Santorum 2012 = McGovern 1984?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:20:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Santorum 2012 = McGovern 1984?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum 2012 = McGovern 1984?  (Read 2276 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2011, 01:43:47 PM »

I see a few parallels. Santorum is far too conservative to win the nomination as McGovern was far too liberal to win the nomination. Both came from states where they didn't exactly fit in. McGovern tried to make a political comeback in 1984, after he lost re-election by 17-18 points (against a weak opponent at that). Santorum is running after he lost re-election by a similar margin.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:03:25 PM »

Sam Brownback 2007
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »

I see a few parallels. Santorum is far too conservative to win the nomination as McGovern was far too liberal to win the nomination. Both came from states where they didn't exactly fit in. McGovern tried to make a political comeback in 1984, after he lost re-election by 17-18 points (against a weak opponent at that). Santorum is running after he lost re-election by a similar margin.

Good one.

Of course George McGovern is a much more decent fellow and was a more astute politician (probably at serving the farm interests in South Dakota) than was Santorum. Of course, Pennsylvania has little in common with South Dakota, as states go.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »

Santorum wasn't crushed in one of the worst Presidential landslides though.  Wink

And what's this nonsense that he's "far too conservative" to win the nomination? How is he out of line with a majority of the other contenders (let alone out of line with a majority of Republicans)?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:56 PM »

Santorum wasn't crushed in one of the worst Presidential landslides though.  Wink

And what's this nonsense that he's "far too conservative" to win the nomination? How is he out of line with a majority of the other contenders (let alone out of line with a majority of Republicans)?

yeah, let him be crushed in 2012, so in 2024, if he tries to win the nomination again, we'll be able to say: "santorum 2024 = mcgovern 84???
Guderian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 06:12:13 PM »

Santorum wasn't crushed in one of the worst Presidential landslides though.  Wink

How many Republican hopefuls have brought dead fetuses home to socialize with their kids or compared gay sex with bestiality?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 07:17:50 PM »

Santorum isnt like McGovern, as he has never been nominated for President, then crushed in a landslide. Ofcourse, he did lose the Senate...bad...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »

Because he wasn't nominated.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »

Santorum wasn't crushed in one of the worst Presidential landslides though.  Wink

How many Republican hopefuls have brought dead fetuses home to socialize with their kids or compared gay sex with bestiality?

"To socialize with their kids."

You know, I have no problem debating Santorum's other activities/infamous statements but this is one that makes me too angry. What Santorum did was none of your business so to not only make it into a joke but to exaggerate what actually happened shows how disgustingly pathetic people like yourself really are. I still hope you're never in a situation like Santorum was in and having people critique and mock how you grieved over the loss of an infant.

And once again, we see "joke candidate" Santorum who isn't worthy of any attention, serious consideration, etc. getting plenty of attention. His haters give him more attention than I ever have.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »

Santorum 2012 = Perot 1996

It'd be in good spirit, but it'd never happen.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:10:57 AM »

One big difference between McGovern and Santorum, however, is that McGovern, unlike Santorum, never compared himself to one of the greatest statesmen in history, Winston Churchill.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like Santorum, and believe he was a good Senator.  As a Presidential candidate, however, he is seriously lacking, like McGovern.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 12:26:41 AM »

Yeah, I don't know what Rick was thinking when he said that. Churchill has nothing on Santorum.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »

I have a tough time seeing how one can completely rule out Palin (in the primary as well as the general) and yet think Santorum is capable of winning both.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:03 AM »

I have a tough time seeing how one can completely rule out Palin (in the primary as well as the general) and yet think Santorum is capable of winning both.

Yeah, I agree.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »

Yeah, I don't know what Rick was thinking when he said that. Churchill has nothing on Santorum.

I really hope you're joking.
Guderian

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2011, 01:36:51 PM by Guderian »

"To socialize with their kids."

You know, I have no problem debating Santorum's other activities/infamous statements but this is one that makes me too angry. What Santorum did was none of your business so to not only make it into a joke but to exaggerate what actually happened shows how disgustingly pathetic people like yourself really are. I still hope you're never in a situation like Santorum was in and having people critique and mock how you grieved over the loss of an infant.

Yeah, look everybody is entitled to their own opinion on the matter (normally I would say this was Santorum's private matter, but he brought the entire thing to the public). You might think it was a loving, caring, poignant thing to do, but most people I know who are aware of it think it's somewhere between creepy and bloody disgusting, especially in the light of how young his  kids were at the time. Most people wouldn't expose their pre-school kids to the dead grandma in the funeral home, let alone have them cuddle a stillborn and sing him lullabies (hence the socializing part).

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 02:12:10 PM »

And that's your preference. Personally, I wouldn't do it either but to mock him and his family about it especially after what they went through is "bloody disgusting."
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 12:04:41 AM »

No sane individual seriously believes that Santorum is capable of winning one, let alone both.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 12:12:54 AM »

To quote Bill Engvall: "Here's your sign".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »

Unusual? Undoubtedly.

But until one has lost a child--and no, I haven't. Though as I think as I've mentioned before my wife and I miscarried before we had the boys--one gets a free pass for any legal way of dealing with such grief.

A. Free. Pass.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 12:53:32 AM »

No sane individual seriously believes that Santorum is capable of winning one, let alone both.

Glad to see you like Santorum's chances, Winfield.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 01:02:17 AM »

I took a survey yesterday and it told me that the 2012 candidate I was most similar to was Rick Santorum. Not sure how, but that's what it said.

I don't think he'll win the primary, but I don't think he'll do as bad as people on here are saying. If Palin and Demint are running, he could be viewed as the "Not Completely Insane but still a huge Tea Party guy" candidate.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 01:12:40 AM »

he could be viewed as the "Not Completely Insane but still a huge Tea Party guy" candidate.

And then, he'll begin talking.....
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 01:28:10 AM »

Ah, but Phil my witty friend, you seem to be confused.  You see, being perfectly sane, it is clear to me that Santorum's campaign will begin as ludicrous and end as whimsical.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 01:29:20 AM »

Ah, but Phil my witty friend, you seem to be confused.  You see, being perfectly sane, it is clear to me that Santorum's campaign will begin as ludicrous and end as whimsical.

Fair enough, Winfield. At least my candidate stands for something. Is yours a moderate again? Or maybe to the left of Ted Kennedy this week? Reagan Conservative or an "Independent during Reagan - Bush?"
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies