Ever been a delegate for a Republican/Democrat convention?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:06:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Ever been a delegate for a Republican/Democrat convention?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ever been a delegate for a Republican/Democrat convention?  (Read 3641 times)
senor
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2011, 01:21:14 PM »

That's the question, have you ever been a delegate to a national convention?

National conventions seem like a good time. Well, maybe Chicago in '68 or Carter's renomination sucked, but still, it mostly seems like a lot of laughs, a lot of cheerleading for the nominiee. Conventions are not near as good as they used to be when they were fights for nomination. They tend to be informational. That's sad.

I had a college professor state that he was a delegate and a lot of them were drinking/or drunk at prime time. Ture or not?
bloombergforpresident
obama12

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:47:59 PM »

My great uncle was a delegate (1952, 1956, 1960) and I'm sure he knew a lot of other ones, too.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »

My uncle, who's from Brasil, wasn't a delegate... but he went to GOP's Conventions in 1996, 2000 and 2008 =/
he is as conservative as a rich brazilian person can be...
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »

My uncle, who's from Brasil, wasn't a delegate... but he went to GOP's Conventions in 1996, 2000 and 2008 =/
Good for him Smiley

And a friend's father attended the GOP Convention in 2004
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:38 PM »

My moms friends mother was a Humphrey delagate at the 68 convention. Im making plans to attend (hopefully) the convention in Tampa. Its going to be annoying, having to drive with my mother and grandmother over Aligator Ally however.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:23 AM »

I believe muon was.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

Good for him Smiley

And a friend's father attended the GOP Convention in 2004

Bad for him Sad But one day I'll convince him social-democracy is the best system in the world. alas, he is beggining to like Lula and Dilma.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »

My moms friends mother was a Humphrey delagate at the 68 convention. Im making plans to attend (hopefully) the convention in Tampa. Its going to be annoying, having to drive with my mother and grandmother over Aligator Ally however.

I didn't know you were raised by lesbians Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »

County and congressional yes; national or state, no.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 10:57:42 PM »

Legislative district, twice.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 01:52:21 AM »

Came across this little gem of a thread on the 2004 Results board, altho it doesn't really belong there, so I'm moving it over to Forum Community.  By the way, I was a delegate in 1988 to the Lexington County Democratic Convention.

I caucused with the Democrats that year because I saw no major differences between Bush and Dole and no chance Robertson would get the nomination.  I was divided between supporting Gore and Gephardt at the precinct caucus.  The precinct caucus was so sparsely attended half the people there were eligible to be delegates to the the county convention, so since I willing to attend, I got selected as a undeclared delegate to the county convention.

To be honest, the main reason I had agreed at the precinct caucus to be a delegate is that it gave me an excuse to make the two and a half-hour drive to come home from college midweek and celebrate my birthday at home with my family since it was the same day.  After a birthday dinner complete with cake, I headed over to the convention, expecting it would be a two to three hour affair.  It was scheduled to start at 7pm on a Tuesday evening, but they hadn't bothered to get around to the voting by 11pm when I left.  While I did leave word of who I favored (Gore, since Gephardt had dropped out), I don't know if it affected anything since I wasn't there for the actual vote, and by then I didn't care. Went home, got a few hours sleep and then drove back to college for class the next day.  That experience was such a mess I have never bothered with party politics beyond voting in primaries since then.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 02:09:20 AM »

On second thought this probably belongs on Individual Politics instead of Forum Community, but it's too late for me to change it now.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

My father was a delegate to the Texas State Democratic Convention in 1972. McGovern for life!
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »

So I did a little creeping of my own, and found that muon's district is within IL-13.  And the Republican representative from IL-13 has retired, meaning the seat is open.  I say we start a draft-muon for Congress movement.  Any takers?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 05:16:10 PM »

So I did a little creeping of my own, and found that muon's district is within IL-13.  And the Republican representative from IL-13 has retired, meaning the seat is open.  I say we start a draft-muon for Congress movement.  Any takers?

I'm all for it. It's time to send the atlas forum to Congress!
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »

Huzzah!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 07:49:43 PM »

Huzzah!
We could have two if I can somehow convince Adam Hasner to make an account here Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »

An Atlas Forum Super PAC would be interesting.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 11:27:28 PM »

That'd be great, but what's our cause? Sending forumites to Congress?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 12:46:29 AM »

Can you think of a better one?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »

A noble cause it is. We'll need to get the one percenters like Torie to bankroll this thing. Maybe Winfield's family too.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 11:11:08 AM »
« Edited: April 08, 2012, 11:51:15 AM by Torie »

A noble cause it is. We'll need to get the one percenters like Torie to bankroll this thing. Maybe Winfield's family too.

Thank heavens for campaign finance laws. I'm limited to $2,500 in the primary, and another $2,500 in the General. But sure, I would be pleased to pony up that. Absolutely!  Smiley

IL-13 appears to have about a 2% Dem PVI. Muon2 would be perfect!

There is however one little problem.  Muon2 lives either in IL-06 or IL-14 (West Chicago is on the line).  IL-06 is the Roskam (R) CD, which he will win (GOP PVI 1.5%), and IL-14 is the  Randy Hultgren  (R) CD, which he will probably win too (GOP PVI 2%).  IL-13 in short, is far, far away, in the middle of the state. That is the bad news.

Now if Hultgren lost (Roskam is viewed as a mensch, so I don't think he is in play at all), and if  Muon2 lives in IL-14 (or moves), he could run there in 2014, and particularly if Obama wins re-election, I suspect by quite competitive there then, particularly bearing in mind that the Dem PVI's are way overstated in this area, maybe by as much as by 6 points. But that Dem point overstatement suggests that Hultgren won't be losing this year. And so it goes. 
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »

Thank heavens for campaign finance laws. I'm limited to $2,500 in the primary, and another $2,500 in the General. But sure, I would be pleased to pony up that. Absolutely!  Smiley

IL-13 appears to have about a 2% Dem PVI. Muon2 would be perfect!

There is however one little problem.  Muon2 lives either in IL-06 or IL-14 (West Chicago is on the line).  IL-06 is the Roskam (R) CD, which he will win (GOP PVI 1.5%), and IL-14 is the  Randy Hultgren  (R) CD, which he will probably win too (GOP PVI 2%).  IL-13 in short, is far, far away, in the middle of the state. That is the bad news.

Now if Hultgren lost (Roskam is viewed as a mensch, so I don't think he is in play at all), and if  Muon2 lives in IL-14 (or moves), he could run there in 2014, and particularly if Obama wins re-election, I suspect by quite competitive there then, particularly bearing in mind that the Dem PVI's are way overstated in this area, maybe by as much as by 6 points. But that Dem point overstatement suggests that Hultgren won't be losing this year. And so it goes. 
Ah, whoops.  I looked at the redistricted state assembly maps, and I guess the 13th (which I believe muon represented before the census) has been moved south.  I think Obama will win reelection; perhaps his coattails will be enough to unseat Hultgren.  I think we need to hear from muon on this.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2012, 02:41:55 PM »

I'm sure he's glad to heat some non-voting age teens that don't live in IL want him to run for Congress. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies