insider scoop from Newsweek
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:56:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  insider scoop from Newsweek
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: insider scoop from Newsweek  (Read 8190 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:38:47 PM »

One thing I always love to read after each presidential election is the "special issue" on the campaign that was that comes out just after the election.  The reporters are granted special access to the campaigns on the condition that they don't print their story until after the campaign is over.  I just finished reading the online version of Newsweek's issue, which begins here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6407226/site/newsweek/

It certainly paints a picture of the Kerry campaign being in a perpetual state of disarray.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 01:29:49 AM »

I think it was pretty clear they were in disarray most of the time.
NHPolitico

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 01:36:29 PM »

According to Newsweek magazine, "Kerry's [Vietnam War] diary included mention of a meeting with some North Vietnamese terrorists in Paris."

John Edwards was "flabbergasted" by the news, Newsweek said. "Let me get this straight," he told campaign staffers. "He met with terrorists? Oh, that's good."
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 04:01:30 PM »

John Edwards was "flabbergasted" by the news, Newsweek said. "Let me get this straight," he told campaign staffers. "He met with terrorists? Oh, that's good."

Good'old Jonny Boy Smiley he better make somthing of himself over the next few years and give up on running in 2008... as i've said he should go back to NC, and network like hell for the next four years and look to replace Easley in 2008 and then run in 2012 or 2016.   
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:54:38 PM »

Good'old Jonny Boy Smiley he better make somthing of himself over the next few years and give up on running in 2008... as i've said he should go back to NC, and network like hell for the next four years and look to replace Easley in 2008 and then run in 2012 or 2016.   

I don't know why Edwards vacated his Senate seat he may have held on

Dave
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 02:19:41 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2004, 10:59:01 PM by Tredrick »

Dave

His re-elect numbers in NC were very weak.  The more time he spent campaigning for President the better he did.  The more time he spent in NC the worse he did.

He just did the math and figured his best bet was to run for President and hope to get on the ticket.  If he came to NC to run for Senate the odds were he would end up losing a Senate race, which hurts his political future more than losing as VP.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »

Dave

He thought he could become Vice President of the United States Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 07:43:55 AM »

This is really good news - with what was generally agreed to be a poor candidate, a useless campaign, on our side, and 9/11, incumbency, fear, and hatred on the other side - we still got 48% of the vote and a rather large number of electoral votes.  Not a bad base to build upon. 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 08:07:20 AM »

we still got 48% of the vote and a rather large number of electoral votes.  \. 

"we" -I still find this hilarious that only a few months ago you were singing the praises of Rick Santorum and John Ashcroft.  Saul of Tarsus has nothing on you,
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 08:30:15 AM »

"we" -I still find this hilarious that only a few months ago you were singing the praises of Rick Santorum and John Ashcroft.  Saul of Tarsus has nothing on you,

How long before he switches to a Yellow or Green avatar then?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 02:50:20 PM »

Believe me, I'll be out of the Democratic avatar the minute I see them pandering to the religious. 
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 07:52:47 PM »

Opebo...go watch Kerry's performance in the third debate again.

If that wasn't pandering to the religious, I don't know what was.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 03:04:15 AM »

After last weeks election, Nancy Pelosi was quoting scripture for crying out loud.
Oh no, better call the ACLU!!!
What I find interesting is almost every newspaper or mag now has an article about how the Democrats are at a crossroad- should they be more religious?  That right there is enough not to vote for them because that is pretty insincere.  And you have not lived until you heard John Edwards in southeast Missouri claim that Kerry was a conservative.

I HATE Nancy F***iNG! Pelosi and I HATE the God Dame Liberal, Elitist, Know it all, Condesending, SOBs at the ACLU!

Sorry the two things i hate most of all in politcs to day got mentioned... provocats this kind of reaction within me Smiley   
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 07:34:30 AM »

The article makes clear Kerry was a bad candidate who would have been a great president
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 02:54:27 PM »

Believe me, I'll be out of the Democratic avatar the minute I see them pandering to the religious. 

umm...earth to opebo.  what do you think the dems are doing in black churches?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 03:06:41 PM »

umm...earth to opebo.  what do you think the dems are doing in black churches?

Hmm... excellent point, WalterMitty. Perhaps opebo has simply forgotten that.

I'd say that the few religious who do vote Democratic for racial or economic reasons are not the predominant influence in the party.  The Christian Right is far and away the predominant group in the Republican Pary.  So perhaps pander was the wrong word - while the Dems may pander - rather deceptively thank goodness - the Republicans are totally controlled by the religious.
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 01:54:49 PM »

^^ Or perhaps the religious are totally controlled by the Republicans...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 02:35:22 AM »

If Edwards ever runs for President, all we need to do is show the tape of him debating Cheney over and over again.  People will remember what a light-wieght he is.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 02:44:10 AM »

If Edwards ever runs for President, all we need to do is show the tape of him debating Cheney over and over again.  People will remember what a light-wieght he is.

I doubt that tape would be all that damaging. According to the polls, Edwards managed to score at least close to a draw.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2004, 06:36:14 PM »

he did better than Bush did in the first debate, that's for sure.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2004, 09:05:38 PM »

It's kinda sad Bush got only 286 EV's against such a bad campaign and a bad candidate. I guess the Kerry people did something right.
GoldenSt8r
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2004, 01:00:20 AM »

It's kinda sad Bush got only 286 EV's against such a bad campaign and a bad candidate. I guess the Kerry people did something right.

I wouldn't credit the Kerry people.  No, Bush got the majority of the EVs despite a 4 year long 'Anybody but Bush' campaign waged by Moveon.org and the rest of the Soros funded 527s.  How much did he donate?  Was it $24 million?  Heh!  Oh, let's not forget the efforts of  Michael Moore and his the cult following, or Bruce Springsteen, or the pretty boy from Titanic.  All that effort, all the protesting, all that anger, all that hate, and Kerry still lost. 
DaleC76
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2004, 10:28:17 AM »

^^ Speaking of Soros, here's a great magazine cover.  Smiley

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 11:28:18 AM »

^^ Speaking of Soros, here's a great magazine cover.  Smiley

Something tells me Soros won't miss $27million. It's like a dime to us guys

Dave
Red Button
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 02:31:22 PM »

Wasn't Newsweek the one with the crazy poll that had Bush ahead 11?  They're probably biased
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies