Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:20:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: Conservatives, what is your most liberal aspect(s)? & vice versa  (Read 75427 times)
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: February 15, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »

I favor amnesty
I support abortion
I support limited gun control
I support gay marriage
I oppose auditing the fed
I oppose government drug tests for welfare
I support a progressive income tax
I support increased government spending during recessions
I support some regulations on the finance industry
I support the green movement

I think that does it.

k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »

Surely most of the liberal aspects Duke has are just out of sanity? Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2012, 05:54:35 PM »

I favor amnesty
I support abortion
I support gay marriage

I think that does it.

Seriously stop using the L avatar when you're clearly a right winger.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #328 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:41 AM »

I favor amnesty
I support abortion
I support gay marriage

I think that does it.

Seriously stop using the L avatar when you're clearly a right winger.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2012, 11:27:57 PM »

I support in a pathway to citizenship.
I support the women's right to choose.
I support gay marriage.
I support the green movement.
I support a progressive income tax.

Polsci

« Reply #330 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40:56 AM »

I'm a moderate so I can go both ways here...

Conservatism:
-Believe in civil unions and not outright homosexual marriage.
-Believe marriage should be left for churches.
-Believe regulations must be severely cut down.
-Dislikes unbalanced budgets.
-Believes in the pro-life position.
-Pro-nuclear power.
-Pro school choice.
-Pro right to arms.
-Believe in pro-military budgeting.

Liberalism:
-Believe civil unions should be more empowered and should be for any two people and not just homosexuals.
-Believe in fair not free trade.
-Believe in more science and technology research and development funding.
-Believe in tougher animal cruelty laws.
-Believe in a role for government in the economy and health care.
-Believe in a less military centered foreign policy and non-interventionism.
-Believe in public elections.
-Believe in tougher financial regulations.
-Believe in better pollution controls.

I can go on and on, but basically I am a middle of the road person.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #331 on: February 20, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »

I oppose amnesty.
I oppose abortion.
I oppose gun control.
I support marriage privatization.
I support more privatization in general.
I oppose the federal reserve. (Pro audit too obviously.)
I support government drug tests for welfare recipients. Like bankers.
I oppose income tax and the IRS. I strongly support the FAIR tax.
I oppose increased government spending during recessions.
I support deregulation and cutting/abolishing government departments.
I oppose green hysteria and boondoggles like "cap and trade" & "carbon taxes."
I wish the "99%" (what an idiotic phrase) would shut up.

I think that does it.

Wait, you consider yourself a liberal ? Tongue

He's basically what the late Einzige would call a 'left-libertarian'.   
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »

In economic terms, I don't really have any left leaning aspects that I can think of right away, so I'm pretty dogmatic there.

Socially, I'm very much in favor of gay rights. Same sex marriage, ENDA, partial repeal of DOMA etc and I absolutely abhor the death penalty.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »

- Pro-Choice
- Pro-Drug Legalization
- Pro-Gay Rights
- Pro-Immigration
- Pro-Euthanasia
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #334 on: July 16, 2012, 07:00:07 AM »

Most non-libertarian aspects:

Pro-union
Anti-privatization
Don't think private is automatically better than public (big business is about equal with big goverment)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #335 on: July 16, 2012, 10:04:37 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2012, 10:09:59 AM by TNF »

- I'm a lot more hawkish than the average Democrat. That's not to say I'm a neocon, but it's also not to say that I'm a dove and think that all wars are without exception bad. I am a realist and believe that yes, war can be a tool for creating peace and establishing justice just as easily as it can be a tool to create more violence, instability, and chaos. Obama intervening in Libya is something that I probably personally would not have done were I in his shoes, but it's proven to be the right decision and something that I think he deserves credit for. The War in Iraq...not so much. It was completely unrequited and stupid from the start. I am for using military force to stop aggression and in self defense. Everything else should be thought of on a case-by-case basis.
- I think that we should eliminate corporate taxation and/or tax corporate cash stockpiles instead to encourage investment. I'm also in favor of a Value Added Tax, provided that it means we have exemptions for food, clothing, medicine, and education. I think that regressive taxation is easier done than progressive taxation, though I favor the latter; I think that social insurance programs should be entirely mostly financed by payroll taxation, however.
- I think conscription is preferable to an all volunteer military.
- I am totally opposed to any form of gun control at any level.
- There's nothing wrong with using what fossil fuels we have while we transition to cleaner sources of energy. I'm down with clean coal and the Keystone XL pipeline, along with expanding offshore drilling (but not drilling in ANWR) and exploiting our massive reserves of natural gas. I am also a HUGE fan of nuclear power.
- I am opposed to affirmative action.
- I think guest worker programs are immoral in a country with 8.5 8.2% unemployment and that they need to be ended until we're operating at something *close* to full employment again. I believe that we need to reform our immigration system to encourage high-skilled, high-wage workers rather than low-wage workers.
- I'm completely fine with the Interstate Highway System and would love to see serious expansion and revitalization efforts therein.
- I'm alright with school choice so long as it's confined to public schools only.
- I think that liberals exaggerate the threat of climatic change. Yes, it's going to be a bitch to live through. No, it's not going to wipe out the human race. Chill out.

Correcting the record, and then adding some more.

- I do not think we should legalize every controlled substance known to man. Cannabis should be made legal and treated as we treat alcohol, but I draw the line there. This is not to say that I support the 'War on Drugs', rather that I am in favor of adopting harm reduction strategies to combat the drug problem in the United States, and requiring rehabilitation, rather than prison time, for addicts.
- The military budget should not be unilaterally cut, rather scaled down in certain areas and ramped up in others. I think we should cut ground forces (but not until the economy is producing enough jobs to make up from the losses) and expand capabilities for space and cyber warfare.
- I am not opposed to the use of drone warfare. If anything, I'm whole-heartedly supportive of the use of drones and would like to see the Air Force mostly automated within my lifetime.
- I am totally in favor of GM foods.
- I am opposed to 'Cap and Trade' and 'Carbon Taxation' because of the negative effects they will have on the poorest Americans with regard to paying energy bills. If anything, we should subsidize the hell out of clean energy, rather than trying to rig markets in favor of energy that isn't as efficient, such as solar. I highly favor transitioning away from oil and coal towards natural gas and (eventually) nuclear power.
- Big business is ten times more efficient and often better for their workforce than are small businesses. Plus, big business is more likely to recognize and work with a union within their plant, shop, factory, etc. Basically, big business > small business in terms of just about everything.
- Anti-trust law has outlived it's usefulness in the 21st Century. We should allow the formation of industrial combines on the condition that these combines allow for unionization and center their production in the United States.
- Corporate welfare needs to be expanded, not eliminated.
- I favor agriculture subsidies.
- I do not favor traditional welfare programs. Rather, I favor the unemployed being put directly to work by the government or being given an education to get a better job at some point in the future, rather than just sitting around and collecting from the public dole.
- I think Bradley Manning is a traitor and reaps whatever he sowed.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #336 on: July 16, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

- I'm a lot more hawkish than the average Democrat. That's not to say I'm a neocon, but it's also not to say that I'm a dove and think that all wars are without exception bad. I am a realist and believe that yes, war can be a tool for creating peace and establishing justice just as easily as it can be a tool to create more violence, instability, and chaos. Obama intervening in Libya is something that I probably personally would not have done were I in his shoes, but it's proven to be the right decision and something that I think he deserves credit for. The War in Iraq...not so much. It was completely unrequited and stupid from the start. I am for using military force to stop aggression and in self defense. Everything else should be thought of on a case-by-case basis.
- I think that we should eliminate corporate taxation and/or tax corporate cash stockpiles instead to encourage investment. I'm also in favor of a Value Added Tax, provided that it means we have exemptions for food, clothing, medicine, and education. I think that regressive taxation is easier done than progressive taxation, though I favor the latter; I think that social insurance programs should be entirely mostly financed by payroll taxation, however.
- There's nothing wrong with using what fossil fuels we have while we transition to cleaner sources of energy. I'm down with clean coal and the Keystone XL pipeline, along with expanding offshore drilling (but not drilling in ANWR) and exploiting our massive reserves of natural gas. I am also a HUGE fan of nuclear power.
- I think guest worker programs are immoral in a country with 8.5 8.2% unemployment and that they need to be ended until we're operating at something *close* to full employment again. I believe that we need to reform our immigration system to encourage high-skilled, high-wage workers rather than low-wage workers.
- I'm completely fine with the Interstate Highway System and would love to see serious expansion and revitalization efforts therein.
- I'm alright with school choice so long as it's confined to public schools only.
- I think that liberals exaggerate the threat of climatic change. Yes, it's going to be a bitch to live through. No, it's not going to wipe out the human race. Chill out.

- I do not think we should legalize every controlled substance known to man. Cannabis should be made legal and treated as we treat alcohol, but I draw the line there. This is not to say that I support the 'War on Drugs', rather that I am in favor of adopting harm reduction strategies to combat the drug problem in the United States, and requiring rehabilitation, rather than prison time, for addicts.
- The military budget should not be unilaterally cut, rather scaled down in certain areas and ramped up in others. I think we should cut ground forces (but not until the economy is producing enough jobs to make up from the losses) and expand capabilities for space and cyber warfare.
- I am not opposed to the use of drone warfare. If anything, I'm whole-heartedly supportive of the use of drones and would like to see the Air Force mostly automated within my lifetime.
- I am opposed to 'Cap and Trade' and 'Carbon Taxation' because of the negative effects they will have on the poorest Americans with regard to paying energy bills. If anything, we should subsidize the hell out of clean energy, rather than trying to rig markets in favor of energy that isn't as efficient, such as solar. I highly favor transitioning away from oil and coal towards natural gas and (eventually) nuclear power.
- Big business is ten times more efficient and often better for their workforce than are small businesses. Plus, big business is more likely to recognize and work with a union within their plant, shop, factory, etc. Basically, big business > small business in terms of just about everything.
- Anti-trust law has outlived it's usefulness in the 21st Century. We should allow the formation of industrial combines on the condition that these combines allow for unionization and center their production in the United States.
- I do not favor traditional welfare programs. Rather, I favor the unemployed being put directly to work by the government or being given an education to get a better job at some point in the future, rather than just sitting around and collecting from the public dole.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: July 16, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

Anyways, I'm not a liberal.  But I'll try to participate anyways.

I'd say my opposition to gun control is fairly "conservative," but it's actually fairly typical of my ideological brethren.  Hm...

The most "conservative" thing about me would probably be the fact that despite how much I despise traditional values, including monogamy and the nuclear family, I sort of have a "sex is icky" sort of mindset.  And despite the fact that I oppose patriarchy and the sexualization of everything about women, I seem to dislike that sort of pro-breastfeeding in public movement.  But probably because I just find it icky and dislike hippy-dippy crap, rather than any sort of "cover your breasts up" moralfiggotry.  I find babies and everything about our culture in regards to them annoying, so yeah...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #338 on: July 16, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »

Overall I despise hippy-dippy romanticism.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #339 on: July 16, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

I support nationalizing various sectors of the economy and rigging markets to favor American producers and consumers, as well as strongly supporting unions. Those positions alone make it impossible for me to be a Republican. Tongue

Well, that and I'd never be caught dead calling myself a Republican, because I'm not a Republican. I'm decidedly left-of-center. You'll notice that just about none of the things I posted have to do with economics, mostly because I'm to the left of the entire Democratic Party on economic policy, save for cap and trade, which is a conservative policy to begin with.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #340 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:54 AM »

Time for an update:

Least Conservative aspects:

I support gay marriage.
I support a path to citizenship, working visas, oppose border fence, etc.
I believe abortion should be legal.*
I support some regulations on business.
I believe, at the very least, marijuana should be legalized.
I oppose the PATRIOT Act.
I oppose foreign interventionism.
I support free and fair trade.
I believe healthcare should be provided by the state Government to the poorest residents of the state.**
I believe it is, in some cases, appropriate for the rich to pay slightly higher taxes.***
I'm rather neutral regarding the death penalty.

That's basically it.

* = I believe abortion should be legal, but should not be funded using taxpayer dollars. I consider myself morally pro-life, but politically pro-choice. The states should decide their own abortion laws.

** = Not sure how "un-conservative" it is to say the state Government should provide it.

*** = In some cases, such as when there is an economic boom, having a slightly progressive tax system is appropriate. Reagan raised taxes 4 times(?) all during economic upturns.

That's really it.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #341 on: July 16, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »

I support nationalizing various sectors of the economy and rigging markets to favor American producers and consumers, as well as strongly supporting unions. Those positions alone make it impossible for me to be a Republican. Tongue

Well, that and I'd never be caught dead calling myself a Republican, because I'm not a Republican. I'm decidedly left-of-center. You'll notice that just about none of the things I posted have to do with economics, mostly because I'm to the left of the entire Democratic Party on economic policy, save for cap and trade, which is a conservative policy to begin with.

I was joking, really.  You're more of a Blue Dog Democrat, from what I've seen.  Certainly nowhere near being a Republic**nt.

I think I've actually characterized you, to myself, as "like the average Democratic politician."
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #342 on: July 16, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »

I was joking, really.  You're more of a Blue Dog Democrat, from what I've seen.  Certainly nowhere near being a Republic**nt.

I think I've actually characterized you, to myself, as "like the average Democratic politician."

Oh no, no. I'm not a Blue Dog. They're mad about reducing the deficit and cutting into social programs. I could care less about the deficit (at least while the economy is completely in the garbage bin) and wouldn't cut a dime from Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid. (And would generally make the latter programs a lot bigger and more inclusive, and reduce the retirement age to ~55 over a period of years)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies