George Will: Santorum and the base.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:52:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  George Will: Santorum and the base.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George Will: Santorum and the base.  (Read 606 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

That is only a theory, but this is a fact: Social conservatives are much of that base, are feeling neglected and are looking for someone like Santorum.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/02/AR2011020205042.html?hpid=opinionsbox1
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »

The real question is, does the base that he satifies believe he has the best shot at winning, or won't they care?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 12:35:50 PM »

The real question is, does the base that he satisfies believe he has the best shot at winning, or won't they care?

The "social conservatives" will be excited, much as core Republicans were excited about Goldwater in 1964 and core Democrats were excited about McGovern in 1972. That obviously wasn't enough.

In view of the results, that wasn't enough. If I were a rational Republican and were to win the Presidential nomination, then I wouldn't find "But he's from Pennsylvania" much of a reason to nominate him for VP. Cabinet post, maybe, but even that would be risky.

These days, "What plays in Vegas stays in Vegas" doesn't apply to politics.  He'd probably make some gaffe of either homophobia or religious bigotry as blatant as Sarah Palin's "Real America" spiel.     
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »

Santorum seems to betting that neither Huckabee nor Palin runs, but even then does that mean that he instantly gets the culture warriors on his side in IA and SC?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »

Santorum seems to betting that neither Huckabee nor Palin runs, but even then does that mean that he instantly gets the culture warriors on his side in IA and SC?

At bare minimum he's still got Thune to deal with. Quite possibly Barbour too. If so, they're decidedly more appealing vehicles than Santorum.

It seems he's basing his appeal on being the sole cultural warrior in the race, and that just doesn't seem likely. No matter under what rock you turn there's another one ready to step in.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 12:20:37 AM »

Good article. Two things:

, but Santorum doubts that Pawlenty has the passion requisite for connecting with "values voters." That is a Santorum theory.

Santorum is right.

How can he, having lost his last election, run for president? Isn't he a spent political force? Well, was Richard Nixon defunct after losing the California gubernatorial race in 1962?

For God's sake, George! Don't compare him to Nixon. How about Lincoln, who lost the Senate race to Douglas?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:24:56 AM »

At least Lincoln and Nixon came close in their races. Grin
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »

Santorum's biggest problem is the fact that he often makes controversial statements....good thing for him though is that they aren't often seen as "gaffes" and he doesn't repudiate them, thus he comes across as someone who means what he says.

Pawlenty vs. Santorum? Santorum in a heartbeat. I've seen Santorum speeches where I come away impressed. I haven't seen full speeches from Pawlenty because I've fallen asleep.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies