Democratic Presidents bring boring elections and newscycles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:21:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Democratic Presidents bring boring elections and newscycles
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democratic Presidents bring boring elections and newscycles  (Read 1489 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:08:08 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2011, 06:12:03 PM by Reaganfan »

This is an example of that. As was 1996. Yawn. Seriously....Obama/Biden's re-election? Romney for President? Mitch Daniels?

If anybody else agrees...please chime in. This campaign and news cycle makes 1996 look entertaining.

Maybe the whole "action-movie suspense" atmosphere from 2001-2009 just spoiled me. Seriously. Our President wore a flight suit and landed on an Aircraft Carrier! It was straight outta Bill Pullman's performance in "Independence Day" for God's sake!

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »

I think you mean "closed elections" (i.e. with an incumbent running) bring boring elections and news cycles. That's not an accident: except for Reagan and Clinton, the opposition party usually has a weak candidate field. The last time the Republicans fielded a strong candidate against an incumbent Democrat was the (in retrospect vastly overrated- he reminds me of Al Gore in many ways) Tom Dewey in '48.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 09:50:28 PM »

Welcome, Rogue. Smiley This is Blackwater_NiK.

As per the suggestion, Naso, the cycle is still very early. Something tell's me we are in for an unusually entertaining incumbent season, but non-incumbent elections seem to be generally more fun for us, since it's a guessing game for both sides.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:22 PM »

Welcome, RogueBeaver! It's great to see you here! Cheesy
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 08:35:15 AM »

Welcome, RogueBeaver! It's great to see you here! Cheesy

nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »

This election is the defining moment for America though.  It will be the most important election in the history of the country due to what Obama has done.  If he wins, the country dies.  People will have finally accepted full submission and control by the government.  If he loses the country is saved.  I don't think that's going to be boring.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't get it....
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »

Question: is the elected President Obama or the unelected party Boss Karl Rove more powerful?

Question: do we want de facto government by unelected lobbyists?

Question: does anyone believe in "majority of a majority" government that Karl Rove has stood for?

Question: does anyone trust the John Birch Society (it is far more real and powerful than ACORN ever was) or the shadowy right-wing Club for Growth?

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:16:21 PM »

Question: is the elected President Obama or the unelected party Boss Karl Rove more powerful?

Question: does anyone believe in "majority of a majority" government that Karl Rove has stood for?

Question: does anyone trust the John Birch Society (it is far more real and powerful than ACORN ever was) or the shadowy right-wing Club for Growth?

Answer: Obama. Rove is just appearing on Fox and signing books these days. Nothing important.

Answer: No, but we have one already, so the question is irrelevant.

Answer: Hell no.

Answer: I trust both of them a hell of a lot more than I trust the Democratic Party or the ACLU.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »

Answer: Obama. Rove is just appearing on Fox and signing books these days. Nothing important.

Answer: I trust both of them a hell of a lot more than I trust the Democratic Party or the ACLU.
You trust the John Birch Society?  As in the John Birch Society?

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 07:58:52 AM »

This election is the defining moment for America though.  It will be the most important election in the history of the country due to what Obama has done.  If he wins, the country dies.  People will have finally accepted full submission and control by the government.  If he loses the country is saved.  I don't think that's going to be boring.

You gotta love melodramatic hyperbole - based on nothing but personal views. Damn Obama for dragging the US healthcare system kicking and screaming into the 1970s...
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »

1984 was boring, wasn't it? And 1980 was very exciting. The party of the incumbent POTUS has nothing to do with the intensity of the newscycle.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 07:23:47 PM »

Yup. What's not to love about it?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Birch_Society

These fellows contended that Dwight Eisenhower was part of the international Commie Conspiracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_for_growth

Their fourth-favorite member of Congress is Michelle "Crazy Lady" Bachmann. That should say enough.

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 08:46:07 PM »

These fellows contended that Dwight Eisenhower was part of the international Commie Conspiracy.

Their fourth-favorite member of Congress is Michelle "Crazy Lady" Bachmann. That should say enough.

Eisenhower was, in fact, an anti-McCarthy activist. And Michelle "Crazy Lady" Bachmann is a genius and patriot.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:55 PM »

I think this primary cycle will be interesting. I mean Romney won't be interesting, minus the day he gives himself $40 million. Gingrich. Palin if she runs will keep SNL alive. Paul/Johnson type people. I think Cain could entertain us, also surprise us. Bolton's mustache...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 09:35:28 PM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 10:09:37 PM »

Eisenhower was, in fact, an anti-McCarthy activist. And Michelle "Crazy Lady" Bachmann is a genius and patriot.

McCarthy was a thug and anyone sensible would have been been 'anti-' him and saying Bachmann is a genius makes me feel queasy...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 11:09:49 PM »

Joe McCarthy never found a Communist. Richard Nixon did, and deserves credit for exposing the traitor Alger Hiss, a Commie mole. By casting blame on innocent people, Joe McCarthy did what Commies did in the Soviet Union and elsewhere.

Michelle Bachmann  has frequently been shown to be a liar on political matters. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies