America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:15:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: America's Greatness And The Rise Of The Romney Dynasty  (Read 39866 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
« edited: October 21, 2015, 11:30:12 AM by Lincoln Republican »

President Reagan gets a Vice President

Two days after President Rockefeller's funeral, President Reagan puts in a call to former United States Attorney General William Scranton in Pennsylvania.

Reagan:  Bill, Ronnie here. How ya doin'?

Scranton:  Just fine Mr. President, just fine.  My wife and I are really enjoying retirement.  What an honor it is for me to receive a call from you.

Reagan:  Thank you Bill.  In fact, about retirement, I would like to know how you would feel about delaying your retirement by a couple of years?  

Scranton:  Ron, is this going where I think it's going?

Reagan:  Bill, you read me like a book.  With the unfortunate death of President Rockefeller, and with my ascension to the Presidency, there is now of course a vacancy in the Vice Presidency.  I can think of no one better than you to fill that office.  As you know, with the twenty fifth amendment, the President can now nominate a candidate for the Vice Presidency.  And I want to nominate you.  I will become the first President to invoke this amendment, and you will become the first person to be nominated under this amendment.

Scranton:  Well, Mr. President, I am truly honored.  Let me talk with Mary.

I would be honored to accept.

Two years right?  (both laugh)

Reagan:  Yes, that's right.

I will send Air Force One to pick you and Mary up, and you can come to DC tomorrow.

Scranton:  Thank you Mr. President.

Reagan:  Call me Ron.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following day in the Blue Room at the White House

President Reagan:  (flanked on his right by William Scranton and Scranton's wife Mary, and on his left by First Lady Nancy Reagan)

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for joining us here today.

I am pleased to announce today that I will be nominating for Congressional approval a great American, William Scranton, for the office of Vice President of the United States.

Mr. Scranton comes with absolutely sterling qualifications for this office.  

He served in the United States Army Air Corps during World War II, graduated from Yale University and from Yale Law School.  He is an attorney by profession.  

Mr. Scranton  served for two years as a member of the United States House of Representatives from Pennsylvania, and for four years as Governor of Pennsylvania.

As you are well aware, Mr. Scranton has served most recently for eight years as an outstanding United States Attorney General in the cabinet of President George Romney.

I am asking Congress to approve the nomination of Mr. Scranton as quickly as possible.

Mr. Scranton.

Scranton:  Thank you President Reagan.  I am most honored to be asked by you to serve as Vice President of the United States.  I believe I can do this office justice, and if confirmed, the office and the nation will have my dedication and hard work.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three weeks later, Congress approves the nomination of William Scranton as Vice President of the United States.  

Scranton is sworn in at the White House as Vice President of the United States the same day by Chief Justice of the United States Warren Burger.       

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2015, 12:35:28 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2015, 08:21:38 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Oslo, Norway 1979

Chairman of the Nobel Committee:  The Norwegian Nobel Committee is most honored and pleased to present two Nobel Peace Prizes this year.

These awards go to Mother Teresa, founder of the Missionaries of Charity, and to former President of the United States, George Wilcken Romney.

Mother Teresa, for your outstanding work among the poor and promoting love and charity, we are most pleased to present to you this award.

We recognize the Missionaries of Charity now number approximately 450 brothers and 5,000 sisters worldwide, operating 600 missions, schools and shelters in 120 countries.

Your works of charity and compassion will never be forgotten.

President Romney, we are pleased to present to you this award for your untiring work and leadership in  being the one individual more than anyone else, in forging a coalition of peace loving nations, to have brought freedom and democracy to Eastern Europe, and to the former Soviet Republics.  

We can see that between 1974, when you first began these initiatives, and now, there has been peace, stability, and democracy in these parts of the world, more than at any other time in history, and the Nobel Committee wishes to now recognize this achievement.

President Romney.

Romney:  I am most pleased, honored, and humbled to accept this award today.  

I could not have achieved these results without the untiring work of officials in my government, or of other world leaders and their officials, or of the brave men of women of the armed forces of us and our allies, or of the work of the brave leaders, military, and people of the nations of Eastern Europe and of the former Soviet Republics.

This award I share with them.    

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: October 22, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 01:08:15 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Republican National Convention, Detroit, Michigan, July 14-17, 1980

Convention Chairman:  Ladies and gentlemen, President George Romney.

Romney:  Thank you so much for that wonderful welcome.  It is truly heart warming.

I accept the nomination.  (broad smile across his face)

Oh, just kidding.  

(audience is hysterical with laughter)

I am pleased to be asked by President Ronald Reagan to take a few minutes and address this convention.

First of all, I would like to say a few words about that great American, President Nelson Rockefeller.  I have known Nelson for many years, long before I became President.  I have had the privilege of working side by side with Nelson during the entire eight years of my Presidency.  First in his position as Secretary of Defense, and then as Secretary of State.  I can say first hand that Nelson was one of the most intelligent, hardest working individuals that I have ever met.  His contribution to public life was outstanding.  

I can say in all honesty, when I began the initiative to bring freedom to the states of Eastern Europe, and then to free the former Soviet Republics from the grip of Moscow, that I would not have been able to accomplish this without Nelson  by my side with his outstanding insight and invaluable contributions to this endeavor.

Nelson, my friend, thank you, we miss you.

(tears in Romney's eyes, and in the eyes of those in the audience, some weeping openly)

And now my friends, I wish to say a few words about another great American, President Ronald Reagan.

Upon the sudden and unexpected death of President Rockefeller on January 26, 1979, it was most impressive how Vice President Reagan stepped into the Presidency and all its responsibilities and how well he began, from day one, to take charge in this awesome responsibility.

I can tell you, this nation is in good hands with President Reagan at the helm.  To all you viewing these proceedings, I can enthusiastically say that Ronald Reagan deserves your vote on November 4.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, the Vice President of the United States, William Scranton.

Scranton:  Thank you, thank you so much.  

It has been my honor these almost past two years to have worked with President Ronald Reagan.  President Reagan is a remarkable man, dedicated and knowledgeable.  Thank you President Reagan for affording me the opportunity to have worked with you in your administration.  It has been my privilege and honor to serve in the Reagan administration, and to serve the American people.

Ronald Reagan has been a great President and will continue to be a great President.  

The team of Ronald Reagan and Pierre du Pont will do great things for this nation and for this world.  Of that I have no doubt.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, the next Vice President of the United States, Governor Pierre du Pont of the great state of Delaware.

du Pont:  Thank you so much for that welcome.  I am deeply honored.

President Reagan has honored me beyond anything that I would have ever thought by choosing me to run with him on the Republican ticket as Vice President.  President Reagan, thank  you.

Delegates, thank you for confirming me.

I accept the nomination.  I really do.  (referring to the Romney joke)

(audience explodes with laughter)

The Reagan du Pont administration will continue the work begun by those two great Presidents, George Romney and Nelson Rockefeller, policies of peace, prosperity, and the fair treatment of all individuals.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Ronald Reagan.

Reagan:  My friends, thank you, thank you, thank you.  Your welcome is overwhelming and I am most appreciative and gratified.

I accept the nomination.

I would like to begin my remarks tonight by paying tribute to President Romney, and to President Rockefeller.  I have known George Romney for a long time, and he has always impressed me as a man of action, a man of principle, a man of tremendous capability and talent, and a man of remarkable courage.  I have had the privilege of working with President Nelson Rockefeller for two years as Vice President in his administration, and was privileged to witness first hand his hard work and dedication to the betterment of America and mankind in general.

I would like to publicly thank Vice President William Scranton, who has worked with me these past two years, and will continue to work with me until January 1981.  He has been a beacon of strength, a public servant of great knowledge and intelligence and capability, and an absolutely remarkable Vice President.

I am pleased to have on this Republican ticket with me Pierre du Pont as the candidate for Vice President.  He is qualified, capable, and ready.  He will make a great Vice President.

Governor du Pont is a graduate of the Phillips Exeter Academy, Princeton University, and Harvard Law School.  He served honorably in the United States Naval Reserve.

He has served as a member of the Delaware House of Representatives,  six years as a member of the United States House of Representatives, and has been Governor of Delaware since 1977.

Governor du Pont, thank you for joining me on the ticket.

Our administration will be a caring and a compassionate administration.  We will work tirelessly on behalf of Americans from all walks of life, from all ethnic backgrounds, from all faiths, for those of no faith, for all Americans, we will address injustice where we find it.

We will maintain a strong military.  We cannot negotiate from a weak position.  

When we are threatened, we shall respond accordingly and appropriately.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you, and God bless America.    

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2015, 10:32:08 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 12:58:55 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Democratic National Convention, New York City, New York, August 11-14, 1980

Convention Chairman:  Ladies and gentlemen, the next Vice President of the United States, Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of the great state of New York.

Moynihan:  Fellow Democrats, fellow Americans, friends, thank you so much for that welcome.

I would welcome all of you to New York City, my home.

I would like to thank that great American, our candidate for President of the United States of America, Senator Dale Bumpers of the great state of Arkansas, for giving me the privilege of being on our ticket with him as the nominee for Vice President.

I accept the nomination.

Senator Bumpers comes to this point in his career well qualified and well tested to become President of the United States.

He has served our nation valiantly as a United States Marine during World War II.

He is a graduate of the University of Arkansas, and of Northwestern University Law School.

He has served as a special justice of the Arkansas Supreme Court.

Senator Bumpers was a great Governor of Arkansas from 1971 to 1975, and has been a member of the United States Senate since 1975.

And what a great Senator he has been, a tremendous example to all of us in the Senate.

Senator Bumpers and  I will be taking our campaign of hope and renewal across this nation, and we ask all of you to join us in this historic campaign.

Thank you my friends, thank you my fellow Americans.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Convention Chairman:  Ladies and gentlemen, the next President of the United States, Senator Dale Bumpers of the great state of Arkansas.

Bumpers:  Thank you Mr. Chairman, and thank you my fellow Democrats.  And a special thank you to my fellow Americans, all across this great land.

I wish to thank my good friend, Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan for his remarks, and I would like to thank him for joining me on this ticket.  He will be a great Vice President.

Senator Moynihan is superbly qualified to become Vice President of the United States.  

Senator Moynihan is a graduate of the City College of New York.

He served his country with great courage as a member of the United States Navy.

Senator Moynihan graduated from Tuft's University with an M.A. and a Ph.D. in sociology, following which he graduated from the London School of Economics.

He even served on the White House Staff of President George Romney as Counselor to the President for Urban Affairs.

President Romney was so impressed with Daniel that he appointed him as United States Ambassador to India, and then entrusted him with the key position as United States Ambassador to the United Nations.

And most recently, of course, Daniel has been serving as a United States Senator since 1977, right here from the great state of New York.

Even President Romney likes Senator Moynihan.

My friends, Senator Moynihan and I offer America a new beginning, a new hope for the future.  I ask you all to join us, as we build, together, a new America.

Thank you my friends, and may God bless America.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2016, 10:05:19 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Former President George Romney is on the campaign trail 1980, speaking in behalf of the Republican ticket, President Ronald Reagan and Vice Presidential candidate Pierre du Pont.

Question from reporter:

President Romney, Vermont Democratic Senator  Patrick Leahy has referred to you as, and I quote, an elite corporate capitalist.  Do you have any response?

Romney:  Ah, Pat, great guy, hard working Senator.  Gotta love 'im.

You know, I have been called many things, including a western capitalist dog by Leonid Brezhnev.  So I think Pat is throwing me a compliment.  (laughs)  

(laughs all around)      

Reporter:  Mr. President, Mr. President

Romney:  Yes Jake.

Reporter:  Mr. President, are you concerned at all that some have criticized the last two Republican tickets as a rich man's club, with both Rockefeller and du Pont being two of the wealthiest men in the country?

Romney: No, not all.  Regardless of their tremendous wealth, both Nelson and Pierre came to their candidacies eminently prepared and qualified.  Growing up in poverty should not be a hindrance to public service, nor should growing up in privilege and wealth be a hindrance to public service.

Reporter:  Mr. President

Romney:  Yes Diana.

Reporter:  Mr. President, are you lending your considerable prestige and popularity to the Reagan/du Pont campaign because you believe they are in a tough fight?

Romney:  Well, any election is a tough fight, in one way or another.  And thank you for referring to my presence on the campaign with the words prestige and popularity.  Aren't you in a very generous mood today?  (laughs)

(laughs all around)

But you know, I am optimistic about the chances of President Reagan and Vice Presidential candidate Du Pont, and I'll tell you why.  The Reagan/du Pont team have spelled out their platform and policies clearly to the American public.  A platform of growth, a common sense approach to taxes and the economy, a campaign of inclusion, a campaign of maintaining a strong military to protect our people, a campaign of hope and optimism for the future.

The Reagan/du Pont ticket is an absolutely outstanding ticket, proven in the public arena, and ready to serve, both this generation of Americans, and laying a solid foundation for future generations of Americans.

I have every confidence in this ticket.

Thank you my friends.  Now I am on my way to address a campaign rally in what I understand is an overflow crowd at the Scottrade Center.  I don't want to keep 22,000 boisterous Americans waiting, or they may be sending me home sooner than I thought.  (laughs)

(laughs all around)        
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2015, 08:42:38 PM »

1980 Election Results

President Reagan/Governor du Pont                   311
Senator Bumpers/Senator Moynihan                   227

Ronald Reagan wins a full term in his own right.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #206 on: November 06, 2015, 11:43:40 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2015, 12:41:57 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Brief flashback:

Romney home Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, February, 1977, shortly after leaving office as President.

Former President Romney and his wife Lenore are discussing their future.

Lenore:  George, now that you have served two terms as President, I have been contemplating what the future holds for us.  I was thinking of making a run for public office myself.  What would you think of that George?

George:  Lenore, I think that would be wonderful.  I have served in public life for some time, 1963 to 1977 to be exact.  If you wish to spend some time sharing your considerable talents with the people of the country I think that would be a great idea.  What did you have in mind Lenore?

Lenore: Well, as you know, Bob (Republican U.S. Senator from Michigan Robert Griffin) has announced he will not be seeking re-election to the Senate in 1978, as Nelson (President Nelson Rockefeller) has named him to become the new U.S. Attorney General.  That of course means there will be an open seat, and I would like to be the Republican candidate for that seat.

George:  Lenore, I would love to have you serve the people of Michigan in the Senate.  I will campaign for you from one end of the state to the other.  

Lenore:  I appreciate that George, but if I am to win the seat, I will have to do it  on my own effort, and not on your coat tails.  Otherwise, people will say I rode your popularity in Michigan to the Senate.  I would of course like to have you make a few speeches in my behalf.

George:  Ah, wise observation Lenore.  You are absolutely correct.  I will stay mainly in the background, making a few strategic appearances on your behalf.  You know, Detroit City Council President Carl Levin is the front runner for the Democratic Senate nomination. He's a straight talking lawyer, and could be tough to beat.

Lenore:  That's true, but I think I can win.

George:  A positive attitude is helpful Lenore.  It helped me in my electoral career.

November 7, 1978

This is NBC News.  Thank you for joining us.

We take you to our Senate board.  Tom, what are some of the interesting races to keep an eye on tonight?

Well Ben, there are several hotly contested Senate races going on tonight.  

Illinois, where incumbent Republican Senator Charles Percy is in a tough fight with Democrat Alex Seith.

Iowa, Democratic incumbent Dick Clark is in a fierce fight with Republican Roger Jepson.

Kansas, an open seat, Republican Nancy Landon Kassebaum in a tough fight with Democrat William Roy.  

New Mexico, Republican incumbent Pete Demenici  is facing a strong challenge from Democrat Tony Anaya.

Texas, Republican incumbent John Tower is in a very, very close race with Democrat Bob Krueger.

Virginia, an open seat, with Republican John Warner and Democrat Andrew Miller locked in a very close contest.

West Virginia, with Democratic incumbent Jennings Randolph trying to stave off a very strong challenge from Republican Arch Moore.

And in Michigan, a race that has attracted national attention, we have a very tough and close race between Lenore Romney, the wife of former President George Romney, and Carl Levin, the President of Detroit City Council.

Forty minutes later

Ben, we have returns coming in from Michigan.  Lenore Romney has jumped into an early lead over Carl Levin.  A note of caution though, we have yet to hear from Detroit, where Carl Levin is very popular and very well known, and as has been mentioned is the President of Detroit City Council.

More returns, now Levin has taken the lead.  We are starting to hear from Detroit.  As the returns from Detroit continue to come in, this is not good news for Lenore Romney.  Levin is beginning to pile up a lead over Romney.

Ben, back to Michigan, this race is full of surprises.  We are now hearing from the precincts in the suburbs and from rural Michigan.  Now Romney has jumped into the lead.  She is piling up huge pluralities in the suburbs and from the smaller cities and towns, and if this keeps up, we project that Romney will have enough votes to overcome Levins' pluralities in Detroit.  It should be noted as well, that former President Romney has spent the last three days campaigning in the city of Detroit itself on behalf of his wife Lenore, and this appears to have eaten into much of the Levin advantage in Detroit.

Back to you Ben.

Thanks Tom.

NBC News is now ready to make a call, and it is a highly anticipated call as it has been the most high profile and one of the most hotly contested Senate races this year.  NBC news now projects that former First Lady of the United States, wife of former President George Romney, Lenore Romney, will take the Michigan Senate seat.  This will make Lenore Romney the first wife of a United States President to have won election to the United States Senate, or any other office for that matter.

We are projecting the final count to be 52% for Romney and 48% for Levin.

We now take you live to the Lenore Romney headquarters.

Marie, what is it like down there?

Ben, I can hardly hear myself think.  Senator Elect Lenore Romney and President George Romney are expected to arrive any minute now.  Oh, Lenore Romney and her husband are now walking up to the stage.  Here's Lenore Romney.

Thank you so much Michigan.  I am humbled and inspired by the confidence you have shown in me tonight by electing me to the United States Senate.  The people of Michigan shall have my dedication.  I would like to thank my husband George for all his work in this campaign.

I have just a few minutes ago had a very pleasant conversation with Carl Levin, who has most graciously conceded the election.  Thank you Carl for the lively, competitive, and honest campaign you have run.  You have my respect and admiration.

Tonight we can celebrate this victory.  Tomorrow we get to work.

Thank you, God bless Michigan, and God bless America.        
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2015, 11:40:17 AM »

November 14, 1983

This is ABC News.  We now take you live to President Ronald Reagan speaking live from the Oval Office.

President Reagan:

My fellow Americans, in the interests of full disclosure, I come before you tonight to advise that I will not be a candidate for reelection as President of the United States in the 1984 election.  This announcement will allow any potential candidates for the Republican Presidential nomination sufficient time to organize their campaigns.

Thank you, and good evening.

ABC News:

Well, there you have it, President Reagan announcing that he will not be running in 1984.  We now take you live to our man on the ground at the White House, Dan Williams.

Dan, what lies behind  this surprise announcement by the President?

Williams:  Well, we don't know for sure.  Some speculate health concerns, but the truth is, we do not know.  We continue to look into this surprise announcement.  Much of the attention and speculation for the 1984 election now falls on Vice President duPont.  But the Vice President, as I understand, is remaining tight lipped in this whole matter.

ABC:  Thanks Dan.

Former President George Romney, although advised by President Reagan of this announcement the day previous, is watching this drama unfold with a great deal of interest. 

The former President decides then and there to go with his gut feeling and put in a crucial call.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: November 20, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »

Office of Illinois Governor James Thompson

Governor, President George Romney on the line.

Thompson:  What?  Put him through Katherine.  Thanks.

Thompson:  George, what a pleasure to hear from you.

Romney:  Thanks Jim.  As you know, Ron is not running again.  Jim, I'll get right to the point.  You're the man for the job.  You should run for President. 

Thompson?  What?  Are you sure you have the right Jim Thompson?

Thompson and Romney have a good laugh.

Thompson:  George, I am really enjoying my job as Governor of Illinois.  I love working for the people of this state.

Romney:  I loved being Governor of Michigan and working for the people of Michigan.  But I looked at the big picture, and I decided that I could do good work for the people of America, and, in fact, for the people of the world.  And Jim, I believe you have what it takes to lead this nation at this time. 

You know, Jim, in all modesty, I still have a great deal of respect in the nation and in the party, and should you run, you will have my endorsement and support.  Jim, I have gone over name after name, and your name keeps coming to the forefront.  Experience, ability, drive, talent, you have what it takes Jim.

Thompson:  Thanks for your confidence George.  You have really given me something to think about.

Romney:  Jim, talk to Jayne about it, and get back to me.

Thompson:  Thanks George, will do.

Romney:  Talk to you soon.   
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2015, 04:41:47 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2016, 12:09:25 PM by Lincoln Republican »

1984 Election

Republican
Governor Jim Thompson, Illinois                     413
Senator Howard Baker, Tennessee                  

Democratic
Senator Gary Hart, Colorado                           125
Senator Bill Bradley New Jersey
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »

1988 Election

Republican
President Jim Thompson, Illinois                  335
Vice President Howard Baker, Tennessee     

Democratic
Senator Joe Biden, Delaware                       203 
Senator Lawton Chiles, Florida                 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: December 17, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »

1992 Election

Democratic
Senator George Mitchell, Maine                    275
Senator Sam Nunn, Georgia

Republican
Senator Alan Simpson, Wyoming                 263
Senator Richard Lugar, Indiana
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #212 on: December 17, 2015, 05:16:34 PM »

So the GOP controls the White House from 1969 to 1993!?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: December 17, 2015, 05:21:40 PM »

So the GOP controls the White House from 1969 to 1993!?

In keeping with the introduction to this story, first entry, this would be as a result of the George Romney effect.  Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2016, 12:13:53 AM »

An excellent literary work. Will there be more updates? Hoping for a Lenore Romney presidency, followed by Mitt!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »

Mitt Goes Public

May 8, 1993, the library of the Mitt and Ann Romney home, meeting with a group of family, friends, business associates, and Mitt's advisors.

Mitt:  Thanks for coming.  I have been thinking about entering the political field, and wanted to get some feedback from you, because I know you will be honest with me.  I am thinking about challenging Ted Kennedy in next years Senate election.  

Mitt, you know Ted Kennedy is very entrenched, total name recognition, a member of the most famous family in Massachusetts, lots of money to run a campaign, and will do and say anything to keep this Senate seat.  He'd be tough to beat, if not impossible to beat.

Mitt, go for it.  It's about time someone put that relic from the past in his place.

Mitt, let's get down to brass tacks.  What is your gut feeling?

Mitt:  I think it's time the people of Massachusetts had new representation in Washington.  Someone with a new perspective.

Then do it Mitt, do it.  We're with you.      

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #216 on: May 12, 2016, 03:48:00 AM »

Excited to see this resurrected! Mitt '94!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »

Excited to see this resurrected! Mitt '94!

Thank you my friend.

Nice to see someone following this.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2016, 06:47:35 PM by Lincoln Republican »

As Mitt Romney and his staff lie the groundwork for what will no doubt be a bruising, tough Senatorial run against Ted Kennedy, Mitt takes the time to review his mother's Senate career.

Lenore Romney was elected to the United States Senate from Michigan in 1978, serving for one term, 1979-1985, then retiring. She defeated another tough, experienced, and well known candidate, Carl Levin.

Mitt Romney will be attempting to replicate this outcome in his Senate run in Massachusetts.

Mitt reflects on his mother's Senate career..........

Some of the accomplishments of Senator Lenore Romney

Senator Lenore Romney was a strong supporter of the creation of The Department of Education. Over the years, Romney has introduced legislation and amendments to improve education, including an amendment that greatly reduced class sizes to help teachers better focus on the needs of each specific child.

Senator Lenore Romney has directed the Governmental Affairs Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations to investigate whether Department of Energy policies have caused a rise in the price in crude oil. She also led an investigation in 1981 to try to discover the cause of the spike in gasoline prices that summer.

Senator Lenore Romney voted for the Energy Policy Act, a comprehensive energy bill that advanced vehicle technologies, banned drilling in the Great Lakes, improved the electrical grid of the US, and made energy efficiency a component of the United States' energy policy.

Senator Lenore Romney has been working to prevent garbage from Canada, typically about 160 trucks per day, from being disposed of in Michigan.

Senator Lenore Romney authored the Competition in Contracting Act, which has led to significant reductions in federal procurement costs. she also authored the Whistleblower Protection Act, which protected federal employees who expose wasteful and unnecessary practices.

Senator Lenore Romney supported a Patients' Bill of Rights to reduce the ability of managed care organizations to affect medical decisions.

Senator Lenore Romney initiated the Stop Tax Haven Abuse Act against alleged tax havens.

A signature accomplishment of Senator Lenore Romney has been  to sponsor and successfully guide through the Senate is the Reduction In Health Care Costs Act.  This act cuts out waste and fraud in the health care industry.  For example, thanks to the leadership on this issue from Senator Lenore Romney, a comprehensive investigation has been launched to determine why health care equipment is so excessively over priced.  Due to this initiative undertaken by Senator Lenore Romney, these costs have come down tremendously, saving the health care system and the American taxpayers billions of dollars each year.

Mitt thinks to himself

What an exemplary record of service to the people of America my mother has had.  This is truly a remarkable accomplishment.  As well, my grandfather and my dad have given so much to this nation and to the world.  I trust I can be worthy of such a remarkable legacy.      

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2016, 07:10:01 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2016, 07:20:01 PM by Lincoln Republican »

Mitt Announces His Candidacy For U.S. Senate

Thank you my friends, thank you.  It is so heartening to see thousands of you here today.

In what is probably the worst kept secret in Massachusetts, I am here today to announce my candidacy to represent the great state of Massachusetts in the United States Senate.

Sustained cheering

You will see the love of my life, my dear wife Ann, and our family behind me on the stage.  

Sustained cheering

My friends, I wish at this time to thank Senator Ted Kennedy for his five terms representing Massachusetts in the United States Senate.

Clapping

But let me also say, the time has come for new and fresh representation for Massachusetts.  And let me be clear, this is NOT a Kennedy Senate seat.  This is the PEOPLE'S Senate Seat, and I will be representing the people, all the people, of Massachusetts.  I will not be beholden to any special interests, entrenched in Massachusetts society for the past thirty years.  

Sustained cheering

You know my record as a Corporate Chief Executive.  I have a record of creating jobs, and that will be my priority representing the people of Massachusetts, jobs for the people of Massachusetts.

Sustained cheering

And I will not rest until this state, and this nation, has achieved pay equity for men and women.  Women must be paid equally to what men are paid for the same job.  

Sustained cheering  

I will fight for affordable housing.  I will fight to ensure our people receive proper medical care,  I will fight for the rights of our veterans, I will fight to protect our environment.  

Sustained cheering

These are just a few of the things I will do representing you in the Senate.  

The time has come for new leadership for Massachusetts in the Senate, for young, dynamic, and effective leadership.

Sustained cheering

With your help, my friends, we will go on to victory in November.

Thank you my friends, God bless Massachusetts, and God bless America.

Sustained cheering    
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »

The Senate Debate

Gentlemen, I would like to welcome the two of you to this Senatorial debate this evening, Senator Edward Kennedy and CEO of Bain and Company Mitt Romney.

Gentlemen, we will begin with opening Remarks.  Senator Kennedy, you will go first.

Kennedy:  Thank you.  First of all, let me say how great it is to be here this evening to talk with the people of Massachusetts and to debate the issues with Mr. Romney.

My thirty one years in the Senate representing the people of Massachusetts has given me the experience and the knowledge to deliver for Massachusetts.

Mr. Romney

Romney:  Thank you.  And thank you to the sponsors of this debate for making this event possible.  I am most pleased to have the opportunity to debate the issues with Senator Kennedy this evening, and to have a dialogue with the great people of Massachusetts in presenting my case as to why I believe I  am worthy of their vote.

Kennedy:  If re-elected, the people have my word that they can continue to depend on the same people first representation that I have provided for these past thirty one years.

Romney:  If my opponent promises the same representation that he has provided for the past thirty one years, then the people of Massachusetts are in big trouble.

Unemployment rates in this state have risen dramatically since Senator Kennedy has been in the Senate.  I will bring jobs, meaningful mobs, to this state.  My field of expertise is jobs, and I will be using my professional and business experience to work for the people of Massachusetts in the United States Senate.

Kennedy:  Mr. Romney, you have cost more jobs than you have created.

Romney:  Not so Senator.  A look at the record shows we have created twice as many jobs as opposed to jobs lost.

Kennedy:  You can't be trusted Mr. Romney.  Your business record is simply too unstable.

Romney:  The people of Massachusetts can trust me more than they can trust someone who cheated on a university exam by paying someone else to take the exam for you, Senator.

And on and on the candidates went for two hours, debating the issues and exchanging barbs.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2016, 11:57:03 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2016, 03:40:00 PM by Lincoln Republican »

November 8, 1994 Election Night

This is CNN

Good evening, to all those who have just joined us.  I'm Bernard Shaw, and we have all the latest of this off year election night.

The most high profile, and one of the most expensive Senate campaigns this season, possibly any season, is taking place in Massachusetts, where the brother of President John F Kennedy and the son of President George Romney who is also the grandson of President Gaskell Romney and the son of Senator Lenore Romney, have been squaring off against each other for the past several months.

Here we have two powerful political dynasties doing battle with one another.

We take you live to Kennedy Headquarters and to our own Julie Montrose.  Julie, what's the latest there at the Kennedy headquarters?

Julie:  Thanks Bernie.  Well, as you can see, this place is packed, and the people here appear to be upbeat and optimistic.  But I have had sources in the Kennedy campaign, who choose to remain anonymous, tell me they are a bit nervous going into election night.  They were not expecting such a determined and well funded campaign as that ran by Mitt Romney and his campaign.

Bernie:  Thanks Julie.  I think we're in for an interesting night.

Julie:  Indeed we are Bernie.

Bernie:  We now take you live to Romney headquarters, with CNN reporter Lars Christensen.  Lars, what's going on down there at the Romney headquarters?

Lars:  Well Bernie, as you see behind me, this place is filled with enthusiastic Romney supporters, eagerly awaiting the first returns of this election night.  I have had those close  to Romney express cautious optimism about tonight.

Bernie:  Thanks Lars.

Bernie:  We have the first returns coming in from the hotly contested Massachusetts Senate race.  John, what's the latest with these returns, and what do they tell us?

John:  Well Bernie, preliminary results show Kennedy in the lead, and exit polling tells us that this is going to be a close race.  Ted Kennedy has never had such a tough Senate race in all of his 31 years in the Senate.  And these early results would appear to bear that out.  Bernie, Kennedy is currently leading, but the bad news for Kennedy is that these results are coming in from a  county that is a strong Kennedy county, and Kennedy only has a small lead.  

Bernie, we now see some results starting to come in from areas that are expected to be good for Romney, and Romney is piling up huge leads from these areas.  If Kennedy has any chance of winning this contest, he is going to have to do better in his strong areas.

Bernie:  John, I see the latest results are now showing Kennedy taking a small lead over Romney.

John:  That's right Bernie.  These strong Kennedy areas are coming in for Kennedy with more favorable results than previously.  

Bernie:  John, now Romney is taking the lead.  What is going on there?

John:  Bernie, this is a close election for sure.  What is going on is that the Romney campaign has been very smart.  They have targeted areas where they know they have support.  They have been very well funded, and have been very aggressive.  

Two hours later

Bernie:  Well, the Massachusetts Senate race has gone down to the wire, and we have not been able to make a call until now.  But CNN can now call the Massachusetts Senate race for Republican Mitt Romney.

John, your analysis?

John:  Bernie, yes, this has been a very close race.  98% if the results are in, resulting in a narrow win for Mitt Romney.  This victory for Romney is as a result of Romney being able to hold the Kennedy lead in strong Kennedy areas to a reasonable level.  At the same time, Romney has piled up impressive leads in more favorable Romney areas.  That has never happened with Kennedy during his entire career in any of his Senate races.  And don't forget, Romney promised new and dynamic representation for Massachusetts in the Senate.  He was the young and capable executive going up against the entrenched incumbent, and the people chose the opportunity for change.

Bernie:  Thanks John.  We now take you live to the Romney campaign headquarters.  Romney is expected to speak at any moment.

Mitt Romney:  (family behind him on the stage)

Thank you Massachusetts.  

I have just a few moments ago had a very good conversation with Senator Kennedy, who has graciously conceded the election, and has extended his congratulations and best wishes to me and to my family in this victory.  Thank you Senator Kennedy.

I publicly extend my thanks to my wife Ann and our family for all the sacrifices they have made and all the work they have put into this campaign.  I could not have done it without their support.  

To the people of Massachusetts, I have heard your concerns for this state and for this nation, and I will act on them.  Pay equity, affordable housing, veterans rights, environmental protection, affordable and sustainable health care.  The list goes on and on.  

Massachusetts has opted for change, and I am ready to deliver that change.

Remember, you have a friend in me.

God bless Massachusetts and God bless America.      
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »

Nice! Just checking - is Lenore still a senator?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2016, 11:15:39 PM »

Lenore served only one term in the U.S. Senate, 1979-1985.  She was 77 after one term. 

I didn't want to have her working in the Senate until she was 83 years old. 

I think Lenore and Mitt may be the only mother and son to have both served in the Senate.

Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #224 on: June 03, 2016, 02:24:07 PM »

Lenore served only one term in the U.S. Senate, 1979-1985.  She was 77 after one term. 

I didn't want to have her working in the Senate until she was 83 years old. 

I think Lenore and Mitt may be the only mother and son to have both served in the Senate.

Smiley

The Longs of Louisiana?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies