Victoria, Australia, by-elections in the life of the 57th Parliament (2010-2014) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:13:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Victoria, Australia, by-elections in the life of the 57th Parliament (2010-2014) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Victoria, Australia, by-elections in the life of the 57th Parliament (2010-2014)  (Read 7693 times)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« on: January 30, 2012, 11:27:34 AM »

I find it unusual that a Party (as per Antony Greens page) don't field candidates. That seems to be common place in Australia and i think the UK (?). The Port Adelaide and Ramsay SA by-elections will also not have Liberal candidates.
Why is this the norm down under? Here its unheard of for parties not to field candidates... even in ridings considered un-winnable (i.e the tories will no doubt run in Toronto-Danforth, even thougth they will never win)
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 03:11:58 PM »

Really? a courtesy?
I still think it can be a wasted opportunity... i do remember the Liberals running in the Penrith NSW by-election which was seen as a huge upset cause the electorate had been Labour forever from what i know.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 08:11:52 AM »

Why is this the norm down under? Here its unheard of for parties not to field candidates... even in ridings considered un-winnable (i.e the tories will no doubt run in Toronto-Danforth, even thougth they will never win)

One other significant difference between Australia and Canada is compulsory voting. If the Tories don't run in T-D, tory voters just won't show up to vote. In Australia, since voting is compulsory, they'd show up to vote and without a tory candidate, would probably vote Liberal, and could potentially throw a spanner in the works for the NDP.

Thanks, great history too on by-elections, i followed all of them and always found it odd... But Australia unlike Canada uses the AV preference system so parties can play around strategically like that. Here we have FPTP and no manditory voting... so by-elections usually have less then 50% turnout unless its hotly contested or a marginal/winnable riding for more than one party. If we go by May 2011 results, tories and liberal combined would still not win since the NDP won with 60%+ but that was with Jack.

Also Australia can and tends to elect a large number (comparatively so) of Independants.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies