SENATE BILL: De-Registration Act (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:21:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: De-Registration Act (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: De-Registration Act (Vetoed)  (Read 5213 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2011, 11:28:28 PM »
« edited: February 16, 2011, 09:10:19 PM by Snowguy716 »

Sponsor(s):  Senators Lief, Snowguy

Deregistration Act

1) All Atlasian citizens shall have the right to deregister from the official voting roll by informing the Registrar General by public post.

2) After seven days since the public notice of deregistration have passed, the citizen's registration will be removed from the voting roll. The citizen may inform the Registrar General by public post that he/she rescinds his/her deregistration before the seven days have passed without penalty or change in registration status.

3) Any person who has deregistered shall no longer be allowed to vote in any federal poll or win election to any office in Atlasia. If a deregistered person is elected to any office in Atlasia, the office shall be declared vacant.

4) Any person who has deregistered shall not be able to register again in Atlasia for sixty days following his/her deregistration.

5) Any deregistered person who reregisters remains bound by Article V, Section 2, Clause 6 of the constitution and must reregister in the state and region he/she was registered in before deregisteration unless the appropriate amount of time has passed since his/her last move.

Deregistration Act

1) All Atlasian citizens shall have the right to deregister from the official voting roll by informing the Registrar General by public post.

2) After seven days since the public notice of deregistration have passed, the citizen's registration will be removed from the voting roll. The citizen may inform the Registrar General by public post that he/she rescinds his/her deregistration before the seven days have passed without penalty or change in registration status.

3) Any person who has deregistered shall no longer be allowed to vote in any federal poll or win election to any office in Atlasia. If a deregistered person is elected to any office in Atlasia, the office shall be declared vacant.

4) Any person who has deregistered shall not be able to register again in Atlasia for sixty days following his/her deregistration.

5) Any deregistered person who reregisters remains bound by Article V, Section 2, Clause 6 of the constitution and must reregister in the state and region he/she was registered in before deregisteration unless the appropriate amount of time has passed since his/her last move.

6) Any person who deregisters while serving a punishment following a criminal judgement shall remain bound to this punishment once he/she registers again in Atlasia. The time after re-registration during which said person remains bound to said punishment shall be the same as the time said person would have remained bound to it following his deregistration.

Have at it!
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »

I'd like to offer an amendment, or atleast see one in similar form proposed:

6) No registered citizen may de-register whilst being a candidate for office.

7) The above clause only applies after the deadline for candidacy declaration.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:48:53 PM »

"No registered citizen who is a declared candidate for office may deregister after the deadline for candidacy declaration." would be a more concise way to say that, I think.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:51:34 PM »

"No registered citizen who is a declared candidate for office may deregister after the deadline for candidacy declaration." would be a more concise way to say that, I think.

Yeah, that's much more appealing IMO.

So the amendment is... (Just to clear it up with the PPT - rescinding my previous amendment)

6) No registered citizen who is a declared candidate for office may deregister after the deadline for candidacy declaration.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:34 AM »

Is Section 4 really necessary?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 02:15:35 AM »

I also questioned this with Lief earlier.  I think it should be stricken from the bill and replaced with a much shorter period.  This would allow people that are making legitimate changes of account on the Atlas site to deregister and re-register in Atlasia under the new account.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 02:16:34 AM »

The following amendment has been offered by DallasFan:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Does the sponsor accept?

I see no problem with it.  How about you, Lief?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 02:36:59 AM »

...And between the election's end, presumably? Tongue
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 03:13:01 AM »

Just want to say I wholeheartedly support this initiative.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:58 AM »

I fully support the bill, as well as Dallasfan's amendment.

Not only necessary. I think it's one of the most important sections.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 01:42:08 PM »

I accept Dallasfan's amendment as friendly.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 02:43:17 PM »

Just want to say I wholeheartedly support this initiative.

As do I, I think it is high time to allow people to choose whether they wish to be registered or not.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:11 PM »

As a former RG, my problem with this is the complication of region changing laws.  The RG cannot simply delete the record of the de-registered.  A separate list of de-registered accounts would have to be maintained, with the date of last region change.

I would like to hear from the current RG on this.  Hans, any thoughts?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »

That's a fair point that I hadn't thought about. I'd also like to hear input from the RG.

Also clause 4 should be amended to read:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I accept my amendment as friendly. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:22 PM »

As a former RG, my problem with this is the complication of region changing laws.  The RG cannot simply delete the record of the de-registered.  A separate list of de-registered accounts would have to be maintained, with the date of last region change.

I would like to hear from the current RG on this.  Hans, any thoughts?

I've proposed the idea of a "deregistered voter roll" some days ago. Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »

De-registration just seems like it has the potential for so many complicated legal technicalities...
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »

I am reposting this to reflect the change to section 4.  If anybody has any objections, please let me know.  Smiley
Deregistration Act

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

I'd like to offer the following amendment as friendly:  (I know it's confusing)

4) 
I)  Any person who has deregistered shall not be allowed to register again in Atlasia for fifteen (15) days following his/her deregistration.
II)  Any forum member previously deregistered in Atlasia may reregister under a new account provided the account is approved by the forum administrator(s) and the forum member makes their intent publicly known in Atlasia.  The fifteen day waiting period still applies in such cases.
III)  An exception to the waiting period shall be made for valid, non-sanctioned posters who involuntarily lose access to their accounts and must register a new account with the Atlas forum.  The member must state publicly in Atlasia their former account name when registering again.  The old account shall immediately be stricken from the registered voter rolls and re-registration under the old account is prohibited except upon deregistration of the new account pursuant to sections 1 and 2 of this bill and restoration of access to the old account by the Atlas forum site administrator(s). 
IV)  Clause III of Section 4 of this act does not apply to banned or otherwise muted or sanctioned members of the Atlas forum.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »

I)  Any person who has deregistered shall not be allowed to register again in Atlasia for fifteen (15) days following his/her deregistration.

Nope, I support the 60 days period.

And sections III) and IV) are not directly related to de-registration and thus don't have their place on this bill.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

What if we allowed voters to instead inform the RG they wished to be listed as "Inactive voter - Do not contact" on the census list, since the #1 concern is getting PMs asking them to vote. Of course, Teddy was especially bad in this regard and is now gone, but it will still happen to a lesser degree I'm sure.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »

As a former RG, my problem with this is the complication of region changing laws.  The RG cannot simply delete the record of the de-registered.  A separate list of de-registered accounts would have to be maintained, with the date of last region change.

I would like to hear from the current RG on this.  Hans, any thoughts?

Fritz you're right. When it is possible to De-Register, then the RG must make a extra list for all who are de-registrated. In this list must stand all dates of region change and when he left Atlasia.

I think there is no need for a De-Registration. Who wants to leave Atlasia need only 3 times not to vote.
However, I'm open for a law like this, but it must be simple as possible.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2011, 03:40:54 PM »

Maybe we could get rid of clause 5 and let them re-register wherever they want. I don't think it's a huge exploit that they can move early if they can't vote at all for sixty days.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »

Nope, I support the 60 days period.

And sections III) and IV) are not directly related to de-registration and thus don't have their place on this bill.

I fail to see your logic on thinking sections III and IV are not directly related to de-registration.  Whether the intent behind de-registration is a voluntary choice to cease participation in Atlasia or because you are changing accounts in Atlasia doesn't matter... the member must still de-register and then reregister.  Another of the main points of this bill outside of allowing members to cease activity in Atlasia was to prevent a case like Mint/Ghost_white's from occurring again.

And please, remember to keep a friendly tone on the senate floor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »

I fail to see your logic on thinking sections III and IV are not directly related to de-registration.  Whether the intent behind de-registration is a voluntary choice to cease participation in Atlasia or because you are changing accounts in Atlasia doesn't matter... the member must still de-register and then reregister.  Another of the main points of this bill outside of allowing members to cease activity in Atlasia was to prevent a case like Mint/Ghost_white's from occurring again.

I think the problem of accounts deserve to be dealt with separately. Allowing people to leave Atlasia is one thing ; allowing people to leave their old account and create a new identity is something totally different that shall be dealt with a specific bill.
As for the content of your proposals itself, I have several problems with it. Above all, do we really want to see people acting like Mint did ? Should it be normal for people to start a new account for no reason ? I think once you have an account, this shall remain yours. Of course there are exceptions, like people who were banned a long time ago and want to be given a second chance. If I well remember, it was Teddy's case. However, this is not Mint's case, and if we start accepting people coming back with new accounts just for the sake of changing, this has the potential to cause trouble. But again, this should be discussed in a specific bill.

And would you like to explain me what is wrong with my tone, please ? Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2011, 07:41:46 PM »

I can see putting those issues into their own bill just to be safe.  But I don't see the problem with allowing members to re-register after a waiting period.  If the new account is approved by the site administrator, then I don't think we should be legislating otherwise in Atlasia.

Of course random new accounts should be discouraged... and I think having a waiting period is discouragement enough.

As far as tone.. just ignore what I said.  You were just very curt in your last post and I thought maybe you were angry or annoyed.  But it's most likely just a combination of text being emotionless and english not being your first language.

But still.. it applies to everyone:  Keep the debate lively and civil!  In case you missed it, my gavel is not the same as the one NCY used.  Mine is much much bigger and hurts a lot more when I thump you on the head with it for bad behavior.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies