Mississippi House of Representatives--When will GOP Gain Control?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:12:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi House of Representatives--When will GOP Gain Control?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mississippi House of Representatives--When will GOP Gain Control?  (Read 4770 times)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:04:43 PM »
« edited: February 01, 2011, 11:08:27 PM by rbt48 »

Right now the Mississippi H of R is split 69D and 53R.  When do you think the GOP will take control?  
- In this coming November's election?
- In Nov 2015?  
- Or perhaps will there be nine party switchers before the November elections?
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »

Party switchers will give them control is my guess.

If not, than the election will give them a solid majority.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:25:54 AM »

My guess is in November.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 08:46:43 AM »

N3var! N3var I say!

Seriously? This november is a reasonable proposition. Party switchers during the 2011-5 term is another one.
rbt48

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »

N3var! N3var I say!

Seriously? This November is a reasonable proposition. Party switchers during the 2011-5 term is another one.
I should have included "not in the foreseeable future" as an option, I do admit.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 08:02:20 PM »

Well, party switchers often want to be members of the majority party because they're opportunistic SOBs. So they would probably wait until the November election to see what happens, I imagine... Though we shall see if they freak out and try to preemptively switch.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »

November at the latest.
rbt48

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 11:14:15 PM »

Well, it did turn out to be in the Nov 2011 election.  At latest count, I think it stands 65R, 57D.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 12:36:07 AM »

Well, it did turn out to be in the Nov 2011 election.  At latest count, I think it stands 65R, 57D.

Was there a second party switch in the House?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 06:56:07 AM »

Does it really matter? A good chunk of the Democrats are basically Republicans with a slight populist streak.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »

Does it really matter? A good chunk of the Democrats are basically Republicans with a slight populist streak.

Yes, I also prefer a House controlled by republicans who ran as republicans than one controlled by republicans who, I don't know why, decided to be labeled as "democrats" in this year elections..
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »

Yes, I also prefer a House controlled by republicans who ran as republicans than one controlled by republicans who, I don't know why, decided to be labeled as "democrats" in this year elections..

Same.  The Mississippi Democratic Party is as progressive as a 100-year-old woman from Alabama.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »

The difference between Republicans and white Democrats is that Republicans stand for a certain Republican message, whereas Democrats stand only for themselves.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »

Like myself!? Thats pretty much how I describe myself on my profile!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »

Nah, to the right of you even on fiscal issues.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »

I think I recall reading somewhere that nearly all Democrat legislators in Mississippi are black.  Is that true?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »

I think I recall reading somewhere that nearly all Democrat legislators in Mississippi are black.  Is that true?

'Last I heard, it was about 70-75%, but I could be wrong.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 05:23:29 AM »

Less so. After this election, by some counts, there was 37 black and 22 white Democrats in House. That's abiut 63% black. 1 (white, of course) already switched....
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 11:24:02 AM »

My dad has always said by 2020 or so, the Mississippi Legislature will consist of two things:  white Republicans and black Democrats.  He's probably right.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »

My dad has always said by 2020 or so, the Mississippi Legislature will consist of two things:  white Republicans and black Democrats.  He's probably right.

Unfortunately, there will always be some districts that are in the sweet spot for a White Democrat: Black percentage in the low forties.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »

Unfortunately, there will always be some districts that are in the sweet spot for a White Democrat: Black percentage in the low forties.
Why is that unfortunate?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »

Why is that unfortunate?

Because, as a partisan Republican, he wants the Democratic Party to look as black as possible in all southern states. Kind of like how many partisan Democrats want the Republican Party to look as Fundamentalist as possible, generally.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »

Why is that unfortunate?

Because, as a partisan Republican, he wants the Democratic Party to look as black as possible in all southern states. Kind of like how many partisan Democrats want the Republican Party to look as Fundamentalist as possible, generally.

1) You have presented speculation as to my motivations as fact. That's pathetic, and morally offensive.

2) You are simply wrong.

3) The claim that I am "a partisan Republican" is, again, your speculation presented as fact. At least this speculation on your part is based on some empirical observations. I have profound disagreements with the Left. Almost no Democratic candidates do. There is hardly an election where my political interests are further by the election of the Democrat. Is that hard for you to understand?

Had you read any of comments on Bush I, Bush II, or McCain you would radically rethink your assertion.

4) In district after district you see electorates that are about 45% Black of various ideologies, 45% Conservative, or Conservative-leaning and White, and 10% White liberal. I find it nondemocratic that those districts nearly uniformly represent the 10%.

5) Destroying White liberals as pernicious influence in Democratic primaries, hopefully, will create a dynamic where Black nominees are, also, conservative. Whether tweedle-dee or tweedle-are is elected, conservatism wins.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

How many times must the conservative myth of "blacks are mostly conservative and just vote Democratic out of habit" be disproven unit conservatives stop repeating it?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 01:03:34 PM »

How many times must the conservative myth of "blacks are mostly conservative and just vote Democratic out of habit" be disproven unit conservatives stop repeating it?

That "myth" simply isn't a myth. While I would agree that Blacks aren't particularly economically conservative, they are far from socially liberal. For instance, Black voters made the difference in upholding marrige in California.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies