John Thune and 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:23:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  John Thune and 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: John Thune and 2012?  (Read 2626 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »

We haven't heard alot about John Thune recently does anyone else on here think he will run?

As in my opinion is most likely one of the best candidates for the Republicans to field against Obama as he appeals to the base as well as all other forms of Republican voters and he doesn't offend moderates or independents. As he has bragging rights to bringing down Tom Daschle and has voted as a solid line conservative but is not a faux-tea party fire-breathing firebrand like Sarah Palin. He is young, intelligent, and has had productive terms in both the House and Senate under his belt on a wide variety of issues. He also could have appeal to voters in the Midwest like Iowa and Wisconsin, and Western states like Nevada and Colorado. Although much is really not known about him other then this.

So does anyone else think Thune would be one of the strongest GOP candidates in 2012?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:38:31 PM »

In a race between Thune and Obama, I would most certainly support Senator Thune . As for a primary, Thune would not be the first candidate I'd support.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »

I'd support him in the primary (maybe) if it wasn't for his support for Norton - _ -. However I've liked his work in the Senate and would gladly support if it was him vs Obama
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »

In a race between Thune and Obama, I would most certainly support Senator Thune . As for a primary, Thune would not be the first candidate I'd support.

Is there anyone you DO like as a potential candidate? I've only seen you comment on every single candidate so far as I hate them and/or I'd only vote for them against Obama.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 07:45:11 PM »

Is there anyone you DO like as a potential candidate? I've only seen you comment on every single candidate so far as I hate them and/or I'd only vote for them against Obama.

Ron Paul, Mitch Daniels, Gary Johnson, Jim Demint, Mike Huckabee, Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, Evan Bayh, Chris Coons, Scott Brown, Rand Paul, Brian Schweitzer and Jesse Ventura are all candidates that I'd support in 2012/2016.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

John Thune?

He will have to campaign as if he knows that America on the whole isn't South Dakota. Its biggest minority is First Peoples, it has no really-large city (Rapid City is smaller than some Dallas suburbs) and practically no suburbs. It won't be possible to be elected President this time by simply restating the usual talking points of the GOP (as in "We need more tax cuts and regulatory relief, and wouldn't it be great if we could have school prayer and ban abortion?)

Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

Ron Paul, Mitch Daniels, Gary Johnson, Jim Demint, Mike Huckabee, Mike Gravel, Dennis Kucinich, Evan Bayh, Chris Coons, Scott Brown, Rand Paul, Brian Schweitzer and Jesse Ventura are all candidates that I'd support in 2012/2016.

Oh, man, another one of those DeMint/Gravelbots!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »

He's in the Tim Pawlenty/Mitch Daniels camp of at-some-point-they're-going-to-have-to-do-something and actually get some national notice instead of just being names bandied about by political nerds looking for a chic dark horse pick.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:03 AM »

How can you say he would be supported by moderates??? He supports banning same-sex marriage, voted for both wars, and opposes abortion, I can't see anyone going for him besides the absolute base. And even then he's not well known enough to get all the base voters.

Ron Paul 2012.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

Actually, John Thune may have trouble with hardcore conservatives. He voted for TARP and refused to strip Lisa Murkowski of her leadership positions in the Senate.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 02:01:20 PM »

He'd be a very good candidate in the general election, but he doesn't have enough name recognition to make it out of the primary, so it doesn't really matter how good of a GE candidate he'd be.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »

I don't really understand why people don't like Mike Gravel. I can understand Demint, he has the rhetoric of a neocon. But why Gravel?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »

Actually, John Thune may have trouble with hardcore conservatives. He voted for TARP and refused to strip Lisa Murkowski of her leadership positions in the Senate.

Murkowski would have been MUCH bigger if she lost, but she won so I don't think that's the greatest issue.

As for TARP half of the republicans voted for it and if we didn't pass it we would be in a much bigger mess (which could have been reduced even greater if the democratics in congress moved forward with the Frannie and Freddie reforms Bush proposed - _ -)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

As for TARP half of the republicans voted for it and if we didn't pass it we would be in a much bigger mess (which could have been reduced even greater if the democratics in congress moved forward with the Frannie and Freddie reforms Bush proposed - _ -)

Let me guess, you support the Bush proposed TARP and Bailouts, but not the Obama stimulus?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »

I don't really understand why people don't like Mike Gravel. I can understand Demint, he has the rhetoric of a neocon. But why Gravel?

I was just having a goof on ya!!!  It'd be hard to find many things Gravel and DeMint agree on.  So I can't figure out your criteria.
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 10:30:28 PM »

John Thune is a great candidate against Obama. He brings the Midwest to the table, brings a youthful demeanor (he's only 47), and has a decent political record (two terms as a Senator from South Dakota). He's also got the record of having been in a "nationalized" race - his 2004 race against Tom Daschle.

He could force a very tight race against Obama.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »

John Thune is a great candidate against Obama. He brings the Midwest to the table, brings a youthful demeanor (he's only 47),

Actually, he's 50.  Both he and Obama would be 51 on Election Day 2012.
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

I stand corrected. But he looks so much younger and that's what counts. Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 03:59:08 PM »

I was just having a goof on ya!!!  It'd be hard to find many things Gravel and DeMint agree on.  So I can't figure out your criteria.

I like Gravel's policies and ideas, but I like DeMint's intellect. I don't necessarily agree with Demint on every issue, but I think he makes a good enough case for me to go along with it, if that makes sense XD
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 01:58:46 AM »

In an interview yesterday, Thune said that, while he's not setting any hard deadlines, a decision on whether to run "may come within 30 to 60 days":

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDetail6375.cfm?Id=109708

Maybe we'll have announcements (one way or the other) from Romney, Pawlenty, Thune, Daniels, Gingrich, and Barbour all in either March or April.

Meanwhile, one of Thune's top fundraisers has been making calls to NH:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20110121/NEWS/101210308/1001/news
milhouse24
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 03:29:15 PM »

Thune will announce at some point that he is running for President in 2012.
He will be on the ticket as either the VP or President.
As long as he can win the Christian Conservative vote in Iowa and SC, he will do well in the primaries.  He is more competent than Palin, and more camera-friendly than Barbour or Grinch.
He is more Christian than Romney.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »

As long as he can win the Christian Conservative vote in Iowa and SC, he will do well in the primaries.  He is more competent than Palin, and more camera-friendly than Barbour or Grinch.

But the question is, can he win the swing states?
milhouse24
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »

But the question is, can he win the swing states?
Well I think Obama will easily lose Ohio and Florida at this point, so it would be pretty easy for Thune to pick up those 2 states. 
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, yes. But I think ultimately, it will come down to who wins Wisconsin, New Jersey, Virginia and North Carolina. If Obama wins at least three of those states, he's secure for re-election, the opposite is true for Thune.
milhouse24
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 11:24:03 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, yes. But I think ultimately, it will come down to who wins Wisconsin, New Jersey, Virginia and North Carolina. If Obama wins at least three of those states, he's secure for re-election, the opposite is true for Thune.
Obama will likely lose North Carolina and INdiana
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies