: Black Ops trophy*. Ha. Even cooler will be 10 days from now, and then 10 months from then.

*Though not as cool as my MAG trophy from 10/10/10 at 10:10AM.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 04:40:09 PM »

In 1 year and one day, it'll be 1212. Bet you didn't know that! Know why? Thugs and criminals...sorry...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »

In 1 year and one day, it'll be 1212. Bet you didn't know that! Know why? Thugs and criminals...sorry...
no, it'd be 2/1/12. Or actually, 3/1/12.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 01:39:01 AM »

That's the European and Australian way of writing their dates.  The real way of writing today is 1/2/11.  So, next year it will be 1/2/12
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 01:44:13 AM »

That's the European and Australian way of writing their dates.  The real way of writing today is 1/2/11.  So, next year it will be 1/2/12

Meh, you're wrong. It's a bit like writing the time "3 hours, 28 minutes and 15 seconds" as 3:15:28. Day is shorter, month in the middle, year longer. Logically, it should either be DD-MM-YY or YY-MM-DD. That said, Americans aren't big fans of logical measurement of... anything really.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 01:51:24 AM »

Meh, you're wrong. It's a bit like writing the time "3 hours, 28 minutes and 15 seconds" as 3:15:28. Day is shorter, month in the middle, year longer. Logically, it should either be DD-MM-YY or YY-MM-DD. That said, Americans aren't big fans of logical measurement of... anything really.

If I may attempt to ascribe a logical reason to things being the way they are, there are only twelve months, whereas there are 28 to 31 days, and 100 years in a century. Thus the American system makes it more likely than any other that numbers go from smallest to largest, which is aesthetically pleasing.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 01:55:28 AM »

If I may attempt to ascribe a logical reason to things being the way they are, there are only twelve months, whereas there are 28 to 31 days, and 100 years in a century. Thus the American system makes it more likely than any other that numbers go from smallest to largest, which is aesthetically pleasing.
That's a reasonable argument. I still find 31/12/10 more pleasing than 12/31/10 though, or 3/5/87 above 5/3/87. But I suppose that's just my aesthetic preference.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:10:42 AM »

I think it's been generally accepted that the American way of doing most things is more backward, illogical and often blisteringly inefficient compared to the rest of the world.  And that's the way we like it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:02:13 AM »

I think it's been generally accepted that the American way of doing most things is more backward, illogical and often blisteringly inefficient compared to the rest of the world.  And that's the way we like it.

Hahahaha...

Played out act:

Reality:

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:47:01 AM »

Hahahaha...

Played out act:

Reality:

I'm not sure if that's the Joe Republic post that outs him as a D-NV.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 05:11:42 AM »

Yeah, maybe it was the one where I said I planned to vote for Harry Reid, and then had my picture taken with him at a Democratic Party rally?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »

I always liked the American way better but could never explain why. I guess Xahar nailed it. I think it also has to do with the fact that the month's also have names instead of numbers and starting with the name also looks better, 2 January 2011 is pretty ugly.

I also don't mind the imperial system, while the metric system makes more sense from a scientific perspective, it's based on stuff that doesn't matter for every day use. If you're driving from one city to another, you don't care what fraction of the Earth's circumference that drive is. Feet are also a more descriptive way of measuring one's height than meters.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »

Yeah, maybe it was the one where I said I planned to vote for Harry Reid, and then had my picture taken with him at a Democratic Party rally?

Yeah, that and the hand wringing posts.

Wink
tnowacki
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 01:38:52 PM »

I always liked the American way better but could never explain why. I guess Xahar nailed it. I think it also has to do with the fact that the month's also have names instead of numbers and starting with the name also looks better, 2 January 2011 is pretty ugly.

I also don't mind the imperial system, while the metric system makes more sense from a scientific perspective, it's based on stuff that doesn't matter for every day use. If you're driving from one city to another, you don't care what fraction of the Earth's circumference that drive is. Feet are also a more descriptive way of measuring one's height than meters.
Yes, but after 200 years or so, you get used to metres. I, for instance, can't tell you how far two cities are, being located 40 miles away from each other; but I can tell you if it were in metres. I think, for the Americans it works exactly the other way around.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »

The best way is of course the Japanese way (Year/Month/Day), because it goes from largest to smallest. The American way is second best, because while the largest is at the end, you generally know what the year is and are only interested in the month and day. The worst is the European way because you have absolutely no idea what time of year the date is until the second number.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »

The best way is of course the Japanese way (Year/Month/Day), because it goes from largest to smallest. The American way is second best, because while the largest is at the end, you generally know what the year is and are only interested in the month and day. The worst is the European way because you have absolutely no idea what time of year the date is until the second number.

Generally agreed.

Yes, but after 200 years or so, you get used to metres. I, for instance, can't tell you how far two cities are, being located 40 miles away from each other; but I can tell you if it were in metres. I think, for the Americans it works exactly the other way around.

Well plenty of people familiar with both (Most Canadians for example) could. My main point though is that for all the vaunted superiority of the metric system, it applies only to scientific use and doesn't have any real superiority in every day use. The only real advantage I see in the US switching to it is synchronization with the rest of the world. I actually wouldn't be opposed to phasing in dual system use for that reason (any new roadsigns use both miles and kilometers for example), but the "obvious" advantages of metric that every American heard from one of their elementary school teachers are quite overblown in non-scientific fields.

I also think Fahrenheit does a better job at describing temperatures in normal day use than Celsius, as both 0 and 100 in Fahrenheit don't mean anything, but are both achievable outdoor temperatures.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies