Lincoln, Conservatism, and Liberalism (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:49:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Lincoln, Conservatism, and Liberalism (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Lincoln, Conservatism, and Liberalism  (Read 8452 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 15, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »

People often say that the Republican Party got away from being "The Party of Lincoln" when it was taken over by Conservatism. My question is: "How was Lincoln Liberal?" I have virtually no knowledge of his policies outside of slavery and tarrifs, so I would appreciate input.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »

Lincoln was most certainly a Liberal within the context of nineteenth century politics, much like every American politician of his day that didn't own slaves/sympathise with those that did.

Hamilton didn't own slaves, and I think today he is consistently considered a conservative.

But i'd consider Lincoln a Liberal because he pushed for nationalization of the railroads, created the first income tax, was against free trade (but I suppose back than conservatism was against that in general.) and generally meddled in the affairs of the economy, ex. the Homestead Act. Not to mention his suspension of Habeas Corpus, and invading the south.

Well I don't know about everything else, but you can't insult the man for invading the South. They attempted to secede, and I think Lincoln made the right decision there.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:43:42 PM »

I went to his wikipedia page, and to my surprise I saw the only political experience he had before President was one term in the US House of Representatives. I had always assumed he was a Senator.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:49:20 PM »

I went to his wikipedia page, and to my surprise I saw the only political experience he had before President was one term in the US House of Representatives. I had always assumed he was a Senator.

He ran for the Senate but lost.  He also served in the Illinois legislature for several years. 

Well, I don't really count campaigns or terms in a state legislature as experience.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »

Also, how were the Democrats different? Were they the more Conservative party?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:53:06 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 09:44:43 AM by Cathcon »

From Lincoln's first annual message to Congress:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That, while it can sound Conservative in one light, could sound Populist in another. It depends on who he's referring to. If he's referring to the welfare state, then yes it is Conservative. However, if he's referring to the bankers, the bosses, and the employers, it is Populist (or at least by my definition).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »

Support of whiggish business-friendly governmental implements of the American System (infrastructure, protective tariff, central bank) would not be considered "liberal" in a 19th century context.
Of course 19th century liberalism has nothing to do with the current American definition of liberalism.

At their hearts, the Republican party has remained the party of economic individualism and the Democratic party has remained the party of political individualism.  They have done so while essentially wriggling around on almost every other issue, especially on the scope and role of government intervention in economic affairs.

How can you be the Party of economic individualism, while changing on the role of government in the economy?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies