America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:31:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty  (Read 39753 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 11, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
« edited: July 12, 2011, 01:11:22 AM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

The Republican Ticket Hits The Road

Friday, August 9, 1968, the day following the Republican National Convention, George Romney and Edward Brooke relax and put the finishing touches on a planned campaign tour.  Saturday, August 10, Romney and Brooke embark on a campaign swing that will take them up to Saturday August 24, the weekend prior to the Democratic National Convention.

Romney and Brooke work their way together  from Miami campaigning through Florida, knowing this state will be crucial in the election.  From Florida, they begin campaigning separtely in southern states.  Romney to South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Brooke to North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia.

Romney to southern voters:  When I am President, I will appoint judges to the Supreme Court and federal courts who respect the constitution of the United States.

Brooke to southern voters:  When George Romney is President, he will appoint judges to the Supreme Court and federal courts who respect the constitution of the United states.

From the south, Romney and Brooke work their way up the east coast, Brooke to Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Romney to Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, both Romney and Brooke to New York where they campaign through the state with Governor Nelson Rockefeller, then both Romney and Brooke campaign through Massachusetts, culminating in a huge "Welcome Home" rally in Boston.

Governor John Volpe welcomes the Republican ticket to Massachusetts:  Governor Romney, Senator Brooke, we are so pleased to have you here in Massachusetts.  Ladies and gentlemen, the next President and Vice President of the United States.  

Brooke:  For too long, this nation has been adrift.  George Romney is going to be the President that will bring us together again.

Romney:  Thank you Governor, thank you Ed.  My friends, America is in crisis.  Young American lives are being lost at an unacceptable rate in a foreign war, to which there is no end in sight.  Rioting is running rampant in American cities.  Let me be as clear as I can,     THIS     WILL     NOT     CONTINUE.  When Ed Brooke and I take office, believe me, there is going to be some serious housecleaning, starting at the top.  WE WILL UNITE AMERICA, NOT DIVIDE IT.

The cheering and clapping is deafening.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:31 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2011, 07:53:59 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

The Democratic Debacle In Chicago (1)

The Democrats convene at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago August 26.  However, August 25, huge crowds of protestors have already gathered outside the convention hall, chanting STOP THE KILLING!!  STOP THE KILLING!!  The opening day of the convention, the situation turns violent, with protestors clashing with the Chicago police.

Inside the convention hall, the mood of delegates is decidedly downcast.  They are not in a mood to celebrate.  Post Republican convention public opinion polls put Romney ahead of any potential Democrat nominee by anwhere from 12 to 20 points.  The nation is in crisis.  The Democrats have been in power for the past 8 years.  The signs do not look good for the Democrats.

Georgia Governor Lester Maddox surprises the convention by being nominated from the floor:

Ah am in the runnin' fer Preseedent.  Elect me and ah'll end lawlesness in the streets.  We all know whose behind this lawlesness, (voice rising to a shout) it's the blacks!  That librul Romney won't do anythin' about black lawlesness.  He loves 'em.  He's got one of 'em runnin' with 'im.    

Senator Robert Kennedy of New York:

I am a Kennedy.  We don't lose.  I deserve this nomination.  It's my right.  My right I tell you, my right.  I can beat Romney, I can, I can, I really can, (voice fading) I     really     can.

Senator George McGovern of South Dakota:

We have fallen into a trap in Vietnam.  Can we trust Romney to get us out?  No!  I'll get us out the first six months of my administration.

I'll straighten out the economy.  I'll make the rich pay.

Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota:

Romney has become the peace candidate.  Can you believe it?  The Republican Presidential nominee the peace candidate?  That is exactly why I am really the only candidate who can take Romney on.  I can go toe to toe with Romney on the peace issue.  The Democratic Party must once again claim the peace issue.

Vice President Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota:

President Lyndon Johnson has been one of the most hard working and dedicated public servants in the history of this nation.  But, let me tell you, I am my own man.  I will take the nation in a new direction, not tied to the past.  A direction of peace and prosperity.  I will take the fight directly to George Romney.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »

Unless the DNC is a deliberate comedy attempt (which I suspect)...

RFK wasn't that dumb to deliver speech like this. He'd rather say some demagogically, but sound, BS.

Since RFK is alive TTL, I doubt McGovern would run, since in RL he was a merely late stand-in for Kennedy's delegates.

While Governor, Maddox was surprisingly "tolerant", in contrast to his previous, shameful behavior. I just don't see saying this in this place.

Last, but not least, I don't think candidates were allowed (correct me if I'm wrong) to deliver their own nomination speeches (for example, Ribicoff did McGovern nomination speech).

But, if this is a comedy attempt, then it's successfull, even if, naturally, hackish Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2011, 09:08:44 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

The Democratic Debacle In Chicago (2)

The Convention Chair:

Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, your attention please.  ORDER, ORDER!!

Voting is now open.  Please proceed in an orderly manner to the voting booths.  I SAID IN AN ORDERLY MANNER!!  (delegates rush to the voting booths)

Chair:  Uh, uh, Senator Hayden, SENATOR HAYDEN LOOK OUT!!  LOOK OUT!!

Hayden:  Wha, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Chair:  STOP, STOP, YOU HAVE JUST RUN OVER THE PRESIDENT PRO TEM, STOP, STOP!!!!!

NBC News:  Ladies and gentlemen, if you have just joined us, you may think we are covering events outside the convention hall, but no, we are right here, inside the hall.  It is as chaotic in here as it is outside.  (laughs)

This just in, we have a report on the condition of Senator Hayden.  It appears he suffered a sprained wrist before he was dragged out of the way of the rushing delegates.

Chair:  Ladies and gentlemen, the results of the first ballot.

Senator McCarthy 864
Vice President Humphrey 817
Senator McGovern 543
Governor Maddox 295
Senator Kennedy 89

NBC News:  Well, I guess Kennedy's speech really cost him, big time.  
Ya, I guess delegates didn't really believe he could beat Romney.  Not after that performance.

All of a sudden, Maddox rushes onto the podium, pushing aside the convention chair, and blasts into the microphone:  Ah'm in this thang ta win, y'all hear, ta win.  And a'hm gonna win, ah'm gonna wiiiiiiiiin!

Convention Chair:  Governor, Governor, you are not permitted to address the delegates at this time.  Get off the stage.  SECURITY, SECURITY!

Maddox, being carried off the stage, flailing his arms wildly:  A'HM GONNA WIN, A'HM GONNA WIIIIIIIIIIN!

NBC News:  Well, that was certainly quite a performance from Governor Maddox, witnessed by tens of millions of Americans live and in color.  

McGovern is seen sitting with a smile on his face, arms folded, not giving any statements to reporters, just waiting.  From one side of the hall, Humphrey is making his way toward McGovern through the throng of delegates and reporters, security clearing a path for him.  From the other side of the hall, McCarthy makes his way toward McGovern in the same way.    
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2011, 06:20:39 AM »

Chair:  STOP, STOP, YOU HAVE JUST RUN OVER THE PRESIDENT PRO TEM, STOP, STOP!!!!!

No country for old men.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2011, 09:04:31 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2011, 08:36:15 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

The Democrats Pick A Candidate

Humphrey reaches McGovern first, shaking his hand.  

Great showing George.  Great showing.  I'm just as pleased as punch with your support in the party.  We can work together George to move America forward.  I'm prepared to be President.  You and I can work together to make life better for Americans everywhere.

Just then, McCarthy reaches McGovern, shaking his hand.  

George, congratulations on your first ballot votes.  Together, you and I can bring peace to America and can get us out of the war.  Humphrey is too closely tied to Johnson to do any good.  Join me George for the good of America.

McGovern, in a calm, low key voice, network microphones all around him:  Thank you Mr. Vice President, Senator.  I have the utmost respect for both of you, however, I am remaining on the balloting.    

Convention chair:  Please proceed, IN AN ORDERLY MANNER, to the voting booths for the second ballot.

I have the results of the second ballot.

Senator McCarthy 839
Senator McGovern 781
Vice President Humphrey 704
Governor Maddox 280  

The McGovern supporters erupt in celebration.  The Humphrey supporters are downcast.  The Mccarthy supporters are dumbfounded.  The Maddox supporters remain defiant.

Convention chair:  Ladies and gentlemen, please proceed to the voting booths for the third ballot.  DO SO ORDERLY.

I have the results of the third ballot.

Senator McGovern 1304
Senator McCarthy 652
Vice president Humphrey 646

I declare Senator George McGovern as the Democratic Presidential nominee.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2011, 10:53:11 PM »

McGovern Names A Running Mate And Accepts The Nomination

After winning the nomination, McGovern announces to the convention:

I am honored to announce that Senator Frank Church of the great state of Idaho will be my running mate.  I am pleased to say that Senator Church was one of the first Senators to publicly oppose the Vietnam War.  Senator Church is one of the most talented and experienced public servants I know, having been serving in the Senate since 1957.   Frank has been an outstanding Senator, and I am proud to have him by my side in this campaign, and I know he will be a great Vice President.

McGovern accepts the nomination.  (thanks to GSM)

Tonight I accept your nomination with a full and grateful heart.  And as I said earlier this evening, I am proud to have Senator Frank Church by my side in this campaign as my running mate.

This is the people’s nomination and next January we will restore the government to the people of this country.

We are entering a new period of important and hopeful change in America, a period comparable to those eras that unleashed such remarkable ferment in the period of Jefferson and Jackson and Roosevelt.

I want those doors opened and I want that war closed. And I make these pledges above all others: the doors of government will be opened, and that war will be closed.

Within 90 days of my inauguration, every American soldier and every American prisoner will be out of the jungle and out of their cells and then home in America where they belong.

This is going to be a national campaign, carried to every part of the nation -- North, South, East and West. We’re not conceding a single state to George Romney.

The highest single domestic priority of the next administration will be to ensure that every American able to work has a job.

That job guarantee will and must depend on a reinvigorated private economy, freed at last from the uncertainties and burdens of war, but it is our firm commitment that whatever employment the private sector does not provide, the Federal government will either stimulate or provide itself.

We intend to begin by putting millions back to work and after that is done, we will assure to those unable to work an income fully adequate to a decent life.

An election year is the people’s year to speak, and this year, the people are going to ensure that the tax system is changed so that work is rewarded and so that those who derive the highest benefits will pay their fair share rather than slipping through the loopholes at the expense of the rest of us.

So join with me in this campaign. Lend Senator Church and me your strength and your support, and together we will call America home to the ideals that nourished us from the beginning.

Now is the time to meet that challenge.

Good night, and Godspeed to you all.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

Interesting Pick. However I'm not sure if Church would accept such an offer, giving the fact his seat was up for reelection a very same November (McGovern's seat too, but he seems to not care)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »

Interesting Pick. However I'm not sure if Church would accept such an offer, giving the fact his seat was up for reelection a very same November (McGovern's seat too, but he seems to not care)

You make a good point.  I'm not sure what the election laws are in Idaho, but I know in some states you can run for reelection to the Senate as well as for Vice President.  Perhaps Church is doing this. 

As for McGovern, he actually was a candidate for the Dem nomination in 1968, as you know.

McGovern picks Church mainly because of his long standing anti war stand.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2011, 08:39:06 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2011, 08:42:02 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

More Convention Drama

Just as Presidential nominee George McGovern finishes his acceptance speech, a loud ruckus can be heard on the convention floor.

Governor Lester Maddox, surrounded by hundreds of supporters from the deep south, is giving an interview to the press, which all the press agencies and television networks are covering live.

Maddox:  Well ain't this just enuff to turn yer stomach, two commie luvin' libruls.  Well, ah got news fer ya,

at which point Maddox and hundreds of followers begin exiting the convention hall, singing as they march on their way out of the hall

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten,
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land, where I was born in,
early on one frosty mornin',
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
to live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie

As Maddox and his followers are on their way out, others in the hall begin yelling , throwing paper cups, and shaking their fists at them.  Scuffles are breaking out on the convention floor between Maddox followers and others on the floor.  

Good riddance, we don't need you and your kind anyway.  Democrats don't like southern racist bigots.

Then, someone yells out, picked up clearly by the cameras and microphones

Who needs the south anyway?

The networks stop talking about McGovern and Church, and the Democratic platform, and start talking about this latest incident.

Well, I've been covering national conventions for years, and I have never, in my life, seen a convention as chaotic as this one.  To top it off, we have Democrats in the hall denouncing the south and saying to the nation they don't need the south anyway.

I'm sure Romney and the Republicans will have something to say about all this.

What a night.

This is NBC News signing off of the Democratic National Convention, and returning you to regular programming.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #135 on: July 27, 2011, 01:47:25 AM »

No country for old men.

Okay, I confess I laughed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2011, 11:13:22 PM »

Romney And Brooke Get Some Mileage Out Of The DNC 

Republican Presidential nominee George Romney speaks in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Did you get a look at the Democratic convention?  Quite something huh?  I think my name was mentioned there more than McGovern's.  (Audience laughter)

You didn't have to buy circus tickets for entertainment.  The Democrats put on an entire three ring circus complete with clowns and trapeze artists who kept missing the connecting swing.  (Audience laughter)

I haven't been this entertained since Jerry Lewis last played Detroit.  (Audience laughter)

The tax spend, tax spend, tax spend ultra liberal McGovern ready for the White House?

Not by a country mile my friends, not by a c**ntry mile.       

Republican Vice Presidential nominee Edward Brooke speaks in Portland, Oregon.

Americans can choose between the barker of a three ring circus, George McGovern, who will take this country to unprecendented high taxes and unsustainable spending, or they can choose George Romney, a proven executive, an accomplished Governor, a man with a vision for America, a leader to inspire the nation.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

Okay, I confess I laughed.

Thank you Nathan.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »

Wallace Speaks Out

We’ll use the power and prestige of the President's office to try to awaken the American people to the trends that are rampant in our country, a trend that says we must fight the Communists in Vietnam while at the same time the Communist-controlled beatnik mobs in the streets influence national affairs in Washington, D.C.

And it is a sad day in our country that you cannot walk even in your neighborhoods at night or even in the daytime because both national parties, in the last number of years, have kowtowed to every group of anarchists that have roamed the streets of San Francisco and Los Angeles and throughout the country. And now they have created themselves a Frankenstein monster, and the chickens are coming home to roost all over this country. Yes, they’ve looked down their nose at you and me a long time. They’ve called us rednecks -- the Republicans and the Democrats. Well, we’re going to show, there sure are a lot of rednecks in this country.

If any demonstrator ever lays down in front of my car, it'll be the last car he'll ever lay down in front of.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2015, 12:10:55 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Election 1968

What  had been dubbed The Battle Of The Georges turns out to be a one sided affair.

(Perhaps I should have had three running mates whose names all start with George as well)  Smiley

America resoundingly rejects the Democraic ticket, overwhelmingly elects new and promising leadership, while at the same time the south sends a strong message to DC that they are not happy with either of the established parties.

The Republicans succeed in putting across their message to the electorate:

George Romney/Edward Brooke = Competent, capable, responsible leadership, who will lead the natioin to peace abroad and peace and prosperity at home

George McGovern/Frank Church = Tax and spend liberals who would lead the nation to economic and military disaster

George Wallace/J. William Fulbright = Would lead to divisiveness and intolerance, Romney and Brooke offer unity and understanding          

George Romney/Edward Brooke             484 EV  65% PV    
George Wallace/J. William Fulbright          54 EV  20% PV
George McGovern/Frank Church                 0 EV  15% PV

And so it is that George W Romney is elected President of the United States of America with an overwhelming mandate.

George Romney becomes the second member of the Romney family to be elected President, following his father Gaskell Romney, who was elected President in 1944, serving until January 1949.

George Romney becomes the first Republican Presidential candidate in history to  win DC.

The Republican win in DC is attributed to the fact that Edward Brooke is on the ticket.

The Democratic Party is devastated in both the electoral vote and the popular vote.

The Republicans sweep to smashing victories in both the Senate and the House of Representatives, as well as in Governorships and state legislatures and state senates, on the coattails of President Elect George W Romney.

President Elect George Romney and Vice President Elect Edward Brooke know full well they have much work to do in uniting the nation, bringing about peace at home and abroad, revitalizing the economy, and gaining the confidence of the south.

They look forward to the task with confidence and enthusiasm.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »

Excerpts From The Inaugural Address of President George W Romney

(With thanks to JSM)

Despite our differences, much more unites us than divides us. We are fellow Americans, and that's an association that means more to me than any other we're going to reach out our hand to any willing patriot, make this government start working for you again, and
get this country back on the road to prosperity and peace.

To Americans everywehre, I will stand side by side with you and fight for your future.

And I've found just the right partner to help me move America forward, Vice President Edward Brooke of the great state of Massachusetts.

My fellow Americans, change is coming.  Vice President Brooke is just the one to help me in bringing about change in this nation.

I'm going to fight for Americans every day as your President. I'm going to fight to make sure every American has every reason to thank God, as I thank him, that I'm an American, a proud citizen of the greatest country on Earth.

And with hard work, strong faith, and a little courage, great things are always within our reach.

Fight with me. Fight with me.  Fight for what's right for our country. Fight for the ideals and
character of a free people.  Fight for our children's future. Fight for justice and opportunity for all.

(Romney makes a moving appeal to the nation)

Stand up to defend our country from its enemies. Stand up for each other, for beautiful, blessed, bountiful America.  Stand up, stand up, stand up, and fight. 

Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up.

We never quit.

We never hide from history. We make history.

Thank youmy fellowAmericans, and God bless you, and God bless America.

(The audience and millions across America are visibly moved to tears in the midst of their  thunderous applause as a military band plays a stirring rendition of God Bless America, with the audience, and millions across the nation, in their homes, in shopping malls, in sports arenas, in schools and universities, in places of work, on their feet, joining in the singing of this patriotic anthem)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

In terms of "tax-and-spend", the nation was still attached to the New Deal and wouldn't necessarily oppose liberalism. It would seem that the nation began moving to the right around the late sixties, but liberal wasn't a dirty word in 1968, at least to my knowledge.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2011, 10:31:07 PM by Winfield »

Now that my foray into Atlasian politics has come to an end, I hope to get back to this time line.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

Now that my foray into Atlasian politics has come to an end, I hope to get back to this time line.

And it should! Also what do you think would have happened if Mitt Romney had decided to run for Governor of Michigan?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: September 03, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 11:54:50 AM by Lincoln Republican »

And it should! Also what do you think would have happened if Mitt Romney had decided to run for Governor of Michigan?

Simfan, I refer to your recent post.  Smiley

Sorry it has taken me almost three years to reply  Smiley  but I have not checked in for almost three years.  Smiley

If Mitt Romney had run for Governor of Michigan, I believe it would depend under which circumstances he was running.  If he had been living in Michigan, working in Michigan, raising his family in Michigan, and had established the solid credentials in his education and in his business leadership for some time before running, then I believe, as is the case in Massachusetts, he would have won.

If, however, he moved from Massachusetts to Michigan for the purpose of running for Governor, he would have been labelled as an opportunist, and likely would not have won the Governorship.

What?  Mitt an opportunist?  Perish the thought.  Smiley

I have decided to continue this time line.

Keep in mind that it is an exaggerated Romney story.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:14 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 01:46:52 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The George W Romney Cabinet

President                          Governor George W Romney (MI)
Vice President                    Senator Edward Brooke (MA)
State                                Former Vice President Richard Nixon (NY)
Treasury                           Business Executive J Willard Marriott (NH)
Defense                            Governor Nelson Rockefeller (NY)
Attorney General               Former Governor William Scranton (PA)
Postmaster General            Business Executive Winton M Blount (AL)
Interior                              Senator Joseph Montoya (Democrat) NM)
Agriculture                         Senator Clifford Hansen (WY)
Commerce                         Senator George Aiken (VT)
Labor                                Professor George P Schultz (NY)
HEW                                 Senator Margaret Chase Smith (ME)
HUD                                  Attorney General of MA Elliot Richardson (MA)
Transportation                   Assistant Attorney General of AZ Sandra Day O'Connor (AZ)      
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »

President GWR:  Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to this, the first cabinet meeting  of this new era for America.

Vice President Brooke and I are absolutely delighted that you are all willing to serve.  I believe this cabinet to be one of the finest, most capable group of individuals gathered together in one place in the history of this nation.

As you know, Vice President Brooke and myself have taken our message of change and renewal across America for the past several months.  We have made promises to the American people, and we are determined to honor those promises.

Vice President Brooke would like to make a few remarks.  Mr. Vice President.

EB:  Thank you Mr. President.  It is indeed an honor for me to be sitting here today in the presence of all of you.  If you would have told me a few months ago that I would be sitting here in this capacity with each of you, I would have thought you must be out of your minds.  (laughter)  I want each of you to know that I will be doing all in my power to ensure that our policies and goals which we have set for America will come to pass.  Working together, I have no doubt we will be successful in turning this nation around, and in bringing unity to this divided nation.

GWR:  Thank you Mr. Vice President.  I very much appreciate your remarks.

As all of you know, we have set our priorities.  We absolutely must and we shall free ourselves from the quagmire we find ourselves in in Vietnam.  Until that is accomplished, this nation will not find domestic peace.  We must and we shall restore order and peace at home.  We must and we shall create an environment in this nation whereby business and commerce can prosper.  We must and we shall ensure that where government help is required, government help is provided, for those who need it.  We must and we shall ensure that all Americans have affordable and effective health care.  We must and we shall ensure that we have a social safety net in this nation through which no one will fall.  We must and we shall ensure that taxes are not so high that they make it impossible or difficult for our people to make ends meet.  We must and we shall ensure that our children have an education system second to none, that will prepare them for the future.  We must and we shall ensure that our universities and other institutes of higher learning, trade schools, etc., are not out of reach for those who wish to attend.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have our work cut out for us, but that is why we entered public life, to serve the people of America.  We know our responsibilities and our duties.  Let us proceed and act upon them.

My door is always open.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #147 on: September 04, 2015, 01:37:29 PM »

I'm soooo happy to see this masterpiece ressurected!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: September 04, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »

I'm soooo happy to see this masterpiece ressurected!

I just knew  you would be.  Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #149 on: September 04, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2015, 04:39:17 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The Oval Office

President Romney meets with Vice President Brooke, Secretary of State Nixon, Secretary of Defense Rockefeller, Chief of Staff Clifford Case, and the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

GR:  Gentlemen, as you know, the single most important and most divisive issue facing America today is Vietnam.  My administration is committed to resolving this issue.  Far too many Americans, as well as innocent Vietnamese, have paid the ultimate price in this conflict.  And to you Joint Chiefs, I pose the question, for what?  We are no further ahead in Vietnam now than we were years ago.  If anything, we are falling behind.  I will not oversee the continued slaughter of our soldiers in an unwinnable war in the jungles of Vietnam.

Joint Chiefs, give me your assessment of the situation.

Chief:  Mr. President, as you know, the previous administration has had a policy of escalating the conflict, and that is what has been done.  

GR:  And your view of that?

Chief:  I agree with your assessment Mr. President.  We simply cannot keep pouring more and more troops into Vietnam.  It simply will not work.

GR:  I am pleased to see you agree.  For every North Vietnamese soldier killed, they have plenty of replacements.  At some point, sooner or later, we simply will not be able to hold them off any further.  The North will over run  the south, that is clear.  You have been dealing with this issue first hand for years now, so you must have a withdrawal strategy.  Get back to us in two days.

Chief:  Yes, Mr. President.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies