Erie County, PA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:15:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Erie County, PA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Erie County, PA  (Read 1239 times)
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:30:03 PM »

I'm wondering, how is this area so liberal. I mean, it was the only county W of the Susquehanna besides Allegheny that voted for Sestak, and THE ENTIRE COUNTY HAS AN LGBTIQ RIGHTS ORDINANCE. The only other COUNTYWIDE ordinances are in Allegheny and Pittsburgh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:06 PM »

I don't think it's socially liberal though I didn't know about the LGBTLMNOP ordinance. I guess the city of Erie would be the best way to explain that.

By the way, Pittsburgh isn't a county.  Wink
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:46 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2011, 11:18:51 PM by True Conservative »

I don't think it's socially liberal though I didn't know about the LGBTLMNOP ordinance. I guess the city of Erie would be the best way to explain that.

Right, I think that the OP was talking about Philadelphia (which is both the city and the county).

But also, the OP forgot another quite obvious factor--Obama won the county 59-39. McCain did better in Allegheny County! (Interestingly, though, Bush Jr. did better in Erie in 2004.)
Jordan Gwendolyn
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 11:41:43 PM »

Sorry, meant Philly
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »

Obama won the county 59-39. McCain did better in Allegheny County! (Interestingly, though, Bush Jr. did better in Erie in 2004.)

The economy meltdown explains that one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »

...paging Soulty ... oh wait, he doesn't post here anymore...
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »

Municipal turnout being what it is, it's often not that hard for a small group of very dedicated people to get things passed at the local level even where it isn't the most "natural" place for it in terms of the views of the population at large.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

Another interesting note is why such a high concentration of Tim Horton's donut shops?  This is the only area in PA that has a decent number.  Closest one to me is at a Tops Supermarket about an hour northwest of Scranton.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

I would view Erie County in the region that wraps around Lake Erie rather than in with W PA. That places it with areas from Buffalo to Toledo that are more like Erie, PA in political behavior. It just so happens that it's the only county in PA that touches the Great Lake, so its politics stick out more than it would if it were in OH or NY.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 11:41:50 PM »

Another interesting note is why such a high concentration of Tim Horton's donut shops?  This is the only area in PA that has a decent number.  Closest one to me is at a Tops Supermarket about an hour northwest of Scranton.

Because Timmy's is a Canadian chain, Erie is closer to Canada, along the major route for Torontonians driving to Florida for the winter, and closer to Dublin, Ohio, home of Wendy's, which owned Tim Horton's for a while.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:19:26 PM »

Yeah, that's relevant.  Tongue

By the way, regarding your signature: you should see the street that one of my friends lives on around me. Besides chairs and other patio furniture, there was a kid's Big Wheel saving a spot. Now that's a first.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »

Yeah, that's relevant.  Tongue

By the way, regarding your signature: you should see the street that one of my friends lives on around me. Besides chairs and other patio furniture, there was a kid's Big Wheel saving a spot. Now that's a first.

I would love to see Tim Horton's kick/buy out Krispy Krape out of our area, but anyways...

Wow, a kid's Big Wheel is kinda funny! 
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »

Before reading this thread, I had no idea that Tim Horton's existed in the U.S. Good to know! Unfortunately, it appears there are none close to where I live.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies