should the republicans try to repeal HCR (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:03:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should the republicans try to repeal HCR (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: should the republicans try to repeal HCR  (Read 3030 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: January 15, 2011, 03:53:21 PM »

Its funny, but I think its an electoral loser to attack it effectively.  It only feeds the base, who are signed on anyway, but it drives away the middle who will be fleeing back to the Dems en masse soon anyway with stabilizing economy.

They should probably just vote for repeal to feed the base, let that be vetoed or overridden by the Senate, and then just let it go.  Messing around with funding interminably will progressively make them look more and more extreme and less and less appealing to the middle.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 05:37:19 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2011, 05:38:59 PM by opebo »

all of that would make perfect sense if the middle actually supported the bill, wouldn't it.

They don't?

They used to.. then as it progressed towards passage and then into law, support slipped.  I suspect that it will act that way in reverse as well.  Once the Republicans get really ugly in their attempts to kill it, more and more people will think 'hey wait a minute, they're really going to take this away from me'..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:13:36 AM »

But angus, you aren't 'paying for' the health care of poors - they are paying for yours.  To take away some of your privilege to pay for basic care for them is a returning of the fruits of their labor to them, not taking yours.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »

Without free insurance as a floor to rescue the destitute no one except the very rich are really 'insured', angus, for the simple reason that the severely or chronically ill lose their jobs and their assets and thus cannot pay insurance (or are simply bumped from the insurance when they become too problematic, or are denied by clever arguments or claims that their condition was pre-existing).  Private health insurance without careful government regulation and a subsidy for the poor is worthless - just a deception.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »

You're talking about another issue, angus.  I was talking about insurance.  There's no such thing as secure private insurance, unless it is essentially a regulated public utility.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies