Is there a "Palin effect" in polling?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:04:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is there a "Palin effect" in polling?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well, is there?
Yes.

No.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Is there a "Palin effect" in polling?  (Read 1630 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:05:37 AM »

I was just thinking that there might be a response bias issue with current polling regarding Sarah Palin, in that people don't want to say they would vote for or approve of Palin for fear of being ridiculed for having an "incorrect" or "uneducated" opinion.  (Sort of like the "Bradley effect" but in reverse).  Do you think that this might be a legitimate issue?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 01:53:16 AM »

It's a possible issue, but I think vote splitting is probably a much greater issue at the moment in terms of masking her support.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:19:49 AM »

I think if you look closely at the polling, it's there. It might translate to a 6.5-9.5 point swing to Palin on election day. Not good for Obama.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »

Palin supporters aren't the type to worry about what anyone thinks of their choices. I think the instances of people lying about supporting a particular candidate are very low, polls are collective samples where individual opinions aren't made public and most people get that.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:05 AM »

Palin supporters aren't the type to worry about what anyone thinks of their choices. I think the instances of people lying about supporting a particular candidate are very low, polls are collective samples where individual opinions aren't made public and most people get that.

^^^^^^
This
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:02:21 AM »

^^^^^^
This
Yes, This. The days of the "Bradley Effect" are long over.
albaleman
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »

No way. If anything, there's a pro-Palin bias because if she were actually campaigning, she'd be making gaffes and her poll numbers would go down even further.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »

Yes. I know because I am one of them. I'd support someone else in the primary, then if asked Obama vs. Palin, I'd vote for the President...but in the end I'd actually probably vote for Palin.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 07:34:40 AM »

Yes, I think it's possible that she would lose by a large margin instead of the ridiculous landslide predicted by polls. Katharine Harris was considered a joke candidate and she closed at the end because of Republicans who supported the party and knew she wasn't going to actually win. Palin, should she become the nominee (which seems very unlikely still, if not impossible), will get lots of votes at the end from partisans who know at least that they wouldn't be making her President but would be making a statement about their beliefs.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 08:51:01 AM »

I'm sure there is such an effect, but I'm also quite sure that it is small.

In Denmark we have a semi-racist right wing party that outperforms their polling in every single election we've had since 1998, however they only outperform the polls by something like one percentage point.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 01:34:23 AM »

Yes, I think it's possible that she would lose by a large margin instead of the ridiculous landslide predicted by polls. Katharine Harris was considered a joke candidate and she closed at the end because of Republicans who supported the party and knew she wasn't going to actually win. Palin, should she become the nominee (which seems very unlikely still, if not impossible), will get lots of votes at the end from partisans who know at least that they wouldn't be making her President but would be making a statement about their beliefs.
Whether or not that snowballs into a victory is another issue entirely. I mean, shouldn't you be proud of who you are voting for? Then again, there are a lot of angry and confused people who support Palin and would probably think that lying about supporting her is the only thing that allows them to keep what's left of their freedom...but who knows? ReaganFan is probably pretty accurate, but mainstream Conservative Republicans coming home seem like the traditional undecideds on the homestretch that cause the challenger to win last minute undecideds 2:1. ...unless of course Obama can do what Bush did- scare or guilt trip that number from 2:1 to perhaps 1:1 or slightly better. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 11:59:39 AM »

There are Democrats who I would never want to see in elected office who I would vote for if they were certain to lose and I wanted to register my opposition to the winner's agenda. I'm not sure if Alvin Greene would have qualified, but I could probably think of others. I'm also one of those people who considers "not voting" to not be an option. I expect there are millions of Republicans who would vote that way if Palin were nominated.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »

There are Democrats who I would never want to see in elected office who I would vote for if they were certain to lose and I wanted to register my opposition to the winner's agenda. I'm not sure if Alvin Greene would have qualified, but I could probably think of others. I'm also one of those people who considers "not voting" to not be an option. I expect there are millions of Republicans who would vote that way if Palin were nominated.
How many electoral votes would Palin get with that strategy and could she actually win because people don't think she can win? Is that how Reagan won?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies