Republicans and New England House Seats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:52:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republicans and New England House Seats
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How many House seats will Republicans hold in New England after the 2012 election?

5 or more

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Republicans and New England House Seats  (Read 3195 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:32:13 PM »

They did slightly worse than expected last fall, but there are pickup opportunities in Connecticut, and I don't really see Bass and Guinta getting thrown out unless Palin is the nominee.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »

Bass has ethical problems. If they get worse, his goose is cooked. If not he should win reelection.

Guinta is a weak candidate but incumbency should keep him in barring a wave or landslide for Obama.

CT-05 "might" go Republican if open in a neutral or GOP environment with a strong candidate. CT-04 could in a special election with McKinney as the nominee but probably not in any other scenario.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:56:38 PM »

You really ought to wait for re-districting. It's possible that only NH will have any GOP opportunities and it's doubtful Bass can defeat Kuster again.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »

You really ought to wait for re-districting. It's possible that only NH will have any GOP opportunities and it's doubtful Bass can defeat Kuster again.

You're saying that there might be gerrymandering in Connecticut?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »

They have some legal limits to what they can do, but within those limits they're fairly well gerrymandered right now. They only need to undo that to drastically reduce the GOP's chances in the 5th.

Considerable parts of Bass' district is headed Vermont way. It's exceedingly unlikely that it can ever be a safe GOP seat again, though if 2012 turns out favorable and/or he gets a weak opponent, he certainly could hang on. Thus the most plausible answers are 0 and 1. I went with 1.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »

Yeah, with the 5th made more Democratic and maybe the 4th as well, Republicans have no where to go here. If Bysiewicz wins the Democratic primary for Senate, the Senate race will be more competitive than the House races.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 05:42:03 PM »

I would presume that all New England incumbents up for election in 2012 are favored for re-election unless something changes.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »

Bush won 1 of the 5 CT districts in 2004. And since they require a 2/3 margin to redistrict, I suppose CT GOP members might as well punt or go for minimal change.

Looks like it was the 5th, which will probably be open in 2012.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:27:42 PM »

Bush won 1 of the 5 CT districts in 2004. And since they require a 2/3 margin to redistrict, I suppose CT GOP members might as well punt or go for minimal change.

Kerry actually won the fifth. 
xavier110
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »

Bass is not surviving. I expect Guinta to hold on.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 07:11:32 PM »

I wonder if Lamontagne can primary Bass from the right. He'd actually be a stronger candidate than Bass too.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »

They have some legal limits to what they can do, but within those limits they're fairly well gerrymandered right now. They only need to undo that to drastically reduce the GOP's chances in the 5th.

Considerable parts of Bass' district is headed Vermont way. It's exceedingly unlikely that it can ever be a safe GOP seat again, though if 2012 turns out favorable and/or he gets a weak opponent, he certainly could hang on. Thus the most plausible answers are 0 and 1. I went with 1.

I agree with Lewis. Bass is just one tier above certified one-termers like Allen West.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 08:01:40 PM »

Kerry actually won the fifth. 

Ah, youre right, but by a very small margin. Either way, CT GOPers should maintain that district if possible.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »

I wonder if Lamontagne can primary Bass from the right. He'd actually be a stronger candidate than Bass too.

Isn't he in the other district? Ayotte does live in the second, as did Judd Gregg before her.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »

The CT GOP can't decide whether it wants to appeal to the socially conservative working class whites or the wealthy social liberals that make up places like CT-04. It's increasingly difficult to do both.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »

Isn't he in the other district? Ayotte does live in the second, as did Judd Gregg before her.

Not sure but I don't think moving to the other district matters. Regionalism isn't rampant in NH.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 09:10:31 PM »

Ovide is from Manchester, I believe, which is in the 1st.

My guess is they'll have between 1 and 3 seats. Guinta will probably stay on in NH-01; he's a bad candidate but that's the most Republican district in the region. Bass is 50/50, given his mediocre performance when every other Republican was doing well in the state. They'll probably have a decent shot at CT-05, since it's open, but if Obama's win there is anything like his win in 2008, it'll make things hard for them to pick it up. Nothing else will be competitive, short of a surprise scandal or an open ME-02.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 11:17:07 PM »

Not sure but I don't think moving to the other district matters. Regionalism isn't rampant in NH.
'Specially as the district map doesn't very well reflect the main cleavages.

The CT GOP can't decide whether it wants to appeal to the socially conservative working class whites or the wealthy social liberals that make up places like CT-04. It's increasingly difficult to do both.
Aren't Democrats faced with the same question? Tongue
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 11:55:19 PM »

No, because they have the minorities and the unions.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 02:25:07 AM »

That just means they always win if both parties are roughly equally successful at attracting the groups described above, though.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »

That just means they always win if both parties are roughly equally successful at attracting the groups described above, though.

Precisely. So while the  GOP has to figure out the social liberals and the working class at the same time, the Democrats only need 1 or the other.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 03:00:49 AM »

I agree with Lewis. Bass is just one tier above certified one-termers like Allen West.

Bass is several tiers above, considering that this is his seventh term. Non-consecutive, yes, but still. Seventh term.

For 2012 to be as ugly for him as 2010, you need to (ironically!) assume 2012 will be as ugly an anti-incumbent year as 2010 was. Bass isn't safe, but the assumptions that he's a goner require a number of different planets to align.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »

Bass is several tiers above, considering that this is his seventh term. Non-consecutive, yes, but still. Seventh term.

For 2012 to be as ugly for him as 2010, you need to (ironically!) assume 2012 will be as ugly an anti-incumbent year as 2010 was. Bass isn't safe, but the assumptions that he's a goner require a number of different planets to align.

Bass ran an abysmal campaign in 2010 (again) and almost lost to an opponent with no prior elective experience and with far less money. He represents a D+3 district and he is ethically challenged.
I don't know what else he must do to be considered very vulnerable.
Nichlemn

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 08:03:54 AM »

Bass ran an abysmal campaign in 2010 (again) and almost lost to an opponent with no prior elective experience and with far less money. He represents a D+3 district and he is ethically challenged.
I don't know what else he must do to be considered very vulnerable.

Also, the fact that he was a quasi-incumbent already meant that the normal incumbency boost is unlikely to apply to him in 2012.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »

The Republicans pounded the Democrat with ads all season in NH-2 for supporting Obama's tax hike, Medicare cutting agenda and she still almost won. I don't know what this means for 2012 but she didn't sneak into a very close second place.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies