US House Redistricting: Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Arizona  (Read 69779 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: August 22, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »

It would be interesting to know that the 2001 grid map looked like.

Here's the initial grid:

Here's the draft map based on the grid:

Here are transcripts and minutes from the previous Commission's meetings.

http://2001.azredistricting.org/?page=meetings

And the motherload- here are videos of the current Commission's meetings.

http://www.azredistricting.org/Meeting-Info/default.asp
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2011, 11:13:45 AM by Johannes Overgaard, Antillan MP (SPP-Bronseland) »

Oh, and here's a live stream of the current meeting, which is just starting:

http://www.azredistricting.org/stream/default.asp
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »

Yesterday the commission discussed a map where they modified the second grid option to conform to the VRA. It looked similar to Torie's map except:

• They didn't do the Hopi-Navajo gerrymander, and
  • The tan district on Torie's map went further southeast. It looked more like a Pinal-Tucson district.

It's important to note that it's still an early draft, and conforms only to the VRA and the requirements met by the grid map.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »

Yesterday the commission discussed a map where they modified the second grid option to conform to the VRA. It looked similar to Torie's map except:

• They didn't do the Hopi-Navajo gerrymander, and
  • The tan district on Torie's map went further southeast. It looked more like a Pinal-Tucson district.

It's important to note that it's still an early draft, and conforms only to the VRA and the requirements met by the grid map.

Interesting. I can't find the new map.  IF AZ-03 took the rest of Pinal and some of Pima near Tuscon, chewing in to AZ-01 in my map, what territory did AZ-01 take to replace it?  AZ-02 must have picked up more than just Yuma County if AZ-01 has to take more of Pima.

That's because the new map hasn't been posted. I watched the live stream yesterday. When the video goes up on the website, I'll see if I can get a screenshot.

Yep.

The orginal map the Democrats came up with was absurd.

They have had to back down.

I should just point out that the "orignal map the Democrats came up with" is no more than a (legally required) foundation upon which to build. Since the Commission is not allowed to use the current districts as a baseline, they draw what they call a "grid map" to provide a starting point for redistricting. The "original map" of which you speak is one of these "grid maps." The Commission hasn't even yet considered most of the conditions that they are required to consider, such as respect for communities of interest.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »

The next meeting of the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission will be Thursday, 12:00 PM local time (3:00 PM Eastern). The Hispanic Coalition for Good Government, as well as other individuals and groups, are scheduled to present and submit Congressional and Legislative maps to the Commission. The Commission will also review, discuss, and direct to the mapping consultant, ideas for possible adjustments to Congressional and Legislative grid maps based on constitutional criteria.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »

Here are the maps that were discussed during Monday's meeting. Again, these are simply modifications to the grid map designed to draw two Hispanic-majority districts. They are far from being the finished product.

I apologize for the low quality, but the quality of the source video leaves something to be desired. Still, at least Arizona gives us an opportunity to observe the process.

First, a statewide view:

And here's a close up of the Maricopa County area:

The map is color coded to Hispanic percentage; the darker green a precinct is, the more Hispanic it is.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:20:05 AM »

Vazdul - interesting. Are we to take it that that's their idea of what the southern Hispanic district should look like? Ie, that they'll keep it Tucson-to-West End? Interesting detail about getting Eloy in, most of the reason why I didn't was the precinct design wasn't kind to me.
That does look as if they'll eventually excise Tucson from that Chandler-Pinal district. Which of course would probably mean the old 8th probably remains much as is, though perhaps not. I can certainly see why Torie - and a certain R member of the Commission - is fascinated with the alternative.

Well, they're bound to make some changes. The mapping consultants referred to Nogales, Tucson, and Yuma as the three concentrations of Hispanics that make a Hispanic-majority district in that area possible (that's almost verbatim), so it's pretty much a given that the district will end up including all three. However, they also talked about cleaning up the lines between that district and the one that replaces the current 8th, should they decide to proceed with the modified map. They also discussed the idea of three border districts, but pretty much dismissed it outright, saying it would be very difficult if not impossible to do while conforming to the VRA. They also said a potential issue with the map was with the northeastern district not being compact enough.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:33 PM »

The commission held a meeting today in which they discussed possible changes to the grid maps. I have pictures.

The first map was drawn to accommodate a Colorado River District in the western part of the state. It also has two Hispanic-majority districts. This early draft has several issues; most notably it does not respect tribal boundaries and it splits Flagstaff.

This is a close up of Yuma. Darker red indicates a higher Hispanic percentage.

This is a close up of Maricopa County. Darker green indicates a higher total population.

This is the map from Monday's meeting that has been further altered so as not to split Native American reservations. Testimony before the commission seems to indicate that the Hopi and Navajo are agreeable to being in the same district.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »

Because I was distracted, I missed much of the discussion on legislative maps, but I'm under the impression that two separate maps were drawn to conform to the VRA. Here is the first.

This is the same map, color coded to show which districts are Hispanic-majority (the darker green ones). The northeast district is majority Native American.

This is a close up of Maricopa County, using the same color scheme as the previous picture. Some of the districts which do not have an outright Hispanic majority are coalition districts.

This is a close up of Maricopa County on the second map (I missed the statewide view, unfortunately).

This is a comparison between the two legislative maps. Red boundaries are from the second map, green boundaries from the first. Brown boundaries are the same in both plans.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »

Here are some maps for individual districts that were proposed by certain groups during yesterday's meeting.

First, a map proposed by the Hispanic Coalition for Good Government:

A close up of their proposed Maricopa County Hispanic district:

A close up of the split in Pinal County:

A close up of Tucson:

And a close up of Yuma:

Next is a partial legislative map advocated by the city of Flagstaff:

And a map for the northeastern Congressional district advocated by the city of Flagstaff:

And statistics for the city of Flagstaff maps:
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2011, 04:45:30 PM by Johannes Overgaard, Antillan MP (SPP-Bronseland) »

The Redistricting Commission is meeting today. The Pinal County Governmental Alliance presented this. I missed most of the presentation, so I don't know what was discussed.

They are currently discussing changes to the congressional grid map to accomodate three border districts. They say that the map will be on the website soon, so I shouldn't have to bother with low-quality screenshots.

EDIT: Here is an update to their "river district" plan, which they've yet to discuss.

And this is the three border district plan. It still manages to get two Hispanic-majority districts, but it's quite ugly.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 05:54:33 PM »

Here are the legislative maps that the commission is currently discussing.

http://www.azredistricting.org/Maps/pubmaps/Leg-9_minoity_dists_option1-no_split_res-exports/Leg-9_minority_dists_option1-no_split_res.pdf

http://www.azredistricting.org/Maps/pubmaps/Leg-9_minoity_dists_option2-no_split_res-exports/Leg-9_minority_dists_option2-no_split_res.pdf
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 12:50:36 PM »

That's the map that was voted down. This is the map that was approved. The remaining 4 Maricopa County districts have yet to be drawn.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »

That's the map that was voted down. This is the map that was approved. The remaining 4 Maricopa County districts have yet to be drawn.

Both the maps look the same, except of course the Maricopa districts haven't been drawn. I doubt CD-2 is up to full population either.

I assume you are referring to the northwestern district. It isn't up to full population. There is some debate as to which parts of Maricopa to add to it to bring it up to population.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 08:34:54 PM »

The funny thing is that the Republicans on the Commission don't seem to think that those changes are very desirable. Mathis, Herrera, and McNulty voted yes, Stertz voted no, and Freeman abstained.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies