First Presidential Debate (Closing Statements)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:28:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  First Presidential Debate (Closing Statements)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: First Presidential Debate (Closing Statements)  (Read 4647 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »

I'd like to once again thank Archangel for hosting this debate, and I'd like to thank my opponents for particpating. Smiley Some important questions were answered, and I think everyone learned a lot from this experience.

This campaign is already intense, and we're just getting started. I want to take this opportunity to remind Atlasians that this election isn’t about the left or right winning. This election is about preserving this game, and making the future stronger than the past.

I love this game. What I don't love, though, is the direction this game is going. For the past year, this game has gone in a steady decline. Ever since last Spring, the Senate's activity has gone downhill, and valuable citizens are leaving the game. The past hasn't worked, and I think many Atlasians have come to understand that.

I have a proud record of experience and dedication to stand on, and I’ll stand by it any time. Not only do I have the valuable experience of already running a government, I also have the experience of serving in the Senate. I can promise every Atlasian that under a 94/65 Administration, you will have a very active, bi-partisan government, where every voice is heard. Who we will take advice from won’t run along party lines. If you have a good idea, let it be known. I’m sure I’ll find some great idea’s to implement from my opponents’ campaigns, and I hope they’ll like some idea’s I’ve suggested as well. Wink

Thank you all. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »

I'm glad to see my green energy bill was mentioned. My day is complete! Cheesy
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 09:22:07 PM »

As my opening was short, so will my conclusion as well.  I believe that I am the best suited candidate to be President.  I am the candidate most focused on activity, and my proposals would create a whole new aspect of the game - that of foreign policy.  My proposal for multiple assistant GM's relating to foreign affairs, and creating a second GM, will revitalize the game - giving it life it desperately needs.  So please, I urge you to vote Ben!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

I realize the debate is over, but before heading home I'm going to post a question here rather than copying and pasting in all your various campaign threads:

"If you are elected president, will I still have my job?" Tongue

Please respond in 1-2 words, preferably one beginning with "y".
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2011, 05:09:19 PM »

I realize the debate is over, but before heading home I'm going to post a question here rather than copying and pasting in all your various campaign threads:

Please respond in 1-2 words, preferably one beginning with "y".

I remember when PS and I were trying to find a new GM after PS got elected. I don't want to go through that again. The answer is "yes." Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2011, 05:11:06 PM »

In tmth's defense, the multiple GM proposal was first proposed by A-Bob, I believe, on our forums. I don't think anyone holds exclusive rights to the idea. The GM position is obviously a difficult job that requires a certain degree of creativity, so the more minds the better, as long as it doesn't turn into a political appointment aimed at benefitting one side over another.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »

I too realize that the debate is over, but I hope it won't be too much trouble if I provide a brief closing statement before the switched-off cameras and empty seats. Tongue

First and foremost, thanks to Archangel for hosting this debate. It's certainly been one of the more interesting discussions I've partaken in recently.

While I unfortunately missed the second half of this genuinely interesting and engaging debate due to falling ill, I enjoyed arguing and, on occasion, agreeing with my three opponents - it shows that, if you'll excuse the massive cliché, what unites us is stronger than what divides us. Most obviously, we all agree that a second GM is needed to draw further attention to the storylines that supposedly run the game. We may differ on the details, but the fundamental is an accepted truth.

Whoever wins in Febuary, myself, Tmth, Marokai or Ben, this debate has made me hopeful that Atlasia will be better off for it. We're not going to get saddled with an inactive or incompetent administration, and I think that's something to be glad for.

I hope you've all got a sense of how I'd govern, and what my policies would be as President. The brief flash of drama we had the other week is, thankfully, fading, and it's nice to see we're focusing on what the election should be about. If elected, I will strive day and night (well, day) to shake some life into Atlasia's creaking, dusty institutions. If there's one thing I've learned as Governor, it's that fundamental change requires changing the fundamentals. [1] That's what I propose to do.

Without further ado, I'll get off my soapbox. Vote Oakvale/Snowguy.

Thank you. Smiley

[1] Sorry.

PS: Yes, Badger, you'd still have a job. Wink

PPS: You can read my responses to the questions I missed here, here, and here.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

You will have a job in my Administration.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »

Can I have a nice job if my evil, nonexistent opponent wins Midwest Senate race?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 06:59:01 PM »

Can I have a nice job if my evil, nonexistent opponent wins Midwest Senate race?
If you lose, you'll be a top candidate for a position in my administration.

Badger, to your question, here are my two words: you're awesome.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »

You will have a job in my administration as well. I promise.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »

You will have a job in my administration as well. I promise.

To Ben and Duke: Er, thanks, but does 'a' job, mean this one (GM)? I realize this might change somewhat if there are multiple GM slots created, but for sake of argument.... Wink

BTW: For what its worth here's my take on the idea of multiple GM's in case anyone missed it/cares.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=post;quote=2780845;topic=130090.105;num_replies=110;sesc=f1850a9d58dab4671e97706863818638

Summary: Good idea for assistant GM's to help with workload and create wider source of ideas/input. Investing SoIA and SoEA with assistant GM powers for domestic and foreign affairs respectively would work well (and is working on an informal basis currently). Still should be one overall GM, however, as domestic and foreign affairs today affect each other so closely that there needs to be one final arbiter to synthesize the two rather than the real possibility of 2 GMs working at cross purposes and disputing "jurisdiction".
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 12:05:56 AM »

Though I don't expect it to go here, I couldn't think where else to bring it up...Tongue

I hope the candidates for President, myself, Oakvale, and Marokai, will be able to fit in another debate before the election begins, maybe even two. Smiley Was Yelnoc going to do the next debate, or someone else?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »

Though I don't expect it to go here, I couldn't think where else to bring it up...Tongue

I hope the candidates for President, myself, Oakvale, and Marokai, will be able to fit in another debate before the election begins, maybe even two. Smiley Was Yelnoc going to do the next debate, or someone else?

I'm open to as many debates as you'd like.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2011, 01:12:28 AM »

Yelnoc was but I haven't heard anything from him as of late.  I could possibly moderate another one but my schedule is currently packed so I'm not so sure yet.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2011, 08:08:54 AM »

I too would enjoy another debate, if it can be organised.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »

Why can't this be started?

Archangel sent out a private message to all remaining candidates several days ago about the debate, and asked for everyone to respond so we can begin. So far, I'm the only one who's responded, which is certainly frustrating, as I know both of you have had plenty of time to respond to the message. If the two of you really want another debate, I ask that you please respond to Archangel ASAP.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

Archangel sent out a private message to all remaining candidates several days ago about the debate, and asked for everyone to respond so we can begin. So far, I'm the only one who's responded, which is certainly frustrating, as I know both of you have had plenty of time to respond to the message. If the two of you really want another debate, I ask that you please respond to Archangel ASAP.

Lord have mercy.

I've responded to him many times before asking for more debates but apparently I need to hold everyone's damn hand by responding with a specific time before we can actually move forward. Okay, sure.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2011, 11:18:48 PM »

Lord have mercy.

I've responded to him many times before asking for more debates but apparently I need to hold everyone's damn hand by responding with a specific time before we can actually move forward. Okay, sure.
He asked in the message what time works best for everyone to avoid scheduling the debate at a time inconvient for one of the members. When someone asks me a question like that, I try to at least respond with a "Whatever works for you". I don't see what's so crazy about that request.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies