Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:55:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marokai Blue/Purple State for Atlasia, Campaign HQ  (Read 25143 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 01, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »

I should have drank the whole bottle last night, I knew it. Unfortunately it was non-alcoholic of course so it would have only served to make me sicker now. oh well!

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:09:32 AM »

Thanks, Purple State.

Yes, as he said, these are consecutive term limits. It would be silly to conflate consecutive and non-consecutive term limits. There's a simple problem with the Senate: It elects much of the same people over and over again, and this ultimately leads in the long term to much more stagnation and inactivity and predictability than there would be other wise.

If people actually want the Senate to get more interesting, there are very few ways to do that, considering the reactions most people have to changing the way people are elected. One of the simplest solutions would be to just tell people that there's a two-term-consecutive limit. It cycles new people in consistently and keeps things more fresh. People talk and talk about the problem, but no one really wants to entertain how to fix it. We've just got to man-up and talk about the solutions, and that's one of 'em.

And really, it's the least directly impacting and inconvenient, when you think about it. A Senator has a term of 4 months. Setting the consecutive limit at 2 means that Senator can hold office for 8 whole months. I really don't think that's so unfair given the nature of Atlasia. They set out of office for a term and then they can get back in the game, if they can prove to people they deserve to be in over the people that replaced them. It's good for keeping the wheels moving and deserves discussion, I think.

(And thanks for all the support from the people who've endorsed us. And I take delight in Yankee's distress Tongue)

I am not the one who is in the distress. Tongue I suggest you reread my statement for alternate potential meanings that you have appearently overlooked.

Unfortunately it is not the only thing "being overlooked" in this discussion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:41:59 AM »

I should have drank the whole bottle last night, I knew it. Unfortunately it was non-alcoholic of course so it would have only served to make me sicker now. oh well!

Oh don't lie Yank, you loved it the first time. I promise it will go down just as smoothly the second. Wink

Of course, I loved it the first time, but that is always the case for the spectator watching from afar isn't it. Such is not the case for those down in ring. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 03:42:41 PM »

I knew that was just too truncated. There was far more to it then just frustration over the Senate's activity level. The PM's allowed me to adequately deal with that. Instead it was a combination of things that led me to make my decision not to run for PPT. One of the big ones was the start of a new semester.

And PS "running" the Senate like you say would just divide the load between the PPT and yourself but the two of would still find yourselves struggling. Having another person to manage Senate operations, while helpfull, is a solution for a different problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies