Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 10:46:54 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  International Elections (Moderator: PASOK Leader Hashemite)
| | |-+  France 2012: the official thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 87 Print
Author Topic: France 2012: the official thread  (Read 121484 times)
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: April 29, 2012, 11:13:09 am »
Ignore

Why don't they just mark the name on a piece of paper? Seems like they could save a ton of money in printing costs.

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:38 am »
Ignore

Just back from a Hollande meeting in Bercy ! Smiley It was impressive : around 20,000 people, and all very enthusiastic. We can feel how close victory is ! Wink

Can I ask a stupid question about voting procedures? My dad asked me this and I own him the answer.
When you go to polling stations, you pick a ballot paper indicating each candidates/lists and an envelope, then you go into the polling booth and put the paper with the name of your favourite candidate in the envelope. You go out and put the envelope in the ballot box.
What do you do with the ballot papers indicating the names of other candidates/lists? Do you throw them in the rubbish in the polling booth or do you have to take them home?

Basically everybody throws them away in a trash can inside the polling booth, while a few leave them lying there while a few decide to take them home (I kept my remaining ballots, but I didn't take all 10).

To my surprise, there was no trashcan in my polling booth. So I took the ballots away.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It REALLY is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: April 29, 2012, 11:59:14 am »
Ignore

Why don't they just mark the name on a piece of paper? Seems like they could save a ton of money in printing costs.

Sure, but something like 98% of people manage to fill optical scan ballots out properly. Is the extra cost really worth the inconvenience of deciphering optical scan ballots during recounts?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: April 29, 2012, 12:05:56 pm »
Ignore

Such a ballot would be disqualified anyway here. And I guess also in France.
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: April 29, 2012, 12:16:34 pm »
Ignore

Yeah, getting rid of voter intent laws would also solve that problem. Not that I favor that, mind you.
Andrea
Italy
View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: April 29, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »
Ignore

Can I ask a stupid question about voting procedures? My dad asked me this and I own him the answer.
When you go to polling stations, you pick a ballot paper indicating each candidates/lists and an envelope, then you go into the polling booth and put the paper with the name of your favourite candidate in the envelope. You go out and put the envelope in the ballot box.
What do you do with the ballot papers indicating the names of other candidates/lists? Do you throw them in the rubbish in the polling booth or do you have to take them home?

Basically everybody throws them away in a trash can inside the polling booth, while a few leave them lying there while a few decide to take them home (I kept my remaining ballots, but I didn't take all 10).

Thanks.
DL
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »
Ignore

Instead of all these multiple pieces of paper - why not just have one piece of paper with all the presidential candidates listed on it and have voters mark an "x" with a pencil beside the one they want.
mileslunn
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:35 am »
Ignore

Whats the most recent polling?  If all the National Front voters go to Sarkozy, that would give him on the edge and as long as he picks up a small portion of the MoDem supporters that would be enough to win.  At the same time I suspect like in many European countries a lot of those who vote for far right parties are people with low incomes who want to blame the immigrants for their economic misfortune thus I am not sure how keen they would be on Sarkozy's economic policies even if they like his immigration ones.  Finally what about turnout.  Any idea of which groups who voted in the first round will sit out the second while who are the groups that are most notorious for sitting out the first round and then voting in the second round in past elections as I understand turnout is usually higher in the second round suggesting some who sit out the first round show up in the second round.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 30, 2012, 03:59:43 am »
Ignore

Hope for Sarkozy ?

New Ipsos poll shows:

53-47 Hollande

Sarkozy gaining ground with Le Pen and Bayrou voters.
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: April 30, 2012, 04:39:10 am »
Ignore

Hope for Sarkozy ?

New Ipsos poll shows:

53-47 Hollande

WHAT

22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It REALLY is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: April 30, 2012, 04:43:50 am »
Ignore

Hope for Sarkozy ?

New Ipsos poll shows:

53-47 Hollande

WHAT

www.ipsos.fr

(Could be margin of error movement though, who knows ...)
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 30, 2012, 04:45:53 am »
Ignore

If this is not an outlier I'm going to bang my head on a wall until death ensues.

It REALLY is.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: April 30, 2012, 04:53:13 am »
Ignore

If this is not an outlier I'm going to bang my head on a wall until death ensues.

What are the chances that we'll see ANY poll with Sarkozy at 48% this week ?

BTW, has there been any poll with him at 48% since Election 2007 ? Don't think so ...
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 30, 2012, 04:59:09 am »
Ignore

What are the chances that we'll see ANY poll with Sarkozy at 48% this week ?

What can I say ? Let's wait and see. *sigh*

BTW, has there been any poll with him at 48% since Election 2007 ? Don't think so...

I'm sure there were a few. He started trailing so massively only by the end of 2010, after a series of scandals. Before, the polls were quite close apart from those against DSK.

It REALLY is.

RedPrometheus

View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 30, 2012, 05:52:41 am »
Ignore

I think in the end it the result will be more like 53-47 or even 52-48 but nevertheless Hollande will win.

Sarkozy is a fairly strong campaigner, but Hollande is fairly boring, but Hollande seems to have the enthusiasm on his side.

Political Matrix

E: -7,74
S: -5,22
PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
YaBB God
South Africa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1940 on: April 30, 2012, 06:20:33 am »

From the reaction you'd think that it was a poll showing him 10 points ahead.

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: April 30, 2012, 06:39:38 am »
Ignore

Doesn't the idea that Sarkozy is gaining ground after his far-right turn freak you out too ?

It REALLY is.

Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: April 30, 2012, 07:20:31 am »
Ignore

Doesn't the idea that Sarkozy is gaining ground after his far-right turn freak you out too ?

The weird thing is though that if you look at the poll, though, his support from Le Pen voters has actually dropped. Somehow, according to Ipsos, over the past week Bayrou voters have gone from 33% Hollande, 32% Sarkozy, 35% no voting intentions, to 40% Sarkozy, 34% Hollande, 26% no intentions. There's also a slight decline in the number of Melanchon voters saying they'll vote for Hollande.

That poll basically says the exact opposite of everything that I think would be happening.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1943 on: April 30, 2012, 07:50:36 am »
Ignore

An incumbent trailing by six with about thirty seconds to go is still an incumbent in a hell of a lot of trouble. He's going to need to be closer - and consistently - to have much of a prayer.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:04 am »
Ignore

Sarkozy will be re-elected.

DL
YaBB God
Canada
View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: April 30, 2012, 10:10:25 am »
Ignore

The only way Sarkozy could win would be if all the polls in France were as spectacularly wrong as they were in the recent election in Alberta!! (ie: incumbent is supposed to lose by 8 points and instead wins by 10 points)...not a chance.

In 2007 as i recall the final numbers for Sarkozy and Royal were exactly what the final polls predicted.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: April 30, 2012, 10:31:25 am »
Ignore

The only way Sarkozy could win would be if all the polls in France were as spectacularly wrong as they were in the recent election in Alberta!! (ie: incumbent is supposed to lose by 8 points and instead wins by 10 points)...not a chance.

In 2007 as i recall the final numbers for Sarkozy and Royal were exactly what the final polls predicted.

Sarkozy overpolled by about 2%. He polled an average of 55% and got 53%.
Lettuce and cheese salad--hold the dressing!
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:48 am »
Ignore

Are French polls that accurate that a shift of one point is some big news?

It seems like Lief's posts sometimes have a sexual tint to them. I've definitely seen references to spanking more than once.
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 30, 2012, 12:46:00 pm »
Ignore

Elaborate.

Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: April 30, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »
Ignore

Elaborate.

Elaborate? Uh. Sarkozy will win re-election to a second term as President of the French Republic. Did I elaborate enough?

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 83 ... 87 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout