MA: Freedom to Consume Alchol in Public Bill (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:09:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Freedom to Consume Alchol in Public Bill (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MA: Freedom to Consume Alchol in Public Bill (Debating)  (Read 5108 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 07:23:17 PM »

You draw the line objectively... so no drinking period.  That way, there's no subjectivity.  But you still give police the option of not actively enforcing it until it becomes a problem.  That way, if you choose to break the law, you run the risk yourself of getting cited.  You may be perfectly sober, but you still choose to take that risk.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »

I'm still not convinced of why this is a good idea, and as of now, plan on voting NAY.  If anybody so chooses, I'm open to hearing why I should vote AYE.

When homeless people drinks, they get arrested, and later released. This is a complete waste of our time and resources, as arresting them doesn't really solve the problem. Now, if that drunken man decided to enter a building, he'd still be arrested under this law. A man drinking is not a risk to the public, so I see no reason in making it illegal.

That is soooo dangerously untrue. If that were the case, everyone would be allowed to drink.
I stand by my statement that a man drinking a beer is not a danger to the public. Now, if he were intoxicated, he would be, but that would still be banned under this bill, so there's no point even discussing that area.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

The mere state of intoxication shouldn't necessarily be a problem either.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2011, 08:37:07 PM »

Until they endager those around them with amplified emotions and rash action. This isn't even a party we're talking about or some sort of gathering. This is drinking on a light rail where there are others to think of.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

Until they endager those around them with amplified emotions and rash action. This isn't even a party we're talking about or some sort of gathering. This is drinking on a light rail where there are others to think of.

Then those that threaten someone should be punished for that, but that's not a reason to limit everyone's freedom.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »

Then those that threaten someone should be punished for that, but that's not a reason to limit everyone's freedom.

It's a nice stance to take that we shouldn't limit freedoms of everyone, just punish those who do wrong.  But how many stories do we see of "Drunk man falls off railway platform" ... it seems every few months there's another story.  So, if we open this up to it being permissible, you may be able to argue that "we'll simply arrest those who push people onto the rails / fall onto the rails," but how many times are the cops not gonna get there until after the train runs somebody over?  It's a bad idea, and I'm opposed to this law.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »

It's funny, but I don't hear about too many drunk people falling onto the rails or being pushed onto them in Germany...

Is Atlasia/America that bad at handling alcohol?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »

It's funny, but I don't hear about too many drunk people falling onto the rails or being pushed onto them in Germany...

Yes, just look at the at the general safety of the Autobahnen
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 09:44:14 PM »

Exactly. Though I'm not sure how the fact that the Autobahn is one of the safest road systems in the world ties into this.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »

Exactly. Though I'm not sure how the fact that the Autobahn is one of the safest road systems in the world ties into this.

I think his point was that Americans are less responsible.
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 10:23:45 PM »

Very true
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 12:08:51 AM »

I think his point was that Americans are less responsible.
^

They don't drink an drive, they don't eat and drive, they don't talk on their phones and drive (well I can't speak for EVERY person)
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 04:35:09 AM »

They don't drink an drive, they don't eat and drive, they don't talk on their phones and drive (well I can't speak for EVERY person)

I wouldn't generalize that much.....there are plenty of DUI cases over here (limit is .05 BAC). And I admit I talk on the phone while driving often enough....(would be a 40€ fine).

But I wasn't saying Americans were less responsible....it was more of a question. I can't really imagine Americans are that different that it would create a huge problem. Maybe I'm wrong though, and it's a cultural thing that only works if it's always been that way.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 12:03:46 PM »

Well, DUI over there is above 0.05.  Here's it's 0.08... so we're already starting at a higher level.
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2011, 06:51:18 PM by Mideast Assemblyman-Elect Agooji (Ogis) »

The current laws are in place to keep both the drinker and the bystander safe, and I feel it opens a can of worms to rescind these laws. Public transportation generally entails having enclosed spaces, and these environments would certainly not be suitable for the general, non-publicly-drinking population if we allow people to drink in such places.  
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies