Wife Beating in the Qur'an
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:10:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Wife Beating in the Qur'an
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wife Beating in the Qur'an  (Read 1501 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2011, 01:01:16 AM »

There seems to be some controversy over this, heavily agenda-ed on all sides. Based on the translation of verse 4:34, husbands are either allowed to beat their wives who are disobedient to them, or not. The controversy surrounds a single word, "idribuhunna", and whether it necessarily has the meaning "to beat" or "to leave"/"to report". Those that seek to defend Islam as a modern religion tend to argue that it means "to leave" or "to report", whereas traditional scholars as well as critics from outside Islam, such as Christians, tend to defend the meaning of "to beat". Anyone have any particular knowledge or interest on this subject you would like to share?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:50:53 AM »

My printed German Qur'an has "punish". The six English translations on Quran.com have, respectively "strike", "beat [lightly]", "scourge", "beat [lightly]", "beat", "strike [ie hit lightly]". Also worth pointing out that most translations try to make it clear that the list (admonish, end sexual relations, strike) is meant in the sense of try the first first, then if that doesn't work the second, then if that work the third.

Meh. The Bible admonishes us to spare our rods and to spoil our children.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »

My printed German Qur'an has "punish". The six English translations on Quran.com have, respectively "strike", "beat [lightly]", "scourge", "beat [lightly]", "beat", "strike [ie hit lightly]". Also worth pointing out that most translations try to make it clear that the list (admonish, end sexual relations, strike) is meant in the sense of try the first first, then if that doesn't work the second, then if that work the third.

I understand how you're thinking here, but I doubt that it's what the Quran says. Smiley

What seems to matter more is whether Muslims actually interpret it as allowing wife-beating. At least that's what I would think. And far too many seem to do so.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 11:38:24 AM »

All of the six English translations I quote are by Muslims.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »

I understand how you're thinking here, but I doubt that it's what the Quran says. Smiley

What seems to matter more is whether Muslims actually interpret it as allowing wife-beating. At least that's what I would think. And far too many seem to do so.

Well, considering the words "Holy" and "War" never appear together in the Quran, strange interpretations seem commonplace with it, as they do with the Bible.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:06 AM »

Did you see my bolding? Or am I just not getting what you're talking about?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:04:31 PM »

You bolded the fact that I forgot the word "doesn't". On which I stand guilty as charged but which I didn't deem worthy of comment.
Then you said something about Muslims, specifically, interpreting it to allow wife-beating. Which I replied to.
Or maybe I am indeed missing something. (Or maybe you meant, allowing wife beating without restrictions? That would be indeed a rather novel interpretation directly contradicted by the text.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 04:13:32 PM »

You bolded the fact that I forgot the word "doesn't". On which I stand guilty as charged but which I didn't deem worthy of comment.
Then you said something about Muslims, specifically, interpreting it to allow wife-beating. Which I replied to.
Or maybe I am indeed missing something. (Or maybe you meant, allowing wife beating without restrictions? That would be indeed a rather novel interpretation directly contradicted by the text.)

Because you left out the word "doesn't" the meaning became "end sexual relations and if that works, beat her" which I thought was a funny idea.

The rest wasn't specifically directed at you. But I guess your reply was in agreement with me then?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 04:15:06 PM »

Does it mention something about making a sandwich?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »

Would fall under adultery, I'm sure. And thus be totally forbidden.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 08:58:10 PM »

Would fall under adultery, I'm sure. And thus be totally forbidden.
Depends on who is the meat and who is the bread since Islam does explicitly endorse polygyny, but not all forms of it.  For example, those who fantasize about twins will need to find some other religion.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 09:10:07 AM »

Yikes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies