Victoria, Australia, by-elections in the life of the 57th Parliament (2010-2014)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:40:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Victoria, Australia, by-elections in the life of the 57th Parliament (2010-2014)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Victoria, Australia, by-elections in the life of the 57th Parliament (2010-2014)  (Read 7651 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
« edited: January 19, 2011, 05:44:41 PM by Smid »

So The Age reports that the by-election in Broadmeadows, triggered by the retirement of former Premier John Brumby, will be held on 19 February 2011.

The seat is held by Labor by a very large margin. Labor polled 62.29% of the primary vote and 70.98% of the 2PP. The 2PP swing against Labor was about 10%, read into that what you will.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:46:13 PM »

Nice safe seat for whoever's lucky enough to get the nod.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »

Again, according to The Age, the Liberal Party will not be nominating a candidate to challenge in the by-election.

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 05:50:47 PM »

Another article in The Age talks with Labor's candidate from the wealthy suburb of beachside Brighton who is running for the battler electorate of Broadmeadows. The article exceeds the maximum length for Atlas, so I’ll split it across two posts.

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

It's not split perfectly - given that it separates the two sentences in the middle where the whole cycling/pedalling analogy originates, but I think it was the best point to split it - between the interview with Labor's previous star candidate, Mary Delahunty, and Frank McGuire's background and personal history.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:21:13 AM »

So the Broadmeadows by-election was held on Saturday.

Unsurprisingly, the Labor candidate, Frank McGuire, won the seat.

The Labor Party's primary vote fell about 22% from the November election, to about 53% (I'll update this later, once they finish counting postals and pre-polls). The 2CP result was determined by the VEC to be Labor vs Greens prior to the night, so it is showing a swing to Labor, however I am pretty sure that following the full distribution of preferences, the final 2CP will be Labor vs Independent.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »

Bumping an old thread to include the news that the former Brumby Government Deputy Premier, Rob Hulls, has announced his retirement. His seat of Niddrie was held by Labor in the November 2010 election with a 2PP vote of 56.95%. There were five independents who ran against him (the highest number of independent and total candidates in any electorate). The primary results were:

Labor - 14,435 (45.76%)
Liberal - 11,000 (34.10%)
Greens - 2,451 (7.77%)
Family First - 1,263 (4.00%)
Independent 1 - 1,516 (4.81%)
Independent 2 - 499 (1.58%)
Independent 3 - 162 (0.51%)
Independent 4 - 140 (0.44%)
Independent 5 - 131 (0.42%)

The large number of candidates, and relatively high proportion of people speaking a language other than English at home (Italian, I'd suspect, partially from knowing the area a little, and partially from other demographic maps showing the high proportion of Catholics in the electorate - one of the highest in the state, I think... anyway, the religion isn't Greek Orthodox...) probably both contributed to the highest informal vote in the 2010 state election - 2,865 (8.33%), which is higher than the margin (so theoretically could have affected the election result, but I think we all know that Hulls would have been elected regardless of it being theoretically possible).

Anyway, without further ado, here's the Herald Sun story. I'll post a link to Antony Green's page once he's uploaded his analysis.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »

Antony Green has prepared a page detailing the by-election, with his usual thorough analysis of the seat, the retiring member and historic results.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

I find it unusual that a Party (as per Antony Greens page) don't field candidates. That seems to be common place in Australia and i think the UK (?). The Port Adelaide and Ramsay SA by-elections will also not have Liberal candidates.
Why is this the norm down under? Here its unheard of for parties not to field candidates... even in ridings considered un-winnable (i.e the tories will no doubt run in Toronto-Danforth, even thougth they will never win)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »

I find it unusual that a Party (as per Antony Greens page) don't field candidates. That seems to be common place in Australia and i think the UK (?). The Port Adelaide and Ramsay SA by-elections will also not have Liberal candidates.
Why is this the norm down under? Here its unheard of for parties not to field candidates... even in ridings considered un-winnable (i.e the tories will no doubt run in Toronto-Danforth, even thougth they will never win)

The PLQ didn't field a candidate against Marois in the 2007 Charlevoix by-election, and that's usually been the case for such affairs in Quebec.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

Really? a courtesy?
I still think it can be a wasted opportunity... i do remember the Liberals running in the Penrith NSW by-election which was seen as a huge upset cause the electorate had been Labour forever from what i know.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »

Well, it is more or less a tradition to let new party leaders in, without much opposition, from the Liberals.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »

It's generally quite strategic. Penrith was contested because, while having been held just once (?) previously by the Liberals, the area was Liberal-held federally throughout the Howard years and the seat was winnable, especially with polls showing the hammering awaiting Labor, and the swings during the previous round of by-elections (Ryde, Lakemba, Port Macquarie and another seat which I forget).

Going back a bit longer, federally the Liberals didn't contest the Cunningham by-election, centred on the industrial town of Woolloongong, and the Greens picked up the seat because Liberal voters were willing to vote Green to defeat Labor, and some Labor voters, upset at the mid-term retirement of their MP (and consequent cost of a by-election), were also prepared to vote Green, whereas they may have not voted Liberal if there had been a candidate. If the Liberals had fielded a candidate, the Greens would have finished third and Labor won on their preferences, however by not fielding a candidate, the Greens actually won the seat off Labor.

Sometimes it pays to run, though - Labor almost decided to not run in the Ryan by-election (federal), but endorsed a candidate who ended up winning in a surprise upset (first time the seat didn't go Liberal in its 50-year history).

Labor didn't field a candidate in the Higgins by-election, which is affluent but contains some inner-suburbs where the Greens can potentially do well. This was at the same time as Rudd was enjoying his extended honeymoon as Prime Minister and the Liberals (then under Turnbull, although the leadership change happened I think a week before the by-election) were polling poorly, so Labor believed that by not running they were maximising the chance of the Greens stealing the seat, although it didn't pan out that way.

The difference between by-election and general election is that in the general election candidates need to be fielded in all the seats, since a presence at polling booths increases a party's vote and this flows through to the Upper House, however in a by-election, there is no need to maximise a party's vote in the Upper House, so therefore no need to field a candidate and spend campaign funds on a seat that the party cannot win, especially if it could potentially cause an upset for the other party by allowing a candidate who would otherwise finish lower than the party, sneak in on preferences.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »

One other significant difference between Australia and Canada is compulsory voting. If the Tories don't run in T-D, tory voters just won't show up to vote. In Australia, since voting is compulsory, they'd show up to vote and without a tory candidate, would probably vote Liberal, and could potentially throw a spanner in the works for the NDP.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:52 AM »

One other significant difference between Australia and Canada is compulsory voting. If the Tories don't run in T-D, tory voters just won't show up to vote. In Australia, since voting is compulsory, they'd show up to vote and without a tory candidate, would probably vote Liberal, and could potentially throw a spanner in the works for the NDP.

Thanks, great history too on by-elections, i followed all of them and always found it odd... But Australia unlike Canada uses the AV preference system so parties can play around strategically like that. Here we have FPTP and no manditory voting... so by-elections usually have less then 50% turnout unless its hotly contested or a marginal/winnable riding for more than one party. If we go by May 2011 results, tories and liberal combined would still not win since the NDP won with 60%+ but that was with Jack.

Also Australia can and tends to elect a large number (comparatively so) of Independants.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 04:05:39 AM »
« Edited: February 08, 2012, 04:07:56 AM by Smid »

News Item in the Herald Sun

Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 02:34:39 AM »

So in addition to today's Queensland state election, the Niddrie by-election in Melbourne's west also occurred. Polls closed half an hour ago. Results should be up at www.vec.vic.gov.au - to avoid confusion, and in case you missed the earlier commentary, there is no Liberal candidate, so 2CP is likely to be Labor vs Greens.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »

ALP hold with 46% of first preferences and 71% of the 2PP thingy.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:00 AM »

State Member for Melbourne, Bronwyn Pike, resigns from Parliament.

Of course, in Melbourne, the Greens outpolled the Liberals, so it's a marginal Labor vs Green seat. The Electoral Commission always publishes Labor vs Coalition 2PP in the Report into the election, and on that basis the seat becomes very safe Labor. Greens are obviously the bigger threat to Labor in this seat.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 03:51:29 AM »

So the by-election is tomorrow. The Greens are the firm favourite, but Labor has won it at every election since 1908. Labor has been talking down its chances, leaking an internal poll last week showing them trailing the Greens, and blaming the federal government. Of course, if any electorate can resist a swing against Labor due to the Carbon Tax, it would be this seat, which is entirely within the federal boundaries of the only seat held by the Greens.

ReachTel published a poll with Labor trailing the Greens on primary vote, 38-36, so preferences will play a vital role. The Catholic Church emailed parents with children in Catholic schools, endorsing Labor, due to the Greens policy of refunding church-run schools. The Sex Party also will be preferencing Labor due to"anti-sex morality"from some in the feminist wing of the Greens.

I think Labor I'd talking down their chances so they have a good news story to tell when they scrape across the line in a seat they've held for over a century, but people seem to think the Greens are just about home and hosed. The results will be very interesting, regardless.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »

Looks like I might be wrong... Labor 31%, Greens 40%. I'm not sure what booths are reporting, though, and the electorate is polarised between Labor and the Greens, plus good Liberal booths in Docklands and East Melbourne, so early results may not reflect final results.

Sex Party 7% and Stephen Mayne 4.5%.

I think North Melbourne East should be good for Labor, but they're trailing there, so that's good news for the Greens. Only it and Parkville returning at this stage.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 05:30:30 AM »

More booths in, Labor has improved slightly, but only has a plurality in the Gotham Hill booth, which I think was they're strongest both in the General. I think a fair number of housing commission towers in that part of the electorate, but I could be wrong.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2012, 06:01:29 AM »

The best part of this might be the Sex Party sitting on 7%...
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2012, 06:14:21 AM »

The best part of this might be the Sex Party sitting on 7%...

I know! First time they've received their public funding?

I may not be quite so wrong... Labor at 50.37%. Looks like Liberal voters were the most reliable Labor vote, judging from the results in the East Melbourne booth...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »

You're quite good at this, aren't you Grin
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies