Charles Lindbergh
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:05:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Charles Lindbergh
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Charles Lindbergh  (Read 893 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:30 PM »

While going around my house, I found a book titled "Lindbergh". Given that I'm already trying to finish a number of books, I haven't even started reading it yet. However, I read the description on the book jacket as well as looked at all the pictures in the sections. Some of the stuff was interesting. Including:
-Not only was Lindbergh isolationist and most likely racist to some extent, but he was fascinated with Nazy Germany and visited there six times between 1936 and 1938.
-Lindbergh has been described by the author as being the first national celebrity and the most photographed man of the time period, so much that the only place he found peace in was Europe, where he could travel as an unknown.

Politically, there were also a couple of interesting facts:
-His father, Charles August Lindbergh, was a Republican Congressman from Minnesota from 1907 to 1917, and at the time of his death in 1924, was running for Governor of Minnesota as the nominee of the Minnesota-Farmer-Labor Party.
-His father-in-law, Dwight Whitney Morrow, was a classmate and friend of Calvin Coolidge in college (a connection which would re-appear in later life); worked with Coolidge on aviation policy, heading the Morrow Board, which would result in the creation of the US Army Aircorps; was United States Ambassador to Mexico (1927-1930), and United States Senator from New Jersey (December 30, 1930-October 5, 1931), the position at which he would serve until his death.

Looking at that, it seems Lindbergh would have been politically inclined to at least some degree, and it surprised me. Reading the book seems like it'd be very interesting, learning about aviation and politics of the era.

Any other interesting facts would be welcome.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:50:39 AM »

He seriously considered a Presidential bid in 1940, and was the symbolic leader of the "America First" Committee straight through 1941 (opposing American involvement in the war).

He gave this speech in September of 1941 (less than three months before America entered the war):

http://www.charleslindbergh.com/americanfirst/speech.asp

Click that link, you'll be quite startled.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:49 PM »

They say America First but they mean America Next (ie, to fall under the Fascist jackboot), as the joke went.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:21 PM »

They say America First but they mean America Next (ie, to fall under the Fascist jackboot), as the joke went.

Heh heh. Smiley
Mikestone8
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:31:20 AM »

The usual thing. Someone can be a great aviator, a great general, a great actress or indeed a great many things - and still be a total klutz where politics are concerned. So it goes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies