What issues do you dislike the people who 'side' with you on? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:02:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What issues do you dislike the people who 'side' with you on? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What issues do you dislike the people who 'side' with you on?  (Read 5979 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: January 28, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »

You mean people like PETA that you want to beat the crap of or Julian Assange who might be a rapist?

Hmmmm... I guess people who passionately oppose gun control are people I agree with and think can be funny, but I think are ridiculous Dale Gribble-like stereotypes for the most part.

...and for the strangest reason, it might be harder to get laid by a pro-choice girl than a pro-life one. Which doesn't bode well for me.

...and I have noticed that I generally get along better with people who have value systems that I find unacceptable....though I have been working harder on preventing that. lol.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »

I also dislike those who are better described as anti-choice pro-abortion rather than pro-life pro-choice and take the stance for all the wrong reasons.

This accurately sums up what I said above. So it seems like both sides on abortion hate many on their own side (not a surprise really.)
Especially when pro-choicers get into arguments on why you are supposed to be pro-choice. Once I saw this argument between those who claimed that they were "pro-choice" because no one could prove that a fetus was a person and therefore it was just a way to make new people up to take away the liberty of people who in fact exist and those who were "pro-choice" because though they believed a fetus was a person, they didn't believe in forcing those beliefs on others. So, its really a debate on whether its a straight bioethical debate or constitutional debate.

On the other hand, "pro-lifers" the honest debate amongst them is that there are those who think that abortion is THE SAME as homicide and should be prosecuted as such and those who are "pro-life" who beleive that "killing babies" was irresponsible and that the state's interest in preventing or punishing abortion should be to perserve chasity and marriage by making it so that when people have sex, they would eventually have to stop having sex and raise a child instead....or else go to prision. So, basically  "pro-lifers" are torn on whether abortion is a violent crime or a drug/sex crime or both or neither.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »

A lot of death penalty opponents arguments about how only 'barbaric' societies still have the death penalty (because japan, south korea, etc. are medieval hell holes obviously) and implication that only bloodthirsty HP would want such a thing bother me.
It's not a bad argument....though trying to accuse dp (dp...hehe) proponents of having some sort of moral defect isn't the way to go. The point here is that the United States needs to be a leader, not a follower in the world.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »

Abortion. I live in a Pro-Life city, and I am Pro-Life, and I really hate debating Pro-Choicers because most of them here don't try to debate  normally.

This is where you talk about people you agree with, but still can't get along with. For the longest time, most of my friends were Republicans and most Democrats I knew didn't like me. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 09:15:06 AM »

Abortion. I live in a Pro-Life city, and I am Pro-Life, and I really hate debating Pro-Choicers because most of them here don't try to debate  normally.

This is where you talk about people you agree with, but still can't get along with. For the longest time, most of my friends were Republicans and most Democrats I knew didn't like me. 

Oh, misread it haha!

In that case, Unions. I agree with the leftists on it, but they go nuts when the GOP threatens the unions.

Then again, the unions in this country are an endangered species.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »

People who are fiscally libertarian and socially ultra-conservative at the same time.

If you believe in smaller government, it needs to apply to all issues.  

If you believe in a Biblical application of public policy, then you need to observe Biblical teachings about how we are to relate one another and God's admonishment of greed and wealth in favor of modesty and charity.
I think that's a pretty universal critique of the American Far-Right, made even by mainstream Right-Wingers like you. The point is not to forget that their policy isn't based so much on Christianity as its based on American Nationalism as written by William F. Buckley. He's kind of our own little Mousilini or Nasser or a corpratist Ataturk.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »

People who are fiscally libertarian and socially ultra-conservative at the same time.

If you believe in smaller government, it needs to apply to all issues.  

If you believe in a Biblical application of public policy, then you need to observe Biblical teachings about how we are to relate one another and God's admonishment of greed and wealth in favor of modesty and charity.
I think that's a pretty universal critique of the American Far-Right, made even by mainstream Right-Wingers like you. The point is not to forget that their policy isn't based so much on Christianity as its based on American Nationalism as written by William F. Buckley.

That's pretty funny considering he was on the board of amnesty international and a delegate to the UN. If anything Buckley was responsible divorcing the right from its traditional, isolationistic, 'un-respectable' roots in favor of something more centralized and internationalistic.

TL;DR: People like Buckley are exactly the reason we have 'conservative' Republicans like Don.
Well, what would you call "fusionism" then? Amnesty International could be seen as an organization that could be hijacked by neo-cons and the UN, as advo, could be a major asset for US force projection and again, neo-conservatism.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 08:26:42 PM »

Perhaps it exists simply because Republicans want to kill and steal and still believe in God.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »

I find that too many libertarians are culturally conservative/anti-feminist.
That's what you call a conservative, right?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies