We have an interesting special State House election tomorrow...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:44:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  We have an interesting special State House election tomorrow...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: We have an interesting special State House election tomorrow...  (Read 7189 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »

Don't be a douche, dude. You weren't even part of the discussion so to post that "response" just shows that you only wish to be an asshole.

Merely because it's a narrative you hear all the time from GOPhers:  "Usually, we have no shot at this inner-city district, but this time it's different!  The seat is vulnerable this time because of inane reason y.  We've nominated a community faith leader, who's black!  We're really excited and energized, and we think we have a great shot at winning!"
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 10:47:22 PM »

Hey, he only lost by 88 points, that's pretty close.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:22 PM »

wooow
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »

Don't be a douche, dude. You weren't even part of the discussion so to post that "response" just shows that you only wish to be an asshole.

Merely because it's a narrative you hear all the time from GOPhers:  "Usually, we have no shot at this inner-city district, but this time it's different!  The seat is vulnerable this time because of inane reason y.  We've nominated a community faith leader, who's black!  We're really excited and energized, and we think we have a great shot at winning!"

Point out where I said that the seat is vulnerable and I'll leave the forum. Point out where I said he has a great shot at winning and not only will I leave but I'll send you a check for $100.

I posted this because of the factors surrounding the special election. February special elections are rare. We were expecting a storm. If this was a special held any other time of year, I never would have posted this.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 11:59:25 PM »

Actually agree with wormyguy for once.

How much did Obama get in this district by the way?

Well we nominated the right person in 5B too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:55 AM »

On what? I never said this seat was vulnerable. He's just being a douchebag...oh...wait. Yeah, I understand why you agree with him now.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It was definitely a lot closer since McCain won the 26th Ward (the only Ward in Philly that he won).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:25 AM »

I just calculated it. 76% for Obama. Real swing district.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:06 AM »

I just calculated it. 76% for Obama. Real swing district.

A lot more swing than this result. The Republican got only a quarter of the percentage of McCain.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 12:31:59 AM »

Here's a fun game, try to draw a district in South Philly as strong for McCain as possible.

It's tricky because there's a large black neighborhood right north of the Republican area in question, and even drawing around it takes you to Democratic white areas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »

42% McCain. This is the best I could do:

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 01:58:17 AM »

Roll Eyes

Please, find where I ever tried to argue that. You have a real incentive to do so, too. If you find it, I'll leave the forum.

Wow, not totally unreasonable! I should take this to someone handling redistricting.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 08:51:24 AM »

I would be interested in how the Negro did in the Philadelphia Republican pockets included in the seat.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 09:09:14 AM »

Phil nails another PA election.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 11:17:59 AM »

I would be interested in how the Negro did in the Philadelphia Republican pockets included in the seat.

We won't get Ward and Division breakdowns for awhile since our grand City Commissioners (please note the heavy sarcasm) don't have the information online. They set up a temporary page for the total results coming out of Philly.

Lew probably didn't do well in the Republican pockets since that is where Donatucci lives and her Brother-in-law is the Dem Ward Leader. Like I said, their back was against the wall to perform in a not-so-ideal special election environment and they proved that they thrive in those situations.

Do you ever have anything to add aside from trolling? What was your take on the race a few days ago and why didn't you post it here? Didn't know or care what was happening? Great, that's what I thought. So don't troll.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »

I thought you were joking when you said the dem. won 94-6%. but, you weren't haha...
Yes, definitely, this was a surprising result. maybe it wouldn't have been if you hadn't made this thread xD
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 11:25:31 AM »

I thought you were joking when you said the dem. won 94-6%. but, you weren't haha...
Yes, definitely, this was a surprising result. maybe it wouldn't have been if you hadn't made this thread xD
Given that Obama got 76% here apparently...  we might not have taken note, but somebody somewhere would have considered it surprising.

Or not. Depending on their take on the causes of South Philadelphia Republicanism.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »

The local Dems would consider it surprising, too. She won't do that well in a General (which obviously favors the Dems because of turnout) unless she is unopposed and it was a special election in Philly in February while people were worried about a storm. Turnout was higher than expected.

But, of course, the usual trolls will surface to laugh about this despite putting their two cents in before the voting took place. They'll twist my words by saying I said this was a vulnerable seat or that the Republicans are on the rise in urban America because we ran a black candidate. I didn't say either of those things; I commented on the interesting circumstances surrounding this special. I'll take the heat for the margin but it was surprising to most.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2011, 11:50:12 AM by The Awful Truth of Loving »

I think the issue is more that there wasn't anything notable about this that required a new thread instead of the one we already have. Strong Democratic seat, Democrat wins. Not interesting. I didn't make a new thread about our special election which is another strong Democratic seat that should be easily held.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 11:51:54 AM »

I think the issue is more that there wasn't anything notable about this that required a new thread instead of the one we already have. Strong Democratic seat, Democrat wins. Not interesting. I didn't make a new thread about our special election which is another strong Democratic seat that should be easily held.

No, the issue was trying to make it seem like I said we'd win here, which I didn't. There were circumstances surrounding this specific election that set it apart from your special. Plus, that wasn't even a special, right? Wasn't it a primary? Totally not the same.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 11:57:49 AM »

No, the issue was trying to make it seem like I said we'd win here, which I didn't. There were circumstances surrounding this specific election that set it apart from your special. Plus, that wasn't even a special, right? Wasn't it a primary? Totally not the same.

And I won't be making a new thread for the special in two weeks which is also a special election in February.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »

And I won't be making a new thread for the special in two weeks which is also a special election in February.

How common are special elections in February there? Are you expecting a snow and ice storm? Even so, that's not as big of a deal there as it is here.

BRTD, frankly, I don't care what the hell you find worthy to be a thread but it would be nice if you would take the attitude here and apply it every time you have the urge to post stimulating topics like "Post your zip code" or "Do you know anyone in the city from the suburbs whose parents are from the city?" Seriously, dude, don't lecture anyone about what thread topics. It's like Jamespol complaining about trolls.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:05 PM »

Definitely a strong showing by the Philly machine it looks like.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »

Actually, in that area, it is a GOP landslide.  I voted in a special election bordering that district (they may overlap now, with redistricting) in the 1990's.  The Republican came in third.

In really bad weather, there was an outside shot for an upset.  The weather improved.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

Considering the Democrat won with >90%, you're not defining "upset" as the Republican actually winning, right?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »

Actually, in that area, it is a GOP landslide. 

lol
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies