Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:54:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ  (Read 25094 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2011, 02:49:44 AM »

Why is deregistration so important? If you don't want to participate, just don't vote and you'll be removed in due time. Surely a PM here and there to go vote isn't THAT intrusive. If it is, those people need to chill out. Tongue

There just seem to be too many intangibles around it for it to work without causing the RG to go insane.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2011, 02:52:32 AM »

The Cut Through the Smoke Game!!

Can YOU decipher a straightforward message from the following post?

I oppose off-site recruiting because members who are recruited off-site are often looked down upon, and aren't given much of a chance. If members of Atlasia as a whole began to accept off-site recruiting and had a more favorable opinion of it, I'd support it in a heart beat. This isn't about what I specifically want. It's about what I think is best for the game, and right now, I don't think off-site recruitment would be good for the game.

See if you can figure out a stable and not-at-all-waffly principle from the above post! If you can find a message that makes sense, you WIN!*

*Note: Winners do not win any actual prizes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2011, 05:01:13 AM »

My issue with the bolded portion is that it could wreak havoc on counting elections. It is common enough for candidates to ask voters that change their minds to disqualify their own vote so as to boost their chances. Now imagine if they could ask them to de-register to disqualify their vote, but then that person had five days to change their mind and re-register. Would the vote remain disqualified or would it count? Would it depend on whether the election was already certified?

I think you misunderstood my point. During the 5-10 days period, the user remains a registered voter with its full rights. And only if he doesn't retract his deregistration, this deregistration occurs 5 days after. If the guy was campaigning, his candidacy is immediately invalid. If he had been elected, the office is deemed vacant. That couldn't be simpler.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:53 AM »

I oppose off-site recruiting because members who are recruited off-site are often looked down upon, and aren't given much of a chance. If members of Atlasia as a whole began to accept off-site recruiting and had a more favorable opinion of it, I'd support it in a heart beat. This isn't about what I specifically want. It's about what I think is best for the game, and right now, I don't think off-site recruitment would be good for the game.

See if you can figure out a stable and not-at-all-waffly principle from the above post! If you can find a message that makes sense, you WIN!*

Damn it! I lost!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2011, 10:49:02 AM »

Why is deregistration so important? If you don't want to participate, just don't vote and you'll be removed in due time. Surely a PM here and there to go vote isn't THAT intrusive. If it is, those people need to chill out. Tongue

There just seem to be too many intangibles around it for it to work without causing the RG to go insane.

The biggest issue with showing Atlasians why deregistration is important is that none of the people active in the debate want to deregister. And those who want to deregister aren't active enough to be involved in the debate.

All I can say is that a representative of the people should represent all of the people to the best of his or her ability. It seems to me that there is a substantive portion of citizens that have asked for the ability to deregister and I don't think that's an absurd request. I wouldn't mind hearing from Fritz or Hans to get an RG's perspective on this though.

My issue with the bolded portion is that it could wreak havoc on counting elections. It is common enough for candidates to ask voters that change their minds to disqualify their own vote so as to boost their chances. Now imagine if they could ask them to de-register to disqualify their vote, but then that person had five days to change their mind and re-register. Would the vote remain disqualified or would it count? Would it depend on whether the election was already certified?

I think you misunderstood my point. During the 5-10 days period, the user remains a registered voter with its full rights. And only if he doesn't retract his deregistration, this deregistration occurs 5 days after. If the guy was campaigning, his candidacy is immediately invalid. If he had been elected, the office is deemed vacant. That couldn't be simpler.

Ah, then I misunderstood and we are actually on the same page. Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2011, 10:50:46 AM »

I must insist that we at least provide cake and free *hughughug*'s to winners. And maybe an all-expenses-paid date with bgwah.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2011, 11:01:16 AM »

This is what we mean...

Senator NCY recently posted this in the stimulus bill thread over on the government board:

Nay

I have given it much thought, but for some reason I am just not satisfied with this bill or the way it came together. In hindsight, Badger picked the wrong time of the year for an economic crisis. In a different part of the year, this wouldn't have likely taken as long and thus provided the chance to get it right. Also the Senate as a whole would have taken much more interest in the effort and been more motivated to take the initiative and offer ideas. 

I do thank the Senators for their cooperation in moving this bill forward, eventhough it could have been far better. I think that the Senate is much easier to manage when it its operating on its own inertia. It is very difficult to instill the energy and drive that keeps this place running when it doesn't exist to the extent necessary. I have found it frustrating to poke and prode Senators to respond, to offer amendments, and even just to discuss ideas and proposals. As much fun as I have had being the PPT, over these past two Senates, I am afraid that it is time for someone else to step up to the plate. Yes that is right, no more public berations, no more insults, and no more emails from a mob boss. Tongue There are a number of you who could easily do this if you apply yourselves and get active. I just hope you know the frustration you are bringing on yourself.

And so, for my likely final act as President Pro-Tempore:

This bill has enough votes to pass, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.

This is exactly why this ticket has committed itself to finding creative solutions to the inactivity of the Senate. When arguably the most active and productive current government official becomes so frustrated that he reduces his level of involvement, the system is clearly broken. Marokai and I don't have all the answers, but we certainly have the balls to start the discussions necessary to find them.

I would also like to announce that if elected as your Vice President, I will keep the Senate running under my powers as President of the Senate. This means that I will not only cast tie-breaking votes, the minimum amount of work, but I will model Bacon King during his time as Vice President: an extremely active VP starting threads for legislation, opening and closing votes and making sure the trains run on time.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »

He personally supports off-site recruitment but would not push for it in his administration because he knows that people are dicks and if new people flooded into Atlasia they would all be called socks.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

I knew that was just too truncated. There was far more to it then just frustration over the Senate's activity level. The PM's allowed me to adequately deal with that. Instead it was a combination of things that led me to make my decision not to run for PPT. One of the big ones was the start of a new semester.

And PS "running" the Senate like you say would just divide the load between the PPT and yourself but the two of would still find yourselves struggling. Having another person to manage Senate operations, while helpfull, is a solution for a different problem.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 04:35:02 PM »

I knew that was just too truncated. There was far more to it then just frustration over the Senate's activity level. The PM's allowed me to adequately deal with that. Instead it was a combination of things that led me to make my decision not to run for PPT. One of the big ones was the start of a new semester.

Understandable, but that it plays a role at all is cause for concern. And even here you admit it was a part of the decision.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I tried to clearly de-link the issue of Senate activity and my decision to participate in the running of the Senate. The only connection is that both were highlighted or spurred by your decision not to run for the position of PPT again. Had you decided to run again, I would avoid getting in your way given your effectiveness as PPT. Seeing as you have decided not to serve as PPT in the next Senate, I promise to make sure as VP that the Senate remains in order.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »

I'm afraid I don't really completely understand your problems with what PS said, Yankee. You wanted others to step up so you wouldn't be doing it all yourself. You wanted help to get the people moving. PS has now stepped up to that challenge, and if past is any prologue, he can definitely do it. Is that not the sort of thing you wanted? It's okay to admit when your political opponents have the right idea. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »

Making the Game Moderator more effective.

Having an effective Game Moderator has become a necessity in Atlasia as of late. Spoiled by Purple State's effective tenure as GM, we've become used to getting constant reports on employment, population, poverty, debt and revenue, news reports, evaluations of policy proposals, and more.

There is, however, a common problem since Purple State's departure from that office: the load on the individual has become too great to bear alone. Badger has done a very respectable job at handling the responsibilities, but more can always be done, and when Al was briefly GM, there was great difficulty in handling it alone. And that is understandable, it's a heavy load.

That's why I believe it is time for the implementation of "Game Advisors." Two GM "assistants", if you will, that assist and periodically perform the duties of GM themselves when the Game Moderator himself is unable to do so. This will allow people who do not want to or are not able to do the entirety of the duties themselves, to still participate in running the game. Considered the "Junior Game Advisor" and "Senior Game Advisor", these two individuals will be directed by the Game Moderator himself.

For example, the Game Moderator himself could divide duties between himself and the two Game Advisors, by allowing the Junior Game Advisor to handle foreign affairs, the Senior Game Advisor to handle Economic Affairs, and the GM himself handles Misc. news stories and legislative analysis. Such a division of duties, or any combination thereof, could allow a much lighter load shared by the three. By sharing the burden, I believe it is possible for much more effective and frequent updates from the office of the GM.

Badger has done a very good job, all things considered, of being Game Moderator. But more and more help could always be used.

And of course, I'm happy that something I scribbled down in notepad 4 months ago or so and circulated privately a few times, has finally become so openly accepted by the other two major nominees:

(In a PM to Fritz, Bgwah, and Kalwejt, after Fritz privately asked for ideas on proposals in the October campaign, I sent this as part of the partial platform I drafted for myself (screenshot if someone wants absolute proof) before I backed out of the race officially.)

Abolish Secretary of Internal Affairs and possibly create two new positions entitled "Game Advisors" or something like that. Consider them "Junior" and "Senior" advisors that could take over in the even of the GM leaving or being unable to perform his duties. Let them all work together to post.

Everyone coming around to the general idea of more GMs is a very welcome thing indeed. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »

Ironically, something extremely similar this is planned in my platform, and I'd actually thought of a while ago. (Badger can atest to it) Looks like you beat me to posting it! Tongue
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2011, 08:10:39 PM »

Ironically, something extremely similar this is planned in my platform, and I'd actually thought of a while ago. (Badger can atest to it) Looks like you beat me to posting it! Tongue

I can also attest to the committee idea
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »

On the Pardon of Mint

President Fritz's decision to pardon Mint is, I believe, the right decision. It shows a recognition that Mint's intent was not to circumvent the system, but rather to simply start over.

With that said, I would like to make a broader point. Under a Marokai/Purple State administration, Mint is never prosecuted in the first place. Why? Because Mint would have had the chance to deregister his original account, as we have proposed, and so there would not have been double registration issues.

Imagine the time and resources saved by a simple change to allow for deregistration. Not only that, but the court case clearly disillusioned Mint, who looks like he gave up on the game because of a court case that could have been avoided by a basic rule change. Imagine that, losing an active and productive member seeking to return to the game, losing interest because we didn't have deregistration in place.

Vote Marokai/Purple State and help us bring positive change to the game.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

Or, alternatively, you can change the law so that it wouldn't apply in this case.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »

Or, alternatively, you can change the law so that it wouldn't apply in this case.

Sure, but then you leave considerable uncertainty about what exactly the line is. So you will continue to have court cases and it will be up to judges to decide what the intent of citizens was at the time.

Conversely, you can just solve the problem and save time, "money" and stress.

So I'm unconvinced by your resistance to deregistration.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »

I should note that I also have the idea of adding on a GM: the GM for Foreign Policy.  It'll make the job of GM easier, and allow for more stories to be released.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »

Both should certainly be done, of course.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2011, 09:58:56 PM »

I really don't see why you didn't just shoot Mint a pm advising him to de-register quickly, or he'd be banned. I know you were ordered by Fritz, but I think it would have been fine if you would have at least waited more than 3 minutes to give Mint a chance to de-register. Would of saved a lot of people a lot of time.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2011, 10:34:44 PM »

I really don't see why you didn't just shoot Mint a pm advising him to de-register quickly, or he'd be banned. I know you were ordered by Fritz, but I think it would have been fine if you would have at least waited more than 3 minutes to give Mint a chance to de-register. Would of saved a lot of people a lot of time.

Tmth, dear.. People can't de-register.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2011, 10:36:36 PM »

Also: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=34355.msg2748235#msg2748235

Someone had already quoted his registration. I couldn't have asked him to just delete his new registration if I wanted to.

Now, will you move on with your transparent attempt to make political hay out of a non-issue?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2011, 10:37:38 PM »

He could have done what NiK did, though, to be able to stay on without being prosecuted.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »

He could have done what NiK did, though, to be able to stay on without being prosecuted.

If I recall correctly, NiK had lost access to his original account. Mint voluntarily changed his account.

You know the one person who seems to not actually care about this issue? Mint himself. He's already been pardoned apparently (although I personally think that's inopportune timing) so move on and stop looking for something to try and distract people with.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »

I should note that I also have the idea of adding on a GM: the GM for Foreign Policy.  It'll make the job of GM easier, and allow for more stories to be released.

I'm just glad that, additional GMs, a proposal I came up with 4 months ago (and shared with Fritz), now enjoys commonplace acceptance. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies