America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:09:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty  (Read 39772 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »
« edited: June 07, 2011, 10:26:59 PM by Honest Abe »

An Apostolic Calling

At this point between George Romney winning the Republican Presidential nomination and running in the Presidential election, some details on a member of the Romney family of considerable note.

Marion George Romney, usually referred to as Marion G Romney, a nephew of Gaskell Romney and a cousin of George W Romney.

Born in 1897.  

Earned degrees in political science, history and law.

Served as an assistant prosecuting attorney in Salt Lake City.

Served as a member of the Utah State Legislature as a Democrat 1934-1935.

Called as a General Authority in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as an Assistant to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles serving 1941-1951.

Called as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, the highest ranking council of the Church next to the First Presidency of the Church, serving 1951-1972.

Called as Second Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church, the highest ranking council of the Church, serving 1972-1982.

Called as First Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church, serving 1982-1985.

The First Presidency of the Church consists of the President of the Church, the First Counselor in the First Presidency and the Second Counselor in the First Presidency.

Returned to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, 1985 until his death in 1988.

The President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles is next in line to become President of the Church, however, Marion G Romney died before the President of the Church at the time.

Thus a member of the Romney family rises to the top echelons and councils of the Mormon Church.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2011, 09:11:36 PM by Honest Abe »

Note, the above details on Marion G Romney, Mormon Church authority, are completely factual.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »

Nixon Makes A Statement

This is NBC News.  We now take you live to the Nixon press conference.

RMN:  Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming here today.  As you know, Governor Romney has now secured the Republican Presidential nomination.  I congratulate him on this accomplishment, and pledge my support to him. 

Press:  Mr. Nixon, it seemed pretty clear from the outset that Romney was the odds on favorite.  Why did you decide to stay in the race until the end, rather than withdrawing earlier on?

RMN:  With a lifetime of public service, it was my desire to put my experience to work as President.  Things did not work out that way, but I can hold my head high knowing I gave it my best shot. 

Press:  Mr. Nixon, are you open to serving in a Romney administration?

RMN:  I am always open to serving my country.

Press:  Mr. Nixon, I simply have to ask, do you have any comment to make on President Eisenhower's reported statement that he should have dropped you from the ticket in '56 when he had the chance?

RMN:  Well, as you said, this was a reported statement, so we do not know if President Eisenhower did in fact make that statement.

Press:  If he did in fact make that statement, what is your response?

RMN:  I will use the words of President Eisenhower himself, I have no comment.

After the press conference, Nixon confides to his good friend Robert Finch

What do they expect me to say?  Of all the things that have been said about me in my long public career, these words from Ike have hurt me more than anything I could ever imagine.

Finch:  Dick, I can understand why you would feel that way.  You served Eisenhower and the administration with every ounce of your being for eight years.  And this is how he repays you.

RMN:  Bob, regardless of my personal feelings, I will never say a negative thing about Ike.

Finch:  Understood Dick, understood.   
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2011, 08:29:44 PM »

Greatest TL ever!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »

Many thanks. 

I am extremely flattered.

Update coming Saturday.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2011, 01:34:49 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2015, 04:11:29 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Romney Goes To The People, The Democrats Continue To Battle It Out

Governor George W Romney, nomination in hand, looks forward with steely determination and unshakeable resolve to take his message of peace, hope and renewal of America's spirit to the nation.

Romney decides to undertake an ambitious pre convention campaign tour covering fourteen states.  His core message is unity and prosperity.

Romney makes a whirlwind campaign tour through states he and his campaign have determined will be hotly contested battleground states in the coming campaign, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Missouri, Oregon, Ohio, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Minnesota, Iowa, Washington, Illinois, New Jersey, California.

Meanwhile, the Democrats continue to battle it out for the nomination.  

Senator Eugene McCarthy continues to impress Democratic voters in the primaries.  Coming off of his surprisingly strong finish in New Hampshire, where he almost defeats an incumbent President, he takes Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and even the Kennedy home state of Massachusetts in the following primaries.

The concern starts to show in the Robert Kennedy campaign.  Kennedy is shocked and dismayed by his loss in Massachusetts.  But he was now looked upon by Massadchusetts voters as a New Yorker, which accounted for the result.  

McCarthy and Kennedy continue to fight for the primary voters.  Kennedy defeats McCarthy in Indiana and Nebraska.  They now move onto the crucial primary in Oregon.  

The Oregon Democratic primary proves to be the most bitter and acrimonious of the Democratic primary season, and in the end, Senator McCarthy defeats Senator Kennedy by six points.

McCarthy:  This is a victory for America and for peace.

Kennedy:  I'm a Kennedy, and Kennedy's don't like to lose.  Onto California and onto Chicago.

California becomes the make or break state for the Kennedy campaign.  After a very intense and acerbic campaign, however, McCarthy defeats Kennedy by four points.  

Exit polling reveals an interesting finding.  When Democrats were asked why they chose McCarthy over Kennedy, the overwhelming reason given to pollsters was because Romney was seen as the peace candidate, and the Democrats wanted to reclaim the peace issue.

In the other primaries held that same day, McCarthy defeats Kennedy in New Jersey by five points and Kennedy defeats McCarthy in South Dakota by three points.

One week later in the Illinois primary, McCarthy defeats Kennedy by four points.

After the primaries, McCarthy truly had the wind at his back on his way to the windy city and the convention.  

But there was still one obstacle standing between McCarthy and the Democratic crown, and that obstacle was none other than the Vice President of the United States, Hubert H Humphrey.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2011, 04:01:44 PM »

I admit that this TL, despite all intentional bias and my own dislike for the Romneys, is fairly entertaining.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:20 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2015, 04:16:47 PM by Lincoln Republican »

George Romney And His Running Mate Make History

At the conclusion of his successful and high profile  fourteen state campaign swing, Romney returns to Michigan to take care of some very important business.

Saturday, August 3, 1968, a beautiful sunny day in Lansing.  

Presidential candidate Romney speaks to the cheering and excited assembled crowd, estimated at one hundred thousand.

My friends, my fellow Americans, thank you so much for that magnificent welcome.  And thank you to all those Americans viewing this great event on television.  I am told millions have joined us today via television.  I would publicly like to thank the thousands I have met on my recent campaign swing through fourteen of our great states.

Now, we all know why we are gathered here today.  This day belongs to the man standing here beside me.  A former  Attorney General of Massachusetts, and now U.S. Senator, my friends, my fellow Americans, it is my great honor to present to you the next Vice President of the United States, Senator Edward Brooke of the great state of Massachusetts.....(wild cheering).....a man prepared to serve his country in this office. Senator Brooke and I will be carrying our message of peace and prosperity across this nation in the coming weeks and months.  He will be an integral member of the Romney Brooke administration.

Senator Brooke

Thank you Governor Romney.  My fellow Americans, friends, Governor George Romney has honored me beyond anything I could have imagined by asking me to join him on the Republican ticket.  (wild cheering)  Let me say, I look forward to running with Governor Romney and in serving with him in the new Romney Brooke administration.  (wild cheering)      

Governor Romney and I will be reaching out to Americans across this nation, inviting them to join with us in renewing our nation.  (wild cheering)

Meanwhile, in Montgomery, Alabama, a former Governor is viewing the proceedings on televisiion with considerable interest.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37:54 PM »

Wallace Gets A Running Mate

The DC office of Senator J. William Fulbright of Arkansas

Senator, George Wallace on the line for you.

JWF:  Put him through.

GW:  Bill, how ya doin'?

JWF:  Good George. 

GW:  Bill, ah don't like the way this Presidential race is shapin' up.  Romney scares the daylights outta me.  He's one ah the strongest advocates of civil rights I've ever seen.  He'd trample all over states rights if he could.  Now he picks a black runnin' mate.  The Democrat'll be just as bad, maybe worse.  Ah think Kennedy's done for, thank goodness.  Ah believe Romney's about forced the Democrats to pick McGovern over Humphrey.  They want a real peace candidate, thanks to Romney. 

JWF:  George, you're right about Romney and  civil rights, but actually ah don't believe he'd interfere in state issues.  He wants to keep the Republican base intact.

GW:  Well, that's good to know.  Bill, as you know, ah'm in the runnin' for President.  Ah have given it a great deal of thought and ah want you on the ticket for VP.  Ah need a credible runnin' mate like you. 

JWF:  George, you know we can't win.  Our base would be limited to some southern states. 

GW:  My goal is to win enough states to prevent Romney from winning the election.  Ah don't think the Democrats can beat Romney.  He's leadin' in all the polls.

JWF:  You're probably right.  Well, OK, ah accept.  As you know, ah'm  runnin' for reelection to the Senate, so I'll be runnin' for both offices at the same time.

GW:  Yes, ah know.  If we don't win, you'll still be in the Senate.  Good plan.  We'll take our campaign of law 'n order and states rights across America, concentratin' of course here in the south.  Thanks for yer support Bill.  Yer a great American.

JWF:  Thanks George.  Be seein' ya in a couple days.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »

Romney Unites The GOP

The law office of Richard Nixon, New York City

Mr. Nixon, George Romney is on the line.

RMN:  Put him through.

GWR:  Dick, I would like to thank you for your gracious remarks at your press conference.  You know Dick, as President, I would be a fool not to ask you to serve in the administration at a senior level.  I would hate to see your experience and abilities not made use of in my administration.  I want to ask to you to become a member of my administration Dick, should I become President.  What do you say?

RMN:  George, I was hoping you would be calling me about this.  Even though I won't be getting the job I wanted (both chuckle) I would very much like to return to public life as a member of your administration.  What did you have in mind George?

GWR:  Dick, I want you to become Secretary of State.  With your background and experience,  you bring with you the credentials and abilities I am looking for in this office.  One of the major undertakings you will have will be to lay the groundwork for the U.S. to open diplomatic relations with the Peoples Republic of China.

RMN:  George, I would be honored to become Secretary of State in your administration.  Opening up diplomatic relations with the PRC is something America must do.  I totally agree with you.

GWR:  Thanks Dick.  One more thing, I want you to place my name in nomination for President at the convention.  I want a united party Dick.  What better way to achieve this than to have the public support of the other most powerful Republican in America?

RMN:  George, I accept.  We're gonna win in November.  I can feel it.  And George, your pick of Ed Brooke for VP was the right one.  I know him.  He's totally up to the job.

GWR:  Thanks Dick.  That means a lot.  We'll keep this conversation between us for the time being.

RMN:  Absolutely George, absolutely.   

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2011, 08:50:19 AM »

While George Romney was a moderate, maybe Liberal Republican, Edward Brooke was most definitely a Liberal. Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:46 PM »

While George Romney was a moderate, maybe Liberal Republican, Edward Brooke was most definitely a Liberal. Tongue

I am fully aware that Brooke was most definitely a liberal, however, part of the premise of this timeline is the history made by the Romneys, and therefore George Romney made history by being the first Presidential nominee of a major party to pick an African American as his running mate to run for Vice President.

To give some balance to the ticket, I was considering Romney picking Reagan for Vice President, however, I decided for the history making rather than the ideological balance.  I also considered Romney's friend Rockefeller, however, Rockefeller would fill neither the historical nor the ideological criteria.  Smiley

I realize that in real life had Romney been the nominee that he would not have picked Brooke, rather, he would have gone with a more conservative pick, likely an experienced Senator.       
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »

Romney Continues To Prepare For Office

The office of Governor Nelson Rockefeller, Albany

Governor, George Romney for you.

NR:  Oh, put him right through.

GR:  Hi Nelson,  how are things there in New York today?

NR:  Great, George.  I'm looking forward to the convention.

GR:  That's good, because I would like you to give the keynote address.   

NR:  George, that would be a great honor. 

GR:  Thanks Nelson.  Now there is one other thing.  I want to get a headstart on the key administration posts.  Nelson, you and I see eye to eye on Vietnam.  I want you in cabinet as Secretary of Defense.

NR:  George, I would be looking forward to serving in your administration in this capacity.  but who are you picking for State?

GR:  Nelson, between you and I, I have offered that to Dick.  He is looking forward to it. 

NR:  Well, I must admit Dick has the qualifications.  Good pick George. 

GR:  Thanks Nelson.  And thank you for your tremendous support for the nomination.  See ya in Miami.

The William Scranton home, Scranton, Pennsylvania

WS:  Hello.

GR:  Bill, George.  Bill, I would like to thank you for the tremendous support you have been to me during the entire nomination process.

WS:  George, I am pleased that you have offered your experience, talents and abilities to the nation.  You're the one the nation needs at this time.

GR:  Thanks so much Bill.  Bill, I want to ask you to put your experience, talents and abilities to work in my administration and for the nation.  Bill, will you accept the post of Attorney General in my cabinet?  There is no one I would want in that position more than you.

WS:  George, I would be honored.  And thanks so much for asking me.

GR:  Bill, I would also like to ask you to speak at the convention, on justice and law and order issues.

WS:  I shall be pleased to do so.

GR:  Great.  See you in Miami.   

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2011, 10:09:46 PM »

I could actually see Nixon & Rocky's cabinet posts switched up. Both had a large amount of foreign policy experience, but Nixon served in the military. I can actually see Rocky getting the same attacks Cheney & Rummy would get decades earlier.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2011, 11:10:41 PM »

I could actually see Nixon & Rocky's cabinet posts switched up. Both had a large amount of foreign policy experience, but Nixon served in the military. I can actually see Rocky getting the same attacks Cheney & Rummy would get decades earlier.

In fact, I was actually thinking earlier of giving Rockefeller State, however, Romney believes Nixon would be more pleased with State than Defense, and he was trying to unite the party.  Romney also believes that Nixon would be the right one to lay the groundwork for opening up relations with China.  In real life, there was talk in 1956 that Eisenhower would drop Nixon from the ticket and appoint him Secretary of State.

As well, Romney and Rockefeller have the same views about Vietnam, the dominant foreign issue of the day.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2011, 12:03:38 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2011, 10:18:43 AM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Romney Calls Marriott

The corporate execuitive offices of the Marriott Corporation.  

George Romney puts in a call to his good friend J. Willard Marriott, CEO of the Marriott Corporation.

Mr. Marriott, Governor Romney on the line.

JWM:  Put him right through.

GWR:  John, how are you and the family doing, and by the way, can you fix me up with a room?  I'm visiting Miami Beach in the next few days.

Laughs from both.

JWM:  George, my family and I are doing great.  And are you hoping to get the corporate rate?

More laughs.

GWR:  John, I have picked most of my top cabinet team, except for Treasury.  John, I want you for Secretary of the Treasury.  What do you say?

JWM:  What do I say?  Well, I am honored and humbled that you would ask me George.  What an opportunity that would be to serve your administration and the nation, but I have a worldwide business to run.

GWR:  John, your son Bill can take over the CEO duties.  He has inherited your talent and business acumen.  You have one of the most brilliant financial and entrepurnial minds in America, and you are among the most talented and capable executives I know, and I know a lot of them.  John, I want you to put your talents and gifts to work for America.  The nations' economy will be in good hands with you leading Treasury.  John, I need you, America needs you and your tremendous abilities.

JWM:  Well George, since you put it that way, how could I say no.  I will be proud to serve your administration and the nation.  I am looking forward to having a competent President like you George to replace the aimless and incompetent LBJ.  The man is a walking disaster.

GWM:  Thank you John.  You have made me very happy.  One more thing.  I would like you to speak at the convention.  You will be speaking about the new economy under the Romney administration.  

JWM:  Looking forward to it George.

GWR:  See ya in Miami.      
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »

if Mitt wins the presidency I don't know how we're going to endure the strokefest that will ensue, though on one level I feel happy for him.  it'd be kind of like me getting to see the Mets win the World Series.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 01:01:08 AM by Lincoln Republican »

The Republican National Convention opens in Miami Beach, Florida, Monday,  August 5, 1968.

The eyes of the nation are on the convention, waiting to hear George Romney's vision for America.

But before the nominee and his pick for Vice President, Senator Edward Brooke, address the convention, the nation is to hear from some famous Americans on the important issues of the day.

Governor Nelson Rockefeller will deliver the keynote address and will discuss defense issues.

Former Vice President Richard Nixon will address the issue of America and it's place in the world.

Former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton will address law and justice issues.

Business executive J. Willard Marriott will address financial and economic issues.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 01:03:48 AM by Lincoln Republican »

The convention opens.

The crowd starts chanting

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

ROMNEY

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:51 AM »

What's with all the random spaces between sentences? I assumed they were pictures that weren't popping up, but when I pressed the "quote" button to see, there was just space.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

Should be back to normal now.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »

The spaces were still there. In this (below), that's what it would look like without the spaces.

The Republican National Convention opens in Miami Beach, Florida, Monday,  August 5, 1968. The eyes of the nation are on the convention, waiting to hear George Romney's vision for America. But before the nominee and his pick for Vice President, Senator Edward Brooke, address the convention, the nation is to hear from some famous Americans on the important issues of the day. Governor Nelson Rockefeller will deliver the keynote address and will discuss defense issues. Former Vice President Richard Nixon will address the issue of America and it's place in the world. Former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton will address law and justice issues.
Business executive J. Willard Marriott will address financial and economic issues.

The convention opens.
The crowd starts chanting
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
ROMNEY
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2011, 11:25:59 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 01:06:52 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Memorable Moments From The Republican National Convention

Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York, keynote address and defense

America is not just a power, it is a promise. It is not enough for our country to be extraordinary in might; it must be exemplary in meaning.

It is essential that we enable young people to see themselves as participants in one of the most exciting eras in history, and to have a sense of purpose in relation to it.

President George Romney will resolve Vietnam effectively.

Former Vice President Richard Nixon of New York, America and the world

A President needs a global view, a sense of proportion and a keen sense of the possible. George Romney posses these qualities.  As President, George Romney adheres to the following principles.

Always be prepared to negotiate, but never negotiate without being prepared.
Never be belligerent, but always be firm.
Always remember that covenants should be openly agreed to but privately negotiated.
Never seek publicity that would destroy the ability to get results.
Never give up unilaterally what could be used as a bargaining chip.
Never let your adversary underestimate what you would do in response to a challenge.
Always leave your adversary a face-saving line of retreat.
Distinguish between friends who provide some human rights and enemies who deny all human rights.
Do at least as much for our friends as our adversaries do for our enemies.
Never lose faith. Faith without strength is futile, but strength without faith is sterile.

Former Governor William Scranton of Pennsylvania, law and justice.

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.

At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst.

No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

J. Willard Marriott, financial and economic issues.

It's a disgrace that we have millions of people who are uninsured, but at the same time too - in the eyes of the American people, in my judgment, it looked as if that somehow become more important than the main attack which was to fix the economy and get the Americans working again.

George Romney will get America working again.

Economy is the method by which we prepare today to afford the improvements of tomorrow.

George Romney knows how to run an economy.  He proved that as a business executive in the private sector.  He proved that as the Governor of a major industrial state in the public sector.  President Romney will restore faith, credibility, and prosperity to the American economy.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2011, 02:52:51 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Senator Edward Brooke Accepts The Nomination For Vice President

Ladies and gentlemen, fellow Republicans, fellow Americans, thank you so much for that tremendous welcome.  You have touched my heart.

I am honored beyond words that Governor Romney has called upon me to be his running mate, to become the next Vice President of the United States, and to work with him and his administration in moving our great nation forward.  Governor Romney has made it clear to me that he wants me to play a vital and integral role in his administration.  

Governor Romney has spent his life breaking barriers and bridging divides.  In calling upon me to become his running mate, this is one more barrier that Governor Romney has broken.  Thank you Governor Romney.

I accepted Governor Romney's invitation because I have no doubt whatsoever that he is the individual that we need at this point in our history to unite our nation once again, to break the barriers that keep us apart, and to bridge the divides that separate us.

America's economy is struggling, the Romney Brooke administation will bring our nation back to prosperity.

Young Americans are dying in a foreign war in southeast Asia, directed by an increasingly incompetent President, with our loses mounting year after year.  The Romney Brooke administration will bring peace out of chaos.

My friends, my fellow Republicans, my fellow Americans, our cause is just, our course is right, our policies are clear.  We are in this to win and to restore faith and respect in America once again.  And win we shall.

God bless you, God bless America.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2015, 10:23:34 PM by Lincoln Republican »

George Romney Accepts The Presidential Nomination

(With much thanks to RMN) Smiley

Ladies and gentlemen, fellow Republicans, fellow Americans, thank you so much for that tremendous ovation.  Lenore and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.  

I accept the nomination of the Republican Party for President of the United States.

Governor Rockefeller, Vice President Nixon, Governor Scranton, J.W. Marriott, thanks to all of you for your words of inspiration.  America will be well served with each of you in responsible leadership roles.

We're going to win because this great convention has demonstrated to the nation that the Republican party has the leadership, the platform and the purpose that America needs.

I am honored to have Senator Edward Brooke as my running mate.  He is going to make a great Vice President.

And I congratulate former Vice President Nixon, I congratulate Governor Reagan, I congratulate all those who have made the hard fight that they have for this nomination, and I know that you will all fight even harder for the great victory our party is going to win in November because we're going to be together in that election campaign.

And a party that can unite itself will unite America.

My fellow Americans, most important we're going to win because our cause is right. We make history tonight not for ourselves but for the ages. The choice we make in 1968 will determine not only the future of America but the future of peace and freedom in the world for the last third of the 20th century, and the question that we answer tonight: can America meet this great challenge?

As we look at America, we see cities enveloped in smoke and flame. We hear sirens in the night. We see Americans dying on distant battlefields abroad. We see Americans hating each other; fighting each other; killing each other at home.

And as we see and hear these things, millions of Americans cry out in anguish.

And this I say, this I say to you tonight, is the real voice of America. In this year 1968, this is the message it will broadcast to America and to the world.

Let's never forget that despite her faults, America is a great nation. And America is great because her people are great.

America's in trouble today not because her people have failed but because her leaders have failed. And what America wants are leaders to match the greatness of her people.

We've had enough of big promises and little action. The time has come for an honest government in the United States of America.

And there is only one answer to such a record of failure, and that is the complete house cleaning of those responsible for the failures and that record. The answer is the complete reappraisal of America's policy in every section of the world. We shall begin with Vietnam.

And if the war is not ended when the people choose in November, the choice will be clear. Here it is: For four years this administration has had at its disposal the greatest military and economic advantage that one nation has ever had over another in a war in history. For four years America's fighting men have set a record for courage and sacrifice unsurpassed in our history. For four years this Administration has had the support of the loyal opposition for the objective of seeking an honorable end to the struggle.

And I pledge to you tonight that the first priority foreign policy objective of our next Administration will be to bring an end to the war in Vietnam. We shall not stop there. We need a policy to prevent more Vietnams. All of America's peacekeeping institutions and all of America's foreign commitments must be reappraisal.

And now to the leaders of the Communist world we say, after an era of confrontations, the time has come for an era of negotiations.

Where the world super-powers are concerned there is no acceptable alternative to peaceful negotiation. Because this will be a period of negotiations we shall restore the strength of America so that we shall always negotiate from strength and never from weakness.

We believe this should be an era of peaceful competition not only in the productivity of our factories but in the quality of our ideas. We extend the hand of friendship to all people. To the Russian people. To the Chinese people. To all people in the world. And we shall work toward the goal of an open world, open sky, open cities, open hearts, open minds. The next eight years my friends .

This period in which we're entering we will have the greatest opportunity for world peace, but also face the greatest danger of world war of any time in our history.

I believe we must have peace. I believe that we can have peace. But I do not underestimate the difficulty of this task.

Because, you see, the art of preserving peace is greater than that of waging war, and much more demanding.

And as we commit the new policies for America tonight, let me make one further pledge. For five years hardly a day has gone by when we haven't read or heard a report of the American flag being spit on, and our embassy being stoned, a library being burned, or an ambassador being insulted some place in the world, and each incident reduced respect for the United States until the ultimate insult inevitably occurred.

And I say to you tonight that when respect for the United States of America falls so low that a fourth-rate military power like Korea will seize an American naval vessel in the high seas, it's time for new leadership to restore respect for the United States of America.

A nation that can't keep the peace at home won't be trusted to keep the peace abroad. A President who isn't treated with respect at home will not be treated with respect abroad. A nation which can't manage its own economy can't tell others how to manage theirs.

If we are to restore prestige and respect for America abroad, the place to begin is at home - in the United States of America.

My friends, we live in an age of revolution in America and in the world. And to find the answers to our problems, let us turn to a revolution - a revolution that will never grow old, the world's greatest continuing revolution, the American Revolution.

Now there is no quarrel between progress and order because neither can exist without the other.

So let us have order in America, not the order that suppresses dissent and discourages change but the order which guarantees the right to dissent and provides the basis for peaceful change.

Let those who have the responsibility to enforce our laws, and our judges who have the responsibility to interpret them, be dedicated to the great principles of civil rights. But let them also recognize that the first civil right of every American is to be free from domestic violence. And that right must be guaranteed in this country.

Because, my friends, let this message come through clear from what I say tonight. Time is running out for the merchants of crime and corruption in American society. The wave of crime is not going to be the wave of the future in the United States of America.

We shall reestablish freedom from fear in America so that America can take the lead of reestablishing freedom from fear in the world.

And so as we commit to order tonight, let us commit to progress.

And this brings me to the clearest choice among the great issues of this campaign.

To put it bluntly, we're on the wrong road and it's time to take a new road to progress.

Again we turn to the American Revolution for our answers. The war on poverty didn't begin five years ago in this country, it began when this country began.

It's been the most successful war on poverty in the history of nations. There's more wealth in America today, more broadly shared than in any nation in the world.

We are a great nation. And we must never forget how we became great.

America is a great nation today, not because of what government did for people, but because of what people did for themselves over 190 years in this country.

Let us increase the wealth of America so we can provide more generously for the aged and for the needy and for all those who cannot help themselves.

But for those who are able to help themselves, what we need are not more millions on welfare rolls but more millions on payrolls in the United States of America.

And let us build bridges, my friends, build bridges to human dignity across that gulf that separates black America from white America.

Black Americans - no more than white Americans - do not want more Government programs which perpetuate dependency. They don't want to be a colony in a nation. They want the pride and the self-respect and the dignity that can only come if they have an equal chance to own their own homes, to own their own businesses, to be managers and executives as well as workers, to have a piece of the action in the exciting ventures of private enterprise.

I pledge to you tonight that we shall have new programs which will provide that equal chance. We make great history tonight. We do not fire a shot heard round the world, but we shall light the lamp of hope in millions of homes across this world in which there is no hope today.

And that great light shining out from America will again become a beacon of hope for all those in the world who seek freedom and opportunity.

My fellow Americans, I believe that historians will recall that 1968 marked the beginning of the American generation in world history. Just to be alive in America, just to be alive at this time is an experience unparalleled in history. Here's where the nation is.

Eight years from now, in the second term of the next President, we will celebrate the 200th anniversary of the American Revolution.

As a young man, I watched my father, President Gaskell Romney, lead and inspire this nation during the final months of World War II.  Those were trying times for America.  These too are trying times for America.  I take inspiration and wisdom from my father, but most of all, I take inspiration from the American people.

We shall go forward with courage, we shall not back down, together, as a nation, strong and united, we will make history.

Thank you.  God bless you.  God bless America.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies