America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:39:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty  (Read 39754 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:26:02 PM »

WARNING!!!!

This thread is completely shameless.  It is not for the faint of heart.  Smiley

Exaggeration and embellishment will be employed from time to time, nay, almost all the time.

My main hope is that all who read it will enjoy it, maybe get a laugh or two. 

Your comments, pro, con, neutral, are always welcome.

Thank you, and I trust all who enter herein will find delight in the diversion. 
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:48:50 PM »

Can't wait to see it... Tongue
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »

Oh dear God...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »

Hey! I already had plans for a Romney in '68 Timeline! Angry
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »

Please proceed with yours.  I can assure you yours will be much more believable.  Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 09:16:19 PM »

Please proceed with yours.  I can assure you yours will be much more believable.  Smiley

I'm planning on doing it after I finish "America and Onward".
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 10:21:35 PM »

Congratulations, Winfield.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »

You should address your congratulations directly to Mitt Romney.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 10:39:42 PM »

Kew Palace London 1784, King George III is feeling down.

Speaking to his chief advisor...

King George:  Pemberton, I have been feeling depressed of late, losing the colonies and all that.  I need something to cheer me up.  I have been thinking perhaps a marvellous portrait of myself I could share with the realm.  But this would require an absolutely gifted artist.  Someone genuinely outstanding, someone who has the capability to capture my true essence, who could bring out my inner soul, and make my likeness come to life on canvas.  But where can I find such an artist Pemberton?  Where, where?  I doubt such a genius exists.

Pemberton:  Ah, your majesty, there is but one such genius who could do your likeness justice, and only one, the brilliant and gifted portraitist George Romney.

King George:  Oh, you have captivated my imagination.  And where can we find this Romney fellow?

Pemberton:  I believe he resides right here in London your majesty, in Cavendish Square. 

King George:  Well, then send for him immediately.  Tell him his king awaits. 

Pemberton:  Of course your majesty.  I can assure you, you will not be disappointed.         

King George:  Pemberton, whatever would I do without you?

Pemberton:  I am humbled your majesty, and am but your devoted and dedicated servant.       

feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 10:50:52 PM »

Eagerly awaiting the next update...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »

Pemberton introduces artist George Romney to King George III.

Pemberton:  Your majesty, may I present to you the gifted portraitist George Romney.  This man, your majesty, is truly an artistic genius.

Romney bows before the king. 

King George:  Mr. Romney, it is a great pleasure to meet you at last.  I have heard wonderful things about you. 

Romney:  Your majesty, the pleasure is all mine, I assure you.  And thank you Mr. Pemberton for that introduction.  You flatter me.

King George:  As Pemberton has informed you, I would like for you to produce my portrait.  But not just any portrait, Mr. Romney, a truly magnificent portrait.  A protrait that will shout through the centuries, THIS is King George III.  Mr. Romney, can you capture my inner soul, and make my likeness come to life on canvas? 

Romney:  Indeed your majesty, it will be the epitome of my career to be of such service to so great a soverign as yourself.

King George:  When can you begin?

Romney:  Tomorrow morning your majesty.

Two weeks later, the portrait is complete.

King George, tears in his eyes:  Mr. Romney, this is truly the most magnificent portrait I have ever seen.  This likeness of me shall ring through the centuries.  You shall be receiving a sizeable bonus on top of the handsome fee already paid.

Not only that, Mr. Romney, but I shall like to bestow upon you a hereditary peerage.  You shall be created Baron Romney of Dalton-in-Furness.  You shall have a seat in the House of Lords and an income from the government.  Your male heirs shall inherit this title, position, and income in perpetuity.

Romney, bowing low before the king:  You honor me beyond words your majesty.

And so it is that the Romney family enter into the ranks of the titled British nobility.             
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »

Moar, please.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 08:59:21 AM »

Also, was the painter George Romney even connected to the Romney family we're talking about?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »

How great would be Mitt Romney landslide over Paul Tsonagus in 1978?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 11:18:57 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 04:37:55 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Also, was the painter George Romney even connected to the Romney family we're talking about?

Miles Romney (1806–1877) was born in Dalton-in-Furness, Lancashire (now in Cumbria), on July 13, 1806. He was the son of George Romney, Jr., whose father, George Romney, Sr. was first cousin to the English portrait painter also named George Romney.

This Miles Romney was Mitt Romney's great-great grandfather.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 01:17:48 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 06:53:05 PM by Lincoln Republican »

It is the summer of 1837.  As Miles Romney and his wife Elizabeth are walking to the market, they see a crowd gathered around a man who is speaking.  They move in closer to see what this is all about.

The man speaking is Orson Hyde, a Mormon Apostle.  The Romneys take a great deal of interest in his words, and their lives and as it would turn out, and the lives of their descendants would be changed profoundly forever.  That September, they and their children are baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and in 1841, they leave England for the United States of America to join the Saints.

By joining the Mormon Church, Miles and Elizabeth Romney are to shape the outlook of current and future generations of the Romney family, and by moving to America, they are to lay the foundation by which their descendants would profoundly  impact the future destiny of a great nation, and have an influence that would be felt the world over.

Never did Miles and Elizabeth Romney ever dream the implications that their trans Atlantic voyage would have on America and on the world.    

The Romneys had arrived in the United States of America.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 03:54:10 PM »

I had no idea that the artist George Romney was a real person. Thanks for the nice little bit of info there Smiley.

And, once again, show us moar, please!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 08:52:17 PM »

To clarify with reference to the artist George Romney, his uncle, Thomas Romney, (1709-1776), was a great grandfather of Miles Romney, (1806-1877).  Miles Romney was a great great grandfather of Mitt Romney. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 10:22:57 PM »

To put things into perspective, I will outline the players in this political drama. For clarity, I will state their relatiionship to Mitt Romney, since he is the one that is most familiar, and most beloved Cheesy, to anyone on this board.

All of these may not appear in the story.

Miles Romney (1806-1877), great great grandfather of Mitt Romney, established the Romney family in America.

Miles Park Romney (1843-1904), son of Miles Romney, great grandfather of Mitt Romney.

Gaskell Romney (1871-1955), son of Miles Park Romney, father of Michigan Governor George Romney, and grandfather of Mitt Romney.

George W Romney (1907-1995), son of Gaskell Romney, father of Mitt Romney.

Mitt Romney (born 1947).

Scott Romney, son of George W Romney, brother of Mitt Romney.

Lenore Romney (1909-1998), wife of George W Romney, mother of Mitt Romney.

Ronna Romney (born 1943), former daughter in law of George W Romney and Lenore Romney.

Kevin Romney (born 1964), son of Scott Romney and Ronna Romney, nephew of Mitt Romney.

Ann Romney (born 1949), wife of Mitt Romney.

Edward Roderick Davies (1915-1992), father of Ann Romney, father in law of Mitt Romney.

Sid Lambourne (1898-1984).  Miles Park Romney's second wife, Caroline Lambourne Romney, was a grand aunt of Sid Lambourne.

L.C. Romney, kinsman of Mitt Romney.

John P Romney, business executive, kinsman of Mitt Romney.

David T Romney, lawyer, kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Larry Romney, kinsman of Mitt Romney.

G. Ott Romney (1892-1973), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Miles Romney Sr. (1872-1943), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Miles Romney Jr. (1900-1976), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Daniel T. Romney (1926-2008), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Clyde Anderson Romney (1943-2006), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Vernon Romney (1896-1976), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Helen Brown Romney (1917-2004), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Vernon B Romney (born 1924). kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Keith Bradford Romney II (born 1955), kinsman of Mitt Romney.

Children of Mitt Romney and Ann Romney

Tagg Romney (born 1970).

Matt Romney (born 1971).

Josh Romney (born 1975).

Ben Romney (born 1978).

Craig Romney (born 1981).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 12:53:51 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 08:14:25 PM by Lincoln Republican »

For a political dynasty that was destined to span generations, and one which was to have such a dramatic impact on the future of America and the world, it had humble beginnings.

Ironically, this great dynasty, which was to become one of the paramount strandard bearers of Republicanism, had its beginnings within the Democratic Party.  Miles Romney Sr. (born 1872, a nephew of Miles Park Romney), was born in the small town of Hamilton, Montana.  He became a member of the Montana State Democratic Central Committee, wherein he served with distinction.  

Montana Democratic Governor Robert Burns Smith:  Miles, I do not know how you've done it, but you have managed to revitalize the Montana Democratic Party, and make it possible for me to win election as Governor.  For that, I will be forever greatful.  

Miles Romney Sr.:  It is my privilege to be of service, Governor.  I am pleased that my talents have been beneficial to you and to this state.

Following his remarkable contribution to the Democtratic Party in Montana, Miles Romney Sr. went on to become Mayor of his hometown of Hamilton, Montana, 1902 - 1904, Montana state senator from Ravalli County from 1906 to 1910. He was the State director of the National Recovery Act, organized the Federal Housing Administration in Montana and the National Emergency Council, which became the U.S. Office of Government Reports, and served as President of the Montana Press Association.

In 1913, Miles Romney Sr. realized his life's ambition, winning election as Montana Governor, serving from 1913-1921.  Governor Romney presided over unprecendented economic growth in the state, credited to his aggressive leadership.

The Romneys of Montana were successful in establishing their own mini political dynasty of sorts.  The son, Miles Romney Jr., also a Democrat, born 1900, late in life, decided to follow in his father's footsteps and enter the field of public service.  

He was elected to the Montana House of Representatives in 1966, serving until 1969. In 1968 he was elected Governor of Montana, reelected in 1972, serving 1969 to 1976, and died in office.   Miles Jr. was noted for his wisdom and carefully thought out positions on the issues of the day.  

The Romneys of Montana have left a lasting impact on the state that shall long be remembered fondly by the people of Montana.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 01:06:05 AM »

In 1928, Gaskell Romney, born 1871, son of Miles Park Romney, is 57 years of age.  He had just been elected as a County Commissioner one year before, in 1927, and was having tremendous success in this office.  Against the advice of his family, friends, and contrary to what common sense was saying at the time, Gaskell Romney threw his hat into the race for Governor against popular, successful, respected, intelligent, hard working incumbent Democratic Governor George Dern.

To the surprise of everyone, himself included, Gaskell Romney wins the Republican nomination for Governor over much more politically experienced opponents, and, even more surprising, in a tough fight for Governor, somehow manages to win the Governorship over the popular incumbent.  Some credit Romney's win to the fact he is a devout Mormon in a Mormon state, whereas Dern is a Congregationalist.

Romney sets right to work in his new position, attacking the duties and responsitilities as Governor with enthusiasm.

Then, 1929.

The world, including the state of Utah, is hit with the worst economic depression in memory.  Governor Romney delivers a major address to the Utah State Legislature.

Governor Romney:  There are things we can do to improve the lives of those in this state.  I propose a New Deal to get our unemployed back to work, to get the economy moving again.  We will put government funds into public works projects, transportation, railroads.  We will provide relief to struggling farmers, as farming is a major component of this state.  This will provide jobs for the unemployed and stimulate the economy. 

November 9, 1932, the day after the Presidential election, and the day after Governor Romney had been reelected as Utah Governor, the phone rings in Governor Romney's office. 

Romney's Secretary:  Governor Romney, I have, well, it's President Elect Franklin D. Roosevelt on the line.

Romney:  What?  Roosevelt?  Are you sure? 

Secretary:  Yes sir.

Romney:  Well, put him through.

Romney:  Mr. President Elect , what a surprise.  This is a deep honor.  Congratulations on your overwhelming victory.

Roosevelt:  Thank you Governor.  And congratulations on your big reelection win.

Romney:  Thank you.  And you can call me Gaskell.

Roosevelt:  Only if you call me Franklin.  Gaskell, I am most impressed with your back to work program.  I am going to propose an extensive economic stimulus program when I take office as President.  Would it be okay with you if I call my program the New Deal?  I know this is the name you came up with in 1929, but I like it so much I would like to use it as the name of my economic recovery program, and I would like to institute some of your economic ideas into my own program.

Romney:  Mr. Roosevelt, I would be most honored.

And so it is that Governor Gaskell Romney and President Franklin Roosevelt come to be on a first name basis, and a Romney economic innovation, expanded and added onto on a federal level, named by Governor Romney as the New Deal, a name used by President Roosevelt, with permission, becomes the basis for America's economic recovery, and a lasting bond of friendship is forged between the Utah Governor and the U.S. President.     
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »

Great Updates!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2015, 08:24:23 PM by Lincoln Republican »

February 16, 1933, the office of Utah Governor Gaskell Romney.  Romney is meeting with Utah state legislators.

Secretary:  Governor, President Elect Roosevelt on the line for you.

Romney:  Gentlemen, you will have to excuse me.  FDR is on the line.

Of course Governor.

Romney:  Thank you, put him right through.

GR:  Franklin, how nice to hear from you. The transition going well?

FDR:  Just great Gaskell.  I would like to invite you and Amy to be Eleanors and my special guests at the inauguration.  The two of you will be seated immediately behind  myself and Eleanor.  I would as well like to ask you to be the speaker at the major Presidential dinner following the inauguration.  It will show a spirit of bipartisanship, and besides Gaskell, you are one of the best public speakers I know.  

GR:  Franklin, Amy and I would be most honored to be your guests at the inauguration, and I will be most pleased to speak at the dinner.  And I promise, Franklin, not to extol the virtues of what we have accomplished here in Utah, at least, not too much.

GR and FDR:  Hahahahaha!

FDR:  Gaskell, I know that you have led Utah with great skill and success during this depression and continue to do so through these tough economic times, with great success, so please talk about that for a bit.  That will show America there is hope.  But don't lay it on too thick.  I don't want to be completely overshadowed on my own inauguration day.

FDR and GR:  Hahahahahaha!

GR:  Don't worry about that Franklin.  There is not a soul in the entire nation that could overshadow you on that day, or any other day for some time to come I'm sure.

FDR:  Gaskell, you are too kind.  That is one reason you have been so successful in public life, and one reason I have so much respect for you.  Now, Gaskell, there is something I want to ask you, something I feel very strongly about.  I want to put America back to work.  I know that you have just recently been reelected Governor, but I want the best people in my administration.  I want you to head up the major economic post in the United States government.  I want you to be Secretary of the Treasury.  You will be my principal economic advisor, and will play a critical role in policy making for the United States economy.

GR:  Franklin, I cannot express how humbled I am by your request.  You know, when the President calls, as a citizen, I listen.  I will discuss this matter with Amy, and call you back.

FDR:  Thanks Gaskell.

Romney calls his wife Amy.

GR:  Amy, Franklin wants me to be Secretary of the Treasury.  This will of course require us to leave our beloved Utah and move to DC.  

Amy:  Gaskell, I have had a feeling for some time now that you are destined to accomplish great things, not only for Utah, which you already have, but for the nation as well.  This is the Lord's answer to what you should be doing at this stage in your life.  I will support you completely in your new responsibilities.

GR:  Yes Amy, I have had a feeling as well that being Governor of Utah was not the only contribution that I would be making to public life.

Romney calls FDR back.

GR:  Franklin, I have discussed this matter with Amy, and we both feel strongly that I accept your invitation to become Secretary of the Treasury.  I accept in all humility and look forward to serving in your administration, and serving the American people.

FDR:  (tears in his eyes) Thank you Gaskell.  You have made me very happy.

And so it is that Governor Gaskell Romney of the small state of Utah heads up America's most important economic office as Secretary of the Treasury, making a major contribution, some say the major contribution, to pulling the United States of America out of the devastating economic depression of the 1930's, and going down in American history as the most influential and greatest Secretary of the Treasury the nation has ever known.      
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 10:51:12 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2011, 12:38:29 AM by Honest Abe »

Gaskell Romney is succeeded as Governor of Utah by Utah Secretary of State Charles Mabey in March of 1933, upon Romney's confirmation to become U.S. Secretary of the Treasury.  Charles Mabey is himself a former Utah Governor who was now serving as Secretary of State in the Romney administration.  Mabey completes the remainder of the term.

In the 1936 election for Utah Governor, the oldest son of Gaskell Romney, Miles Pratt Romney, decides to seek the office.  In the election, Miles Pratt Romney sweeps into office.  Miles Pratt Romney seems to have inherited his fathers' gifts of leadership as well as his charisma, and serves two spectacular terms as Utah Governor.

After having completed his two terms as Governor of Utah, Miles Park Romney is talking with his younger brother, George W. Romney.

Miles:  You know George, I have really enjoyed serving two terms as Governor of Utah, and being able to make a meaningful contribution to the betterment of the lives of the people of Utah.

George:  Yes, you know, I plan on becoming a Governor someday, and helping people improve their lives.  And then, after that, I plan on going all the way to the top, and becoming President of the United States, so I will be able to help the entire nation, and the world.

Miles:  George, if anyone can do it, you can.  Our family should contribute another great President to this nation, and you have the abilities to become a great President.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 02:56:28 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2011, 06:23:11 PM by Honest Abe »

Tuesday, January 9, 1940, the Oval Office.  President Franklin Roosevelt meets with Secretary of the Treasury, Gaskell Romney and his wife Amy.

FDR:  Gaskell, I have something of major importance to discuss with you, something that will affect your family, and that is why I have asked to meet with both you and your dear wife Amy.  We live in challenging times.  The world is at war.  This is an election year.  I intend to seek an unprecendented third term as President.  The Vice President John Garner has served well and faithfully, but I have decided that I will be choosing a new Vice Presidential running mate for the election, and I want you to become my Vice President.  I have gone over and over possibilities and your name keeps coming up.  I am more convinced than ever that you are the man for the job.      

GR:  Franklin, (the President and Secretary continue to be on a first name basis in private conversations) I am deeply honored, however, I am not so sure if that would go over so well within the Democratic Party.  After all, I am a Republican, and I intend to remain a Republican.

FDR:  Gaskell, that is the beauty of this whole thing.  In this time of world conflict, I intend to run a national unity ticket, to unite the nation, to bring us together like no time in our history.  You will remain a Republican.  That is as it should be.  And the nation will, I believe, respect that as well.  The convention will ratify my decision, I can assure you.  We do not know if we will be drawn into the war, I suspect we will, and when that time comes, and come it will, I want you to be the one next in line.  Gaskell, I am not well, and should I not survive this coming term, I want you to be the one to succeed me.  The nation would be in very capable hands with you.

GR:  Franklin, I will be honored to accept your generous offer, providing of course Amy is in agreement.  After all, this will be affecting her life tremendously.  Amy, your thoughts?

Amy:  Gaskell, I stand behind you completely.  I know you will be a great Vice President.

GR:  So, it's official then.  I accept.

FDR smiles broadly.

FDR:  Thank you so much Gaskell, and thank you Amy.  I know I have made the right choice.  

FDR proved to be right.  His choice of a Republican running mate united the nation as never before.  The nation is very confident in the ticket of Roosevelt and Romney.  After all, Romney brings to the ticket an extremely successful performance as Secretary of the Treasury, and receives much of the credit, along with the President, for leading the nation out of the economic depression.  The Democratic National Convention in 1940 overwhelmingly approves of FDR's selectiion of Romney for Vice President.

The National Unity ticket of Roosevelt and Romney go on to win the 1940 Presidential election in a landslide, by an electoral vote of 449 to 38 over the Republican ticket of Wendell Wilkie and Charles McNary.

And so it is that a Romney is sworn in as Vice President of the United States, in a momentous time of international conflict and war, a heart beat away from the Presidency itself.  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies