Huckabee/Santorum vs Obama/Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Huckabee/Santorum vs Obama/Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Huckabee/Santorum vs Obama/Biden  (Read 4031 times)
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:36 AM »

Unemployment is at 8.9% and slowly falling, Health Care Reform has not been repealed, and the Economy remains top priority in the election with Health Care Reform second and Gun Control third. Post maps. 
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »

Maybe something like this?  I would give Florida, Colorado, and maybe Virginia to Huckabee if it weren't for Santorum.

exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 08:58:19 AM »

Maybe something like this?  I would give Florida, Colorado, and maybe Virginia to Huckabee if it weren't for Santorum.

I agree. I might flip Florida, but thats about it. Virginia might be the closest state, though I figure Obama is going to have a wide advantage there either way.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »

Agreed.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »

Huckabee: 272
Obama: 266

Obama wins the popular vote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »

Huckabee wouldn't pick Santorum. Gun control as the third most important issue? Come on. If true, I guess Yelnoc's map is most accurate though I'd have Huckabee winning Florida.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »

I think that if Huckabee were to get the nomination, his VP choice would be extremely interesting. I don't think it would be Santorum, it definitely wouldn't be Romney. I could see him picking Daniels actually, or a House member (Pence/Ryan/Cantor). In any event, if he were to pick Santorum, it'd be a drag on the ticket, and I say that as someone who kind of likes Santorum on a personal level.

If Huckabee picked the right running mate (any of those I listed above) and ran a good campaign (which I think he would), I think he would take IN, VA, NC, FL, IA, and OH back. That would be 272 electoral votes and the victory. If he failed in any of those states though, it's tough, because I don't think he could take CO, NM, or NV unless he does really well among hispanics.

With Santorum I don't think he takes that many back, because I think if he did pick Santorum he'd be running a not-so-great campaign.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 06:14:41 PM »

Yeah. When was the last time that the GOP picked two people from the same part of their party?

I mean, Bush was sort of like Huckabee and Cheney was sort of like McCain (would say neocon, but more likely just a "hawk"). McCain/Palin was really the same sort of thing but backwards. I'm guessing Dole/Kemp was kinda where just two of the same were on the same ticket... 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 06:21:27 PM »

I'm guessing Dole/Kemp was kinda where just two of the same were on the same ticket... 

Kemp was a "compassionate conservative", while Dole was a "dour conservative", or something like that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »

Yeah. When was the last time that the GOP picked two people from the same part of their party?

They might be from the same part because they are seen as being social conservative champions but Huckabee and Santorum have differences in other areas.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »

I'm guessing Dole/Kemp was kinda where just two of the same were on the same ticket... 

Jack Kemp was a Reaganesque supply sider while Bob Dole was a deficit hawk who voted against the JFK tax cuts.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »

They might be from the same part because they are seen as being social conservative champions but Huckabee and Santorum have differences in other areas.

Like?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

Like?

Immigration and economic issues

I think Santorum attacked Huckabee in 2008 for being too much of a big spender.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »

Well Huckabee would probably win this match up if it weren't for Santorum. It would be closer than 2008, probably looking like the maps above but VA going to Huck, and maaybe Ohio.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »

Well Huckabee would probably win this match up if it weren't for Santorum. It would be closer than 2008, probably looking like the maps above but VA going to Huck, and maaybe Ohio.

Did you even bother to read the other factors or did you just want to bash Santorum? Gun control as the third most important issue? Unemployment falling. It wouldn't matter who the running mate is.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »

Like?

Immigration and economic issues

I think Santorum attacked Huckabee in 2008 for being too much of a big spender.

So someone who wants to be conservative on everything as a running mate for someone who seems open-minded with the excepting of wanting to make all kinds of laws about killing babies and the appropriate way to deal with gay guys. I guess it could kind of unite the entire Religious Right, right? A catholic and an evangelical on the same ticket? Sounds bold. Then again the strength of Huckabee's social conservatism drowns out his moderate or at least less severe positions on race relations, immigration,  criminal rehabilitation and welfare.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »

Did you even bother to read the other factors or did you just want to bash Santorum? Gun control as the third most important issue? Unemployment falling. It wouldn't matter who the running mate is.

It resembles the nation pretty much today (minus unemployment). Health Care wasn't/won't be repealed. Gun rights is an issue due to Tuscon. Come on, the only scenario Santorum wins is if there's two liberals running. And why would Santorum balance the ticket at all? Social conservatives love Huckabee already, and that's santorum's only group, there are far superior candidates to bring fiscal conservative credentials to the ticket.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »

So someone who wants to be conservative on everything as a running mate for someone who seems open-minded with the excepting of wanting to make all kinds of laws about killing babies and the appropriate way to deal with gay guys.

Thanks for that thoughtful post.

It resembles the nation pretty much today (minus unemployment). Health Care wasn't/won't be repealed. Gun rights is an issue due to Tuscon.

Is this a serious comment? "Healthcare wasn't repealed." Ok, we've had control of the House for like a week. Gun rights? Yeah, it's an issue due to Tucson. It won't be an issue a year from now barring some disaster.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was the first one here to say Santorum wouldn't on the ticket in this case. Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said he'd balance the ticket. I just said that they have differences.

And Santorum doesn't have just one group. In fact, the man has spoken about foreign policy far more than any social policy ever since 2005.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 02:56:56 AM »

Huckabee wouldn't pick Santorum. Gun control as the third most important issue? Come on. If true, I guess Yelnoc's map is most accurate though I'd have Huckabee winning Florida.

I wanted to try it out at least, Huckabee still has the highest favorable out of all the Republicans (so far), and everyone has been speculating Santorum as a VP. I still think Gun Control will be a issue going into 2012, just not as heated as it is now. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

"Everyone" is speculating that Santorum could be a Vice Presidential candidate? I don't think so.  Tongue  Gun control is never a top issue either so you'd need some absolute disaster to change that.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:10:25 PM »

"Everyone" is speculating that Santorum could be a Vice Presidential candidate? I don't think so.  Tongue  Gun control is never a top issue either so you'd need some absolute disaster to change that.

Well it's a good thing this isn't real then. Wink
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 02:11:12 PM »

Why would Santorum help Huckabee? I mean, the latter is already quite conservative, and picking Santorum wouldn't do him any favors with voters who aren't already right wing.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »

So someone who wants to be conservative on everything as a running mate for someone who seems open-minded with the excepting of wanting to make all kinds of laws about killing babies and the appropriate way to deal with gay guys.

Thanks for that thoughtful post.

It resembles the nation pretty much today (minus unemployment). Health Care wasn't/won't be repealed. Gun rights is an issue due to Tuscon.

Is this a serious comment? "Healthcare wasn't repealed." Ok, we've had control of the House for like a week. Gun rights? Yeah, it's an issue due to Tucson. It won't be an issue a year from now barring some disaster.

I was the first one here to say Santorum wouldn't on the ticket in this case. Why are you putting words in my mouth? I never said he'd balance the ticket. I just said that they have differences.

And Santorum doesn't have just one group. In fact, the man has spoken about foreign policy far more than any social policy ever since 2005.

You honestly think the democratic Senate will repeal the health care, and then together they will override Obama's veto? What world do you live in? And Santorum was never in the military, and never a top diplomat. He's neither Clinton nor McCain and therefore the nation doesn't see him as the foreign policy guy, doesn't matter who you are, if you don't fit into one of those categories really, that isn't your strong issue. Huckabee has tried to make himself that kind of person, he's in Israel all the time, that still barely, not even noticeably, gives him an edge over the rest of the field. And if you agree that this ticket wouldn't win, why are you attacking me for agreeing with you?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2011, 03:35:46 PM by Keystone Phil »

You honestly think the democratic Senate will repeal the health care, and then together they will override Obama's veto? What world do you live in?

I didn't say they would. I was taking it more as "healthcare won't be an issue."

Uh...wow. That's interesting logic.

Forget Santorum's twelve years of actually dealing with foreign/military policy and I guess you have a point. Detect my sarcasm yet?

I'm attacking your analysis of the race/Santorum.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 07:46:29 PM »

Huckabee/Santorum
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: