America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Author Topic: America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty  (Read 39801 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 18, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »

Hmmm, I wonder. 

Would even President Romney be able to get the constitution changed?

Hmmm.

Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »

This would be an excellent time to remove the title "President", if you know what I mean... Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2015, 09:45:14 AM »

This would be an excellent time to remove the title "President", if you know what I mean... Wink

Ah yes, indeed I do.

Very interesting scenario. 

But I think I best stick to the script.  Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2015, 10:27:02 AM by Lincoln Republican »

This is NBC News.

President George Romney is scheduled to address the nation in about five minutes.

At this time, we have the following events to report.

President George Romney's recent speech at the Berlin Wall seems to have ignited a firestorm throughout the nations of Eastern Europe, and seems to have set loose a massive movement throughout the region for independence and self determination.

Millions of people in every Soviet satellite state have taken to the streets demanding freedom and  the right to chose who governs them.

We now take you live to the White House and President Romney.

The President:

My fellow Americans, and those who are watching in Europe, as you are aware, there are at this time tremendous upheavals taking place throughout Eastern Europe.

We are living in very troubled times.  Government systems and institutions that have been in place for decades are crumbling and people are demanding changes, and are demanding freedom.

As I advised General Secretary Brezhnev during the recent summit conference, the United States of America and its' allies will not tolerate the killing and imprisonment of people in Eastern Europe because they are demanding freedom and because they are demanding the right to choose their own destiny.

As I speak, the military might of NATO and Western Europe, Canada, Japan, and others, is being massed on the borders of the Satellite States, and is ready to move at a moments notice.  I say again, our preferred course of action is a peaceful settlement, where the people of the Satellite States will be free to choose who governs them.  

The Soviet Union needs to be aware that these protest movements are well organized, well armed, and well led.  I have received reliable reports that large percentages of the various nations armed forces have refused to follow orders to brutally murder protesters and have in fact joined the protest movement, much the same, it should be pointed out, as what happened during the Russian revolution of 1917.

This situation is ongoing, and I warn the Soviet Union not to interfere.  Should they choose to interfere, the Soviet Union will suffer grave consequences.  

My government, and our allies governments in Europe, continue to monitor this situation.  As more details become clear, I will have more to say.

Thank you and good evening.      
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2015, 12:20:06 PM by Lincoln Republican »

One day after President Romney's address to the nation regarding Eastern Europe

7:16 PM

This is NBC News.

Breaking at this hour, we have reports that a major shake up in the Romney administration is imminent.  

We have our chief White House correspondent Preston Menzies on the story at the White House.

Preston, what can you tell us about these breaking events.

Menzies:  Well, details at this moment are very vague.  We  have information that this story involves the State Department, but beyond that we really have no further details.  Oh, wait a moment Peter, I am just getting some further information.  Yes?  Is that confirmed?  

Peter, I have just been advised that President Romney is scheduled to make a brief statement from the Oval Office in about ten minutes.

NBC:  Thank you Preston.  

As you have just heard from our Chief White House correspondent Preston Menzies, President Romney will be addressing the nation in about ten minutes.  

GWR: (looking shaken) My fellow Americans, I have called this impromptu appearance in order to inform the nation of a recent development in my administration. Secretary of State Richard Nixon has tendered his resignation to me about two hours ago.

Secretary of Defense Nelson Rockefeller has been named Acting Secretary of State, and will be nominated to become Secretary of State.

Senator Thomas McIntyre, Democrat from New Hampsire, has resigned from the United States Senate and has accepted the office of Acting Secretary of Defense.  He will be nominated to become Secretary of Defense.

I will have more to say tomorrow.

Thank you and good evening my fellow Americans.      
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:18 PM »

Wow! Excited to see what happened with Nixon!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2015, 12:41:47 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2015, 02:52:47 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The following day

This is NBC News.

We take you live to the White House with our chief White House correspondent Preston Menzies, for the Presidential press conference, that is scheduled to commence in about ten minutes.

Preston, do you have any details as to the content of this press conference?

Menzies:  Peter, for certain it will be further details resulting from President Romney's address last evening.

NBC News:  Preston, what is the atmosphere in the briefing room like at this moment?

Menzies:  Peter, it is one of anticipation.  You can practically feel the electricity in the air.

Press Secretary:  Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States.

President Romney:  Ladies and gentlemen of the press, my fellow Americans watching these proceedings live, welcome.

I will make my statement in full, after which I will be taking questions.

As I promised during my campaigns for the Presidency both in 1968 and 1972, I would always be forthcoming with the people of this nation.

As you are aware, Secretary of State Richard Nixon submitted his resignation to me last evening.  First of all let me say that Mr. Nixon has been a dedicated and hard working public servant since 1947 when he first entered public office as a member of the House of Representatives, then served in the Senate, served 2 terms as Vice President, ran for President in 1960, ran for Governor of California in 1962, and ran for the Republican nomination for President in 1968.  1969 to 1974, Mr. Nixon has served capably as Secretary of State.  Mr. Nixon leaves behind him a legacy of many historic accomplishments during his term as Secretary of State.  

Yesterday, I became aware of a situation that had existed for one day before that.  It was discovered just two days ago that the offices of Senate Minority Leader Senator Mike Mansfield had been fit with electronic surveillance devices, otherwise known as bugging devices.  This was discovered by two members of the Capitol offices security staff during routine rounds in the evening.  Senator Mansfield was notified immediately.

The "smoking gun" if you will, was a business card of Mr. H.R. "Bob" Haldeman, who was the Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Richard Nixon.  It was apparently dropped from a pocket and subsequently kicked under a book case, with just a small corner of the card showing.  One of the security guards happened to notice the small corner of the card from beneath the book case and picked it up.

When this entire matter was brought to my attention by my Chief of Staff Clifford Case, I immediately contacted Secretary Nixon and asked him to come over to my office.  When confronted with the details, and the evidence, he admitted to me that he did indeed meet with Mr. Haldeman and another staffer in his office, John Erlichman, his Assistant at State, and they discussed the matter and agreed that Senator Mansfield was an impediment to what they were trying to accomplish at State, and that he should be monitored.  The office was physically broken into and the bugging devices were physically installed by a staffer of Mr. Nixon's by the name of G. Gordon Liddy, who went with Mr. Haldeman and Mr. Erlichman to Senator Mansfield's offices.  

It was at this point that I told Secretary Nixon that he was to have his resignation on my desk within the  hour, to which he agreed and complied.      

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2015, 01:44:36 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2015, 08:30:25 PM by Lincoln Republican »

INTERACTIVE TIME

The press conference is now open for questions from the White House press correspondents.

YOU are the White House press correspondents from NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, New York Times, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Los Angeles Times, etc.

Now is your opportunity to ask President Romney your questions.

State your name, (that is the name you are using as a press correspondent), which news organization you are from, and ask away.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »

One week later

I would like to thank the United States Congress for fast tracking my two nominees, Nelson Rockefeller as Secretary of State and Thomas McIntyre as Secretary of Defense.

They have been full time on the job since being named Acting Secretaries over a week ago. 

I would just like to take a couple of minutes to pay tribute to these great men.

Nelson Rockefeller is a graduate of Dartmouth College.  He has served as Assistant Secretary of State, Under Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, Governor of New York, as well as serving on countless boards and commissions in both the public and private sectors.  There is no one more qualified at this time for this office as far as I am concerned.

Thomas McIntyre has graciously agreed to relinquish his promising Senate career in order to accept my call to become Secretary of Defense.  Senator McIntyre comes to this office well qualified, and ready to take on the challenge.  He is as well a graduate of Dartmouth College and  Boston University School of Law.

Dartmouth has certainly produced some outstanding public servants.  (laughs all around)

He has served his country valiantly in the United States Army during World War II, rising to the rank of Major.  He has been a dedicated and outstanding Senator for New Hampshire since 1962.

Later that day in the White House Situation Room, President Romney, Vice President Brooke, Chief of Staff Case, Secretary of State Rockefeller, Secretary of Defense McIntyre, Natonal Security Advisor Kissinger, and the Joint chiefs of Staff continue to meet.

Romney:  General, what's the latest in Europe?

General:  Mr. President, the Soviets continue to call up the troops and continue to mobilize.

Romney:  Assessments, gentlemen?

Rockefeller:  Mr. President, this is the most explosive situation since the Germans invaded Poland in '39.

McIntyre:  Mr. President, I have to agree.  Europe could explode at any moment.

Kissinger:  There's only so far we can push the Soviets.

General:  Mr. President, we would be wise to reassess our situation.

President:  I'll sleep on it tonight, and we'll meet at ten tomorrow morning.         
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2015, 08:16:35 PM »

President Romney, Bobby Isaacs from the Lawrence Journal World:

Why did SoS Nixon resign?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »

Mr. Isaacs, thank you for your question.

As I said in my opening statement

I promised during my campaigns for the Presidency both in 1968 and 1972, I would always be forthcoming with the people of this nation.

As you are aware, Secretary of State Richard Nixon submitted his resignation to me last evening.   

Yesterday, I became aware of a situation that had existed for one day before that.  It was discovered just two days ago that the offices of Senate Minority Leader Senator Mike Mansfield had been fit with electronic surveillance devices, otherwise known as bugging devices.  This was discovered by two members of the Capitol offices security staff during routine rounds in the evening.  Senator Mansfield was notified immediately.

The "smoking gun" if you will, was a business card of Mr. H.R. "Bob" Haldeman, who was the Chief of Staff to Secretary of State Richard Nixon.  It was apparently dropped from a pocket and subsequently kicked under a book case, with just a small corner of the card showing.  One of the security guards happened to notice the small corner of the card from beneath the book case and picked it up.

When this entire matter was brought to my attention by my Chief of Staff Clifford Case, I immediately contacted Secretary Nixon and asked him to come over to my office.  When confronted with the details, and the evidence, he admitted to me that he did indeed meet with Mr. Haldeman and another staffer in his office, John Erlichman, his Assistant at State, and they discussed the matter and agreed that Senator Mansfield was an impediment to what they were trying to accomplish at State, and that he should be monitored.  The office was physically broken into and the bugging devices were physically installed by a staffer of Mr. Nixon's by the name of G. Gordon Liddy, who went with Mr. Haldeman and Mr. Erlichman to Senator Mansfield's offices.   

It was at this point that I told Secretary Nixon that he was to have his resignation on my desk within the  hour, to which he agreed and complied. 

So Mr. Nixon admitted to instigating the bugging of the office of Senate Minority Leader Senator Mansfield.  Therefore I told Mr. Nixon to have his resignation on my desk within the hour, and he complied.

That is why Mr. Nixon resigned as Secretary of State.  He was party to a felony.

I trust you and the Lawrence Journal World will keep up the good work you are doing.     

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2015, 12:57:03 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 10:48:53 AM by Lincoln Republican »

The meeting in the White House Situation Room continues the following day.

President:  Gentlemen, I have taken into consideration your feedback and your assessments of this grave situation.

I have as well in the meantime spoken with my counterparts in the alliance.  It took some persuading on my part, but I have convinced our allies to stay the course.

Gentlemen, that is what we are going to do, stay the course.

General:  But Mr. President, this could result in all out war.  We know the Soviets have been mobilizing and moving more troops to the borders in Eastern Europe.

President:  My decision is final General.

General:  Of course Mr. President, I understand.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2015, 11:33:15 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2015, 10:49:10 AM by Lincoln Republican »

The following day in the White House Situation Room

President:  Gentlemen, this is "D" Day.

General:  Mr. President, we are monitoring the situation closely.

President:  What's the latest on the ground General?

General: The allied troops are standing firm.  I have reports that more and more of the Satellite State troops are joining the Allied forces each day.  It is having a domino effect.  The Soviet forces in the Satellite States have for the most part either joined the rebellion or have surrendered to the rebel forces.  The Satellite States have made full use of the training and armaments that us and our allies have sent into these states.  

President:  Rocky, what is the latest news on the diplomatic front?  

Rockefeller:  Mr. President, I have been in frequent contact with Gromyko, and he continues to insist the Soviet Union will never, as he says, and I quote, "turn our beloved people in Eastern Europe over to the evils of western capitalism and decadence."  So the Soviet Union continues to put up a bold front in the face of what is actually going on in Eastern Europe.

Rockefeller:  (on the line with the U.S. Ambassador to West Germany)  Yes, Mr. Ambassador, what's going on now?

Ambassador:  Mr. Secretary, can you set up a conference call with the President and yourself?

Rockefeller:  Right away.  You are now on line with the President and myself, as well as the Vice President, Secretary McIntyre, and the Joint Chiefs.

Ambassador:  Thank you Mr. Secretary.  Mr. President, Mr. Vice President, Secretaries, Joint Chiefs, I am just receiving word now that  East Germany has declared independence, and have established a provisional government.  The same is happening in the other Satellite States, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria.  Scores of Communist officials have been arrested and are being held in custody.  Communist military leaders who have not joined the rebellion have as well been arrested.

President:  Thank you Mr. Ambassador, please keep us informed of any further developments.

Ambassador:  Certainly Mr. President.

McIntyre:  (on the phone with Commander of Operations in Eastern Europe)  Yes Commander, you are on a conference call with the President, Vice President, Secretary Rockefeller, the Joint chiefs, and myself.  What's happening?

Commander:  I have reports just coming into me at this moment that the Soviet troops are beginning to fall back.  It will take some time before we can determine whether this is a withdrawal or simply a tactical maneuver.

McIntyre:  When do you think you will have anything more definitive?

Commander:  In a few hours.

McIntyre:  OK Commander, thank you.

President:  Gentlemen, this is going to be a long night.  But we will weather the storm, and will stay here and monitor the situation all night.  We'll have dinner brought in.  Chicken, fish, or beef?  (laughs all around)

Six hours later

McIntyre:  It's the Commander.  I'll put you on conference call.

Commander:  Thank you Mr. Secretary.  We have now confirmed that the Soviet troops are falling back.  They are moving out personnel and equipment eastward on a steady basis.  We are confident this is genuine.

McIntyre:  Good news Commander.  As usual, call with any further developments.

President:  Thank  you Commander.

Rocky:  George, how did you know that we would be able to get away with this type of massive and dangerous operation, confronting the Soviets head on, and risking a world war?

President:  I didn't Rocky, I didn't.  
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »

Muskie-Udall '76!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »

The following day in the Oval Office

The President of the United States

My fellow Americans, and those who are viewing from Europe and around the world, thank you for joining me.

I am pleased to report to you that the flames of freedom are burning brightly across Eastern Europe tonight, for the first time in a generation.

We have faced the Soviet threat head on, and freedom has prevailed.

I am happy to report that six nations in Eastern Europe, who have been living under the brutal heel of Soviet domination since 1945 are now free to choose their own destiny.

The rebellions in Eastern Europe, backed up by the United States and our allies in this just cause, have succeeded, and a new Europe is emerging.

Communist leadership in these nations have been arrested, and are now facing trial. 

Walter Ulbricht in East Germany, Henryk Jablonski in Poland, Ludvik Svoboda in Czechoslovakia, Pal Losonczi in Hungary, Nicolae Ceausescu in Romania, Todor Zhivkov in Bulgaria, are now former Communist dictators, and are now facing justice.

I have reports, in fact, that Ceausescu in Romania, as well as his wife, have already been tried and executed by firing squad.

Scores of other Communist officials, government and military, have been arrested as well. 

East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, have already established provisional governments, in preparation to establishing permanent, democratic governments.

East Germany and West Germany have begun the process of reuniting to once again becoming one nation.  The Berlin Wall is being demolished as I speak.  This wall has been the symbol of Communist aggression and tyranny for a generation, and like aggression and tyranny throughout history, this wall, and this tyranny, shall crumble and shall be no more.

At this time, I would like to thank our allies in Europe, Canada, Japan, who have stood by us through thick and thin, in this just cause. 

Prime Minister Robert Stanfield of Canada, Chancellor Helmut Schmidt of West Germany, Prime Minister Harold Wilson of Great Britain, President Valery Giscard d'Estang of France, President Giovanni Leone of Italy, Prime Minister Kakuei Tanaka of Japan.

Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, have all applied for membership in NATO, with the full backing of the United States of America.  Membership in NATO for these nations should be confirmed shortly.

From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, let freedom ring. (paraphrased from WC)

This very significant event in the history of the world will light a flame of freedom around the globe, a flame that will never die.

Thank you, and good night. 

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2015, 04:35:59 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2015, 12:56:22 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The following day, the White House Press Briefing Room

Members of the press, and to the public viewing these proceedings via television, welcome.

As you know by my remarks yesterday evening from the Oval Office, the now former Soviet Satellite States have proclaimed their independence from the Soviet Union.  

The scope and influence of what I will call The Evil Empire has been greatly diminished.

East Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Romania, and Bulgaria have joined the European community of free and democratic nations.  Europe is better off, and the world is better off because of it.

We continue, of course, to keep a very close eye on events in Europe as they continue to unfold.  We are still in the early stages of this monumental transition, the transition from tyranny and oppression to freedom and democracy.

I will take questions at this time.

Mr. President, Preston Menzies from NBC News.  

Mr. President, could you elaborate for us on the origins of this massive undertaking.

President:  Yes Preston.  This was actually something that I had wanted to see take place for years now.  After taking office, I had top level discussions with our allies, and after finalizing the details, managed to get these nations in agreement.  

So, when the time was right, I advised my counterparts in our allied nations,  and I met with some of my top level associates in my administration, and told them my plans, and that I believed the right time had arrived to carry out this operation.

My meeting with Soviet Leader Brezhnev and my speech at the Berlin Wall were the catalysts that moved things along.

The rest is history.

Mr. President, Sue Cartier from Newsweek.  

Mr. President, in your opening remarks, did I get that right that you referred to the Soviet Union as The Evil Empire, and do you think using that language may be inflammatory?

President:  Sue, a large and powerful country that would bring small and sovereign nations under their control, and repress them for a generation, is indeed evil.  And the term, The Evil Empire, suits this situation completely.

Mr. President, Bob Woodward from the Washington Post.

Referring to the Nixon affair, are you satisfied that the findings in this case are the full extent of any matters relating to this case, and are you prepared to see Mr. Nixon go to trial, or are you prepared to give Mr. Nixon a full Presidential pardon for his involvement in this affair?

President:  Bob, that is a very good question.  Nothing else has been uncovered by the investigation, or through questioning of the four involved.  You know, Mr. Nixon has already pleaded guilty, and as you know, I am a lawyer by profession, so I would not care to make any further statement in that matter at this time.  I would not like to be accused by anyone of trying to influence this case at all.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for being here today.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2015, 11:18:56 AM by Lincoln Republican »

The following day, the Oval Office

President Romney meets with Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller.

President:  Rocky, as you know, The People's Republic of China is an emerging economic super power, combined with tremendous military might.

I want to get ahead of the curve here.  I want to  open up meaningful dialogue and diplomatic relations with them.  I am absolutely convinced that in the not too distant future the United States will need China as much as they need us.  We simply cannot  afford to fall behind in the changing dynamics of world politics.

Rocky:  Yes George, I have been thinking much the same myself lately.  There is simply too much at stake for the United States here.

President:  Yes Rocky, there certainly is.  That is why I would like you to undertake a high level diplomatic trip to the People's Republic of China, and pave the way for you and I, and a high level delegation from the United States, to visit the PRC.

I want to have talks with the top Chinese government officials, culminating with top level talks with Chou En-Lai and Mao Tse-Tung.

I want to normalize relations between the U.S. and China.  Never before has a United States President visited the PRC, and I want to change that.  It is an important step to take for world economic and political security.

As you know, I had discussed this very subject during the 1972 campaign, and I was met with tremendous support in some quarters, as well as with deep skepticism in others.

Well, in spite of the skeptics, I am going ahead with this very important initiative.  It will have long range beneficial results for us and for the world.

Rocky:  I agree George.  This will become a truly monumental event in the history of the world.

State will start the wheels rolling.  
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »

Two months later, President Romney addresses the nation on his visit to China

As you are aware, Secretary of State Rockefeller, National Security Advisor Kissinger, and myself recently returned from our diplomatic and economic mission to the People's Republic of China.

I consider this trip to be an unprecedented success in terms of benefits to the United States.

This trip produced the Shanghai Communique, a diplomatic statement in which both the United States and the People's Republic of China have agreed to establish a political relationship based on something more than ideological antagonism and frozen or unfinished wars.

This was the week that changed the world, as what we have said in that Communique is not nearly as important as what we will do in the months and years ahead.

The overall relationship benefits both nations immensely.

This communique provides greater clarity on U.S. and on China's intentions and strategic vision. A conflict between China and the United States would weaken both societies. Conflict can only end in tragedy for all sides.

China will no doubt benefit from this agreement.  Beijing's move toward Washington is it's first modernization. 

At the Communist Party's National Peoples Congress, Premier Chou En Lai described the new game plan. "In order to build an independent and relatively comprehensive industrial system in China", Chou said, "China had to accomplish the comprehensive modernization of agriculture, industry, national defense, and science and technology before the end of the century so that our national economy will be advancing in the front ranks of the world."

This visit opened the door to Sino-American foreign relations, and paved the way to the strong economic ties that will have tremendous benefits to the United States now and in in the generations to come.

The future waits for no one.  Time moves on relentlessly.  It is up to us to grasp the opportunities as they present themselves, and put them to work for the benefit of all.

=============================================================

Following the President's remarks to the nation, President Romney holds a meeting in the Oval Office with Vice President Brooke, Secretary of State Rockefeller, Secretary of Defense McIntyre, National Security Advisor Kissinger, Chief of Staff Case.

Rocky:  Good speech George.  It laid out the facts clearly to the American people.

President:  Thank you Rocky.

Something I did not get into in the speech was the fact that it will no doubt give us more leverage with the Soviet Union, given the fact that we have now normalized diplomatic relations with the PRC.  There is really no longer an exclusive Sino Soviet alliance per se.

As far as I'm concerned, this is another factor that will contribute further to the weakening of The Evil Empire.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2015, 02:36:20 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 12:22:17 PM by Lincoln Republican »

President Romney takes steps to clean up the environment

Ladies and gentlemen of the press, thank you for joining us here today.

I am pleased to announce that my administration has taken to establish a new government, cabinet level department, The Department of the Environment.

I am as well pleased to announce that I will be nominating Representative Phil crane of the great state of Illinois to become the first Secretary of the Environment.  Congressman Crane is a man of considerable accomplishment, and is a man of tremendous ability.  He is an exemplary public servant.

He was educated at Hillsdale College, the University of Vienna, and Indiana University, where he received a PhD in history.  He served in the United States Army. He also attended DePauw University and the University of Michigan.

He was a faculty member at Indiana University and at Bradley University in Peoria.

This administration will be taking bold steps to clean up our environment and leave a legacy of clean air and clean water and a clean environment for generations yet to come.    

Representative Crane.

Secretary Designate Crane:  Thank you so much Mr. President for your very kind words.  I am honored that President Romney has asked me to become the first Secretary of the Environment.

I, as does the President, believe that we absolutely must take steps to ensure a clean environment for the future.  

The Department of the Environment has been created for the purpose of protecting human health and the environment.

The department will be conducting environmental assessment, research, and education. It will have the responsibility of maintaining and enforcing national standards under a variety of environmental laws, in consultation with state, tribal, and local governments. The department will be working with industries and all levels of government in a wide variety of pollution prevention programs and energy conservation efforts.

We will be addressing the issues of acid rain, ozone depletion, and toxic air pollution, establishing a national permits program for stationary sources, and increased enforcement authority. There will be new auto gasoline reformulation requirements, set Reid vapor pressure standards to control evaporative emissions from gasoline, and we will mandate new gasoline formulations.

We will be enacting legislation governing water pollution. Its objective will be to restore and maintain the chemical, physical, and biological integrity of the nation's waters by preventing point and nonpoint pollution sources, providing assistance to publicly owned treatment works for the improvement of wastewater treatment, and maintaining the integrity of wetlands.

These are but a few of the steps this administration, and I as Secretary of the Environment, will be taking to address the environmental issues facing this nation today.

The Romney administration and I as Secretary take our environmental future seriously.  As the President has said, it is up to us to leave a clean environment for future generations.

President:  Thank you very much Congressman, or should I say Secretary?  (laughs all around)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #194 on: October 10, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2015, 02:09:07 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The Oval Office

President Romney meets with Vice President Brooke, Secretary of State Rockefeller, Secretary of Defense  McIntyre, National Security Advisor Kissinger, Chief of Staff Case, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency William  Colby.

President:  Gentlemen, thank you for joining me here today.

As each of you are aware, at my instigation, we have had CIA operatives on the ground for several months now in each of the Soviet republics, except for Russia of course.  This has been a highly guarded, top security matter just between those in this room, select department officials, select CIA officials, and the operatives, as each of you are or will be key players in the drama that is, I hope, about to unfold.

You in this room are my most trusted advisors and associates.  

As you know, we have been receiving reports that there has recently, following the uprisings in Eastern Europe, unrest in many of the republics comprising the Soviet Union.

Gentlemen, I believe very firmly, that in the not too distant future, as I have said before, that the Soviet Union will collapse under its own weight.  The people of many of the associated republics are clamoring for their freedom and for the right to determine their own destiny, the same as the former Soviet satellite states in Eastern Europe have done.

I have asked Director Colby here today to give us his insight as to the current situation within the Soviet republics.    

Bill, can you update us on the latest developments?

Colby:  Thank you Mr. President.

We have, of course, been monitoring the situation in these areas extremely closely and have been analyzing the feedback from our operatives on the ground.  We in the CIA believe that these republics simply need to know that they will have the backing of the world community, at least the democratic world community, in their determination for independence.  

President:  Thanks Bill.  

I have been invited to address the United Nations General Assembly one week from today, and I intend to use that opportunity to unite all those nations who believe in freedom and democracy and who believe in the right of self determination to form a united front in support of the struggle of the people of the Soviet republics, to have the freedom to determine their own destinies.

----------------------------------------------------------

One week later, the United Nations General Assembly

Secretary General of the United Nations:  Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States, George Romney.

(Heavy applause from the free nations representatives.  Polite applause from the non democratic nations representatives)

President:  I would like to thank the United Nations for extending to me this tremendous opportunity to address this world community, and indeed, to address the people of the world, as I understand this speech is being broadcast throughout most of the world.

The major driving force throughout my Presidency has been that of freedom and opportunity.  The freedom of the people's of the world, wherever they may reside, and the opportunity for the people's of the world to have the right to determine their own destinies.

I have been praised in some quarters of the world as a fighter for freedom, and I have been vilified in other quarters of the world as a war monger who wants to destabilize the existing order of things.

Let me be clear, if my actions and those of my allies have destabilized tyranny and oppression in any part of the world, then I make no apologies.

(standing ovation and loud applause from the delegates of free nations)

(voice rising)

As I speak, the flames of freedom are sweeping across the various republics of the Soviet Union.  People by the hundreds of thousands, by the millions, are taking to the streets to demand freedom from a central authority in Moscow, to demand the right of self determination, to demand the right to economic freedom and opportunity, to demand the right to live under a government that recognizes their right to choose who governs them, in free and democratic elections, who demand the right that they do not have to fear from the secret police knocking on their door one day, to send them to the far reaches of Siberia because they want a better future.  

(voice normal)

Let me be blunt.  Any moves by the central authority in Moscow to brutally clamp down on the freedom movement in the Soviet republics will be met with swift and harsh retaliation.

The most powerful free nations in the world are ready, at a moments notice, to come to the support and aid of those clamoring for freedom.  The free nations of the world are ready, at a moments notice, to impose strict, severe, and devastating economic sanctions on the central authority in Moscow, sanctions, that will devastate the Russian economy.

The United States and our allies want peace, but enslaved peoples want freedom, and we are prepared to do all in our power to aid in this effort.

History will not stand still and accept the old order.  History moves on, and old, dictatorial systems will fall by the wayside, and will be replaced by the bright sunlight of freedom.

Thank you my friends, and may we move forward to a bright new world of freedom and hope.

(loud and enthusiastic applause, standing ovation from the free world nations, the nations of dictatorships remain sitting)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so the stage is set for the most potentially explosive world situation since 1939
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: October 11, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »

President Romney calls the Kremlin.

Romney:  Leo, George here.  I'm sure you saw my UN speech.

Brezhnev:  Yes, you capitalist war monger dog.  How dare you threaten the Soviet State?

R:  Leo, I think we should discuss this in a civilized manner.  I'm  sure that we can come to an acceptable agreement.

B:  What?  You tell the world you will bring the Soviet State to its knees with military threats and sanctions, and expect me to discuss this with you in a civilized manner?  You think you can get away with this?  The Soviet Union will not stand for this.

R:  Leo, I don't need to remind you that the Soviet Union is no longer the Soviet Union it once was.  Your former Satellite States in Eastern Europe are now free and independent, and are now members of NATO.

The other Republics of the Soviet Union are in open revolt.  Millions have taken to the streets.  Much of the military have sided with the rebellions.

The Soviet Union of the 40s and 50s is collapsing around you.  Times are changing and historic events are moving quickly.

I have signed agreements with the People's Republic of China on open diplomatic relations and trade.  Your most important ally sees the advantages to them of an economic relationship with the United States.  China and the United States have much to gain from these agreements.  China now has a new perspective on the economic front, and is no longer so tied to the Soviet Union.

You would be wise to accept my terms.

B:  And just what are your terms, decadent western capitalist?

R:  Quite simple really.  The Soviet military will not interfere in the independence movements.  The Western World is prepared to impose crippling actions against Russia if there is a violation of this requirement.  In return, contrary to imposing crippling economic sanctions against Russia, the West is prepared to enter into an expanded economic relationship with Russia as well as with the Soviet Republics now demanding freedom.   

I have spoken with Mao and Chou.  They want access to American markets, and they have agreed not to interfere economically on your behalf. 

These Soviet Republics as well will be joining NATO.

B:  I'll instruct the Politburo to cooperate.

R:  Thanks Leo.  I'm sure we'll be talking again soon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Oval Office after the conversation with Brezhnev

Rocky:  You think he'll do what he says with the Politburo?

Romney:  Oh, I'm sure Rocky, I'm sure.

One thing I didn't tell him, that we had the CIA scattered across the area for the past six months, planting seeds of dissension.  Thanks for the idea Rocky.

Rocky:  My pleasure George, my pleasure.  It's about time those Russians got a taste of their own medicine.

George and Rocky:  HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA     
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #196 on: October 12, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2015, 07:21:53 PM by Lincoln Republican »

The State Of The Union January 19, 1976

Ladies and gentlemen, the Supreme Court of the United states. (standing ovation)

Ladies and gentlemen, the cabinet of the United States. (standing ovation)

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United states.

President Romney enters the House of Representatives chamber to a rousing, standing ovation, shaking hands along the way.

Mr. Speaker, Mr. Vice President, members of the United States Congress, my fellow Americans, thank you.

I am honored to be here tonight, on this the occasion of my last State of the Union address.

I am pleased to report that the state of the union is strong, healthy, and free.

(standing ovation)

Let me say at the outset, that I have never regretted my decision in 1969 to end America's involvement in Vietnam, saving the lives of countless thousands or our young soldiers, and bringing home the prisoners of war from Vietnam.

(standing ovation)

Our people know they have the best social and health care programs in the world, programs that work without bankrupting the treasury.  We have shown that as  nation, we were able to work together to institute programs for our people that are second to none.

I wish to acknowledge the invaluable contributions of Secretary Smith in spearheading these historic reforms.

I am pleased that I have had the privilege of presiding over these fundamental changes and improvements to our social systems.

(standing ovation)

I am pleased to report tonight that America's environment, our air, our water, are well on the way to being cleaned up, and leaving a legacy of environmental standards for future generations.

I wish to acknowledge the invaluable contribution of Secretary Crane in spearheading this historic undertaking.

I am pleased that I have had the privilege of presiding over these environmental changes.

(standing ovation)

I am pleased to report tonight that the people's of the former Soviet Satellite States of Eastern Europe are free.

East Germany, now reunited with West Germany, free.  Poland free.  Czechoslovakia free.  Hungary free.  Romania free.  Bulgaria free.

I am pleased that I had the privilege of spearheading this historic movement.    

(standing ovation)

I am pleased to report tonight that the people's of the former Soviet Republics comprising the Soviet Union are free.

Ukraine free.  Byelorussia free.  Uzbekistan free.  Kazakhstan free.  Georgia free.  Azerbaijan free.  Lithuania free.  Moldavia free.  Latvia free. Kirghizstan free.  Tajikistan free.  Armenia free.  Turkmenistan free.  Estonia free.

I am pleased that I have had the privilege of leading this historic movement.

(standing ovation)

We have opened up full diplomatic and economic relations with the People's Republic of China.  This will further expand the American economy, resulting in more jobs and more opportunities for our people.

The People's Republic of China is emerging as a world economic super power, one which we cannot ignore.

I wish to acknowledge the invaluable contributions of Secretary Rockefeller and National Security Advisor Kissinger in laying the groundwork for my visits with the Chinese leadership.  

Ladies and gentlemen, my fellow Americans, thank you, good night, God bless America.

(raucous standing ovation)

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2016, 11:23:41 AM by Lincoln Republican »

The Oval Office the day after the State of the Union address

President Romney and Secretary of State Rockefeller are talking casually.

Rocky:  Great speech last night George.  I believe the American people were inspired by it.  

It has been a great honor and privilege for me to serve in your administration these past seven years, in Defense and now at State.  The only job I've wanted more than these is yours George.

(both laugh)

As you know, I tried in 1960 and 1964.  Didn't quite make it to the nomination.  I backed you in 1968 George because I could see  you were the man for the job.  And let me tell you George, I never regretted backing you.

But for me, I think my time has passed for realizing my life long dream.

George:  Thank you so much Rocky.  Your support in '68 was invaluable to me.  I will always be grateful to you.

But don't sell yourself short Rocky.  This is still January of 1976.  It's not too late for you, Rocky. My approval ratings are standing at around 90%.  I am willing, for you Rocky, to throw my support behind you for the nomination.  

Rocky:  George, I can't ask you to do that.  It is highly unusual for a sitting President to endorse a candidate for President before the nomination has been settled.  

George:  You're not asking me Rocky.  I'm offering.

(both laugh)

You know, TR,  whom I greatly admire, and in some respects have tried to emulate, endorsed Taft in 1908.  That resulted in Taft going on to win the Presidency.

Rocky:  Good point.  But George, what about Ed?  Serving eight years as your faithful VP, surely he deserves your backing.

George:  Rocky, Ed has been the best Vice President any President could ever hope for.  But Ed and I have talked, and we both realize that America is not ready for a black President at this time.  Someday, perhaps 32 years from now, but not now.  I can see a young, dynamic, gifted, ivy league educated, perhaps a Senator from the Midwest, becoming America's first black President.  And he will be a Democrat.  

Besides, Ed wants to get back into the United States Senate.  As you know, Ed had only been a Senator for about a year and a half when I tapped him for the Vice Presidency.  He wants to get back into the Senate to finish the job he started in 1967.                  

Rocky, you have served faithfully and extremely competently in two of the most senior government jobs in the nation, Secretary of Defense and Secretary of State.  My administration could not have accomplished what we did accomplish on the world stage without your help.  You have also been a dynamic and well accomplished Governor of New York.  That is one of the toughest jobs in American politics today.  

Rocky, you are ready to become President.  And you have my full support and backing.

Rocky:  Thank you so much George.  That means the world to me.  I will announce my candidacy for the nomination in two weeks.

George:  Rocky, if I may make a recommendation.  Knowing the political landscape of this nation as well as anyone, I strongly recommend you reach out to Ron Reagan and try to get him to accept the Vice Presidential nomination.  I think, given the various states primaries and caucuses coming up, that you will have the numbers to win the nomination, but Ron will be an extremely formidable candidate for the nomination.  

Rocky:  Ron is at the top of my list.  

George:  Frankly, Rocky, I think you will need him on the ticket to win the election.    

Rocky:  As always George, your insight is uncanny.

George:  Thanks Rocky.  I will publicly endorse you a couple of weeks after you announce your candidacy.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2015, 12:38:59 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Two weeks after his meeting with President Romney, Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller announces he is running for President.

New York City

Rockefeller:  I am today announcing my candidacy for President of the United States.  This decision was not easy, but I believe it is the right decision.  

My good friend Ron Reagan, a man who has my admiration and respect, I know has been running for the nomination for awhile now, and I believe Republicans should be given another viable choice, and I believe I offer that  viable choice, so I have decided to offer that choice to Republicans across this country.

I come to this challenge with a very solid record of public service and accomplishment.  A member of countless government boards and commissions, Assistant Secretary of State, Under Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, Governor of the great state of New York, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of State.

I am here today to offer Republicans, and Americans, a choice in this election.

Some would ask why did I not announce my candidacy earlier.  My answer is that over the past couple of years, as Secretary of Defense, then as Secretary of State, our nation and our government have been involved in extremely tense and challenging circumstances on the world stage.

As you know, under the leadership of President Romney, we have led the way in liberating the former Soviet Satellite States of Eastern Europe from Soviet oppression and tyranny, and then of liberating the former Soviet Republics from domination under Russia and Moscow.  My duties and responsibilities as Secretary of Defense then as Secretary of State simply did not allow me the time to campaign for President.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two weeks later, as promised, President George Romney publicly endorses Nelson Rockefeller for the Republican Presidential nomination and for President of the United States.

St. Louis, Missouri

Romney:  (on stage with Nelson Rockefeller, Mrs. Rockefeller, and Mrs. Romney)

My fellow Republicans, my fellow Americans.  I am here today to give my public and enthusiastic endorsement to Nelson Rockefeller for the Republican Presidential nomination and for the Presidency of the United States.  

I have known Nelson a long time, and I can attest to his abilities, his knowledge, and his sheer hard work on behalf of this nation.  I can tell you first hand that his input and contributions to this government over the past seven years has been absolutely invaluable.  

I have every confidence that Nelson is prepared for the job, and is up to the task.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the conclusion of the Republican primaries and caucuses, Nelson Rockefeller emerges as the victor in a hard fought contest with Ronald Reagan.

One week after the conclusion of the Republican Presidential nomination contest, the presumptive Republican Presidential nominee, Nelson Rockefeller, flies to Santa Barbara, California, to meet with former California Governor and the runner up for the nomination, Ronald Reagan, at the Reagan Ranch.

Nancy Reagan is in attendance at the meeting.

Nelson:  Ron, I have to congratulate you on your run for the nomination.  I do not believe I have ever had a tougher election in my life.  Ron, I have come here today to ask you to be the candidate for Vice President of the United States.

With you on the ticket, Ron, I am confident that together we will win the election.  

Ron:  Nelson, I am of course honored to be considered.  What does George think?  

Nelson:  George is fully in support of you becoming the Vice Presidential candidate.  I have gotten George's opinion of who he thinks should be the Vice Presidential candidate.  In fact, you are the only name he has ever mentioned to me for Vice President.  You have been my top pick for some time now, even before I had discussed the matter with George.

Ron:  Nelson, I know we are far apart on the ideological scale, but I respect you for your intelligence, hard work, and proven capabilities.

Ron gets Nancy's view.  She supports the move.

Ron:  To unite the Republican Party, and to offer the American public the best choice, I will accept your offer and join you on the ticket as the candidate for Vice President of the United States.

Nelson:  Thank you so much Ron.  The nation will benefit greatly with you in my administration.

Now all we have to do is win the election.

(laughter from all)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2015, 11:41:20 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2016, 11:32:48 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Democrats meet in New York City, New York, July 12-15, 1976 to officially nominate Senator Henry Jackson of Washington for President and Senator Birch Bayh of Indiana for Vice President.

Republicans meet in Kansas City, Missouri, August 16-19, 1976 to officially nominate Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller of New York for President and former Governor Ronald Reagan of California for Vice President.

Rockefeller and Reagan pledge to build on the extraordinary record of accomplishment for peace and prosperity of President Romney, and to advance their agenda of economic expansion and jobs.

President Romney makes four campaign appearances and two ten minute television campaign ads on behalf of the Republican ticket.  

1976 Election Results

Rockefeller/Reagan                402 EV/58% PV
Jackson/Bayh                        136 EV/42% PV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, President Nelson Rockefeller dies on January 26, 1979, as the result of a heart attack.  He had served as President of the United States for only slightly more than two years, but leaves to the nation and to the world a legacy of positive accomplishment, both before becoming President, and as President.

Vice President Ronald Reagan is sworn in as President of the United States the same day by Chief Justice of the United States Warren Burger.  

Consequently, both Nelson Rockefeller and Ronald Reagan, in the space of two years, had realized their goal of becoming President of the United States.

Both President Reagan and former President Romney deliver inspiring and emotional eulogies at the state funeral of President Rockefeller.

The nation mourns.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies