Some California 2004 results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:36:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Some California 2004 results
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some California 2004 results  (Read 7781 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:39:57 AM »

Berkeley went 91.22% for Kerry, but got beaten by San Francisco's 8th supervisor district (includes the Castro), 91.42%.

In the middle of Central Valley, Huron managed 80.35% for Kerry.

In Imperial County, Holtville had 479 votes for both Kerry and Bush.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 03:56:12 AM »

Berkeley went 91.22% for Kerry, but got beaten by San Francisco's 8th supervisor district (includes the Castro), 91.42%.

In the middle of Central Valley, Huron managed 80.35% for Kerry.

In Imperial County, Holtville had 479 votes for both Kerry and Bush.

Huron is upwards of 95% Latino and over 50% foreign born.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 04:08:53 AM »

And the most Democratic town in California (generally) is one most people have never even heard of.  SF is like, what, sixth?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 04:34:39 AM »

And the most Democratic town in California (generally) is one most people have never even heard of.  SF is like, what, sixth?

What is it? I'm curious. Whats the most GOP town?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »

East Palo Alto

I want to say the most Republican is in Siskiyou Valley, somewhere in Scott County.  Fort Jones?  Montague?

Edit: Not close on Fort Jones, although Montague is 3rd.  The winner is Taft (81.2-17.2).

Edit-Edit: I was wrong, actually.  East Palo Alto was 1st in 2000, but slipped to 4th in 2004.  Berkeley (91.2-6.7) was first, then Compton (90.4-8.6) and Oakland (89.2-9.3).  EPA was 88.7-10.4.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:09:14 AM »

East Palo Alto

I want to say the most Republican is in Siskiyou Valley, somewhere in Scott County.  Fort Jones?  Montague?

Edit: Not close on Fort Jones, although Montague is 3rd.  The winner is Taft (81.2-17.2).

Edit-Edit: I was wrong, actually.  East Palo Alto was 1st in 2000, but slipped to 4th in 2004.  Berkeley (91.2-6.7) was first, then Compton (90.4-8.6) and Oakland (89.2-9.3).  EPA was 88.7-10.4.
These are not the kind of places I would be thinking of as "places no one's ever heard of". I thought here we'd go with a 500-inhabitant "city" somewhere near Oakland or South LA, but no...

Never heard of the Rep places you mention, though.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:50:15 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2008, 03:57:36 AM by Alcon »

Top five fun facts about Taft, California:

1. Taft's town slogan is "The Best of Places."

2. Every five years, Taft holds the Oildorado Festival.  During this time, those without beards are rounded up by a group called the Posse and put in The Hooscow.  Everyone wears cowboy regalia and exchanges wooden nickels.  The Oildoroado Queen is crowned.

3. The 1986 Robin Williams-Kurt Russell football comedy vehicle The Best of Times detailed the rivalry between Taft High School's team, and neighboring Bakersfield's.  It was widely panned.

4. Taft, California's economic world revolves around petroleum, with 30% of males employed directly in extraction work.  Other top industries include a jail and a kitty litter plant.

5. I thank God every day that I don't live in Taft, California.

As for the runners-up which aren't boring desert towns:

Fort Jones and Montague are part of an interesting area encompassing the Scott and Shasta Valleys of Siskiyou County.  Former gold territory, of course.  Poor, and now mostly focused on lumber and lumber processing.  Spotted Owl -> guns.  Politically, says it all.

Oddly, some tourism, too, which makes them being so hyper-Republican a little surprising.  Democrats have been very successful in struggling to majorities around Mount Shasta (town thereof, plus Dunsmuir, Weed and some of the countryside.)  The only explanation I can offer is that the other towns have a lot more to do with Yreka than Mount Shasta.  I guess, if you remove the cosmopolitan draw of Yreka... Tongue

I could say more, but the Siskiyou County Auditor is the worst human being on Earth (she tried to charge me $160 for precinct results for a county of 45,000 - wtf?).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 07:46:02 PM »

Why East Palo Alto? I understand the demographic reasons, but there are plenty of other "cities" (as Lewis termed it) just like it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:49:21 PM »

Why East Palo Alto? I understand the demographic reasons, but there are plenty of other "cities" (as Lewis termed it) just like it.

I was wrong, East Palo Alto won in 2000 but fell a few spots in 2004.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 01:05:22 AM »

Yes, but my question stands.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 01:46:14 AM »

I don't really know why the Hispanics in East Palo Alto are so liberal.  I doubt they are outnumbered by whites, maybe blacks.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 12:53:43 PM »

I don't really know why the Hispanics in East Palo Alto are so liberal.  I doubt they are outnumbered by whites, maybe blacks.

The only two things that set East Palo Alto apart are a really bad school system (by any standard) and the IKEA.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »

The only two things that set East Palo Alto apart are a really bad school system (by any standard) and the IKEA.

It's also basically the poorest city in the bay area. It might not have the poorest neighborhood, but the city as a whole is the poorest I do believe.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 12:01:30 AM »

Maybe the Shasta County results were expensive because it is so big and difficult to get around. I just was there and it took forever to get through that county. At least Mt. Shasta is beautiful...

A very different part of California though.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 04:17:19 AM »

Two precincts in Sacramento County (which tends to be very close to 50-50 itself) were ties between Kerry and Bush in 2004:

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1288117.html

I enjoyed the bit about the Prius with the bumper sticker saying "Too Poor to Vote Republican."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies