US House Redistricting: Kentucky (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:02:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Kentucky (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Kentucky  (Read 34479 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« on: January 10, 2011, 09:20:25 AM »

This is an adaptation of what I came up with a while back:

Chandler's district is 51-48 McCain.

Republicans only have one third of the trifecta; Dems still have the State House and governorship. I don't see how they can successfully argue that the map should have 5 Republican districts. Maybe they get a favorable State Senate map in exchange or something.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »

Same situation as now -- Dem governor, Dem House, Republican Senate. However, KY-06 was held by a Republican that time (Ernie Fletcher), and KY-04 by a Democrat (Ken Lucas).
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 11:19:56 AM »

How exactly does he push through a "hack plan" (which a 4-2 map certainly is not) with a Republican Senate?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »

Yeah, unless it's a complaint based on federal law (like the VRA), redistricting cases would be filed in state court. Incidentally, are there any other significant federal laws regarding redistricting other than the VRA? I can't think of any offhand.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »

How exactly does he push through a "hack plan" (which a 4-2 map certainly is not) with a Republican Senate?
He calls a special session in the summer and presents his hack plan to the public, saying that he wants to help Obama out by giving Chandler a more favorable district.  And uses it as the central theme of his re-election campaign.  Chandler appears along side him, and says, we just barely hung on in 2010.  I need to get some of the Republicans out of my district.  Obama flies down and uses his condescending lecturing tone to tell the voters that now is not the time to cling to their religion and congressional districts.  You're right, it won't happen.

You have a rich fantasy life.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »

There's still enough Dem-friendly territory to constitute a non-Louisville district. The question is whether Chandler would *want* a safer district, given his conservadem tendencies.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:59 PM »

Kentucky House Dems have proposed a map:

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »

KY-01 is looking more and more like a snail with each passing redistricting.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies