New York precinct map (new uses for Dave's redistricting app) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:41:56 am
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  New York precinct map (new uses for Dave's redistricting app) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York precinct map (new uses for Dave's redistricting app)  (Read 12635 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: January 30, 2011, 03:40:05 pm »

As usual, the racial map is very helpful.

Rockland County has some interesting polarization. I know what the dark blue is, of course, but what's up with the dark red to its east?

And what about what appears to be Far Rockaway in this shot? A quick search suggests it's an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, which makes sense given every other >84.5% R area is the same thing, I suppose... Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »

Williamsburg and Kew Gardens Hills also stick out as Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods.

Kind of puts the 2000-2004 swing into perspective, assuming Gore/Lieberman did better in these areas (I haven't actually checked, though I know some of the Rockland County precincts flipped from >90D to >90R).

And I was thinking the dark blue area was Ramapo, not Kiryas Joel, FWIW. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

Brooklyn is so much fun, I had to go look at Census data and label which areas have certain ethnic concentrations. No particular group stood out in the Midwood area (which is white and Republican), but I think it must still have a lot of Jews despite being pretty mixed. Hungarian probably had the most correlation with the Jewish neighborhoods---also to some extent with just plain old answers like "European" and "Eastern European," as well as (unsurprisingly) Israeli. Italians were in a lot of white neighborhoods, but I only noted the areas where they're really dominant. German/English is of course going to be the generic white American neighborhoods that we would associate with white liberals and hipsters. The Arabs appeared to be mostly Syrian, Lebanese, and Egyptian. The Lebanese were more concentrated in the west. Here is the map:

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »

^ The Census claims one person (who happens to be black) lives in the tract, in the portion in the SW (south of Belt Parkway). Don't ask me where specifically. Tongue
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:21 pm »

It appears to be Fort Hamilton, and is only 40% white.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:02:51 am »
« Edited: February 02, 2011, 12:06:30 am by bgwah »

That hook there in Red Hook is really uninhabited- just a cargo terminal IIRC. Right inland is the IKEA development- where you can get a water taxi to/from Lower Manhattan.

Word, I've walked to that IKEA...twice.   I'm just aiming for completeness in my thinkin' and had never thought about whether that hook is actually populated

bgwah, I just realized you may have created the original ethnic map?  If so, I didn't mean to be abstractly issuing complaints when you're posting in the thread haha, it's seriously one of the coolest maps ever

I created it using the Census' thematic map feature (though I had to combine multiple maps in Photoshop so it was more complicated than it sounds!)

Anyway, the link included a key. The light shade means >50% of that race, the mid-shade >75%, and the dark shade >90% IIRC. The blank/white tracts have no racial majority. I don't know why Fort Hamilton appears as water, though. But I made these maps a while ago. Tongue

But yeah, the 1 person tract is deceiving. You'll notice the Census also claims that Central Park has residents (who are also majority black).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies