No Macaca
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:15:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  No Macaca
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Macaca  (Read 1858 times)
jbgator
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2011, 03:30:40 PM »

I'm new to the forum so if this has been discussed sorry.  If George Allen never had the racial controversy (including macaca, his Jewish ancestry denial, etc) and had won reelection, would he have been the GOP nominee?  And would he have won the election?  I'd say yes/no, and he would be the frontrunner for 2012.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »

He was considered a contender until the scandal, and even somewhat after. I don't think he would have been the GOP nominee, but I think he would have been competitive in some early states. He wouldn't have beaten Obama in the General Election. Virginia and North Carolina would probably flip, and maybe Indiana.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 03:54:05 PM »

He was considered a contender until the scandal, and even somewhat after. I don't think he would have been the GOP nominee, but I think he would have been competitive in some early states. He wouldn't have beaten Obama in the General Election. Virginia and North Carolina would probably flip, and maybe Indiana.

^ This about says it.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »

I think that if he didnt have that whole drama going on, he would have been the only one to really give McCain a run for the money. I still believe that if he didnt say that, he would have been re-elected with atleast 56%, and would have made a perfect VP candidate for McCain in 2008. I'm sure his presense would have been enough to keep Virginia and North Carolina in the republican side.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:23 PM »

Allen would have comfortably won re-election to the Senate, but something tells me he wouldn't run in 2008 anyway. That said, he'd be a major player right now, in the 2012 race.

I don't think Allen would have won if he were a candidate in the 2008 election either way, if he were to run. That said, both Allen and McCain/Allen would do better than McCain/Palin in 2008:

I could see VA, NC, IN, and NE-2 going R in this 2008 scenario.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »

Nah, He wouldn't have won the nomination, but he could have been a serious contender. This assumes, of course, that his victory is large enough to remain credible.

I think more interesting, perhaps, is what would lie in wait for him in 2012. Given the fact that Republicans like to get to know a candidate over two-to-three cycles before they nominate them, he could have been talked about as potential 2012 presidential candidate, as well.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 09:18:55 PM »

I think more interesting, perhaps, is what would lie in wait for him in 2012. Given the fact that Republicans like to get to know a candidate over two-to-three cycles before they nominate them, he could have been talked about as potential 2012 presidential candidate, as well.

Yeah, the Republicans have historically nominated people they feel they're comfortable with rather than rising stars. Democrats nominate Kennedys, Carters, Clintons, and Obamas whiel Republicans nominate Nixons, Reagans, Bushes, Doles, and McCains. I've always found that interesting and am wondering how that will play out in 2012.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »

Allen may have run in 2008, and probably would have done fairly well. I could see him splitting the conservative vote in Iowa, possibly helping Romney. If Romney wins Iowa than he probably wins the nomination. If Allen wins there than he could be the frontrunner. If Huckabee still wins than McCain still wins the nomination. If McCain is the nominee I could see him choosing Allen to be his running mate. He would be a good conservative choice without the negatives that Romney and Pawlenty brought to the table, and without Palin's craziness.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies