Are you Jewish?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:50:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you Jewish?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are you Jewish either ethnically or in terms of religion, or in any sense?
I am a Jew.

I am not a Jew.

Other, please explain.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Are you Jewish?  (Read 2516 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:34:19 AM »

I just thought about this because I was thinking of the astonishing number of times I have been confronted by antisemitism from a strange source here in Thailand - German expats.  They almost always think I am a Jew because of my appearance and manner (not unlike Woody Allen).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:35 AM »

I am a goy.  One of my best friends since childhood is Jewish, though (well.. she's atheist now.. but her mom is a Jew so I guess she is a non-practicing one).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:43:40 AM »

Not to my knowledge.

A former colleague of mine is a Jew. He also has a pretty strange combination of ideologies. On foreign policy and immigrants/Islam he was a hardcore conservative, on everything else he was a hardcore Marxist. I guess you could call him a honest or back-to-the-roots neo-con. Tongue He literally listed Karl Marx and George W. Bush as his favorite politicians/political philosophers on his Facebook page.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 05:49:26 AM »

Not that I know of.  I do have a strange affection towards them though.
Not to my knowledge.

A former colleague of mine is a Jew. He also has a pretty strange combination of ideologies. On foreign policy and immigrants/Islam he was a hardcore conservative, on everything else he was a hardcore Marxist. I guess you could call him a honest or back-to-the-roots neo-con. Tongue He literally listed Karl Marx and George W. Bush as his favorite politicians/political philosophers on his Facebook page.
Sounds like your former colleague wants/needs attention.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »

Nope, never met a Jew in my life.
There was in my Navy class but I never personally interacted with him.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:56:33 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 05:58:49 AM by Kirk & Spock technique »

Not that I know of.  I do have a strange affection towards them though.
Not to my knowledge.

No, he was serious about it. Apparently, he was originally a true communist, but after 9/11 or so he shifted his foreign policy views to a neo-con position, while retaining the other stuff.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:19 AM »

Not that I know of.  I do have a strange affection towards them though.
Not to my knowledge.

No, he was serious about it. Apparently, he was originally a true communist, but after 9/11 or so he shifted his foreign policy views to a neo-con position, while retaining the other stuff.
He wouldn't be much of a "true communist" if he could so easily get behind Bush the Lesser...no matter how much he enjoyed watching brown people die.

(on the other hand, I clearly have no idea what "communist" means anymore as everything historians, history books and wikipedia have ever told me about communism and what people and states have been communists was wrong)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:44:43 AM »

I guess the answer is "no" because I'm neither Jewish in religious terms, and I only have a part of Jewish blood: not enough to be considered one.

Let's say I have some Jewish ancestry instead Smiley
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »

I'm a 1/4 Jewish, but I don't have any connection to it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

No, but people often assume that I am because of my surname. Though, weirdly, the other week a couple of drunks on a train (I hate to say it but they were Irish. I'd give details but they were so horrifically stereotypical that I'd sound like a total racist) assumed that I was despite (obviously) not knowing my name. At a guess they based that off the beard. Which makes a change from people assuming that I must be some kind of Islamic suicide bomber based on the same thing...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52:26 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 09:24:08 AM by Juck the Fets »

Dude, don't you think Greece's location on the map lends itself to the possibility of Jews and Africans intermingling, shall we say, with the Greek population?  

We might have a lil bit of everything in us  Smiley
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »

Yes, though not particularly observant.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 09:43:10 AM »

I just thought about this because I was thinking of the astonishing number of times I have been confronted by antisemitism from a strange source here in Thailand - German expats.  They almost always think I am a Jew because of my appearance and manner (not unlike Woody Allen).

How do they express it?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 10:11:58 AM »

No.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »

Supposedly, since my great grandmother was and it's been passed down through the women according to Jew rules.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »

Supposedly, since my great grandmother was and it's been passed down through the women according to Jew rules.

That's right,  you're a jew!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »

I guess the answer is "no" because I'm neither Jewish in religious terms, and I only have a part of Jewish blood: not enough to be considered one.

Let's say I have some Jewish ancestry instead Smiley

Was any of your family from Vilnius, Hrodna, Polotsk, or Vitebsk? Maybe we're distant cousins after all.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

How do they express it?

"Hey, opebo, no offense.  You look a little bit like.. you know.. Jew.  Heh heh." - from a grinning Aryan monstrosity.

This in context of general or generic anti-Semitic statements that the persons in question come out with regularly.

The other kind, from people I don't know is just a fatuous 'Woody!' when they see me - this more often from Italians or suchlike.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 12:00:05 PM by Torie »

100% WASP, with each and every known blood line traced to the island of Great Britain. I probably would have impressed Hitler with my blood lines.  Tongue

But I have lived and been educated amongst, and worked and socialized with Jews for so long, that except for appearance perhaps, at this point I may be deemed essentially fungible. Smiley
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »

How do they express it?

"Hey, opebo, no offense.  You look a little bit like.. you know.. Jew.  Heh heh." - from a grinning Aryan monstrosity.

This in context of general or generic anti-Semitic statements that the persons in question come out with regularly.

The other kind, from people I don't know is just a fatuous 'Woody!' when they see me - this more often from Italians or suchlike.

I'm sure that German sex tourists are interesting characters.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 12:14:44 PM »

How do they express it?

I'm sure that German sex tourists are interesting characters.

It is the Russian ones that I found discommoding in Thailand in general - in every way. And I kept wondering where they all got their money that they were so freely slinging around, including guys in their 20's.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 12:35:25 PM by opebo »

In general sex tourists are always more interesting than non-sex-tourists, but the Germans I was referring to were not sex tourists.  I actually have no friends and few acquaintances from that group.

It is the Russian ones that I found discommoding in Thailand in general - in every way. And I kept wondering where they all got their money that they were so freely slinging around, including guys in their 20's.

Very few Russians who come to Thailand are sex tourists, Torie.  The vast majority of them are the bizarre and disgusting new type of tourist - non-sex tourists.  They generally 'bring their own' tarts with them.  There are also quite a few Russian expats now, mostly here to 'do business', and a fair number of them are mafia or close to it.

It is in fact a litany with Thais in general that "Russians are bad", and with the working girls in particularly that "Russians not go with Thai girl".  

In a related story, it is true that for many Thai guys, if they've been with a white girl, it is probably a Russian or something like a Russian.  They're available here but overpriced and just as unpleasant as one would expect.  When I went to Pattaya with a group of Thai friends, the 'wild man' of the group roamed the streets, leading us in a little chant of "UZBECK, UZBECK!" that which he sought for the evening.

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 12:39:38 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 12:42:04 PM by Juck the Fets »

Are the ruskie babes normally so fugly, opebo?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 01:07:16 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2011, 02:11:36 PM by Landslide Lyndon »

Dude, don't you think Greece's location on the map lends itself to the possibility of Jews and Africans intermingling, shall we say, with the Greek population?  

We might have a lil bit of everything in us  Smiley

Maybe you're right. I know that a distant cousin married a Jewish woman, after she converted to Greek Orthodox.

The thing is that our society until very recently frowned upon intermingling and we didn't have so many Jews to start with, especially after WWII.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »

Nope, but I've been mistaken for it though, especially here at Jewlane.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies