US: House Redistricting Massachusetts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:43:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US: House Redistricting Massachusetts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: US: House Redistricting Massachusetts  (Read 34947 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:20 PM »

Earlier today, I submitted a proposed map to the Massachusetts Legislative Commission on Redistricting. In it, I suggested that a district be created for the Metrowest region. The area between I-495 and I-95 (Route 128) is a genuine community of interest -- one currently split between five districts in the existing 2000 draw.

The need for such a district is clear, as no single congressman currently lives in the purple area. Or really, anywhere near it.

Though it is likely more Republican than any Democrat would prefer, the odds of the district electing a GOP congresscritter are still next to zero.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »

What is the PVI?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »

That's a tough question, since Dave's Redistricting App doesn't have data for Massachusetts like that.

Here are some facts, though:

It contains only three towns that went for McCain: Wrentham, Walpole, and Norfolk, all in the southen part of the district. All went to him by very small margins -- either 50 or 51%.

The northern part of the district is incredibly Democratic. Framingham, probably the largest of the towns in the district, went 67% Obama; he got all the way up to 76% in Lincoln.

I'd guess this district is D+10 on the whole. The real danger to Democrats is simply the fact that this district contains, almost in its entirity, a "safe Republican" State Senate district. Sen. Richard Ross (R) could run here with an actual voter base.

You could probably make this safer for Dems by taking more of Middlesex and giving up more of the quieter, Southern part of the district.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:11 AM »

That's a tough question, since Dave's Redistricting App doesn't have data for Massachusetts like that.

It contains only three towns that went for McCain: Wrentham, Walpole, and Norfolk, all in the southen part of the district. All went to him by very small margins -- either 50 or 51%.

The northern part of the district is incredibly Democratic. Framingham, probably the largest of the towns in the district, went 67% Obama; he got all the way up to 76% in Lincoln.

I'd guess this district is D+10 on the whole. The real danger to Democrats is simply the fact that this district contains, almost in its entirity, a "safe Republican" State Senate district. Sen. Richard Ross (R) could run here with an actual voter base.

You could probably make this safer for Dems by taking more of Middlesex and giving up more of the quieter, Southern part of the district.

What would that do to your CD4?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2011, 12:57:05 PM »

What would that do to your CD4?

My new CD04 is less Democratic because it doesn't take in Brookline or Newton, but it's more Republican because it doesn't take in as many Plymouth County towns at the old one did. You've probably looking at a wash.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

I note that you've put Frank, Markey, and Capuano in the same district. I'm okay with this, mainly because it makes sense from a community of interest standpoint and Frank could easily just move to New Bedford, where somewhat strangely he's more popular than he is in his own area anyway (or, at least, just as much so), and Markey to Natick or someplace (or he could retire, but I don't particularly care to lose Markey).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2011, 09:13:22 AM »

I note that you've put Frank, Markey, and Capuano in the same district. I'm okay with this, mainly because it makes sense from a community of interest standpoint and Frank could easily just move to New Bedford, where somewhat strangely he's more popular than he is in his own area anyway (or, at least, just as much so), and Markey to Natick or someplace (or he could retire, but I don't particularly care to lose Markey).

While there's no constitutional mandate for them to do so, Frank could move south into CD4; Markey moves to CD3; and Capuano stays in CD7. Keating may need to move too -- his hometown is split between CD8 and 9, but we could easily play around with the lines to save him the trouble (in exchange for a higher deviation -- currently, it's 4 voters).

Olver and Neal are put in the same CD in the west, but really, according to Sen. Rosenberg, that's a foregone conclusion.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:06 PM »

Today, I gave testimony to the MA Joint Committee on Redistricting. I submitted a proposed redistricting plan for Massachusetts to the committee. I fear it's a bit too common sense to be appreciated, but someone needs to be out there advocating for a decent set of lines.

This is pretty much the only other place in the world that would care what I have to say on the topic, so ... for your reading enjoyment, there it is.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »

Bravo for doing more than just bitching about things on the web.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #84 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:25 PM »

"well-serviced by the MBTA" LOLOLOLOL *crying*
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:27 PM »

Well. You know what I meant there, anyway.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Sorry, I got bumped on the head by a big chunk of my property value falling off.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »

Sorry, I got bumped on the head by a big chunk of my property value falling off.

Go to bed early, and fall 2018 will be here before you know it.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »

Got a phone call from a Democratic State Rep (on the Committee) about the plan I submitted. He was remarkably enthusiastic about something we both knew wouldn't happen.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #89 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

Got a phone call from a Democratic State Rep (on the Committee) about the plan I submitted. He was remarkably enthusiastic about something we both knew wouldn't happen.

Was he from the Metrowest? Perhaps he's looking to become a Congressman.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:59 PM »

Come on, man, you know better than to suggest that the VRA is going to require a 48% white, 52% non-white district with no minority making up more than 20% of that 52%.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2011, 08:44:35 PM »

Come on, man, you know better than to suggest that the VRA is going to require a 48% white, 52% non-white district with no minority making up more than 20% of that 52%.

Shhhh.

(I'd be surprised if the final map doesn't have a minority-majority district, in any case. It's too easy to draw without significantly impacting Democratic chances elsewhere. Minority populations grew way faster than the white population did.)

Was he from the Metrowest? Perhaps he's looking to become a Congressman.

He's from Arlington.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2011, 04:37:04 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2011, 04:40:02 AM by SayNotoJonHuntsman »

Isn't Capuano's district currently drawn to satisfy VRA? I believe Whites are only 48% in it.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »

No, it just happened that way when you split Boston into a conservative Dem largely Irish-American district and then put everything else in with Cambridge and Somerville. There was nothing related to VRA in its mapping.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2011, 08:57:35 AM »

It's rather easy to create a minority-majority district in Massachusetts without otherwise endangering any incumbents. In fact, just about any district that includes Jamaica Plain, Ashmont, Mattapan, and Dorchester is going to wind up being minority-majority or close to it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2011, 01:48:54 PM »

Lynch and Keating.

http://www.dotnews.com/litdrop/2011/rep-lynch-v-rep-keating-2012

MORAN: I think the people who are talking that way are probably getting that from -- we have five Congressmen that sit in very powerful positions. We have a woman in Niki Tsongas; we have the Eighth Congressional District, which is the majority minority district. So if you take all those, and you consider those are the ones we have to keep, you’re left with Congressman Lynch, Congressman Keating and Congressman Tierney. And just by geography, Congressman Lynch and Congressman Keating seem to be the two that have to run against – if you use that as the principles. So that I think is where that is coming from.

Curious to leave Tsongas alone.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2011, 02:51:05 PM »

They talking about drawing Quincy into Lynch's district, which makes zero sense if your plan is to eliminate one of their districts. You still have the rest of the 10th. The only way to make this work is to divide up Lynch's district.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: August 18, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »

They talking about drawing Quincy into Lynch's district, which makes zero sense if your plan is to eliminate one of their districts. You still have the rest of the 10th. The only way to make this work is to divide up Lynch's district.

Agreed -- this not a credible scenario.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #98 on: August 18, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »

Doesn't eliminating Lynch require a lot of baconmandering?

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »

Hmm.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/08/19/massachusetts_electoral_districts_being_redrawn/

Massachusetts legislators, who are in the final stages of constructing a congressional redistricting map that will force at least two of the 10 Democratic incumbents to face off next year, are focusing on several potential scenarios, including merging the seats of Stephen F. Lynch of South Boston and freshman William R. Keating of Quincy to create a new district encompassing most of Norfolk County.

That possibility would require Representative Barney Frank, a 30-year veteran of Congress, to give up his hometown of Newton for a district concentrated near New Bedford and encompassing the southeastern part of the state, said sources who are privy to the redistricting conversations taking place on Beacon Hill.

Hmm, that sounds like a Cape and Islands district. Seems to ruffle more incumbents than is  needed, though.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies