America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:04:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty  (Read 39766 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »

Any timeline with the Romney family being successful is an excellent timeline.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:42 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 11:49:00 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The June 1964 National Governors' Conference, Governor George Romney of Michigan meets privately with other moderate Republican Governors, Nelson Rockefeller of New York, James Rhodes of Ohio, and William Scranton of Pennsylvania.  

Romney:  I believe that Goldwater as the nominee would be a drag on Republicans running in all the other races this year.  I also disagree strongly, as I'm sure we all do, with Goldwater's views on civil rights.  Whites and blacks, in my opinion, have got to learn to know each other. Barry Goldwater doesn't have any background to understand this, to fathom them, and I can't get through to him.  Thirteen of us sixteen Republican governors are opposed to Goldwater.

Rockefeller:  George, I think that we should hold a press conference expressing our concerns.  

Rhodes:  Excellent idea.

Scranton:  George, you be the spokesman.

Romney:  Thank you.  I accept.  Bill, Nelson, Jim and myself are all out of the race.  I pledged to the people of Michigan that I would run for reelection as Governor in 1964.  Nelson, Jim and I, as well as twelve other Republican Governors will back you for the nomination to try to stop Goldwater.  You will carry the flag for moderate Republicans.

Scranton:  Yes, I've been thinking about it.  It's a bit late in the game, but I will be proud to run and represent the sensible wing of the party.

Romney, Rockefeller, Rhodes:  Thanks Bill.  And now on to San Francisco.            

Romney at the press conference, backed by Rockefeller, Rhodes and Scranton:

If Goldwater's views deviate as indicated from the heritage of our party, we will do everything within our power to keep him from becoming the party's presidential nominee.

July 13-16, 1964, the Republican National Convention at the Cow Palace, San Francisco.

Governor Nelson Rockefeller addresses the convention and is roundly booed by most of the convention delegates, but he presses on.

This is still a free country, ladies and gentlemen.  Americans will not and should not respond to a political creed that cherishes the past solely because it offers an excuse for shutting out the hard facts and difficult tasks of the present.    

Governor George Romney addresses the convention and is likewise booed by most of the delegates.

Ladies and gentlemen, your treatment of Governor Rockefeller was unfair and uncalled for.  And like he said, this is still a free country.  It is a sad day when the Republican National Convention fights against freedom of speech.

I am here today to fight for a strengthened civil rights plank in the party platform, a policy that would pledge action to eliminate discrimination at the state, local, and private levels.  I am as well here to fight for a plank in the platform for that condemns both left and right-wing extremism.  These proposals are backed by thirteen of the sixteen Republican Governors, as well as by President Dwight Eisenhower, who I spoke with just this morning, at which time he gave his total support.

The convention ends with the nomination of Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona for President and the equally conservative Representative William Miller of New York for Vice President on the first ballot.

The planks in the platform proposed by Governor Romney are voted down by voice vote.

Governor Romney leaves the convention neither endorsing nor opposing Goldwater and Miller, and honors his pledge to the people of Michigan not to run for President in 1964.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2011, 11:24:45 PM »

Reelection as Governor

The 1964 Presidential election goes as expected by Governor Romney.  Democrats President Lyndon Johnson and Vice Presidential nominee Senator Hubert Humphrey defeat Goldwater and Miller in a landslide victory.

As Romney had stated months before, the Goldwater debacle brought down many Republicans at all levels in the elections.  Romney does not appear with Goldwater when he makes a campaign appearance in Detroit. 

Reporter to Governor Romney after Goldwater's stop in Detroit:  Governor, are you  supporting Senator Goldwater in the Presidential election?  You were not at his campaign swing through Detroit.

Romney, replying sharply:  No, I am not.     

Romney himself, however, defeats his opponent in the 1964 race for Governor, Democratic Congressman Neil Staebler, by a margin of more than 380,000 votes.  Remarkably, in this bad year for Republicans, Romney brings with him a Republican majority to the state Senate and the state House of Representatives.  This is considered to be an incredible achievement in this disastrous year for Republicans.  Johnson crushes Goldwater in Michigan, but Romney brings in a Republican majority to the state Senate and House on his coat tails.

Romney makes national headlines for this political achievement. 

Romney sets right to work in his second term as Governor, and by the end of this term, he had succeeded in producing a budget surplus, cut unemployment to its' lowest level in the history of the state, reformed the state education system making it the envy of the nation, and a model copied by other states, made health care efficient and affordable for all in the state, and reduced the crime rate in the state, even in the city of Detroit, to its' lowest level ever, making the state one of the safest states in the nation.

Against the background of his highly successful two terms as Governor, Romney is about to embark on an historic and monumental undertaking.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »

C'mon man, you gotta have some butterflies! I'd think that with the presence of a political dynasty such as the Romneys, given how much power they've had since the twenties, there'd be a much more viable and strong moderate wing that could at some point change something, like say Dewey winning in 1948 or Eisenhower picking someone else, or Nixon choosing Rockefeller for VP in 1960, or Rocky or Scranton winning the nomination or Goldwater choosing a more moderate VP pick.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

I agree. It's simply impossible to not have butterflies over a course of so many years.

It's totally impausible to change individual careers without changing the course of history.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »

To clarify with reference to the artist George Romney, his uncle, Thomas Romney, (1709-1776), was a great grandfather of Miles Romney, (1806-1877).  Miles Romney was a great great grandfather of Mitt Romney. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Romney_(painter)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2011, 09:58:14 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2011, 09:59:57 PM by Honest Abe »

With reference to George Romney the artist, my information is from the following article on the Pratt-Romney family, wherein it gives the relationship of George Romney the artist to Miles Romney, and by extension to Miles Park Romney, and Gaskell Romney, George W Romney's and Mitt Romney's direct ancestors.

So there is a definite relationship, though distant, between George Romney the artist and Mitt Rommey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt%E2%80%93Romney_family

A quote from the Pratt-Romney family article:

George Romney
(1734-1802) Born in Dalton-in-Furness, co, Lancaster on December 13, 1734. Son of John Romney and Ann Simpson.
British art's genius, one of the leading artists and noted portrait painter in Great Britain during the last quarter of the 18th century.
George Romney's uncle Thomas Romney (1709-1776) was a great-grandfather of Miles Romney.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2011, 01:45:51 PM »

So wikipedia provides two contradicting versions. Fail.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »

I do agree with the two of you that, yes, with the Romneys in positions of such influence and power in the nation for so many years, and with their influence in the Republican Party over all that time, there would definitely be "butterflies" as you say, on the American political landscape.

I have, however, been concentrating on the tremendous, though certainly fictitious,  achievements, of the Romney dynasty in this timeline, without delving into too many political changes in real history, more for the sake of simplicity than anything else.

But the "butterflies" observation from the two of you are certainly accurate and appreciated.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »

So wikipedia provides two contradicting versions. Fail.

True, however, I would tend to go with the "Pratt-Romney Family" article, as it is based on actual genealogy of the family, and is, I am sure, factually supported by genealogy records.

But a good pick up on your part from the George Rommey the artist article.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »

Following his big win for reelection as Governor in 1964, and the crushing defeat of Republican Barry Goldwater by Democrat Lyndon Johnson in the Presidential election, and Romney's solid performance as Michigan's Chief Executive, Romney was being increasingly mentioned as the Republicans best hope for 1968.  Romney himself was seriously considering a Presidential run in 1968.

By far the major foreign policy issue of the day was the Vietnam War, and Romney made the crucial decision that he must go to Vietnam, familiarize himself with the situation first hand on the ground, and develop a coherent and effective strategy to deal with the situation that the United States of America now found itself in.

Romney reasoned that his effective performance as a government Chief Executive of a major industrial state, combined with a solid and sensible strategy for a resolution in Vietnam, was his ticket to the White House.

Romney receives briefings on the Vietnam situation from former U.S. Ambassador to Saigon Henry Cabot Lodge, General William Westmoreland, and State Department official Jonathan Moore.

In July, 1965, Governor George Romney, along with nine other U.S. Governors, make the trip to Vietnam to see the situation on the ground first hand.  Given his high profile, and the fact he is considered to be the front runner for the Republican Presidential nomination for 1968, Romney becomes by default the leader of the delegation.

Romney wastes no time once arriving in Vietnam.  He sets right to work, meeting with  U.S. embasy officials, including the ambassador, with military commanders both from the U.S. and South Vietnam, and, who he knows to be the most important, with American soldiers.

Romney and the other Governors receive briefings from the diplomatic officials and military leaders.

Upon his return to the U.S., having had a chance to assess the situation, and after having received countless briefings, Romney comes to a definitive decision on the course of action that he believes America must pursue in Vietnam.

The Governors' office announces that Romney will be making a major address about Vietnam at the annual meeting of the American Chamber of Commerce in Washington DC the following week. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 12:02:20 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Governor Romney arrives in Washington DC on Tuesday, September 14, 1965.  He is met by Senate Minority Leader Everett Dirksen of Illinois, House Minority Leader Gerald Ford of Michigan, and by 19 Republican Senators, including Senators Thruston Morton of Kentucky, Margaret Chase Smith of Maine, Robert Griffin of Michigan, Jacob Javits of New York, Hugh Scott of Pennsylvania, Wallace Bennett of Utah, George Aiken of Vermont, and by 74 Republican members of the House of Representatives.

Romney meets jointly with the Republican Senate and House caucuses, discussing his Vietnam trip and his findings, and other issues facing the nation.  He pays courtesy calls on the Democratic Congressional leadership, Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, Majority Whip Russell Long, House Speaker John  McCormack, House Majority Leader Carl Albert, and House Majority Whip Hale Boggs.

The next morning, Romney arrives at the convention center for his address to the United States Chamber of Commerce annual convention.  As he is considered to be a major candidate for President in 1968, the event is covered nationally by all the major news outlets and by the national networks.  The event is filled to capacity with standing room only.  

Romney is introduced to the audience by the President of the United States chamber of Commerce.  Romney receives a standing ovation from the audience.  They have great respect for his business acumen and accomplishments and for his record as Governor of Michigan.

Romney addresses the convention.

Members of the United States Chamber of Commerce, my fellow Americans, thank you for this invitation to address your esteemed organization, an organization which has served America well.

As you know, I and some of my fellow Governors have recently returned from a fact finding tour in Vietnam.  You will know I am not exaggerating when I say America's involvement in the Vietnam conflict is the most serious and overriding foreign affairs issue facing the nation today.

We have been too often disappointed by the optimism of the American leaders, both in Vietnam and Washington, to have faith any longer in the silver linings they find in the darkest clouds.  To say that we are closer to victory today is to believe, in the face of the evidence, the optimists who have been wrong in the past. To suggest we are on the edge of defeat is to yield to unreasonable pessimism. To say that we are mired in stalemate seems the only realistic, yet unsatisfactory, conclusion.

As President, I will begin immediate negotiations to end this conflict, and to bring our troops home.  The political and military leadership of this nation would have you believe that if we escalate the number of troops we send into conflict, that we will contain the enemy and defeat them.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  How many more thousands of our young men must die in the jungles of Vietnam in order to satisfy the unbridled ambitions of the military-industrial complex and the ego of an incompetent President who naively believes that America can restore stability to southeast Asia by pouring in hundreds of thousands more troops, and in order to assuage the vanity of a President who does not want to go down in history as the first President to lose a war.  This President sends these young men into battle, yet he fails to supply them with the proper tools to do the job.  This, my friends, is a recipe for disaster.

Mark my words, public support in America for ths conflict will decline markedly.  I predict that by mid 1967 we will start to see support for this conflict fall into minority numbers, and going further and further down from there, until just a small percentage of Americans will be willing to support this foreign adventure.

America deserves a President who levels with the public and who is not afraid to deal with the cold hard truth, not one who hides the facts from the American people.

My friends, my fellow Americans, thank you, and God bless America.

Romney receives a cheering standing ovation from most in the audience.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05:48 PM »

Romney returns to Lansing the following day and resumes his duties as Governor. 

Secretary:  Governor, Dr. Martin Luther King is on the line for you from Montgomery.

Romney:  Put him through.

Romney:  Martin, how nice to hear from you.  I trust all is well, as well as could be expected under these trying circumstances.

King:  Thank you George.  The reason for my call, I am planning a civil rights speech and march for Detroit two weeks from now.  Will the state be able to provide the security for this event?

Romney:  Martin, I will make sure all the necessary arrangements are made.

King:  George, would you do us the honor of speaking at the event?

Romney:  Martin, I will not only be honored to speak at the event, but I absolutely insist that Lenore and I march with you and Coretta at the front of the march.  I will always remember how proud I was to march at the front of a civil rights march in Detroit back in March in solidarity with your very brave march from Selma to Montgomery at the time.

King:  George, that would make Coretta and I very happy.  Thank you.

Romney:  So, we'll see you in a couple of weeks.

King:  You bet.  Coretta and I are looking forward to seeing you and Lenore again.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2011, 08:21:30 PM by Honest Abe »

The March For Freedom

Martin Luther King Jr. and his wife Coretta arrive in Detroit, are met at the airport by Governor George Romney and his wife Lenore.

GWR:  Dr. King, on behalf of the people of Michigan, let me welcome you to Detroit.  It is an honor to have you here today.

MLK:  Thank you Governor Romney.  It is great to be here.

After a few questions from the press, the Romneys and the Kings leave for the hotel where the Kings will stay.

With only the four of them in the hotel suite, Romney to King:

GWR:  Martin, you know, sometimes I feel as if I have been able to see the full potential of this nation, and as do you, a nation at peace, a nation that has compassion for the less fortunate, a nation free of hatred and free of discrimination, a nation that can hold its' head high, a nation that can truly say, this is a land blessed by God.

MLK:  George, you and I see eye to eye on the course this nation should take.  My hope and prayer is that some day all America will someday come to this same realization.  

GWR:  Martin, that would be a glorious day indeed.  Now let's get on to the march for freedom.    

At the front of the march, arm in arm, from left to right, Lenore Romney, Governor George Romney, Martin Luther King Jr., Coretta Scott King, followed by thousands, both black and white.  

The Romneys and Kings step up to the stage to enthusiastic cheering and clapping.

GWR:  My friends, my fellow Americans, my fellow lovers of freedom, thank you for turning out in such large numbers today.  What a wonderful march for freedom.  The sun shines bright today, but no less bright is the faith and hope that shines in our hearts this day, as we march for what is right and just, full equality for all of God's children.

On the stage with us today are two very special people, two people who Lenore and I are honored to call our friends, Coretta and Martin Luther King Jr.  

My friends, it is my distinct honor to introduce to you today a man who needs no introduction, a man who has spent a lifetime fighting for freedom and justice, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

More enthusiastic cheering and clapping.

MLK:  Thank you Governor Romney for that most gracious introduction.  Let me say that Coretta and I are as well honored to call you and Lenore our friends.

What a wonderful sight.  So many thousands of you who have turned out on this beautiful sunlit day to show your support for the cause of freedom and justice.

I came to Detroit to spread our message of freedom. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't really matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know today, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. So I'm happy, today. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord. (MLK speech modified)

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2011, 09:23:59 PM »

1966 to 1968

Governor Romney meets with the press at the state capitol in Lansing.

Press:  Governor, you are mentioned repeatedly in the press as a potential candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination for 1968.  That being the case, could you please explain why you are running for another term as Governor.

GWR:  Indeed.  I have unfinished business here in Michigan and I owe it to the people of this state to complete that business before moving onto other responsibilities and commitments.  I want to ensure that Michigan continues to be on a firm financial footing with a balanced budget, that we have the proper conditions that will ensure a productive and well balanced civil service in this state, that we continue to emphasize the importance of an effective education system that is second to none in this nation, that we continue to make advances in the civil rights field in this state.  These are some of the issues I will be dedicating my time to.

Press:  Governor, you have made a statement about moving onto other responsibilities and commitments.  Is that a declaration of your candidacy for President of the United States?

GWR:  I will have a statement in that matter soon enough.  Ladies and gentlemen, thank you and good day.

The 1966 Gubernatorial election, incumbent Governor Romney faces Democrat Zolton Ferency, a brilliant lawyer, and a Professor of Criminal Justice at Michigan State University.

Governor Romney wins reelection by a margin of over 750,000 votes, capturing 40% of the black vote, unheard of for a Republican.

Governor Romney and Senator Robert Griffin share the stage at the victory celebration.

Governor Romney:  My friends, what a great night.  Thank you to the people of Michigan for this great victory.  Thank you for your confidence in electing me to a third term as your Governor.  I am humbled by your support.  Bob, I knew I made the right pick when I appointed you as Senator this past May. 

Senator Robert Griffin has defeated former Michigan Governor Soapy Williams by some 12 points to win a full term.

Senator Griffin:  Thank you Governor Romney.  Thank you my fellow Michiganders for this great victory.  I shall be fighting hard for you and for America in the Senate.

With his big victory in 1966, Romney and his supporters believe the stage is now set for the big showdown in 1968.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2011, 11:57:52 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2011, 12:00:46 AM by Honest Abe »

A Meeting With Friends

By May of 1967, Governor Romney sees his non discriminatory, quality, low cost housing legislation become a reality.  This now makes it possible for low income people in Michigan to own their own homes.  It as well provides low cost subsidized rental units to many more thousands.

With the successful passage of this legislation, which the Governor has been fighting for for two years, and which is called the Governor George  Romney Fair Housing Act, George Romney sets his sights on a higher office, the Presidency of the United States.

Romney meets with his trusted advisors and friends, J. Willard Marriott of the hotel chain, Max Fisher, a supporter of long standing, and Clifford Folger, a Washington banker.

GWR:  Gentlemen, I believe I can make a worthwhile contribution to our nation, and consequently, I have decided to run for President.  I would like to know you are behind me.

Marriott:  You can certainly count on me George.

Fisher:  Count me in.

Folger:  That goes for me as well, no question.

Fisher:  I believe the three of us could self finance your campaign.

(Laughs all around)

GWR:  True, however, I want some of my campaign financed by the grass roots, the average American.  That is who I will be fighting for in this campaign.

GWR:  Nelson has already told me he wants me to run.  He already gave it his best shot in '60 and '64.  And he's willing to turn over his campaign team to me.  I'll talk with Nelson and his team, and then decide if we're a good fit for one another.  There is one member of his team though that I definitely want on board, one of the most highly qualified foreign affairs and geo political experts in the country, Henry Kissinger.  Henry is one of the smartest people I have ever met, and I think without exaggerating that he is probably one of the smartest people in the country.

I also want to make sure that I will have Bill Scranton and Jim Rhodes on board.  Senator Jake Javitz and Governor John Chafee have already told me they are solidly in my corner.

I have been building up a solid base for months now, and I am pleased to see how it is coming together.

Excuse me while I take this call.

Yes?  Put him through.  Thanks Marjorie.

Everett, how nice to hear from you.  Things going well?

Dirksen:  Indeed.  George, I have thought about our conversation of last week, and I would like to let you know that I have decided to support you.  I believe you are the right man for the job at this time in the nation's history.

GWR:  Thank you so much.  That means so very much to me.  Yes, take care.  Talk to you soon.

That was Senator Dirksen on the line.  He is supporting me for President.  With Ford, and now with Dirksen, I believe that could help with other members of the Senate and House.

Marriott:  That is good news George.  

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2011, 09:40:19 PM by Honest Abe »

The Presidential Announcement

(modified Romney speech)

November 18, 1967
Veteran's Memorial Building, Detroit

Thank you for coming here today.

Let me say first off that my wife Lenore is my greatest earthly inspiration.  Without her total support, I would not be embarking on this campaign.    

One who aspires to the Presidency should be confident he can be useful and capable of providing the needed leadership.  

I decided to fight for and win the Republican nomination and election as President of the United States.  I have made my decision with a great earnestness.  

I am concerned about America.

The size and complexity of our national problems have bred a widespread sense of personal futility.  

We have begun to see acceptance of irresponsibility as a way of life.  There is growing aimlessness and flabbiness in our American society.  

The evidence is everywhere.  

Too frequently family responsibilities are pre-empted by government and weakened by obsolete welfare policies that cripple each new generation of the poor.  

The crime rate mounts and over half the major crimes are committed by teenagers.  To avoid a society that seems to offer no cause worth serving, too many turn to drugs or alcoholism or other means of “escape.”

Too often, young people bursting with idealism, either find themselves playing a game for which they have little heart or hurling themselves into wasteful protest against the so-called “establishment.”

Men and women in the slums, bitter over unfulfilled promises, listen to revolutionaries who would plunge us into civil guerilla warfare.  We are becoming “a house divided.”

In this apathetic period, work is now seldom looked on as joy, and excellence of product or service is now seldom an objective.  

Our magnificent economy, which offers an impoverished and hungry world the only model that can head off greater deprivation and unprecedented famine, is being systematically jammed by inflation.  

The richest nation in the world is in a fiscal mess.  

As we have drifted away from principle at home, we have undermined the foundation of our position in the world.  Once a beacon of hope for people everywhere, America is now widely regarded as belligerent and domineering.  

We are mired in an Asian land war which sacrifices are young men and drains our resources, with no end in sight.  Time and again we have been taken toward the mountaintop of hope only to fall back into the crevices of sickening reality.  False optimism and lack of candor on the part of our leaders have confused our citizens and sapped their resolve.  

Our foreign policy has no clear positive purpose.  NATO and the United Nations are in disarray, subversion threatens Latin America, and the have-not nations are losing ground.  

But, I’m confident that the American people can reverse this trend.  We have the creative energy and the basic principles to build a new America.  

The process begins at home.  

Our country’s unique political institutions have released and stimulated the best in more people than any other nation in history.  We won’t again fulfill our destiny until we can trust the individual and what he can and should do, and the spirit God shared with men.  

We must recognize that the root source of America’s strength is the divinely endowed freedom of its people;

That personal responsibility and family responsibilities are essential in a free society;

That it is through voluntary cooperation of responsible individuals that Americans have made life more agreeable and rewarding.  

In all our communities we must–as I find poor people beginning to do in the ghettos–design a new fabric of voluntary independent agencies through which people help each other.

We must practice our fundamental principles of mutual self-respect and brotherhood with every citizen enjoying full and equal citizenship.

We must restore respect for law and its enforcement. In order of priority, it is more important to make our streets safe than to put a man on the moon.

We must restore the competitive principle, under which labor and business cooperate to serve the consumer first.

Workers must personally participate in progress to enjoy their work and take pride its product.

We must make private contribution, not concentrated power, the yardstick of reward.

We must reestablish control over Federal spending and end perpetual deficits.

In the 50 states of our union, we must again claim not state rights but state responsibilities.

We can, we must, solve the problems on which the Federal bureaucracy has so obviously failed. Our national government must lead in identifying national problems, establishing priorities, and encouraging maximum state, local, and private effort in their solution. To succeed we must decentralize problem-solving responsibility and action.

If we do those things at home, we will have taken the first giant step for re-establishing the influence of the United States in the World.

To apply these principles, to achieve these goals, to build a new America, we must have a Republican President.

The Republican Party has the faith in the individual, and voluntary cooperation, private competitive enterprise, free collective bargaining, and state and local government needed to apply these principles at home. A Republican President can work for a just peace in Vietnam unshackled by mistakes of the past. A Republican President can restore truth to government and regain the confidence of the people.

We need leadership that can elevate religion and morality to their position of paramount importance and thus eliminating growing selfishness, and immorality, and materialism. We must end the spirit of “anything goes,” and restore the importance and quality of our personal lives.

The present President, who is experienced only in the tools of government, will continue, no matter what his intentions, to build greater and greater governmental control over our lives.

To decentralize our attack on problem-solving and to energize the great talents and character of the American people will require broader experience. I have had such experience. I worked in the fields, in construction, in independent and voluntary national and local agencies during war and peace, in international trade and labor conferences, in two of the nation’s largest corporations operating in three major industries, and in state and federal governments.

A New American requires leadership which, by word and deed, merits the confidence of the people and is worthy of God’s blessing.

Because I believe that, working together, we can build a New America, I will work toward this goal with all my heart, mind, and new spirit. I pledge energy and honesty to the task.

My fellow Americans, I ask for your support to this end.

God bless you, and God bless America.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2011, 10:02:21 PM »

Good work. I'm interested to see who'll be in Romney's cabinet & who he'll pick for Vice-Presudent.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2011, 11:53:34 PM »

The Early Stages

Following Romney's Presidential campaign speech, polling numbers show Romney favored by Republicans for the nomination 39% to 31% for former Vice President Richard Nixon, considered to be the other main contender for the nomination.

Further, polling shows Romney leading President Johnson among all voters by a margin of 54% to 46%.

The Romney campaign for President is off to to a good start.

The Romney Nixon contest draws almost all of the media attention on the Republican side.  Other Republicans seeking the nomination, perennial candidate Harold Stassen, former Governor of Minnesota, and Massachusetts Governor John Volpe struggle for attention, and are not considered to be serious contenders.  California Governor Ronald Reagan gets plenty of attention, however, most believe he needs more time in political office before running for President.

Nixon:  Romney has no experience on the world stage.  America needs a President who understands America's role in the world.

The press asks Romney about Nixon's comments:  Governor, Mr. Nixon says you lack experience on the world stage.  Any comment?

Romney:  Well, it seems to me that FDR was in the same situation in 1932.

Laughs from the press and others in the room.

One week before the New Hampshire primary, Romney gets an unexpected campaign boost.  In one of his last public appearances, former President Dwight Eisenhower makes a statement:  I believe George Romney has the qualities, experience, and abilities to be a great President.  America needs new leadership, and Romney can provide it.

While leaving the room, a member of the audience asks Eisenhower if he thought Richard Nixon had been a good Vice President for him.  Eisenhower replies "Dick had a lot of qualities, but I should have dropped him from the ticket in '56 when I had the chance."

Neither Eisenhower nor the audience member were aware that there was a reporter standing nearby who picked up the Eisenhower remark on a live recorder.  The tape made the rounds of the national networks that evening.

The Nixon camp was devasted and in complete disarray following these two bombshells.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2011, 06:49:20 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2011, 09:26:17 PM by Honest Abe »

The Far Reaching Implications Of New Hampshire

March 12, 1968, on a campaign of economic renewal at home, full equality and civil rights, peace abroad, and bringing U.S. troops home from Vietnam, Governor George Romney scores a smashing win in the New Hampshire Republican primary, defeating former Vice President Richard Nixon.

The numbers are astounding, Romney 62%, Nixon 27%, Reagan 8%, Volpe 2%, Stassen 1%.

This is an overwhelming victory for Romney, putting into serious jeopardy the planned political comeback of Richard Nixon.

The strong campaign by Romney has reverberating repercussions for the Democrats as well.  Well before New Hampshire, there begins to be talk in Democratic circles that Romney is quickly becoming the peace candidate, with the Vietnam conflict raging that is becoming inceasingly unpopular in America.  The Democrats have to do something to reclaim the peace issue.

As a result of the Romney success, it would seem that Democrats turn in droves to anti war candidate Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy in the New Hampshire primary, where McCarthy almost defeats the incumbent President in the primary, capturing 42% of the vote compared to 49% for Johnson.  Johnson knows it would only be downhill from here for him.

This directly results in the withdrawal from the race by President Johnson on March 31, 1968, when he announces to the nation in a television address, after a long speech:

Accordingly, ah shall not seek, and ah will not accept, the nomination of mah party for another term as yer President.

After the speech, Johnson, looking dejected and beaten, confides to his close advisors:

Ah blame Romney for this whole thing, for mah downfall.  He more than anyone else in this country has turned Americans against mah Vietnam policies.

Romney had given ascendancy to the McCarthy candidacy, had thwarted the ambitions of an incumbent President, and had imperiled the comeback of a former Vice President.

Though scoring a stunning and massive victory in New Hampshire, Romney knows there is much work that lies ahead, many words that must be spoken, millions of Americans  that must be reached, in his quest for the Oval Office.    

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2011, 11:06:37 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2011, 11:19:38 PM by Honest Abe »

Some Campaign Events

Seeing the success that Senator Eugene McCarthy has achieved in New Hampshire, Senator Robert Kennedy of New York decides to enter the race for the Democratic nomination.

Upon hearing this, George Romney tells some friends:

Bobby waits for McCarthy to take on the incumbent President, sees he has success, then he decides to enter the race himself.  Now that takes guts.

Laughs all around.

After New Hampshire, Volpe withdraws from the Republican race, and throws his support behind Romney.  Stassen stays in the contest, but is seen to be more of a nuisance than a candidate by this time.

Nixon and Reagan stay in the race.  

Nixon at a press conference:  I shall take my message of experience and peace with honor across America.  The Silent Majority of this nation will rise up and support me for President.

New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller appears on Meet The Press on NBC.

NBC:  Governor Rockefeller, you are supporting George Romney for President.  What lies behind your decision to support Governor Romney?

NR:  Yes, I am supporting Governor Romney for President, and am proud to do so.  Governor Romney has demonstrated executive leadership in both the private and public sectors, excelling in both.  In short, he has the qualities necessary to serve as President.

NBC:  Did you consider running yourself this year for President?

NR:  I ran in '60 and '64, without success.  I thought about running, but decided I had my opportunities.  I also decided that Romney was the best one for the job.

NBC:  Richard Nixon has stated that the Silent Majority, as he calls them, will rise up and elect him President.  What do you make of that statement?

NR:  Well, the last time Nixon was elected to anything was 1956, and that was because he was swept into office because of Eisenhower's incredible popularity.  He was rejected in '60 in the nation and in '62 in California.  So if anything, I rather suspect the Silent Majority, to use his term, would remain silent for any purposes related to Nixon's quest for a comeback.
(smiles broadly)

NBC:  Governor, thank you for being here this evening.

NR:  My pleasure.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2011, 10:55:40 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2011, 10:15:43 PM by Honest Abe »

A Key Endorsement And A Defiant Fighter

Shortly after New Hampshire, Romney scores two more stunning primary wins, Wisconsin on April 2, Pennsylvania on April 23.  Romney had the solid backing of Governor Warren Knowles in Wisconsin and former Governor William Scranton and current Governor Raymond Shafer in Pennsylvania.

Wisconsin, Romney 56%, Nixon 23%, Reagan 20%, Stassen 1%

Pennsylvania, Romney 64%, Reagan 19%, Nixon 16%, Stassen 1%

This is NBC News for April 23, 1968.

Following a massive rejection in the Wisconsin primary on April 2, former Vice President Richard Nixon was dealt an even more devastating blow tonight in the Pennsylvania primary.  Governor George Romney swept to substantial and impressive victories in both primaries, but it was in Pennsylvania where the Nixon campaign appears to have come off the rails.  In Pennsylvania, Romney finished with a remarkable 64%, with California Governor Ronald Reagan actually placing second ahead of Nixon.  Reagan received 19% compared to just 16% for Nixon.

Nixon has announced in spite of the early setbacks in the primary season so far, that he will continue the fight.

This is NBC News for April 24, 1968.

Following huge victories for George Romney over Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan in the New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania primaries, pressure is mounting on both Nixon and Reagan to withdraw from the race and back front runner Romney for the nomination, in order to ensure a united Republican Party going into the Presidential election.  Republicans from all levels, grassroots, state legislators, members of the House of Representatives, United States Senators, are taking a very public approach, and urge the party to now unite behind Romney.

This is NBC News for April 25, 1968.

NBC News has just learned that California Governor Ronald Reagan will be withdrawing from the Republican race and will be endorsing George Romney for the nomination.  We now take you live to Sacramento where Governor Reagan is about to make a public statement.

I have decided to withdraw as a candidate for the Republican Presidential nomination.  It is clear to me that Governor George Romney is the overwhelming choice of the party for the nomination.  I wish to see the party united and strong going into the Presidential campaign, and backing Governor Romney is the only way to achieve this.  I have seen how Governor Romney has handled leadership, both in the private and public sectors, and I have no doubt whatsoever that George Romney will make a great President.  I have contacted Governor Romney earlier today, and have advised him of my decision.  Governor Romney has expressed to me his heartfelt gratitude.

Well, there you have it, Governor Reagan withdrawing from the race and throwing his considerable support to Governor Romney.  Reagan is seen as a rising star in the Republican party, and his endorsement no doubt carries with it considerable influence among the more conservative wing of the party.

We now take you live to Boston, where Governor Romney has been campaigning for the upcoming primary in Massachusetts.  Governor George Romney.

As you have just heard, Governor Reagan has withdrawn from the Republican race and has decided to support me for the nomination.  I have expressed my sincere and heartfelt thank you to Governor Romney earlier by phone today.  Now, I wish to express it publily.  Governor Reagan, thank you so much for your generous support.  Let us go forth from this time, united as a party, and earn the support of America.  Thank you my fellow Americans.

You have just been watching Governor George Romney graciously accepting the support of California Governor Ronald Reagan, and expressing his hope for a united Republican Party going into the Pesidential campaign this fall.

This just in, a statement from the Nixon campaign, which I will read verbatim.

Richard Nixon continues his campaign for the Republican nomination.  Vice President Nixon offers America the experience necessary to lead the natiion in the turbulent times ahead.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »

When I first read the thread's title, I thought the Romneys were going to rule the United States as a monarchy or something like that. Great timeline, I love seeing so many members of the Romney family having successful political careers.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:10 PM »

When I first read the thread's title, I thought the Romneys were going to rule the United States as a monarchy or something like that. Great timeline, I love seeing so many members of the Romney family having successful political careers.

Thank you for following my timeline.  It is meant to be an exaggerated account of a fictional Romney poltical dynasty.  My hope is that those who read it enjoy it and get a laugh or two from it. 

I must say, I am impressed with your very favorable comments about the Romney family.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2015, 12:34:08 AM by Lincoln Republican »

A Sweep For Romney, Eisenhower Speaks Out, Nixon Devastated

The remainder of the primary season proves to be an unprecedented success for George Romney.

April 30, Massachusetts
May7, Indiana, Ohio, Washington DC
May 14, Nebraska, West Virginia
May 28, Florida, Oegon
June 4, California, New Jersey, South Dakota
June 11, Illinois

Romney sweeps each of these primaries with impressive margins of victory.

Following the last primary, former President Dwight Eisenhower speaks out for the first time about the Republican nomination, in one of his last public appearances.

Eisenhower:

I have watched this primary season with interest.  I have seen how Governor Romney has taken his case to the people in each and every primary election.  He has spoken honestly and with courage, and has not shied away from tough issues.  I have seen how he has conducted himself both in the private and public sectors.  He is the man with the ability to lead this nation during what I have no doubt will be tough and turbulent times.  I am therefore proud to endorse George Romney for President of the United States.

Following Eisenhower's remarks, while mingling with the audience, he is asked by someone if he believed Richard Nixon had been a good Vice President.  

Eisenhower replies:

Dick has many good qualities, but I should have dropped him from the ticket in '56 when I had the chance.

This short conversation is overheard by another audience member, who reports it to a journalist.  The journalist asks Eisenhower if he has any comment on this statement.

Eisenhower replies:

I have no comment.

This story about this very brief conversation makes its' way to the evening news casts.  

The Nixon camp is devastated by the Romney sweep of the primaries, and is absolutely crushed by the Eisenhower statement.  How could Eisenhower, whom Nixon had served so loyally and faithfully over eight years endorse Romney?  And how could Eisenhower tell someone that he should have dropped Nixon from the ticket in '56?  This was the question running through the Nixon campaign.    

After Romney sweeps to victory in each of the remaining primary states, increasingly, non primary delegates are moving to Romney over the course of the primary season, seeing the tremendous success Romney has achieved amongst the Republican grass roots.  By June 11, Romney has sewn up the Republican nomination for President of the United States.

But it was not Eisenhower who doomed the Nixon candidacy.  It was the dynamic and straight forward Romney campaign, and the perception in the nation that Nixon had a dark side to him that would surface further should he become President.  

Romney now begins concentrating his efforts toward the Republican National Convention in Miami Beach, Florida which will be held August 5-8, and on his first and most important decision as the presumptive nominee, that of the selection of the right running mate, the Vice Presidential candidate.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies