House to read Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:38:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House to read Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House to read Constitution  (Read 2138 times)
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2011, 12:18:12 PM »

I'm perfectly okay with this pageantry... but who is going to read the dirty bits of our divinely inspired founding document.... like the three-fifths compromise. 

Will some tea party folks raise an eyebrow when they are forced to read the 16th amendment that made an income tax just as much apart of the constitution as anything else... or will they spreading rumors that muslim-communists secretly inserted that and its not really there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122901402.html
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »

"And then they will require that every new bill contain a statement by the lawmaker who wrote it citing the constitutional authority to enact the proposed legislation."

lmao
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:26:58 PM »

I guess a House clerk will do the deed since many of the incoming members don't know how to read or write.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »

Kind of pontless, but nowhere near as bad as the weepy farewell speeches at the end of the last Congress. Like "and may God bless the United States" at the end of the State of the Union, I expect this to be a lasting tradition. Nobody's going to be the guy who gets rid of it.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

I'm perfectly okay with this pageantry... but who is going to read the dirty bits of our divinely inspired founding document.... like the three-fifths compromise. 

Will some tea party folks raise an eyebrow when they are forced to read the 16th amendment that made an income tax just as much apart of the constitution as anything else... or will they spreading rumors that muslim-communists secretly inserted that and its not really there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/29/AR2010122901402.html

Its gonna be like Bible readings at church...no one reads the long droning lines of x begat y who begat z.  All the librul stuff will be...ignored.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »

Its gonna be like Bible readings at church...no one reads the long droning lines of x begat y who begat z.  All the librul stuff will be...ignored.

Good point.  If the Democrats weren't a joke party espousing the ideology of political correctness and the irreligious sensibilities of Manhattan and Hollywood they might suggest readings from the Bible. No document in history has been more friendly to the interests of those less fortunate, and espoused more scorn on those who have gained from the suffering of their fellow man than the Bible.  We Republicans claim to honor the Bible, yet I doubt that many of us have bothered to read more than a couple of sentences in Romans 1.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:25:08 PM »

Goodie
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »

...why?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:24:44 PM »

Good point.  If the Democrats weren't a joke party espousing the ideology of political correctness and the irreligious sensibilities of Manhattan and Hollywood they might suggest readings from the Bible. No document in history has been more friendly to the interests of those less fortunate, and espoused more scorn on those who have gained from the suffering of their fellow man than the Bible.  We Republicans claim to honor the Bible, yet I doubt that many of us have bothered to read more than a couple of sentences in Romans 1.

Pardon my "hollywood sensibilities" for thinking that having our government figures read from a religious text is unseemly. The job of our politcians is to legislate, not to make a public spectacle of prayer. Perhaps you'd be happier in Saudi Arabia.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:45:24 PM »

More solutions...
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »

Pardon my "hollywood sensibilities" for thinking that having our government figures read from a religious text is unseemly. The job of our politcians is to legislate, not to make a public spectacle of prayer. Perhaps you'd be happier in Saudi Arabia.

Perhaps you'd be happier in 1890's America - cause that's where some folks in the Tea Party want to take all of us --  back before the days where men of faith like William Jennings Bryan and Theodore Roosevelt helped our country make great strides for social justice and the rights of working men and women.

This may come as a shock to you, but a majority of Americans aren't really responding to what's going on at Manhattan art shows, the editorial page of the New York Times, and MSNBC.  People are "voting against their economic interest" because they're being given a choice between a Republican Party that connects with people of faith and a Democratic Party that looks down on them like they were fleas.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:36 PM »

Perhaps you'd be happier in 1890's America - cause that's where some folks in the Tea Party want to take all of us --  back before the days where men of faith like William Jennings Bryan and Theodore Roosevelt helped our country make great strides for social justice and the rights of working men and women.

This may come as a shock to you, but a majority of Americans aren't really responding to what's going on at Manhattan art shows, the editorial page of the New York Times, and MSNBC.  People are "voting against their economic interest" because they're being given a choice between a Republican Party that connects with people of faith and a Democratic Party that looks down on them like they were fleas.

Dgov
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 11:16:21 PM »

. . . So?

The most impact this could make is that it might find it's way onto a SNL sketch.
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »

And we're going on the Tea Party Express back to 1880!
REPEAL OF EVERY SINGLE REGULATION, SOCIAL SECURITY, MEDICARE, AND MEDICAID BEGINS JANUARY 2011! THE LEGACY OF THE ROOSEVELTS IS DEAD! RIP DEMOCRATIC PARTY!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 12:25:08 AM »

If you don't think social justice was active before the 1890s, you need a refresher on the abolitionist, temperance, and women's rights movements of the nineteenth century Wink
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:18 AM »

While you're bashing New York City, you may want to check and see where your beloved Theodore Roosevelt is from.
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.32, S: -9.91

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »

Theodore Roosevelt was at least as inspired by the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche, whom we know to have influenced him, as he was the Bible.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:10 AM »

I'm a bit amazed how we got to religion here.  My comment was to get at selective reading...not faith issues.  Thought my Bible example was just that, an example...not social commentary.  Dang it Don.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:37:53 AM »

A very hammy move by the repubs.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »

Perhaps you'd be happier in 1890's America - cause that's where some folks in the Tea Party want to take all of us --  back before the days where men of faith like William Jennings Bryan and Theodore Roosevelt helped our country make great strides for social justice and the rights of working men and women.

If you don't think social justice was active before the 1890s, you need a refresher on the abolitionist, temperance, and women's rights movements of the nineteenth century Wink

As well as Dr. Barnado, Charles Dickens and quite a few Victorian people in my country.

Going back to the original idea, it's a better use of Congress' time than much of their activity.
Einzige Mk. II
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 5.32, S: -9.91

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »

You mean Jack the Ripper? Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You mean Jack the Ripper? Wink
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:32 AM »

I don't see the need for a selective reading. It isn't like the Bible. The constitution isn't that long. Shouldn't take more than an hour to get the whole thing out.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 02:59:18 PM »

I spent nearly a year studying Romans. While I was in High School. Needless to say it is a really good idea to actually read our founding documents. Besides if you would study the Constuition you will see how much it was influenced by the Bible.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »

And we're going on the Tea Party Express back to 1880!
REPEAL OF EVERY SINGLE REGULATION, SOCIAL SECURITY, MEDICARE, AND MEDICAID BEGINS JANUARY 2011! THE LEGACY OF THE ROOSEVELTS IS DEAD! RIP DEMOCRATIC PARTY!

Back to 1880? Great Scott!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 06:57:27 PM »

Perhaps they'll read the Consitution as amended?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies