US: House Redistricting Massachusetts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:32:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US: House Redistricting Massachusetts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US: House Redistricting Massachusetts  (Read 35247 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: June 30, 2011, 02:37:51 AM »

Boston is the only split town.

I want to keep Quincy, and also Randolph, out of the 3rd (former 10th)... which means I can't very well push the 4th out of Norfolk County.

You have put the Berkshires and most of the Pioneer Valley in with the Springfield area. From a community of interest standpoint they are far more similar to northern Worcester County as far east as Leominster and Fitchburg, whereas Springfield is the core of its own little area that kind of spills around the southern border of the state. In this respect the current map does very well (except for Northampton and Hadley being in the Springfield district, which is truly bizarre).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:01 PM »

Can anybody really want that? I don't think so. Well, the current Representatives for the first, second and third districts maybe.

As a native of Franklin County, and current resident of Hampshire County, I for one think that that looks fairly okay, though I confess that the same things that make me attuned to CoE distinctions in the area also mean that I'm not exactly the most objective judge.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:44:11 AM »

That's a tough question, since Dave's Redistricting App doesn't have data for Massachusetts like that.

Here are some facts, though:

It contains only three towns that went for McCain: Wrentham, Walpole, and Norfolk, all in the southen part of the district. All went to him by very small margins -- either 50 or 51%.

The northern part of the district is incredibly Democratic. Framingham, probably the largest of the towns in the district, went 67% Obama; he got all the way up to 76% in Lincoln.

I'd guess this district is D+10 on the whole. The real danger to Democrats is simply the fact that this district contains, almost in its entirity, a "safe Republican" State Senate district. Sen. Richard Ross (R) could run here with an actual voter base.

You could probably make this safer for Dems by taking more of Middlesex and giving up more of the quieter, Southern part of the district.

What would that do to your CD4?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

I note that you've put Frank, Markey, and Capuano in the same district. I'm okay with this, mainly because it makes sense from a community of interest standpoint and Frank could easily just move to New Bedford, where somewhat strangely he's more popular than he is in his own area anyway (or, at least, just as much so), and Markey to Natick or someplace (or he could retire, but I don't particularly care to lose Markey).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2011, 08:29:40 PM by Nathan »

I just...I...

...well at least it seems like if this happens Northampton will end up in 01. That would be something at least.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2011, 08:05:09 PM by Nathan »

That would make more sense if you traded some of the Springfield area for the rest of Hampshire and Franklin. There's no comprehensible reason why those counties should be split, unless the alternative is splitting Springfield itself.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:32:36 PM »

Culturally and as a CoI, Hampshire+Franklin does, but you could cut out some of the eastern towns there and not rip things apart too much. Greenfield, Montague, Amherst, Northampton, and points west are really the bulk of what, as a resident of the area, I think should stay together.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:34:40 PM »

Let me try to whip something up. How do you post DRA maps in threads?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »

There's a "Save View JPG" button under "Area Views" at the top. Just upload it somewhere and then post it here.

Okay, thanks. I'll do that this afternoon.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 02:31:01 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2011, 02:33:54 PM by Nathan »

Se~no!

First attempt: Two Westa-Woosta districts, with two criteria:

1. Pioneer Valley and Hill Towns remain mostly together and in the same district as the Berkshires.
2. Springfield and Worcester are in separate districts both of which include all or most of their immediate suburbs.

MA-01: Berkshires, Greenfield, Montague, Northampton, Amherst, Westfield, Holyoke, Chicopee, Springfield, Ludlow. Richard Neal.
MA-02: Worcester, Leominster/Fitchburg, Southbridge, Quabbin area. Jim McGovern.

I was able to get the Pioneer Valley, Hill Towns, Berkshires, and most of the Springfield area in one district by sacrificing some traditionally associated towns that could also be reasonably considered part of a CoI with the rural parts of Worcester County, such as Athol in Franklin County and Belchertown and Granby in Hampshire. I'm not terribly happy about this, nor about Wilbraham ending up in the Worcester district, but as an area resident I think the problems are relatively minor. Neal keeps about half of his current population if not a little more. McGovern gets essentially an all-new district but since it's still centered in the Worcester area he should be able to win it if he wants it. MA-03 should probably be a new MetroWest district stretching from Boston's inner north-western suburbs to the Rhode Island border. Markey could probably win here, since the more Republican (or less Democratic) parts of Worcester County would be cracked between it and MA-02.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

Boston is the only split town.

I want to keep Quincy, and also Randolph, out of the 3rd (former 10th)... which means I can't very well push the 4th out of Norfolk County.

You have put the Berkshires and most of the Pioneer Valley in with the Springfield area. From a community of interest standpoint they are far more similar to northern Worcester County as far east as Leominster and Fitchburg, whereas Springfield is the core of its own little area that kind of spills around the southern border of the state. In this respect the current map does very well (except for Northampton and Hadley being in the Springfield district, which is truly bizarre).

Simply put, I've since changed my opinion on that, but I can do another one with a Berkshires/Pioneer Valley/northern County district, a Springfield district, and a Worcester/MetroWest district.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 03:36:22 PM »

The border between 01 and 02 is the Hampden/Hampshire county line for a while with 01 taking in Westfield and points west.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »
« Edited: November 06, 2011, 01:53:36 AM by Nathan »

Here is a map whose goals were to have one Springfield district, one Worcester district, one rural-ish Western/Central Mass district, and one Boston district, and to screw over Stephen Lynch.

Note that if I rejigged the boundaries in East and South Boston somewhat (currently all of Boston is in one district except for about two thousand people living right on or in the Harbor), I could create a MA-07 that would be drivable via the Ted Williams Tunnel. Frank could probably win either MA-04, which includes his home as well as the bulk of Lynch's current district, or MA-09, which includes his South Coast strongholds, but he might have to try harder than he's accustomed to in either case. The maximum deviation is -1,499 for MA-03.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »

I. What.

What in God's name even is this sh**t.

Okay, I'm glad they kept the Pioneer Valley together, but why am I in a district with Worcester.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »

I can't see your map/image, krazen.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 08:03:24 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 08:05:01 PM by Nathan »

At a glance, purple seems competitive. Green, maybe, although there's enough of a Democratic machine in Springfield to generate candidates for such a district reasonably reliably. Fall River and New Bedford mean that red probably isn't, but I'd think that's your next best bet.

EDIT: Teal would probably be competitive under certain circumstances. It doesn't look too different from what John Tierney actually has but might be slightly less Democratic. We all of course know what is going on with dear Mr Tierney right now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies