Pope John Paul II to become Saint John Paul
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope John Paul II to become Saint John Paul
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Agree or Disagree
Agree

Disagree

Don't care

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Pope John Paul II to become Saint John Paul  (Read 2955 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »

Don't care. I will never refer to any person as a saint anyway (even those who were Freedom Fighters), unless there is a place named after them (It'd be kind of weird if I referred to the place to the east as just "Paul".)

It would be really funny if you did, though. You could call St. Cloud "Cloud", too.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »

None of my business; I'm not a Catholic and have no interest in becoming one.

Agreed.......I'm probably in the minority here but I rather liked him......
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »

Infallibility isn't that hard a concept, Dibble.  The Papacy is infallible when relating official doctrine and dogma out of necessity, because, were it not, the Pope could lead his whole flock into damnation.  It would simply not make sense for half of Christendom to be condemned to Hell for following the word of a misguided Pope, so any official pronouncement of the Pope is infallible.  This does not relate to anything outside his public capacity (having an affair or whatever has nothing to do with him in his capacity as Pope).  This...isn't that complicated a thing.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »

Infallibility isn't that hard a concept, Dibble.  The Papacy is infallible when relating official doctrine and dogma out of necessity, because, were it not, the Pope could lead his whole flock into damnation.  It would simply not make sense for half of Christendom to be condemned to Hell for following the word of a misguided Pope, so any official pronouncement of the Pope is infallible.  This does not relate to anything outside his public capacity (having an affair or whatever has nothing to do with him in his capacity as Pope).  This...isn't that complicated a thing.

Not so much complicated as silly, but whatever.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 10:48:35 PM »

I never said it was a hard or complicated thing - I understand the concept, but the way in which it's done as I understand it is too convenient.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 04:24:09 AM »

Very strongly agree.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »

I liked that he advocated for political freedom, I hated that he kept the Church socially in the dark ages... on balance...

couldn't care less..
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies